Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » AGW Theory - Discussion
AGW Theory - Discussion
First Page 2 3 ... 19 20 21 ... 39 40 41
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
By Siren.Kyte 2015-10-07 14:32:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pretty sure he's actually a crab-person.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-10-07 14:41:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Jassik said: »
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
What about that isn't sinking in? Over the past 300 million years, the ocean has been slightly basic, averaging an 8.2 ph level. What range of PH do you think they're referencing? one that swings from 6-10 but averages at 8.2? Can't be if it's always been slightly basic.

I wouldn't trust you to take care of a hot-tub based on this statement.

I'll have you know my hot tub is in fine working order.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-07 14:43:23
Link | Quote | Reply

PH is sometimes 10, sometimes 6, average 8.2?
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-10-07 15:17:33
Link | Quote | Reply

ill have you know that my hot tub has maintained a slightly basic average ph in the mid 7s for the past 300 million years.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-10-07 15:34:15
Link | Quote | Reply

What about that isn't sinking in? Over the past 300 million years, the ocean has been slightly basic, averaging an 8.2 ph level. What range of PH do you think they're referencing? one that swings from 6-10 but averages at 8.2? Can't be if it's always been slightly basic.

Oh look it's a scam too
I don't know what to continue with this in a way that wouldn't result in me breaking some forum rules.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-07 16:00:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
I don't know what to continue with this in a way that wouldn't result in me breaking some forum rules.

you could always just move further north!
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-10-07 16:01:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Like that has stopped you before.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-10-07 16:35:55
Link | Quote | Reply

The issue with acidity and temperature changes isn't whether they are changing at all, but rather that they are changing at a rate too fast for species to adapt.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-10-07 16:38:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
The issue with acidity and temperature changes isn't whether they are changing at all, but rather that they are changing at a rate too fast for species to adapt.

yep. we'll all be sorry when it's grasshoppers instead of fish as the alternate meal on your flight.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-10-07 16:56:54
Link | Quote | Reply

We'll all be eating algae paste soon enough.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-10-08 08:50:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Well then we'd better kill off 6-7 billion of us pretty quick. Even if we all lived like in the 1800s, we'd still be affecting the planet.

You speak as though life forms are not suppose to.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-10-08 08:53:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh look it's a scam too
Well let the record show instead of participating in the conversation you'd rather kick and stamp your feet when someone challenges your ideas.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-10-08 08:54:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh look it's a scam too
Well let the record show instead of participating in the conversation you'd rather kick and stamp your feet when someone challenges your ideas.
Wait, you just now figured this out?

Ravael and I noticed this years ago.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-08 09:15:10
Link | Quote | Reply

you wish it was made out of algae....

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-10-08 09:22:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Well then we'd better kill off 6-7 billion of us pretty quick. Even if we all lived like in the 1800s, we'd still be affecting the planet.

Life forms are not supposed to what, adapt? Or affect the planet? Not sure how you inferred either from what I said. I am curious to know your full impression of what I've been saying, and I mean that genuinely, since I feel like there's a great deal of misinterpretation and we could probably clarify things between our positions.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-10-08 09:23:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure you understood what he said.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-08 09:59:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Well then we'd better kill off 6-7 billion of us pretty quick.

Hey wait a minute! That's My Plan!!!
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-10-08 10:21:57
Link | Quote | Reply

And jellyfish.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-10-08 11:41:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh look it's a scam too
All I'm doing at this point is deconstructing sentences for you. It's like teaching Helen Keller how to read except this time Helen is a double amputee and she has to use her feet. If you feel the need to misinterpret (deliberately, I hope) everything to make a point, it isn't any reflection whatsoever on my arguments.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-10-08 13:08:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Life forms are not supposed to what, adapt? Or affect the planet? Not sure how you inferred either from what I said. I am curious to know your full impression of what I've been saying, and I mean that genuinely, since I feel like there's a great deal of misinterpretation and we could probably clarify things between our positions.

I took what you wrote to mean, that the current human affect on the planet commonly associated with westernized civilization effects the earth in a bad way. Our way of life, which necessarily requires the release of CO2 into the atmosphere (through electric energy consumption), is hurting the planet and will kill us all by cooking us through global warming, destroying the ocean through acidification, and unbalancing the climate patterns we have lived in among other alarming catastrophes ad nausium.

If you want more specifics you specifically mean that our way of life will change the world too quickly for evolution to adapt to the new environment.

All of which is nonsense. We affect the earth through our existence. We release carbon into the atmosphere and have done so ever since we started burning things. There are so many of us on the planet (we have thrived so much from doing so) that there would be no way for us all to exist without raising the co2 level in the atmosphere in a cumulative effect that would not trend beyond the method nature could promote by itself.

The scenario you idolize where we live without having an effect outside the natural influence of nature is not possible.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-10-08 13:11:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh look it's a scam too
All I'm doing at this point is deconstructing sentences for you. It's like teaching Helen Keller how to read except this time Helen is a double amputee and she has to use her feet. If you feel the need to misinterpret (deliberately, I hope) everything to make a point, it isn't any reflection whatsoever on my arguments.

You really have no place in a forum discussing AGW theory if you aren't prepared to participate in the actual discussion.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-08 13:21:18
Link | Quote | Reply

well it might be better to think our way out of it now than to hope for some kind of accelerated adaptation / evolutionary leap forward

like plant growths on our backs that photosynthesize CO2 for us....

but waiting around to see what happens next is a hell of a lot easier
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-10-08 13:29:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
but waiting around to see what happens next is a hell of a lot easier

Or we can accept that the release of co2 isn't going to turn the ocean into acid, and adding co2 to the atmosphere isn't going to turn the Earth into Venus.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-08 14:06:02
Link | Quote | Reply

We can certainly pretend that nothing bad will ever happen no matter what we do...

We do, however, live in the real world full of consequences for our actions, and "not turning the earth into venus" isn't where the bar is set.

or maybe it is and congratulations are in order...good job everyone on the not turning us into venus yet.

/thumbs up
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-10-08 14:08:19
Link | Quote | Reply

We can curb and even eliminate our CO2, and when global warming still occurs, we can find the next thing to *** about.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-10-08 14:16:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
We can certainly pretend that nothing bad will ever happen no matter what we do...

You're mischaracterizing, no one is saying that and this reaction shows exactly how the discussion is broken. Saying that co2 won't ruin the world is not that same as saying we can dump massive amounts of plutonium waste into our drinking reservoirs and not get sick.

You're pushing away from discussion. I know it's all part of your chaotic plan nik, but cmon.
 Asura.Ivlilla
user: cevkiv
By Asura.Ivlilla 2015-10-08 14:19:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
We can curb and even eliminate our CO2, and when global warming still occurs, we can find the next thing to *** about.

People constantly overlook that we are still, in fact, in the middle of an Ice Age, and that the current temperatures are not typical for Earth. Especially considering that when it was receiving much less insolation early in its history, but was still hotter.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-10-08 14:20:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Greenland was called Greenland because it was quite warm when it was discovered.

Climate has been changing throughout human history.
Greenland was called Greenland as a real estate scam promotion. It was not warm then. If it were the glaciers would be tiny today and we would not be worried about them melting.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-08 14:26:29
Link | Quote | Reply

You're mischaracterizing,

you put the bar at turning the earth into venus. I'm pretty sure we would all be dead/no longer emitting co2 or anything else at some point before we hit 864 degrees Fahrenheit (which is venus' temperature... it's really really hot!)

also... some people are going to be skeptical of your climatology analysis Mr. Jumping off a ladder creates earthquakes.
First Page 2 3 ... 19 20 21 ... 39 40 41