New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Ambuscade » Ambuscade Findings
Ambuscade Findings
First Page 2 3 ... 14 15 16 ... 28 29 30
By Verda 2016-08-05 21:00:41
Link | Quote | Reply

In regards to intense:
Rampart, or One for All and mana wall should be kind of ridiculous tbh.

I also think a waltzing dancer could do a lot in this fight cuz you know manaless aoe heals and stuff.
By Verda 2016-08-05 21:01:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Snaps said: »
I was talking about intense btw, although based on your testimony I'm sure a mage set up could work on normal ambuscade too.
Oh ya no worries I just hadn't posted my (well the group I was with) findings yet for normal :D Sorry for confusion.
By Pantafernando 2016-08-05 22:18:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Verda said: »
Not sure if already posted for the normal fight but is my findings, on entrance the add on your left is weak to physical and the add on your right is weak to magical. If you kill an add, the other add gets shock spikes and is very hard to melee. If you kill the left add only (the side with their huge arm, omg SE made a funny), it removes the physical DT of the main which starts in the middle. It made cdc go from 5k to 23k after killing the left add, which also dies very quickly because it is weak to physical.

We did a setup with THF RUN GEO BRD WHM Trust WHM today and we had a few hiccups but then it was smooth sailing. One skillchain is enough to kill the add (Resolution -> Rudra). Then you can kill the Main NM. It's not too worth skillchaining on him because he takes almost no magic damage. Killed him with about 3 resolution and 2 stacked WS and an unstacked WS. Also run with RUN COR BLU GEO BRD WHM and was also very fast. Last Stands do a lot of damage to both the add and the main NM.

Things to watch out for, I'd sub NIN on THF even though they clear it a lot with an aoe magic move. Keep at least 21% DT if you have hate, if shadows gone go full DT mode, even with 21% DT sinker drill did 1500 dmg to me, full DT was more like 950. If WHM is responsive and you use Scherzo you won't have much chance of dying. I'd kill first with a sneak attack, use trick attack on the main nm and then finish the fight with some unstacked and a sneak attack ws. That way you minimize any time you're either in front of them or have much hate.

We didn't try a mage setup killing only the one on the right add to remove magic damage taken maybe? We originally tried killing both first the right then the left, and it only took good physical but there's a possibility it only becomes weak to the last add you killed.

Regarding Shock Spike, the RDM acrolith (Studious Acrolith) starts with that, plus shell, protect and enthunder, so it will take quite a few dispel/finales to remove that. And the Studious seems to have moderate meva, rocking a 5/5 nq jhakri wont do the trick.

Scherzo is definitively good once youre zerging as Quirinus will use Dismemberment when hes buffed with mighty strikes, berserk and warcry. One possibility would be dispelling berserk/warcry but it seems Quirinus has high magic resistance for both light/darkness (finale and dispel), so its more a matter or curebombing while killing. Quirinus Berserk will make the fight pretty short though.

Also worth to notice, the severe damage that Quirinus moves deals are amplified by the Sinker Drill defense down, so, sacrifice would be a good move to toss in between cures, if there is time ofc.
By Verda 2016-08-05 22:21:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Good points Panta :D

I actual used aura steal on warcry, and it has a chance of stealing two buffs instead of one, it never missed if I remembered to use it. The timer is long but it's good for short fights like this :)
By Mookies 2016-08-05 22:32:12
Link | Quote | Reply

In regards to intense:
Rampart, or One for All and mana wall should be kind of ridiculous tbh.

I also think a waltzing dancer could do a lot in this fight cuz you know manaless aoe heals and stuff.

Not sure DNC could keep up with healing considering the CD on their abilities and the frequency of TP moves used. But maybe.
By Verda 2016-08-05 22:35:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Well one of my LS has a DNC who prides himself in his waltz sets and he's done some nice stuff when our whm's have died before so maybe I'll let be able to let you know :) Is hard to find all the ppl on at the right time to test stuff out though unfortunately :(
By Afania 2016-08-06 11:18:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
Not sure if already posted for the normal fight but is my findings, on entrance the add on your left is weak to physical and the add on your right is weak to magical. If you kill an add, the other add gets shock spikes and is very hard to melee. If you kill the left add only (the side with their huge arm, omg SE made a funny), it removes the physical DT of the main which starts in the middle. It made cdc go from 5k to 23k after killing the left add, which also dies very quickly because it is weak to physical.

We did a setup with THF RUN GEO BRD WHM Trust WHM today and we had a few hiccups but then it was smooth sailing. One skillchain is enough to kill the add (Resolution -> Rudra). Then you can kill the Main NM. It's not too worth skillchaining on him because he takes almost no magic damage. Killed him with about 3 resolution and 2 stacked WS and an unstacked WS. Also run with RUN COR BLU GEO BRD WHM and was also very fast. Last Stands do a lot of damage to both the add and the main NM.

Things to watch out for, I'd sub NIN on THF even though they clear it a lot with an aoe magic move. Keep at least 21% DT if you have hate, if shadows gone go full DT mode, even with 21% DT sinker drill did 1500 dmg to me, full DT was more like 950. If WHM is responsive and you use Scherzo you won't have much chance of dying. I'd kill first with a sneak attack, use trick attack on the main nm and then finish the fight with some unstacked and a sneak attack ws. That way you minimize any time you're either in front of them or have much hate.

We didn't try a mage setup killing only the one on the right add to remove magic damage taken maybe? We originally tried killing both first the right then the left, and it only took good physical but there's a possibility it only becomes weak to the last add you killed.

Regarding Shock Spike, the RDM acrolith (Studious Acrolith) starts with that, plus shell, protect and enthunder, so it will take quite a few dispel/finales to remove that. And the Studious seems to have moderate meva, rocking a 5/5 nq jhakri wont do the trick.

Scherzo is definitively good once youre zerging as Quirinus will use Dismemberment when hes buffed with mighty strikes, berserk and warcry. One possibility would be dispelling berserk/warcry but it seems Quirinus has high magic resistance for both light/darkness (finale and dispel), so its more a matter or curebombing while killing. Quirinus Berserk will make the fight pretty short though.

Also worth to notice, the severe damage that Quirinus moves deals are amplified by the Sinker Drill defense down, so, sacrifice would be a good move to toss in between cures, if there is time ofc.

If you roll with tanks in your setup wouldn't tank just soak the dmg from tp moves? It may hurt a DD in full dps sets but it barely deal any dmg on RUN. Tanked a few NM yesterday and we didn't even need a healer.
By Verda 2016-08-06 12:02:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ideally yea, I think the RUN was using DD sets tho and focusing on that and I was sometimes tanking xD
 Sylph.Dravidian
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Eliseus
By Sylph.Dravidian 2016-08-06 12:21:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Idk if worth noting, but we discovered yesterday in our strat of killing the physical add, then the boss, whoever gets the killing blow seems to have perma threat (or just significantly high threat) on the main boss right when the add dies.
 Bismarck.Dunigs
Server: Bismarck
user: Dunigs
By Bismarck.Dunigs 2016-08-06 13:26:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Dravidian said: »
Idk if worth noting, but we discovered yesterday in our strat of killing the physical add, then the boss, whoever gets the killing blow seems to have perma threat (or just significantly high threat) on the main boss right when the add dies.

Whatever physical SDT you remove by killing the melee add is also either on a timer (probably proportional to how long you have 'guaranteed' hate), or maybe is gained back if they kill the person they decided to gangbang. Was 2box healing on a single DD run and let myself die accidentally, by the time arise timer was off it was back to taking its normal reduced damage. Didn't bother trying again since can do ~3min clear without killing adds and just having RUN tank the whole time which seemed like less of a headache to me.
By Pantafernando 2016-08-06 14:43:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Im sure killing Overpowering Acrolith wont automatically redirect Quirinus on killer. I do notice some change when both adds are killed, but when I kill Overpowering first, he would still have hate on my healer.
By Pantafernando 2016-08-06 14:47:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, i notice some increase in Quirinus dmg when an add is killed. Eyeballing, i would say double dmg (unless its the effect of warcry, i will check it later).
 Sylph.Dravidian
user: Eliseus
By Sylph.Dravidian 2016-08-06 14:56:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »

Im sure killing Overpowering Acrolith wont automatically redirect Quirinus on killer. I do notice some change when both adds are killed, but when I kill Overpowering first, he would still have hate on my healer.

I wonder if it has anything to do with actually having it claimed? The attempt we found this out I went paladin for fun, so had it all claimed and that was when we noticed it.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2016-08-06 15:08:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it's just because they have shared hate and both the add and the main NM (after the add is killed) take high damage.
 Shiva.Ahampt
Server: Shiva
user: Ahampt
By Shiva.Ahampt 2016-08-10 13:24:17
Link | Quote | Reply

anyone know strategy for intense aumbuscade
By BlaTheTaru 2016-08-10 14:10:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Ahampt said: »
anyone know strategy for intense aumbuscade

Make tig stand in the back.
 Asura.Sabishii
Server: Asura
user: Sabishii
By Asura.Sabishii 2016-08-14 20:03:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Llewelyn said: »
Couple extra notes on Muzzling Wallop:

- MP loss seems to be about Damage Taken x5. So taking 200 damage would deplete 1000 of your MP
- Might be fire based. Unda Valiance does seem to help a bit with reducing the damage on it.

We also found a way to negate it completely:
We've found that a BLU doing Diffusion Magic Barrier is a very good way to protect everyone's MP since normal Stoneskins would be quickly taken out from the boss's AoE auto attacks. We got hit by 2 Muzzling Wallops but lost 0 MP since everyone took 0 damage both times thanks to Magic Barrier. I believe this paired with Unda Valiance is the best way to handle Muzzling Wallop. Just have to make sure your WHM doesn't overwrite it with Solace Stoneskin.

Thank you for that tip on magic barrier, I'm spamming Normal Intense, and getting 2x the gallantry, and 100 more hallmarks than VD normal ambuscade. It's great!
 Shiva.Arislan
Server: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2016-08-24 07:51:14
Link | Quote | Reply

A bit late in the month to be finding this out, but thought I'd share... Volume 1 can be done in a mage group in under 3-5 min: RUN/BLU, 2SCH, BLM, GEO, WHM:

- Kill order: Big Boss > Trainer (BST) > Rest
- BOG/Ecliptic + Geo-Languor, Indi-Focus, Entrust-Acumen,
- Accession Regen V,
- Pull: Flash/Foil -> Pull to wall.
- Reverberation chain,
- Unda x3, Valiance, Rayke/Gambit on Big Boss,
- Mages idle in -dt and try to keep Stoneskin up,
- RUN switch to Tenebrae x3/Pflug for Trainer to counter Charm,
- After BST, there's no danger at all.

1200 Hallmarks, 500 Gallantry, Ergons optional.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2016-08-25 02:20:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I tanked VD Intense with my average non-ergon RUN.
We do kill BST last though.
Totally possible without Epeolatry but it's gonna be "intense" :P
If you get bad luck with timing and too many TP moves at the same time from boss/helpers might mean a wipe.

Another way to go is to use SPs in the fight and reset them in Mhaura with a Wildcard mule, if you have access to one or multiple of those.
With the use of SPs the best setup I found is:

RUN (/WHM subjob is the one I found to be the best for me)
SCH healer (Regen5+Embrava make many things trivial)
GEO (I don't remember which bubbles we used in the end because we tested around a bit with Vex, think we settled for Accuracy+Attack. If you bolster you don't need further acc bonuses for your melees)
BLU (other DDs viable but of course BLU offers way too much for lowmen stuff like this. Mighty Guard, that AoE healing spell etc)
COR (if you don't bolster you might need Hunter's. If it's not a ddCOR you can honestly bring a second DD. BLU once again is the best option here but other jobs viable. I've done runs with an awesome DRK for instance)
BRD (having a real player and not a mule makes a difference here, helping with heals etc. Songs used on BRD were a couple of ballads, honor march and last 2 songs according to what your party needs (minuet, madrigal, more ballads etc)

Without SPs abilities WHM is likely better because of stronger Barfira, Solace and stuff.
We found out that Barfire greatly reduces the chances of the boss' TP move to reduce MP to zero, so use runes accordingly on RUN.
The spell Magic Barrier can offer similar defense for a little while, and likewise One For All from RUN (they don't stack, and can only use Magic Barrier if you have 2x BLU because the first will use Mighty Guard of course)
Before we learned the Barfira trick we had to rely on 3x Ballad (+Marcato) and JA empowered Evoker's Roll from COR.
With Barfira you can probably survive with just 1-2 ballads, especially if you Soul Voice.

We killed BST last if I recall, I think our GEO swapped one of his bubbles for Vex during BST.
Once the megaboss is dead it's very hard to fail this fight. Do not forget about the RNG who can EES, on VD it can oneshot a DD if you don't take measures against it.
[+]
 Cerberus.Gillesjboulon
Server: Cerberus
user: gilles
By Cerberus.Gillesjboulon 2016-08-27 23:51:25
Link | Quote | Reply

small question for september :

Assuming ambuscade vol 1 will still be beastmen type, does this image means vol 2 will require to kill 10 mobs type beasts (gnole) ?
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-08-27 23:57:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Safe to assume Gnoles/Beasts will be Vol 2, yeah.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2016-08-28 01:13:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Intense will supposedly be Mamool, although I'm surprised they aren't going for RoZ beastmen first (assuming the source is correct, which seems to be the case given that they are probably right about it being O/U for the Master Trial).
By RolandJ 2016-08-28 14:44:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I have some information on enmity in regards to Ambuscade to share here and I just recently posted it on BG-Wiki.

Quote:
A Word On Enmity

Enmity functions abnormally in just one way in Ambuscade and this has entirely to do with enmity gain upon self/party actions
  • Any action (buff, cure, job ability) at any time (before/after pull) taken upon yourself or a party member will gain enmity on all mobs for the person initiating the action.

This explains why the mobs often go straight for your WHM upon the pull. Protectra, Shellra, and two Bar-spells equal 24 (6*4) party action enmity events if 6 players are in range.
  • To counter this have your tank use self/party-target enmity actions (Sentinel, Rampart, Pflug, etc) shortly before and/or during the pull.

• This will ensure that the tank has the highest value of enmity on all of the mobs without using any sort of AoE beforehand for the purpose of normal hate gain eligibility requirements.

This is VERY evident in Llewelyn's video that is halfway down the previous page of this thread. At 1:25 Llewelyn's diaga gets interrupted during the pull but the JA that Llewelyn uses immediately afterwards results in all of the mobs immediately gaining newfound interest in eating Llewelyn for lunch.
Notice that they were headed straight in the direction of the support line jobs up until the point that Llewelyn uses said JA, at which point a few of them make a almost full U-turn in order to head towards Llewelyn instead!

Certainly many of the patrons of this thread already know this, such as Llewelyn, whose posts I always look for every month for Intense VD-related advice (thanks, Llewelyn!), but since I didn't find it put in writing at the two ambuscade information hubs that I know of, bg-wiki's ambuscade page and this particular thread, I figured that starting off by posting it on bg-wiki would be a good step toward making the information very easily attainable without any sort of obscure search being required. Perhaps we could also add this information to the original post of this thread?

In before braggarts & hotshots: I find plenty of people ingame who are unaware of the intimate details of this mechanic and so I sincerely doubt that it is universally common knowledge. And so if you claim that "everyone knows this stuff" then, well, it might be common knowledge for you and possibly your group of friends, but not so for many of the rest of us at this point. :P

Keep up the good work, guys, this thread is quite helpful for each months ambuscades in my experience!
[+]
 Asura.Azriel
user: Azriel
By Asura.Azriel 2016-08-28 14:47:19
Link | Quote | Reply

RolandJ said: »
I find plenty of people ingame who are unaware of this mechanic

Not just this mechanic <.< Ty for sharing! :D
[+]
By RolandJ 2016-08-28 14:48:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Azriel said: »
Not just this mechanic <.< Ty for sharing! :D

Haha, you're welcome ^^
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2016-08-28 16:39:04
Link | Quote | Reply

That is actually pretty nice information. Was pretty obvious that all actions were treated as if you were already on hate list, but completely missed that enmity starts to accrue before the mobs have even been aggroed. Thanks for sharing.
[+]
By Draylo 2016-08-28 16:40:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't know that either, thanks Roland
[+]
 Sylph.Oraen
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2016-09-06 02:55:43
Link | Quote | Reply

VERY preliminary findings on the regular ambuscade for the month:

- Possesses very high DT when on four legs. Melee swings barely broke 190 with Dunna fury/frailty, outside of AM3 procs. CDC had an issue getting above 10k. Skillchain damage was also heavily reduced.

- Eventually stood on hind legs at approximately 10%, at which point damage skyrocketed and he was dead within 2 seconds. Not sure what caused him to stand.

- Has a fairly significant counter trait, but does not hit hard.

- Pandemic Claw is single-hit with an attached Virus and Defense Down. We had him chainstunned with Sudden Lunge, so we didn't see much of his TP moves.

- Accuracy requirements seem quite minimal. I was capped with 1210, while our Mythic/Emp DNC was 95% with 1160.

Currently surveying prospective spots for KI farming, will do more fights soon.
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-09-06 03:01:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Playing around with Intense Difficult to learn some stuff. Troub Horde Lullaby lands on stuff this time around. Adds are simple and go down easy, but the boss is srs bzns. Seems to have high PDT and Dessucate can potentially 1-shot surrounding DDs. Has a move called Hemotoxin Wheel which is single target moderate damage, 2 minute Charm and Poison.

Going to try a run killing the boss first. Killing him last he got to the point where he was doing 1000 damage auto attacks to my Epeo RUN in PDT gear. <.<
 Quetzalcoatl.Kainstryder
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Kainstryder 2016-09-06 03:03:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Intense Ambuscade initial findings:

Adds are PLD DRG MNK WHM, Mega Boss is NIN

Boss seemed to take decent damage until adds were killed; SMN magic attacks across all elements didn't break 500. Had extremely high attack after a while; Mythic RUN was being hit for 400-600, eventually died and would hit mages and such for 2260, 3600 criticals. Got it to 94% screwing around on Normal. Most of them have auras, no idea what they do.
First Page 2 3 ... 14 15 16 ... 28 29 30