Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-07-03 17:09:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Heard about this one from an AlphaOmegaSin video

Quote:
Someone just found an original Sony/Nintendo PlayStation prototype

Pay attention, 10 second history lesson: way back in 1988, Sony and Nintendo worked together on a CD-ROM peripheral for the SNES. In 1991 it was revealed at the Consumer Electronics Show by Sony but the day after Nintendo announced that, actually, it was partnering with Phillips for its CD tech. Sony, furious, more or less spite-developed its half of the tech into the PlayStation 1 we know today, to get back at Nintendo.

Because it was never actually released the Sony/Nintendo PlayStation is quite rare. So this one is quite a big deal. It apparently turned up in some junk belonging to imgur user DanDiebold's dad. Here's the real kicker though, this is the story he posts behind the images:

"My dad worked for a company, apparently one of the guys he used to work with, I think his name was Olaf, used to work at Nintendo and when my dad's company went bankrupt, my dad found it in a box of 'junk' he was supposed to throw out".

Now this bit seems almost too good to be true because 'Olaf' could possibly reference Ólafur Jóhann Ólafsson, the original co-founder, president and chief executive officer of Sony Interactive Entertainment. Not only could this be one of the first ever PlayStations, it could be one that belonged to its creator.

I'm being cautious here because the original Reddit thread source is currently private. The console exists, that much appears to be true, but the forum poster answering questions on it is currently unverified. He's posted a link to the images but that's not a cast iron guarantee of anything.

Source
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
Server: Lakshmi
user: ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2015-07-03 18:26:50
Link | Quote | Reply

@.@ HOLY S!@T BALLS!!!!
By Pantafernando 2015-07-03 18:36:29
Link | Quote | Reply

The console is as fake as the story.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2015-07-03 19:02:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sure you have vast expertise on the matter to base that on.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
Server: Carbuncle
user: Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2015-07-03 19:04:43
Link | Quote | Reply

The Playstation was actually going to be a new system for the nintendo , but since the sega cd did so bad, nintendo decided to go a different route, sony decided to release the playstation anyways though.
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
Server: Carbuncle
user: Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2015-07-03 19:15:17
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 leo
By leo 2015-07-03 19:37:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »

That system "is so fake" that even real programming information and real technical specs/documents leaked last year. Including information on the disc format it would use if it was released.

It has been said that Secret of Mana was originally supposed to run on that hardware. It was re-tooled for rom cartridge when the system got canned.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2015-07-07 21:22:28
Link | Quote | Reply

leo said: »

That system "is so fake" that even real programming information and real technical specs/documents leaked last year. Including information on the disc format it would use if it was released.

It has been said that Secret of Mana was originally supposed to run on that hardware. It was re-tooled for rom cartridge when the system got canned.
Wait this was proven fake??? Awe that sucks
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-07-07 21:27:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Ryanx said: »

nothing iv found or heard says its fake
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2015-07-07 21:55:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Your sarcasm detector's broken.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Yatenkou
Server: Ragnarok
user: Yatenkou
By Ragnarok.Yatenkou 2015-07-07 22:21:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I would kill to see it working...
 Cerberus.Kengo
Server: Cerberus
user: Kengosama
By Cerberus.Kengo 2015-07-07 22:34:29
Link | Quote | Reply

The story is certainly real, the console may be up in the air. The only person I could see that had any direct R&D toward the CD-ROM for the Super Famicom, was Ken Kutaragi.

The man bet everything on 13 and won. He had to put pretty much everything on the line to go forward with the Playstation after Nintendo told Sony to go pound sand.

If you were too young at the time, or simply can't look it up, no one in their right mind would go up against Nintendo in the late 80's early 90's when it came to toys and electronics. Not even Apple. The amount of control Horoshi Yamauchi had over his product, and the game cartridges companies had to buy from him to produce games was insane. You think DRM is bad today, back then if you wanted to make a game, and you didn't want to deal with Nintendo, you didn't make games, period. Sure, SEGA certainly tried it's best, but fell really short with bad management at the end of the 90's.

Kutaragi told developers that they didn't have to buy media directly from Sony, and CD-ROMS were cheap, cheap cheap, to produce. On top of that, CD-ROMS could do thinks that cartridges could not, such as MP3 quality music, 700MB of storage, and were easy to package and ship.

Developers were tired of Nintendo's control over the industry, and what started, if you ask me, was the greatest era of video games. We had companies trying to one up each other, not with paid DLC, or useless add-ons or broken promises, no. They made better games. They had too. It was glorious.

To this day, even though I love the Super NES, the original Playstation will always be my favorite system of all time. The video game renaissance will never happen again, and it was all thanks to Nintendo because they told Sony to go *** themselves over this little machine.
[+]
By Aelius 2015-07-07 23:25:29
Link | Quote | Reply

So that's how Playstation came to be.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2015-07-08 01:05:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Aelius said: »
So that's how Playstation came to be.

Yep it's one of those interesting moments of video game history. Sony was supposed to produce this 32-bit expansion device for the SNES and did all the R&D work for it. At the 11th hour Nintendo decided to can the project and go with the N64 and propriety cartridge technology, this left Sony holding onto 90% of a system but with no software developers. They decided to just finish the development since they had already spent the money.

And thus the playstation was born. You should see some of the original concept art when they were trying to decide on aesthetics and the startup logo.
[+]
By Draylo 2015-07-08 01:18:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
The video game renaissance will never happen again, and it was all thanks to Nintendo because they told Sony to go *** themselves over this little machine.

I wouldn't go that far. So much has changed in the past 30~ years. Who could say what can/will happen in the next 30 years? People are too doom and gloom about things in the game industry, decent games are still being produced. Maybe the next step of gaming will come about with some VR!? I know how many times has that been said lol.
[+]
By Aelius 2015-07-08 01:40:38
Link | Quote | Reply

A game depression may be closer than we think. Then comes the second renaissance and the VG industry will boom again with newer types of hardware. Probably augmented reality or something similar.
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2015-07-08 02:47:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Still waiting on nerve gear.
By Jetackuu 2015-07-08 11:28:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kengo said: »
such as MP3 quality music
MP3 quality audio sucks, cd quality is better.

AKA: your statement makes no sense.
 leo
By leo 2015-07-08 12:04:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Cerberus.Kengo said: »
such as MP3 quality music
MP3 quality audio sucks, cd quality is better.

AKA: your statement makes no sense.

First gen CD systems (PC-Engine/TG-16 and MEGA-CD/SEGA-CD) used modified CD player hardware as CD-ROM drives because it's what was available at the time.

CD Drives used on videogames started to become specialized CD-ROM drives at the SEGA Saturn/Playstation era, when CD-XA happened. Then it was possible to use ADPCM compressed audio and ditch some of the generic CD-ROM error correction to gain extra space for data. In that context "MP3" meaning compressed audio (the correct technical term is ADPCM as MP3 did not exist yet at the time). So it kind of does make sense. But not the right wording in it.
By Jetackuu 2015-07-08 12:12:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I meant generally that MP3 quality audio is lower than cd quality audio.
 Ragnarok.Yatenkou
By Ragnarok.Yatenkou 2015-07-08 13:56:16
Link | Quote | Reply

A game depression may be closer than we think. Then comes the second renaissance and the VG industry will boom again with newer types of hardware. Probably augmented reality or something similar.

Ok I'm not the only one getting that vibe of another video game crash like the one of 1983.
 Cerberus.Immortalmoon
By Cerberus.Immortalmoon 2015-07-08 14:04:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Still waiting on nerve gear.

http://mashable.com/2015/05/29/virtual-reality-sex/

it is on the way
By Ramyrez 2015-07-08 14:14:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Yatenkou said: »
Ok I'm not the only one getting that vibe of another video game crash like the one of 1983.

I don't think it will be quite like that.

But we've really already seen it to some point, with the money from the major players pretty much going solely to the big titles and then further merchandising for those franchises rather than other game developing.

As much as I adore Bioshock/Mass Effect/Dragon Age/etc., there's a price being paid in terms of sort of smothering creativity.

But there's going to be inevitable backlash eventually.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Yatenkou
By Ragnarok.Yatenkou 2015-07-08 14:31:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

I don't think it will be quite like that.

But we've really already seen it to some point, with the money from the major players pretty much going solely to the big titles and then further merchandising for those franchises rather than other game developing.

As much as I adore Bioshock/Mass Effect/Dragon Age/etc., there's a price being paid in terms of sort of smothering creativity.

But there's going to be inevitable backlash eventually.
Definitely, but the whole mobile gaming craze is what is solidifying my fears.
 leo
By leo 2015-07-08 14:49:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Games were good when they were like this:

Cerberus.Kengo
user: Kengosama
By Cerberus.Kengo 2015-07-08 17:41:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Games were good when they were like this:

Video games were good when they were released FINISHED!

Remember those days?
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2015-07-08 17:57:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Need to get Schizm in here to verify.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-07-08 18:36:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I would kill to see it working...
maybe you can start with fonewear :D
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-07-08 18:40:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I think in part its already here. I can say im not rly happy with the industry now. New systems out every other weeks. Costing 500+ each. Single games approaching $100+ each. That in itself is a joke. Then things like xbox takes it further. After all that, then you need to pay for an internet connection, pay for xbox live subscription, then you pay for DLC. Now some game manufacturers are talking about making the endings for there games DLC.... its a travesty. - And that doesn't even being to touch the games themselves. So many are such low quality. Tons of games are never even heard of by the general public unless its released/advertised by 'big named' companies. It gets kind depressing.
First Page 2