Parents Sue School Over Sons Suicide

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Parents sue school over sons suicide
Parents sue school over sons suicide
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-10-06 11:10:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Parents sue Florida school district over bullied son's suicide

A lawsuit filed Monday against the a Florida school district alleges that teachers and administrators didn't do enough to prevent bullying that led to a 14-year-old boy's suicide last year.

Lamar Hawkins III, of Sanford, killed himself Sept. 10, 2014 with his father's gun in a bathroom stall at Greenwood Lakes Middle School in Lake Mary.

Attorney Matt Morgan said Lamar went missing for hours and school officials didn't look for him— even after another student found a spent gun shell casing in the school's bathroom and reported it to a teacher.

Lamar's family reported him missing after his mother went to the school to pick him up about 5 p.m. and he was nowhere to be found. Deputies found Lamar in the bathroom with a gunshot wound to his head about 11 p.m.

Lamar's family is suing the Seminole County School Board, alleging negligent supervision, negligent failure to adequately discipline bullies and negligent failure to supervise and account for Lamar's absence before his death.

"We know that just days before he took his life at school that he was literally slapped out of his chair during an altercation," Morgan said at a news conference Monday.

"He took his life at school to send a message, and the message was clear," Morgan continued: "'These bullies drove me to this point so I will commit this act on school grounds so that they know they did this to me.'"

Walt Griffin, the superintendent of Seminole County Public Schools, would not comment on the lawsuit.

After Lamar's death, investigators said the gun the eighth grader used to shoot himself belonged to his father, Lamar Hawkins Sr.

A report released by the Seminole County Sheriff's Office in February said the boy's father, Lamar Hawkins Sr., kept the 40-caliber pistol locked in a gun box in his bedroom closet.

The day Lamar shot himself, his father mistakenly grabbed his wife's keys when he left the house — leaving the key to the gun box at home.

Lamar didn't leave behind a suicide note.

According to the Sanford family, years of bullying led to Lamar's suicide. Because health complications stunted his growth — he was about 4 feet, 5 inches — Lamar was an easy target for bullies.

At the time, Seminole County Public School officials referenced the School Board's comprehensive bullying policy which, they said, is fully enforced in all of their schools.

The School Board's policy manual defines bullying and cyberbullying as unwanted and repeated written, verbal or physical behavior that is systematically used to inflict physical hurt or distress on another student.

After dozens of interviews, Sheriff's Office investigators found that Lamar and his twin sister were picked on and called names but that they were not physically harmed except for a lunchroom fight two days before Lamar's suicide involving Lamar and another student.

Morgan said he received hundreds of phone calls from parents in the area and nationally, complaining that their children have also been bullied at school.

He said a few parents of students at Greenwood Lakes Middle School also called about bullying.

"It appeared to me that there is a big problem at that school," Morgan said about Greenwood Lakes Middle School. That was my opinion as a result of the conversations I had with these parents."

Source
By geigei 2015-10-06 11:19:34
Link | Quote | Reply

What happened to old classic go to school and shoot everyone?
[+]
 Siren.Lordgrim
Server: Siren
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2015-10-07 15:16:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Thoughts and prayers to the family
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
Server: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2015-10-07 15:31:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
Quote:

Effectively suing their neighbors.

The same neighbors who's kids drove him to this act. So, good.
Nobody better have anything negative to say against these poor people. This story is only sad, and both what this boy went through and what his family is now going through is terrible. That's all that needs to be said.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-10-07 15:33:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Laurelli said: »
Quote:

Effectively suing their neighbors.

The same neighbors who's kids drove him to this act. So, good.
Nobody better have anything negative to say against these poor people. This story is only sad, and both what this boy went through and what his family is now going through is terrible. That's all that needs to be said.
Actually, the community will be the one who pays for the lawsuit, not the bullies or their parents (alone).

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2015-10-07 15:43:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Collateral damage. The ones who paid the biggest price are the victims. That's all that matters.
The should get to make an example out of this school.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2015-10-07 15:46:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Forget it. You people blame the victims. I don't even want to associate with you. Carry on this conversation without me.

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-10-07 15:51:00
Link | Quote | Reply

The father is more culpable than the school. It's just easier to be mad at someone other than yourself.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-10-07 15:53:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Forget it. You people blame the victims. I don't even want to associate with you. Carry on this conversation without me.
Not blaming the victims, but you seem it acceptable for people not involved to pay the price also. Especially since the biggest portion of the bill will go towards those who are not involved.
 Asura.Yunamae
By Asura.Yunamae 2015-10-07 16:38:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I was bullied at school as i stopped growing at 11, so i can sympathise with the poor kid and all this crap about anti bully doesnt work, the school failed him totally and deserve to pay. My bullying was verbal but i cant tell u from experience its enought to push u over if noone helps you... yes the father made a mistake which he will never ever forgot, but out of all this horrid affair, something shoul be learnt the the school need to stop failing kids that need help, not blaming the family when they have lost a loved one.............
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-10-07 16:39:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Not a bad idea. Harvesting children for wealth. Shorter wait on returns and less risk than waiting for post retirement care gains. Loss of expenses while cashing in is nice too.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2015-10-07 16:52:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't blame the victim, whatsoever, I blame the parents. That's like blaming the school district because you as a parent forgot to get your son's vaccine.

I think it's important for the school to recognize issues and inform the parents, which the school officials did. The point at which the parents didn't say maybe our son needs some more professional assistance isn't the fault of the school but bad parenting.

If you are contemplating suicide, then you need some form of professional psychological or counseling assistance. There could have been dozens of underlying reasons why he ended his own life, but these parents will never REALLY know because they didn't take appropriate measures.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-10-07 16:58:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Would have been nice if he left a suicide note, that way we all know why he really killed himself.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2015-10-07 17:09:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Some people seem to think either directly or indirectly that the parents didn't know their kid was sad.

School has hundreds or a thousand or more kids to deal with. The people who are actually responsible at the end of the day for him have what? 2? 3? 4?

I don't mean to me a cold-hearted ***, but I feel like some of these instances the parents are just looking for someone else to blame besides themselves.

If you as a parent don't recognize your child is giving suicide signs, you as a parent are failing at your job.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-07 17:10:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Making the many pay for the mistakes of the few? Why the frick is that so common?
[+]
 Leviathan.Tribalprophet
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Tribalprophet 2015-10-07 17:11:05
Link | Quote | Reply

The kid couldn't have shot himself without his father's gun.

Does the school countersue for the father enabling this?

Asura.Floppyseconds one *** post later said:
No one assigned any blame yet either.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-10-07 17:18:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Teachers stepping in to stop bullies probably won't really fix the problem. The bullies will likely just get pissed that the kid caused them to get in trouble, then they'll recoup their jollies when the teachers aren't around by doubling down on their mistreatment. Teachers aren't some omniscient presence, even at schools.

The sad thing is that if the child could have been homeschooled or put in a different school, he'd probably been fine. If he had gone to his parents and they dismissed his suffering, it's even more saddening.

Now the parents just seem to be taking advantage of a situation. They want payment for their losses, whereas if you were altruistic in this scenario you'd be trying to spread the word about bullying and not trying to cash in.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2015-10-07 17:19:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Yunamae said: »
I was bullied at school as i stopped growing at 11, so i can sympathise with the poor kid and all this crap about anti bully doesnt work, the school failed him totally and deserve to pay. My bullying was verbal but i cant tell u from experience its enought to push u over if noone helps you... yes the father made a mistake which he will never ever forgot, but out of all this horrid affair, something shoul be learnt the the school need to stop failing kids that need help, not blaming the family when they have lost a loved one.............

I was bullied as a kid constantly for being gay. My HS recognized their was bullying, my parents were informed. My parents did the PARENTAL DUTY of asking me if I was ok, they even asked if I wanted to "talk to someone" about the bullying and "what I was going through."

The school can't force you into therapy/counseling, that's a parent's job.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2015-10-07 17:34:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Was a valid question of if the school is liable is not the person who provides the weapon also?

No because they are arguing that the bullies and negligence of the school drove him to end his life, not the vehicle which ended his life. They'll argue that the vehicle is irrelevant. Serious individuals will find a way to end their life, hence why you see 51/50 type laws in certain states.

If this kid was going to end his life he would have done it with a gun, pills, knife, heck a spoon. They find a way.

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2015-10-07 17:48:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Nobody better have anything negative to say against these poor people.

Why? They're being petty. May as well be suing themselves for not doing enough research of schools safe enough for their children to attend if you want to go down the chain of command on lack of responsibility to the child.

Quote:
The day Lamar shot himself, his father mistakenly grabbed his wife's keys when he left the house — leaving the key to the gun box at home.

Yup, totally the school's fault. I bet they bought the gun and told his parents to leave the key at home while they were at it.
[+]
By nyheen 2015-10-07 18:57:29
Link | Quote | Reply

sorry. this is a sad story... i really hate to be that guy but...
Quote:
Lamar Hawkins III, of Sanford, killed himself Sept. 10, 2014 with his father's gun in a bathroom stall at Greenwood Lakes Middle School in Lake Mary.

i want to know how did that 14 year old get the gun so easy? no lock on it? no safe case etc?. no one blaming him?, yes it true bullies had a big part in it. but having a gun under the bed wont help his case

he did this in the school. what if this would of turn into another Sandy Hook? sadly too many kids getting mommy and daddy guns way to easy
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-10-07 18:58:27
Link | Quote | Reply

nyheen said: »
i want to know how did that 14 year old get the gun so easy? no lock on it? no safe case etc?. no one blaming him?, yes it true bullies had a big part in it. but having a gun under the bed wont help his case

Try reading the article next time

Odin.Godofgods said: »
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5