Parents Sue School Over Sons Suicide

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Parents sue school over sons suicide
Parents sue school over sons suicide
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-10-08 09:02:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said: »
But this seems to lack information on all sides so the parent's knee-jerk reaction to file a lawsuit seems misguided. However, that's not to say it is unwarranted if the school administration indeed failed to enforce policy to such an explicit and tragic point.
Which will be hard to prove.

The only legal standing the parents would have in this lawsuit is willful negligence.

They have to prove that the school purposefully ignored the bullying that was happening against the kid. Which would be impossible to do so, unless there's a paper trail of complaints.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-10-08 10:21:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Chriscoffey said: »
Here’s a very important set of facts about the Revolutionary War that every person who would call themselves an American should know.

During the Revolutionary War, only THREE percent of the people actually fought against Great Britain.
Only TEN percent of the citizens actively supported that three percent.
Approximately TWENTY percent considered themselves to be on the side of the Revolution, but they did not actively participate.
Towards the climatic end of the war, approximately THIRTY percent actually fought on the side of the British.
The rest of the citizens had no disposition either way. They didn’t care. They didn’t want anything to do with what they deemed to simply be a political issue.
/readingrainbow
Kind of ironic 100% of the people enjoyed the benefits of liberty and justice over the bloodshed of the few that believed in them. I wonder which % wants rights taken away so quickly from whom?

And every person who would call themselves American should know that even during the period of Westward expansion there were strict city ordinances in regards to gun control. The bang-bang shoot 'em up in the center of towns in the West is a glamorized Hollywood myth.

Lubbock, Wichita, Yuma, Deadwood, Dodge, and plenty of other frontier settlements required that guns be confiscated from civilians when entering the city.

Look up Earp's defense after the infamous shoot out at the OK Corral.

'Murican Territories, y'all. Yee-Haw!
[+]
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-10-08 10:28:28
Link | Quote | Reply

As a comedian once said

Quote:
Your first amendment means I could say the second amendment sucks ***
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-10-08 10:40:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tidis said: »
As a comedian once said

Quote:
That's not how it works, but ok.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-10-08 10:49:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
As a comedian once said

Quote:
Of course I could be wrong but I don't see how that isn't how it works. Free speech means generally the ability to say whatever you want, there are some exceptions, saying the second amendment sucks *** isn't one of them.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-10-08 10:52:55
Link | Quote | Reply

As a comedian once said

Quote:
Of course I could be wrong but I don't see how that isn't how it works. Free speech means generally the ability to say whatever you want, there are some exceptions, saying the second amendment sucks *** isn't one of them.
Free speech only applies against the government.

You can't go to a business, especially a gun shop, shout anti-2nd amendment rhetoric, and not expect to get arrested. First amendment doesn't protect you from harassing businesses and other people.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-10-08 10:57:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I just said I could go to America and say the 2nd amendment sucks ***, well I quoted a comedian who made a joke about it. I could do that, people might get pissed off but the first amendment would allow me to say it, not protect me against people's reactions to it.

You added in the additional element of saying it in a gun shop, that's private premises, I could just be standing around doing nothing and they can demand I leave.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-10-08 10:59:50
Link | Quote | Reply

But this seems to lack information on all sides so the parent's knee-jerk reaction to file a lawsuit seems misguided. However, that's not to say it is unwarranted if the school administration indeed failed to enforce policy to such an explicit and tragic point.

The only legal standing the parents would have in this lawsuit is willful negligence.

They have to prove that the school purposefully ignored the bullying that was happening against the kid. Which would be impossible to do so, unless there's a paper trail of complaints.

well there was that one instance a while back where a school actually did neglect to do anything to help the kid (with learning disability) so the kid recorded the bullying being done on his school issued tablet and they called the cops on said kid for 'fear the boy had illegally wiretapped the other teens.' And the cops initially charged him with disorderly conduct.

So it looks like even if you can prove it... your still screwed.

(side note: i also cant help but mention the fact that the school was out smarted by a kid with a learning disability. I do so love irony.)
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-10-08 11:03:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I just said I could go to America and say the 2nd amendment sucks ***, well I quoted a comedian who made a joke about it. I could do that, people might get pissed off but the first amendment would allow me to say it, not protect me against people's reactions to it.

You added in the additional element of saying it in a gun shop, that's private premises, I could just be standing around doing nothing and they can demand I leave.
You still don't get it.

You can protest against the 2nd Amendment and not get arrested for it. That's what the 1st Amendment is all about.

But you cannot go to a business or to people and shout at them, that's not protected by the 1st Amendment.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-10-08 11:04:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »

well there was that one instance a while back where a school actually did neglect to do anything to help the kid (with learning disability) so the kid recorded the bullying being done on his school issued tablet and they called the cops on said kid for 'fear the boy had illegally wiretapped the other teens.' And the cops initially charged him with disorderly conduct.

(side note: i also cant help but mention the fact that the school was out smarted by a kid with a learning disability. I do so love irony.)
That's not relevant to this case though. That's something completely different.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-10-08 11:21:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »

That's not relevant to this case though. That's something completely different.

Quote:
They have to prove that the school purposefully ignored the bullying that was happening against the kid.

just pointing out that even sometimes, even if you can prove it, you still end up in more trouble.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2015-10-08 11:37:07
Link | Quote | Reply

You still don't get it.

You can protest against the 2nd Amendment and not get arrested for it. That's what the 1st Amendment is all about.

But you cannot go to a business or to people and shout at them, that's not protected by the 1st Amendment.

You can so long as you follow the law in doing so. You can go inside and start protesting. If they ask you to leave and call the police, though, you can get charged with trespassing and disturbing the peace. You can, however, be on public land, and shout/protest private businesses. Again, so long as you follow the law (not impeding traffic, not doing or saying anything to start violence, etc)

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-10-08 12:00:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »

You still don't get it.

You can so long as you follow the law in doing so. You can go inside and start protesting. If they ask you to leave and call the police, though, you can get charged with trespassing and disturbing the peace. You can, however, be on public land, and shout/protest private businesses. Again, so long as you follow the law (not impeding traffic, not doing or saying anything to start violence, etc)
Right. I did state that, didn't I?
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-10-08 12:17:19
Link | Quote | Reply

and nobody thinks of the poor *** that has to scrape this kids brain off the wall... for shame america
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-10-08 12:20:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Anjisnu said: »
and nobody thinks of the poor *** that has to scrape this kids brain off the wall... for shame america
He got fired due to budget cuts from a frivolous lawsuit this year.
[+]
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-10-08 19:25:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Touche
[+]
 Sylph.Knala
Server: Sylph
user: nala
By Sylph.Knala 2015-10-09 04:11:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
Nukes don't kill people or end worlds. People kill people or end worlds. Every nation should have a nuclear bomb for their own defense, and the other governments can take away our nukes over our dark dead shadows on the walls.

while i get what you are saying, and i must preface that i am military however until i had joined the military i had never touched a gun.

That said: gun control is like illicit drugs, people who want to do bad things will find a way to do it, laws are for the law abiding, the lawless take no heed.

Just look at how well prohibition went over and after many years MJ is finally becoming legal (i believe at some point in the nearish future it will become legal in every state)

Anyways my point is despite the fact that i am pro guns despite having no prior exposure to said guns, i find nukes HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE as all hell, at this point we have made them so powerful that any one who uses one is an absolute retard,i believe we should world wide be pushing for total nuclear disarmament, at this point i believe when it comes to nuclear weapondry we have more to fear from a third party unaffiliated extremist group figuring it out over a specific nation/country.

Not to mention the fact that the global economy is intricately interconnected (and the impact of wiping any one country out via nukes), but the M.A.D.'ness (mutually assured destruction) of launching a nuke in this day and age.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-10-09 04:29:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Part of me regrets brining up gun control and the 2nd amendment, it's certainly relevant in this argument but I'd say it should be secondary to the issues of the school being sued and bullying in general.

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-10-09 05:38:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Just wait till this will somehow turn into a agw discussion.
 Leviathan.Protey
Server: Leviathan
user: Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-10-09 06:06:23
Link | Quote | Reply

You also can't compare drugs and alcohol to guns when it comes to an illegal market. There isn't gun addiction. No one is getting high off of guns for recreation. They are simply not the same thing where as drugs and alcohol are.
There is an illegal market for everything too, but that doesn't mean we say "well there goes the point of that". It certainly prevent things like this child bringing a gun to school. He could have changed his mind and shot the place up.

There are alternative ways of killing people too. A fair argument be that knife violence would rise in such a situation, and we have more school stabbings. Fair enough, but certainly a lot less deadly and harder to commit a massacre with now isn't it? Can also disarm the person easier in that situation.

Or a person could just drop a couple dozen bricks off the top of a building and kill a ton of people... guess we should ban bricks now too. Or could put some ground glass in the cafeteria food... guess we should ban glass.

If someone wants to kill you or a lot of people... there is pretty much no way to stop the person until the act happens (unless they try and go about it in a stupid manner that makes it easy to stop them). There are quite a few ways to kill massive amounts of people and there is pretty much nothing anyone can do to prevent it because no one would know about it until the event actually happened. That we haven't seen a lot more massive killings is surprising. I chalk it up to stupid perpetrators who either make it known what they are about to do, or the method they use is easily stoppable. To ban firearms serves no purpose, as the person using a firearm has limited # of bullets and requires skill to hit a target... hitting targets that are trying not to get hit is pretty difficult. Whereas other methods of killing are far more effective and pretty much unavoidable.
[+]
By nyheen 2015-10-10 03:26:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel this video and references to it have been summoned so much lately.

YouTube Video Placeholder

Just for Tidis, and of course you, Knala.

I used to be pro gun too.

You also can't compare drugs and alcohol to guns when it comes to an illegal market. There isn't gun addiction. No one is getting high off of guns for recreation. They are simply not the same thing where as drugs and alcohol are.
There is an illegal market for everything too, but that doesn't mean we say "well there goes the point of that". It certainly prevent things like this child bringing a gun to school. He could have changed his mind and shot the place up.

There are alternative ways of killing people too. A fair argument be that knife violence would rise in such a situation, and we have more school stabbings. Fair enough, but certainly a lot less deadly and harder to commit a massacre with now isn't it? Can also disarm the person easier in that situation.

this video was spot on, so true. when the last time you heard about a school shooting in other countries? all i rememeber was that one in china and that was a school.. stabbing, in elementary with no deaths. this school shooting becoming so normal here it crazy.
By Voren 2015-10-10 07:49:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Protey said: »

Or a person could just drop a couple dozen bricks off the top of a building and kill a ton of people... guess we should ban bricks now too. Or could put some ground glass in the cafeteria food... guess we should ban glass.

If someone wants to kill you or a lot of people... there is pretty much no way to stop the person until the act happens (unless they try and go about it in a stupid manner that makes it easy to stop them). There are quite a few ways to kill massive amounts of people and there is pretty much nothing anyone can do to prevent it because no one would know about it until the event actually happened. That we haven't seen a lot more massive killings is surprising. I chalk it up to stupid perpetrators who either make it known what they are about to do, or the method they use is easily stoppable. To ban firearms serves no purpose, as the person using a firearm has limited # of bullets and requires skill to hit a target... hitting targets that are trying not to get hit is pretty difficult. Whereas other methods of killing are far more effective and pretty much unavoidable.

Timothy McVeigh used a Ryder truck and fertilizer. He didn't have a firearm on him and still killed 168 people injuring an additional 600+.

The people involved in 9/11 had box cutters.

IIRC, the two in Columbine had homemade explosives as well (sorry, don't have time to google at the moment, correct if wrong).

Point is, you don't need a gun to create havoc, chaos, and mass casualties.

There's a detriment to doing away with firearms. I doubt it would be overnight, but before you get real comfortable with the idea of not being able to defend yourself, I want you to sit in a room, alone, in the quiet for 10 minutes. Feel how long a time that is. That's the national average for police response time. When you're sitting alone for 10 minutes, imagine having to fight for your life. 10 minutes become an extremely long time.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Bloodbathboy
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Bloodbathboy 2015-10-11 16:24:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I miss the days of fist fighting. A few smacks and it's over.
 Ragnarok.Hevans
Server: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2015-10-11 16:36:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodbathboy said: »
I miss the days of fist fighting. A few smacks and it's over.

man that's sad. only a few smacks to take you down?

Post deleted by User.