Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 10 11 12
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-11 15:02:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Did you read the Corellian trilogy?

I think that's the second-best trilogy of the EU, tbh.
By Zerowone 2017-10-11 15:03:44
Link | Quote | Reply

They haven't completely departed from the extended universe.

Example: Kylo Ren aka Ben Solo being an amalgam of Jacen Solo and Ben Skywalker.
By Ramyrez 2017-10-11 15:04:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't even remember all the books I read. I didn't read those.

I read Zahn's initial three. I read Truce at Bakura which I didn't care for. I read the Courtship of Princess Leia, which I didn't like much at all. I read one or two of the later novels that were given to me as gifts that I thought were just terrible despite some interesting concepts that I expect them to use in the current trilogy.

Like I said. KOTOR was far and away the best thing about the EU, imo.
By Ramyrez 2017-10-11 15:05:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Zerowone said: »

Example: Kylo Ren aka Ben Solo being an amalgam of Jacen Solo and Ben Skywalker.

Aye.

There's that.

All I want is HK-47 to make a cameo and call Poe & Finn stupid meatbags.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-11 15:06:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
I didn't read those.
/sends Ramy his Christmas gift early.
By Zerowone 2017-10-11 15:12:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Aye.

There's that.

Too bad we won't get IG-88 and 4-LOM cameos either.
By anik 2017-10-11 17:17:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Aye.

There's that.

Too bad we won't get IG-88 and 4-LOM cameos either.
same
By volkom 2017-10-11 18:28:31
Link | Quote | Reply

i feel like luke is gonna die and also some how become a villain
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-11 19:11:47
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
Naw, he's going to lose his other hand to his father mother while holding onto his dear life losing a lightsaber battle with Kylo.
By anik 2017-10-11 19:31:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
volkom said: »
Naw, he's going to lose his other hand to his father mother while holding onto his dear life losing a lightsaber battle with Kylo.
LUUUUUKE, YOU ARE MY FATHER!
YouTube Video Placeholder
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-10-12 06:43:46
Link | Quote | Reply

As long as one of the below doesn't happen, the movies will probably be just fine:

Rei and Kylo share an intimate moment, only to both get a sensation from the Force revealing--Ew! We're siblings!

Snoke is revealed to be Darth Maul, Count Dooku, Anakin Skywalker or Emperor Palpatine as a surprise twist--Haha! I was hiding behind the couch the whole time!

C-3P0 and R2-D2 must journey to Mustafar with only the aid of a Porg to dispose of the One Kaiburr Crystal of More Dough.
By Ramyrez 2017-10-12 07:52:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Cherrywine said: »
Count Dooku,

Ok, I realize Carrie Fisher is still in this one despite having passed away due to the timing of filming, but I don't think we have the Hollywood magic to reanimate Christopher Lee with his unholy level of talent intact.

I continue to hope he's entirely his own being. Not someone from the Skywalker's past bent on destroying the family or something. Someone with motives who just happened to find the tools of chaos he needed in Kylo Ren and the like.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-12 08:11:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Rei and Kylo share an intimate moment, only to both get a sensation from the Force revealing--Ew! We're siblings!
Probably going to happen. We already know that Disney is rehashing plot devices (Death Star 2.0 anyone?), so it's highly likely that this is going to be the "big reveal" in episode IX.

Snoke is revealed to be Darth Maul, Count Dooku, Anakin Skywalker or Emperor Palpatine as a surprise twist--Haha! I was hiding behind the couch the whole time!
Second big reveal in episode IX.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2017-10-12 08:16:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably going to happen. We already know that Disney is rehashing plot devices (Death Star 2.0 anyone?), so it's highly likely that this is going to be the "big reveal" in episode IX.

Now, now. You can't blast Death Star 3.0 (remember how the original trilogy did 2.0?) when the EU already did it before this, albeit in a slightly different way.
By Ramyrez 2017-10-12 08:18:39
Link | Quote | Reply

My personal desire is to see the fan theory that Rey is the descendent of Kenobi come true. But I don't know about that one being likely.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-12 08:22:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Now, now. You can't blast Death Star 3.0 (remember how the original trilogy did 2.0?) when the EU already did it before this, albeit in a slightly different way.
I thought you were going to bring up Darksaber.

Death Star 2 isn't really 2.0, because it's just a rebuilt Death Star.

Sun Crusher isn't really Death Star 2.0 because it's a single-pilot mass murder machine that destroys entire solar systems.

At least with Darksaber, it's basically Death Star without the bulk.
By Ramyrez 2017-10-12 08:34:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Look, all I'm saying is Star Wars very, very quickly fell into the trap of, "Oh ***. we left no room for our threats to grow bigger because we went for the throat with the first entry."
 Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2017-10-12 09:23:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I just hope they aren't continuing the recycled themes of the original trilogy like they did with TFA. When I saw the latest trailer and saw this scene:

I immediately thought back to this from The Empire Strikes Back:

Now granted, I totally understand Disney's need (desire, obligation) to not only reel in a brand new generation of film-goers but also do justice to millions of fans who grew up with the original movies.

But is this what we have to look forward to? Are we going to see Ewoks, high speed speeder chases through lush dense rain forests and a brother/sister reveal in Episode IX?
By Ramyrez 2017-10-12 09:29:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Avallon said: »
Now granted, I totally understand Disney's need (desire, obligation) to not only reel in a brand new generation of film-goers but also do justice to millions of fans who grew up with the original movies.

But is this what we have to look forward to? Are we going to see Ewoks, high speed speeder chases through lush dense rain forests and a brother/sister reveal in Episode IX?

I understand why the thought enrages people. I personally don't want to seem them go that direction. But I really liked TFA a lot and if they do end up going that route, I won't be overly mad either.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-12 09:45:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes to everything.

We will also find out that Kojo is Snoke.
[+]
 Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2017-10-12 09:47:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I liked TFA despite the homages to ANH throughout and I felt the story was original enough to stand on its own. But after seeing the trailer for TLJ the other day, I'm more or less convinced that the Lucasfilm Story Group is who's calling the shots on the direction of the movie - regardless who is sitting in the directors chair.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-12 09:51:39
Link | Quote | Reply

But after seeing the trailer for TLJ the other day, I'm more or less convinced that the Lucasfilm Story Group is who's calling the shots on the direction of the movie - regardless who is sitting in the directors chair.
That can't be right.

If it was, then they wouldn't have thrown out the EU as canon in the first place.
 Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2017-10-12 09:57:45
Link | Quote | Reply

But after seeing the trailer for TLJ the other day, I'm more or less convinced that the Lucasfilm Story Group is who's calling the shots on the direction of the movie - regardless who is sitting in the directors chair.
That can't be right.

If it was, then they wouldn't have thrown out the EU as canon in the first place.

Well the reason I came to that conclusion is I watched (all) of the extra stuff after Rogue One, and there was quite a bit of commentary from the Lucasfilm Story Group regarding Gareth Edwards and the story for Rogue One.

I didn't realize just how much influence they really have with the final decisions on what is shown on screen. They are also part of the reason why the 2 Lego directors got fired from the Han Solo project.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-12 10:06:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, Rogue One was set between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope. So it makes sense if Lucasfilm had some say in the story.

But speaking of Rogue One, I'm pissed off at how much they practically destroyed one of the plot devices of A New Hope. I mean, the original movie made it look like the Death Star hasn't been used at all until it destroys Alderaan. Rogue One make it that not only was the Death Star used, it was used twice.

It's like bastardizing the Death Star. It wasn't a "one and done" deal, it was "passed around like the village ***" deal!
By Ramyrez 2017-10-12 10:28:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Ehh. I'm okay with some of the digs on TFA even though I really liked it, but I felt Rogue One was super good. You know they had to do a test fire or two before impressing Leia with it and all. Tarkin wasn't going to embarrass himself like that.
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-10-12 11:10:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Two funny comments to add...

Two test tickles...

Engineer (Upon firing the Death Star and reading the display): Death Star is operational, sir.

Asura.Saevel said: »
I won't make any assumptions until more information is available.
Saevel (Upon firing the Death Star and reading the display): Death Star is operational.
 Shiva.Shruiken
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Shruiken 2017-10-12 14:10:37
Link | Quote | Reply

My personal desire is to see the fan theory that Rey is the descendent of Kenobi come true. But I don't know about that one being likely.

A Kenobi or a Palpatine. If the "big reveal" is that she's Luke's daughter or Kylo Ren and Stimpy's sister and we all go DUHH that'd be kinda underwhelming imo..

Way cooler if after the Jedi lost and Obi-Wan was exiled on Tatooine, he said "*** a vow" and slipped off to Mos Eisley to find somewhere to stick his lightsaber.

And you know the homie Emperor Palpatine was slangin' *** from the Core to the Outer Rim.
[+]
 Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2017-10-12 16:19:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I think Luke is a Grey Jedi in the next movie, which by virtue means Rey would be trained (or led to be trained) in both arts also.

See artwork depicting one who dabbles in both the Dark and the Light, lol.

Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2017-10-12 16:21:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Also...

[+]
 Carbuncle.Stiltz
Server: Carbuncle
user: Stiltz
By Carbuncle.Stiltz 2017-10-12 16:47:47
Link | Quote | Reply

All hope for a better movie than the first "sequel" died the moment I saw the lineup of knuckle-dragging Ape walkers.
The new conceptualizations belong in a Michael Bay creative-design intern's garbage can; which is a fairly nice and considerably short way of putting it.

Everything about Force Awakens was fundamentally HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE - which is why I'm glad I waited two years and watched it for free on a free HBO sample weekend.
It was the try-hard attempt to outdo something that was already bigger and better, and it reached the point of lunatic stupidity as far as story/design is concerned.

I'm not saying a giant space-station that can pop planets like M80s is realistic - but it made a whole damn lot more sense than Giant mecha Sun-eating magnifying glass planet. Call it what it is, kids. It's HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. It's *** HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. That idea is so fundamentally HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE that you could actually hold a contest for first graders to come up with a better idea for a ten dollar grand prize - AND THEY WOULD.

Go ahead. Throw around that "nostalgic fanboy" claim all you want - those people have a better vision of what Star Wars should look like than J.J. Abrams or anyone at Disney does. Disney just wants the merchandising rights, but they don't actually know how to produce the kind of model to have the same level of success that 80's/90's Star Wars merchandise did. That's how we ended up with "Silvertits the Stormtrooper" and Darth Acne.

I can promise you that there weren't kids lining up and begging their parents to buy them Darth Tardhelmet the way Boba Fett and Vader figurines used to sell. It's a matter of fundamental design elements trying to be "out-done" by your facially pierced unicorn hair-dyed digital artists trying to put their own unique and modern twist on something that doesn't benefit from it.

Not to mention the countless thousand of "canon" Star Wars books and games that would've been the setup to a better story if they had consulted anyone that had ever seen or worked on Star Wars first. *** it, throw that ***out the window.

Say what you will, but the limited-resource Jim Henson/Frank Oz puppet show working under Light & Magic's thirty dollar budget was capable of producing a far greater cinematic presentation than Disney's billion dollar animation team will ever be capable of.

It's all just a bit too much-ery.

Predictions:
- Bad acting
- Affirmative Actiontroopers
- Return of Boba Fett at some point, despite him having little to no purpose in the current plot.
- Snoke is either Darth Nihilus, Darth Plagueis, or this, like, super original character that we came up with all by ourselves!
- Palpatine's Star Destroyer shows up for no reason, blows up something unimportant; is ultimately destroyed by a chirping force-sensitive hamster that accidentally fires a proton torpedo into the only vulnerable point on a ship that could hold twenty of Vader's Executors.

( Protip: The prequels were hard to watch because they replaced story and character development with S P E C I A L E F F E C T S . )
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 10 11 12