Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Windower » Support » crashing when switching over to pol
crashing when switching over to pol
By Jetackuu 2017-02-23 11:59:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Unfortunately when it happens it is typically what people have to resort to. It usually happens on 8/10 though, not 7, which is what I find odd.
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-02-23 20:33:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Fyrestorm said: »
Any luck with this? I've had the same issue for a while now. Reinstalled FFXI/Windower and such. I've changed most settings on nvidia/POL/Windower etc and no luck.

Short of reinstalling windows I'm out of ideas. It's quite frustrating.

nope. No solution yet. Posted in windower support a week or so ago and not even a reply there. I guess its lucky i spent so many years playing the normal way. At least now im quite used to it.

Jetackuu said: »
Unfortunately when it happens it is typically what people have to resort to. It usually happens on 8/10 though, not 7, which is what I find odd.

What i find odd is why it was working to begin with and not now. When the only thing to change in that time period was the monthly update. No changes were made to my comp at all.
By Jetackuu 2017-02-24 10:49:31
Link | Quote | Reply

If you know the last known date that it was working try to do a restore point to that date (make a current one to revert if it's no good).
MSPaint Winner
By Skjalfeirdotter 2017-02-24 11:03:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmmm wonder if this is happening to Skjalf as well...

crashed 3 or 4 times within a last couple / few hours

not sure if its because of recent windows update or because Skjalf was changing gear right when zoning / recently moved gear around...
MSPaint Winner
By Skjalfeirdotter 2017-02-24 11:10:34
Link | Quote | Reply

actually just crashed again when getting rewards from Ambuscade NPC ><

Time to start unloading plugins / uninstalling Windows Update :S
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-02-24 16:00:51
Link | Quote | Reply

If you know the last known date that it was working try to do a restore point to that date (make a current one to revert if it's no good).

i thought about that. But it doesnt look like i made a restore point. I was planning on it after everything was in the comp and cleaned up. And basically, the monitor was the very last thing to do before it was all completed and then i was going to. Sadly, it was just a few days short.

I did try going in and removing all windows updates i found between the time it was working and now. But that made no difference either.

Right now, i honestly cant think of anything else.
By Jetackuu 2017-02-24 17:19:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly since you just installed I'd say wipe and reinstall from scratch.

Also I highly recommend downloading one of the Windows 7 rollup packs (make sure your disc installs SP1 at least) and the prerequest KB as well that way you can install all (the vast majority of) your Windows updates from those two, also do them while offline, so it doesn't do that bug where it tries to find updates for several hours.

Or if you want (since your PC is halfway decent now) make a vmware player VM of windows 7 and give it like 2-3GB of ram (if you have at least 8) and install XI in that. That way it's sandboxed, that's how I play and somehow I manage to avoid most of the crashes that others have.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-02-24 17:53:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly since you just installed I'd say wipe and reinstall from scratch.
id say you have no idea how much that makes me want to /cry ... but im guessing you actually do.

Also I highly recommend downloading one of the Windows 7 rollup packs (make sure your disc installs SP1 at least) and the prerequest KB as well that way you can install all (the vast majority of) your Windows updates from those two, also do them while offline, so it doesn't do that bug where it tries to find updates for several hours.
not sure what a rollup pack is or how to go about that. The first time tho it didnt take all to overwhelmingly long to run updates. Just a few restarts.
Edit* read up on this. Seems basic enough.

Or if you want (since your PC is halfway decent now) make a vmware player VM of windows 7 and give it like 2-3GB of ram (if you have at least 8) and install XI in that. That way it's sandboxed, that's how I play and somehow I manage to avoid most of the crashes that others have.
i have no idea what that even means honestly. The only thing i ccan say to that is this machine does have 8gb ram.
MSPaint Winner
By Skjalfeirdotter 2017-02-24 18:20:36
Link | Quote | Reply

now it seems that Windower (or POL) is crashing after Skjalf is alt-tabbed to a different window or with game minimized... but it doesn't happen immediately. 7 or 8 crashes today. Not sure if its last nVidia update or what. Think the game has also crashed just talking with NPC. ><
 Shiva.Kasaioni
Server: Shiva
user: Kasaioni
By Shiva.Kasaioni 2017-02-24 19:49:18
Link | Quote | Reply

One of these days I'll do a fresh install of Windows 10, one of these days.
By Fyrestorm 2017-02-25 07:38:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I ended up dual booting windows 7 onto a different partition. I'll use my quicker windows 10 drive for everything else. Was winding me up that I couldn't play. As soon as the devs fix it/windower 5 gets released I'll just format the partition.

I tried so much to get it to work, and got nowhere and as the devs seem to be pretty deep into windower 5 and can't replicate it to fix it. Seemed no other choice. Didn't want to reformat Windows 10 just for it to happen again.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-02-27 00:23:45
Link | Quote | Reply

not sure if im happy about this or annoyed.. but i think i found the reason for windower crashing as it switches over to pol.

I reinstalled windows 7, all my programs and all my files. Annoying to say the least. Loaded up windower after each one to see if there was a change. And this particular error occurred once the antivirus firewall was turned on. Im not sure as to why its effecting it. My other XP comps have the same software and dont have this issue. But when i turned it off, it seemed to work again. So atm im guessing its the issue.

I do however now have an issue where it crashes when i shut down the game, but at least thats at the end. And its ironically the same issue both my XP comps have. Of course windower support wouldnt help on that issue the moment the heard XP. But now its the same thin on win7. But thats something for a later date. Gotta figure out how to deal with this firewall issue for now.
By Jetackuu 2017-03-03 15:27:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Which antivirus are you running?

But yes when you shut down XI it has a crash with Windower, pretty sure that happens to everyone.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-03-03 15:52:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Eacceleration. I already contacted them about it. But nothing they could think of at the time made a difference either. Eventually they jsut suggested for now to use the windows 7 fire wall instead of theres.
By Jetackuu 2017-03-04 06:08:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I just use Windows defender and the built in, although I should upgrade to a better firewall (I planned to when this guy I know was going to ship some equipment including a firewall (hardware)).
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-03-04 06:46:45
Link | Quote | Reply

But yes when you shut down XI it has a crash with Windower, pretty sure that happens to everyone.

Why is this? Seems like something they would want to fix after all this time. (Tho at least its at the end of game play)
By Jetackuu 2017-03-04 07:26:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Because it's not really an issue? A mild annoyance at best, and it may not be fixable. It's done it for as long as I recall. I imagine there's info about it though.

edit: http://forums.windower.net/index.php?/topic/34-windower-crashing-pol-on-shutdown/

tl;dr use //terminate