users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » Fallout 4
Fallout 4
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 ... 21 22 23
By Ramyrez 2015-11-25 15:22:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Grumpy Cat said: »
Ramyrez said: »
I heard you could have both Dog or/Codsworth AND a companion; did they patch that or something?

Like they added that in you mean? I know when I played last I couldn't. I have had to take a few days off though because girlfriend.

Err. I don't know. I thought I read somewhere you *could* do that? Or maybe that was previous games? I practically never kept a companion around in the other games. I used Boone for a while because his sniper perk was nice, but he got annoying after a while too.

Or are you literally talking about the robodog in NV?
[+]
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2015-11-25 15:28:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean how in NV you could have a human follower and then also Rex or ED-E. Dogmeat is neat and all but sometimes...

[+]
 Asura.Ninjaface
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2015-11-25 15:34:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, previous 3d fallouts let you have a human and a non human companion at once, in this one you just get one companion whether it is human or not(this came up on like the first or second page).

can we talk about Nick's jaw bone? Am I the only one upset by this (I just got there).
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-11-25 15:39:44
Link | Quote | Reply

the way it looks, you were meant to be able to have Dogmeat + 1 other companion (be it robot or humanoid). My evidence for this:

-There's string table data for each companion related to their likes/dislikes. I poked around in there and found a variable that is unused but quite interesting: "Heal Dogmeat". It's also worth noting that Dogmeat has no alignment system.

-The Lone Wanderer perk functions with Dogmeat in your party. This is probably a bug, but I doubt it's due to a programming error, rather he wasn't supposed to count as a companion in order to leave room for a "real" companion, but they never moved him into the list after changing his design.

-His inventory is a bit jank. It was clearly tacked on last minute. He has 25 more carry weight than anyone else, even Strong.
[+]
 Asura.Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2015-11-25 15:44:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
even Strong.
and Strong can carry a lot!

This is probably a bug,
I feel like the error is actually that he counts as a companion at all.
[+]
By Grumpy Cat 2015-11-25 16:05:07
Link | Quote | Reply

the way it looks, you were meant to be able to have Dogmeat + 1 other companion (be it robot or humanoid). My evidence for this:

-There's string table data for each companion related to their likes/dislikes. I poked around in there and found a variable that is unused but quite interesting: "Heal Dogmeat". It's also worth noting that Dogmeat has no alignment system.

-The Lone Wanderer perk functions with Dogmeat in your party. This is probably a bug, but I doubt it's due to a programming error, rather he wasn't supposed to count as a companion in order to leave room for a "real" companion, but they never moved him into the list after changing his design.

-His inventory is a bit jank. It was clearly tacked on last minute. He has 25 more carry weight than anyone else, even Strong.

Yeah I posted something along these lines in the Steam discussions, but no responses there.

The thing about healing Dogmeat is even in the strategy guide, which makes me think it was even more last minute.
By Grumpy Cat 2015-11-26 19:57:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I am so *** proud of the mod community.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Shiva.Francisco
Server: Shiva
user: Francisco
By Shiva.Francisco 2015-11-26 21:40:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Question about the Covenant side quest:
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2015-11-26 21:54:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I forgot how creepy and terrifying this series can get.

I jumped, to say the least.
[+]
By Ackeron 2015-11-26 23:27:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll admit as soon as I could I stopped using Dogmeat.

I couldn't handle how he would yelp and whimper when shot. I felt horrible. Now I run around with Piper who just trash talks when she gets shot or knocked down.
[+]
 Bahamut.Rulerofdarkness
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Rulerofdarkness 2015-11-27 00:54:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Haven't played Fallout 4 yet, but if companions in this one are anything like companions in the old ones; I want nothing to do with any of them.

All they ever managed to do was get me caught while sneaking because they randomly decide to take some HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE path because I jumped over some rock.

Or randomly run in the way of my shot/run right up to the group of 5 people and start melee'ing when I just threw a grenade or pulled out my nuke.
[+]
By Ackeron 2015-11-27 00:59:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Idk how sneaking was in 3/New Vegas cause I went alone. But in this when they get sighted they don't blow your cover at least.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-11-27 03:40:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Francisco said: »
Normally when that happens it means they're a vital NPC and can't be killed, he's probably involved in a quest somewhere down the line.
[+]
 Bahamut.Omael
user: Omael
By Bahamut.Omael 2015-11-27 10:58:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ackeron said: »
Idk how sneaking was in 3/New Vegas cause I went alone. But in this when they get sighted they don't blow your cover at least.

Sneaking was fine in New Vegas as long as you remember your followers can't jump.
[+]
 Asura.Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2015-11-27 11:17:36
Link | Quote | Reply

He's flagged as essential until you get done with the side quest at Covenant.

I couldn't handle how he would yelp and whimper when shot.
As soon as there is a "dogmeat shuts the hell up" mod, I'm going back gto dogmeat. I have a huge dog like that and I kept getting worried that my dog was making all of those noises.

Bahamut.Rulerofdarkness said: »
All they ever managed to do was get me caught while sneaking
As others have said, they don't give you away in this one. My biggest problem with 3/nv was them trying to dry hump my position when I was sniping people, so they constantly pushed me out of position. this problem was also fixed. they only get in the way a little bit sometimes when I'm in a firefight.
By Ramyrez 2015-11-27 11:50:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Grumpy Cat said: »
I am so *** proud of the mod community.

YouTube Video Placeholder

I saw this. It's pretty *** great.
By Ramyrez 2015-11-27 11:51:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll admit as soon as I could I stopped using Dogmeat.

I couldn't handle how he would yelp and whimper when shot. I felt horrible. Now I run around with Piper who just trash talks when she gets shot or knocked down.

Piper is seriously a woman after my own heart.

On top of everything else, she frequently gives me sweets whenever I talk to her.
By Ramyrez 2015-11-27 11:55:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Rulerofdarkness said: »
Haven't played Fallout 4 yet, but if companions in this one are anything like companions in the old ones; I want nothing to do with any of them.

All they ever managed to do was get me caught while sneaking because they randomly decide to take some HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE path because I jumped over some rock.

Or randomly run in the way of my shot/run right up to the group of 5 people and start melee'ing when I just threw a grenade or pulled out my nuke.

I felt exactly how you do in 3/NV.

They're a lot better here though. They don't permanently die as a result of battle damage* (at least not that I've discovered?). They actually shoot things in a helpful fashion, and they don't blow your cover.

I think the only negative things I've seen are a few instances of them sort of buggering up my careful plans of attack by 1) accidentally setting off landmines I hadn't gotten around to dealing with yet or 2) walking in front of me while I'm lining up a sniping shot.

Both cases ocurred yesterday for me, and in both cases it was Preston. I think that mother *** is just too eager to go and do good and he doesn't think of things like, "hey, what's that beeping?" or "Whatever, shoot me in the small of the back if you have to General, but I'm going in now.

Piper and Cait haven't had this problem.

Bahamut.Omael said: »
Sneaking was fine in New Vegas as long as you remember your followers can't jump.

This is an ongoing problem I tend to have with my followers even in Fallout 4. Not sneaking necessarily, but they don't like to jump off ledges, even if they're guaranteed not to take damage, and they have a tendency to magically find enemies where there previously were none while they backtrack down the "safe" path.

I've learned to adapt a bit though.

Also, I did that Dunwich Borer zone/quest last night that was previously mentioned.

Enjoyed it, but,
By Ramyrez 2015-11-27 12:06:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Also had an interesting occurrence yesterday.

I got the Kidnapping quest at Abernathy Farm.

I completed it, head back to Sanctuary to re-up my rested/lover's embrace perks...

...and after I wake up, Preston gives me the exact same quest again?

What the hell gives. That girl needs to learn to lock the door.

I can only assume I need to build more defenses there or something so raiders stop carrying this broad away?
[+]
 Shiva.Francisco
By Shiva.Francisco 2015-11-27 13:14:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Are all areas able to be flagged as "CLEARED"?

I'm finding myself OCD about clearing everything I can, but for some reason can't get Park Street flagged as cleared. Pretty sure I checked every nook and cranny there, including the attached area where Nick Valentine is found.

Hoping the Parsons Asylum is an awesome explore also... It's based on the Asylum in Danvers, MA which has a bunch of crazy ghost/horror stories tied to it. Creepy, creepy place... It's pretty cool having so much knowledge/ties to these places being from the area myself.

Hell, I even went to Malden Middle School, and I use Malden Center Station, and the bar in Goodneighbor (which is actually State Street Station) every day.
 Shiva.Francisco
By Shiva.Francisco 2015-11-27 13:23:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Also had an interesting occurrence yesterday.

I got the Kidnapping quest at Abernathy Farm.

I completed it, head back to Sanctuary to re-up my rested/lover's embrace perks...

...and after I wake up, Preston gives me the exact same quest again?

What the hell gives. That girl needs to learn to lock the door.

I can only assume I need to build more defenses there or something so raiders stop carrying this broad away?

You sure it was the same quest? There's one in Abernathy where you need to bring back a locket, and another in Oberland where you need to rescue a kidnapped person from Back Bay Apparel or something.
By Ramyrez 2015-11-27 13:24:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Are all areas able to be flagged as "CLEARED"?

I'm finding myself OCD about clearing everything I can, but for some reason can't get Park Street flagged as cleared. Pretty sure I checked every nook and cranny there, including the attached area where Nick Valentine is found.

Hmm. I'm not sure if every last area can be "cleared," but I do know that just because an area is cleared doesn't mean that enemies can't re-inhabit the area. I've had several places which I had previously just happened across and cleared -- because I suffer from Final Fantasy Syndrome and I can't "wait and go back" to a thing, I have to clear it right away -- that later had more enemies when I went back, for a quest or otherwise.

...on that note, I can't even begin to tell you how many people have waited around to be rescued because good ol' Rammie decided killing a group of bandits standing around a campfire was a bigger priority.
By Ramyrez 2015-11-27 13:28:03
Link | Quote | Reply

You sure it was the same quest? There's one in Abernathy where you need to bring back a locket, and another in Oberland where you need to rescue a kidnapped person from Back Bay Apparel or something.

I didn't go back to Abernathy yet for the second quest, it was 3:30 this morning and I had to get up at 8:00.

But it was titled the same thing: "Kidnapping at Abernathy Farm."

Actually, now that I look into it, if you Google "Kidnapping at Abernathy Farm," you get this:
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-11-27 13:29:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Worth noting that any area you flag as "Cleared" will repopulate (both enemies and loot) in 30 in-game days.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-11-27 13:30:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Worth noting that any area you flag as "Cleared" will repopulate (both enemies and loot) in 30 in-game days.

Oh yeah. I mentioned enemies, forgot to mention loot.

Yeah, specifically the Food Supply army base restocked. Good place to go back to again and again if you need food.

Edit: The Forged reset quicker than 30 days too, just as an aside. I know because I went there because it was the closest fast travel to a new place I was going and it couldn't have been more than 10 game days and as soon as I loaded I was being annoyed with *** flamers and molotovs in my face.

Enemies with fire weapons are so irritating.
By Ramyrez 2015-11-27 14:26:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Random, by the way, and I don't know if anyone else will admit to being this dumb, but I will because I'm 100% positive I'm not alone.

You do not need to manually break down junk (ie: drop it, enter crafting mode, and break it down).

If you just put the item in your settlement's storage, it will break it down for you when you need the components and deposit the unused portion in your storage.*

*yes, that works. There is occasionally a delay, but I've seen it noted in many places that those extra components will load in your storage before too long.
 Shiva.Francisco
By Shiva.Francisco 2015-11-27 14:44:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Random, by the way, and I don't know if anyone else will admit to being this dumb, but I will because I'm 100% positive I'm not alone.

You do not need to manually break down junk (ie: drop it, enter crafting mode, and break it down).

If you just put the item in your settlement's storage, it will break it down for you when you need the components and deposit the unused portion in your storage.*

*yes, that works. There is occasionally a delay, but I've seen it noted in many places that those extra components will load in your storage before too long.

Thanks for this, because I was actually this dumb.

Is there a way to transfer stuff between workshops without lugging it? I'm using the minuteman armor, not carrying around a missile launcher or fat boy, and I'm still constantly having issues with my carry load. I've also noticed a lot of workbenches in random zones like Fort Hagen, etc... I'm at the point I have tons of caps worth of stuff scattered all over, and stuff like Junkjets, Fat Boys and Miniguns hanging out in random locations.

Also, I'm using the Minuteman General's armor, since it's one piece and super light. All the pocketed stuff I've found so far seems ultra heavy and probably not worth it.
By Ramyrez 2015-11-27 15:01:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I shift among the Minute Man General's garb, Kellogg's garb, and my BoS fatigues w/ my assorted pieces of armor (of which I have 10 rights arms and one of everything else because, hey, Legendary drops are "randomly" generated!).

I generally don't have major inventory issues with my pieced armor, I have everything spec'ed at shadowed/muffled or shadowed/heavy pocketed.

For sheer aesthetics I prefer the Minute Man General/Kellogg's gear (also for the ease of changing into CHR gear for persuades), but the armor is far more effective and spec'ed right -- especially once you have legendary pieces with great bonuses like -15% DT from different enemy types -- I don't notice much inventory difference.

As for transferring between workshops, there was a mention of this previously in the thread but you've got to build your Charisma up high enough to unlock the Local Leader perk and that will let you establish supply lines between settlements. Basically once you have it unlocked select a settler with your crafting screen open and you will have an option ("Q" is the default key on the PC) to assign them to a supply line with another settlement.

Edit: conversely, you can just dump all your perks into strength until you unlock the one that lets you fast travel while overloaded. Which may be the better option in some ways for adventuring purposes, but I wanted local leader so I can get shops set up in Sanctuary (which I still haven't figured out how to get people to come and work those shops, but they're now built and eagerly awaiting commerce).

Thanks for this, because I was actually this dumb.

I figured it out on Wednesday. I had at least 40 hours of game play in already. You are not alone.
 Bahamut.Omael
user: Omael
By Bahamut.Omael 2015-11-27 15:21:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Which may be the better option in some ways for adventuring purposes, but I wanted local leader so I can get shops set up in Sanctuary (which I still haven't figured out how to get people to come and work those.

When you're in build mode press 'E' on a settler, highlight whichever shop you want them to work at and press 'E' again to assign them to it. Guard posts work the same way.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-11-27 15:23:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Omael said: »
Which may be the better option in some ways for adventuring purposes, but I wanted local leader so I can get shops set up in Sanctuary (which I still haven't figured out how to get people to come and work those.

When you're in build mode press 'E' on a settler, highlight whichever shop you want them to work at and press 'E' again to assign them to it. Guard posts work the same way.

So any old settler will do? I knew how to assign them to picking food or working guard posts, but as I just built my stores last night I hadn't work them out yet.

I was sort of under the impression they had to meet some sort of "vendor" criteria.

Good to know. Those nameless *** are getting put to work now.

Thanks!
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 ... 21 22 23