Child Sent Home School For Wonder Women Lunch Box

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Child sent home school for wonder women lunch box
Child sent home school for wonder women lunch box
First Page 2
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-08-27 18:05:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Parents told their daughter’s Wonder Woman lunchbox is too violent for school

She may be the world’s premier cartoon heroine, but according to one school, Wonder Woman and her Golden Lasso of Truth are too are absolutely not suitable lunchbox fodder.

According to Redditor twines18, who posted a copy of the letter and offending lunchbox on Imgur, the lunchbox contravened the schools dress code which states children aren’t allowed to bring ‘violent images’ into the building.

The letter states: ‘We have defined “violent characters” as those who solve problems using violence. Super heroes certainly fall into that category.’

But despite much outrage on Reddit, twines18 pointed out that the child’s parents aren’t upset with the school. In fact, he claims they ‘find it more hilarious than anything.’

Still, it feels a bit extreme to us. Surely Wonder Woman is a force for good, not violence?

Source
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-27 18:08:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Over 20% of high school graduates think there's 52 states and this is what educators spend their time doing?
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-27 18:14:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
Over 20% of high school graduates think there's 52 states and this is what educators spend their time doing?

Sounds like a bogus statistic if I've ever heard one. Regardless, this whole lunch box thing is beyond stupid.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-27 18:16:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

Sounds like a bogus statistic if I've ever heard one. Regardless, this whole lunch box thing is beyond stupid.

I'll see if I can find the article but it's a few years old. 1 in 5 graduates under 30 thought there were 52 states.
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-08-27 18:18:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Most of the teachers and faculty in my years in school were just there for a paycheck and would have kids they didn't want to deal with thrown out of class. Though I did have a few good teachers who were there to teach.

EDIT: And before anyone asks. Yes, I got thrown out of class a lot.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-27 18:20:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Fifty-two is an awfully specific number for ~20% of said group to think is the number of states. So yeah, I'd like to see the study if you find it.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-27 18:29:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Fifty-two is an awfully specific number for ~20% of said group to think is the number of states. So yeah, I'd like to see the study if you find it.

52 states is the most common wrong answer given, IIRC it was ~60% got it right. It wasn't a study, it was an article about the results of the NAEP.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-27 18:42:28
Link | Quote | Reply

~60% got it right? Look, I think the majority of people are stupid just like everyone else seems to, but that seems a bit far-fetched. My high school was no means a benchmark for brilliance, but I can't imagine even less than 95% getting that answer right. Something is off about their polling data if ~60% is what they got. I'll stick with the typical "I need a source" for this one.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-08-27 18:43:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Having lived in the South I find that to be completely believable.

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-27 18:46:45
Link | Quote | Reply

~60% got it right? Look, I think the majority of people are stupid just like everyone else seems to, but that seems a bit far-fetched. My high school was no means a benchmark for brilliance, but I can't imagine even less than 95% getting that answer right. Something is off about their polling data if ~60% is what they got. I'll stick with the typical "I need a source" for this one.

Your text to link here...

For reference, some of the other things they don't know. I'll keep looking for the article in question, but the NAEP data is here.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-27 18:56:15
Link | Quote | Reply

For reference, some of the other things they don't know. I'll keep looking for the article in question, but the NAEP data is here.

Eh, more of the things on that list are more believable. I had to navigate my way out to find it all on a website that wasn't a conspiracy theorist site, though.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-27 19:00:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Eh, more of the things on that list are more believable. I had to navigate my way out to find it all on a website that wasn't a conspiracy theorist site, though.

Heh, I didn't even notice it was Glenn Beck's site. People not knowing which ocean is on the East side of the US?
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-27 19:01:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Glenn Beck's site? Where does it say that?
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-08-27 19:02:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
And before anyone asks. Yes, i got thrown out of class a lot.
I spent maybe 1/3 of 1st grade "in the principal's office." actually the book closet. The principal had mo more idea of what to do with me than the teacher.

Smallish room, door in one wall, window in another, table, a few chairs, everything else solid bookshelves. I had been reading for 2 years. This was NOT a punishment.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-27 19:02:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Glenn Beck's site? Where does it say that?

The embedded video links back to his site.

Edit: Nevermind, different search tab.
 Asura.Echandra
Server: Asura
user: Echandra
By Asura.Echandra 2015-08-27 19:06:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Having lived in the South I find that to be completely believable.

So true. Hawaii isn't a state because it's not connected to the U.S.! Geography is not america's strong point. I recall at one point a girl from Kentucky that thought her own state's capital was Louisville.

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Chilzen
Server: Lakshmi
user: Chilzen
By Lakshmi.Chilzen 2015-08-27 19:21:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Bet the hypocrites that run that school probably let the kids wear D.A.R.E. shirts, even though you know those cops had to beat someone once or twice in their day to land a cushy position like that.
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2015-08-27 19:26:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Wonder Woman is cool and all, and while I think this is kind of silly, she did um...snap Maxwell Lord's neck. >_>;;

I mean, I'm pretty sure the lunch box didn't feature the panel image of WW doing that, but...ah what the hell. Okay what I am saying is I wish I had a Wonder Woman lunchbox showing her offing Maxwell Lord. -_-;;
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-08-27 19:39:51
Link | Quote | Reply

states vs deck of cards... youd be surprised'
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-08-27 20:20:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I find that really hard to believe. Easy, round numbers like 50 are difficult to forget. It's one of the many reasons why several candidates for state #51 are probably never going to succeed: we've hit a convenient, round number and people will make up any ridiculous excuse they possibly can not to change it, despite that we've only had 50 states for, what, about 60 years? Less? I'm too damned lazy to remember when Alaska and Hawaii were admitted.

Anyhow, I'll wager small money that it wasn't the educators who came up with this ridiculous rule. A bunch of helicopter parents with no grasp of what actually influences child behavior are almost certainly behind the policy. If I was a teacher in a school with that kind of stupid ***, my first response would be to enforce it in the most brain-damaged way possible, as in this article. It's the golem tactic: I'm going to rebel by doing exactly what you told me to do.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-08-27 21:11:52
Link | Quote | Reply

once again I am reminded that the people we entrust to educate our children are some of the dumbest people in the country.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-27 21:48:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
once again I am reminded that the people we entrust to educate our children are some of the dumbest people in the country.

shuddup. not all teechers r bad. i was tot very good
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-27 21:48:46
Link | Quote | Reply

There was nothing violent on that lunch box....
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-27 21:57:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm offended that these people are offended. This everyone being offended at everything needs to stop. The meaning of tolerance is something that seems to be misunderstood.

With their reasoning we can say that any image of any human on a lunch box is too violent for school because humans are violent. every human has done something violent at some point in their life. may as well add animals to that list as well because animals are violent. also the weather, it's violent.

Why not say it's misogynistic as well because they are trying to obscure a fictional strong woman that stands for justice.

Lets watch the liberals tear eachother apart from every angle because they will inevitably be offended by everything including them self's.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-08-27 22:03:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Endoq said: »
The school defines superheros as violent.

A lunchbox with Supernam holding a baby would be not allowed.

But yes, its STUPID.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-27 22:25:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Valefor.Endoq said: »
The school defines superheros as violent.

A lunchbox with Supernam holding a baby would be not allowed.

But yes, its STUPID.
Anything to keep the public focused on fake *** instead of seeing the truth of what is putting us all on edge and bringing out our violent tendencies.
Fear often leads to anxiety which leads to frustration which leads to hopelessness which leads to helplessness which leads to feeling like an animal backed into a corner, and then panic, violence, and hate take over. One major source of fear that leaves one helpless and backed into a corner is the fear our own government feeds us via the news media. I know that when I was in grade school I was full of a near PTSD fear level knowing we could all die at any moment due to the conflict between Cuba and the US government. This sort of fear mongering propaganda continues to this day. It's not just children effected. Most people don't even realise how deeply fear and anxiety can penetrate every aspect of their life. Most people can not see the root of their problems despite being painfully aware of their problems. This not being able to find the root leads to blaming many scapegoats. I could tell you who is the mastermind of fear but that is another discussion for another thread.
First Page 2