Police DO NOT Need A Warrant To Search Your Home

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Police DO NOT Need A Warrant To Search Your Home
Police DO NOT Need A Warrant To Search Your Home
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-07-03 07:47:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Renzy said: »
Reads to me like if you have reasonable cause that a suspect is inside a private property but the home owner is present and refusing you access, you now have the lawful power to enter that property.
Same also stands if the home owner is not present due to having been arrested.

A lawful power which we've had in the UK since 1984, although it doesn't just apply to any old offence. It must be an indictable offence (think you guys call them felony). Surely US police won't be kicking doors down for a stolen loaf of bread?
is the murder vic... ahem i mean suspect a black teen ?
[+]
By fonewear 2015-07-03 07:49:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Everything will be okay just stop being black people !
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-07-03 07:54:07
Link | Quote | Reply

fun fact california police can slam you on the ground for walking out of your house in a threatening manner (just woke up didn't even know they were there lol) and im like Conan O'brien white!
[+]
By fonewear 2015-07-03 07:55:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pretty white but I could always be whiter ! I try to avoid the Sun.
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-07-03 07:57:17
Link | Quote | Reply

1 word Chemotherapy i was damn near clear for a good 6 years of my life lol
By Jetackuu 2015-07-03 07:58:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Anjisnu said: »
1 word Chemotherapy i was damn near clear for a good 6 years of my life lol
at least you can laugh about that.
By fonewear 2015-07-03 08:00:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Laughter is the only thing that get me through the drudgery of family and work ! Actually it is beer but laughter helps too !
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-07-03 08:01:43
Link | Quote | Reply

also i never needed a halloween costume because i fulltimed zombie harder than an rmt does sparks gear
[+]
By fonewear 2015-07-03 08:03:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I've not had very many run ins with the cops but if I do I'm sure to put my hands up and say don't shoot !
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-07-03 08:04:21
Link | Quote | Reply

don't be a minority while doing that!
[+]
By fonewear 2015-07-03 08:05:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not scared of getting shot. I'm scared of getting another speeding ticket though !
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-07-03 08:05:22
Link | Quote | Reply

also anyone else find something hilarious about the stance of the cop on the far right of the picture he looks ready to bludgeon somebody to ***with his gun lol
By Jetackuu 2015-07-03 08:06:47
Link | Quote | Reply

also i never needed a halloween costume because i fulltimed zombie harder than an rmt does sparks gear
my alts are in sparks gear, I'm too cheap to reforge ***, and I haven't done adoulin ***.
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-07-03 08:07:21
Link | Quote | Reply

jet please stop being an rmt you are ruining the game!
By Jetackuu 2015-07-03 08:09:31
Link | Quote | Reply

jet please stop being an rmt you are ruining the game!
Never would do such a thing, just as a BST assisting with quests it was easy :P
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-07-03 08:11:06
Link | Quote | Reply

lol i kid gotta pass the time while Pleebo is unwilling to gay marry me somehow
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-07-03 08:13:21
Link | Quote | Reply

lol i kid gotta pass the time while Pleebo is unwilling to gay marry me somehow
I'd go get certified to officiate that union.
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2015-07-03 08:57:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Renzy said: »
Reads to me like if you have reasonable cause that a suspect is inside a private property but the home owner is present and refusing you access, you now have the lawful power to enter that property.
Same also stands if the home owner is not present due to having been arrested.

A lawful power which we've had in the UK since 1984, although it doesn't just apply to any old offence. It must be an indictable offence (think you guys call them felony). Surely US police won't be kicking doors down for a stolen loaf of bread?

No it doesn't.

It states in very clear language that if two lawful residents are in opposition to whether the police can come in, one says yes and the other says no, the police may enter if the other member leaves through being lawfully detained. If there are two residents, and they both say no the police, the police can't search even if one or both are taken into custody. They still need someone to give them permission, otherwise they need a warrant. The police can and will intimidate people into giving them one, which is why people need to reiterate that magic statement I said above. It put the officer in a position that if they persist, then it becomes grounds for a harassment lawsuit.

The title is extremely misleading, so much that it should qualify as trolling.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-03 09:11:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Odin.Jassik said: »
Voren said: »
Fenrir.Reece said: »
Just because an arrest, or search was unlawful and in the process of that they found evidence to said crime. Does not mean it still didn't happen. They're not going to wave off 10 kilos of Heroin under your kitchen sink because you was unlawfully detained...

Yeah actually they will. Key word would be unlawful.

Just like a confession gained through beating someone isn't admissible. Different level of unlawful, but still unlawful.

What's to stop them from detaining someone under suspicion of a crime or claiming they match the description of someone who is wanted and dragging them in only to release them without charges after they've searched their house in their absence? Or deciding not to press charges for whatever bunk they made up and charging them with whatever they found in the house?

They could stop you for "swerving" (being on the road around last call) then arrest them for something they notice in the car while conducting a sobriety test. I realize that cars and homes are different legally, I'm just curious if you see anything in this decision that would keep some from interpreting the law that way?

Doesn't work that way, they still need a lawful resident to agree to the search. They can't randomly search unoccupied houses during the middle of the day when people are at work, without first getting a warrant.

Obviously, someone would have to consent. That's not what I was asking.
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2015-07-03 10:41:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Just because an arrest, or search was unlawful and in the process of that they found evidence to said crime. Does not mean it still didn't happen. They're not going to wave off 10 kilos of Heroin under your kitchen sink because you was unlawfully detained...

Just like a confession gained through beating someone isn't admissible. Different level of unlawful, but still unlawful.

What's to stop them from detaining someone under suspicion of a crime or claiming they match the description of someone who is wanted and dragging them in only to release them without charges after they've searched their house in their absence? Or deciding not to press charges for whatever bunk they made up and charging them with whatever they found in the house?

They could stop you for "swerving" (being on the road around last call) then arrest them for something they notice in the car while conducting a sobriety test. I realize that cars and homes are different legally, I'm just curious if you see anything in this decision that would keep some from interpreting the law that way?

Doesn't work that way, they still need a lawful resident to agree to the search. They can't randomly search unoccupied houses during the middle of the day when people are at work, without first getting a warrant.

Obviously, someone would have to consent. That's not what I was asking.

It actually was exactly what you were saying.

Quote:
What's to stop them from detaining someone under suspicion of a crime or claiming they match the description of someone who is wanted and dragging them in only to release them without charges after they've searched their house in their absence?/quote]

If another person is a lawful resident of that home and they give consent, then it's a legal search, same as it was anyway. The police can't go to a random house, drag the guy to jail and then search his house, that is still illegal as ***.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-03 10:49:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually, NO, it's not what I was saying.

..if they remove you from the premises via an unlawful detainment then intimidate or otherwise coerce a roommate or spouse into letting them search the home, even if you voiced your objection before they unlawfully detained you...
 Fenrir.Reece
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Reece 2015-07-03 11:50:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm actually sad you think this happens more times than often.
Technically yes, you are right. I don't disagree.

However within my example and many others that could probably be brought forward if you think they'll do that with the way system works as of late (or a long time depending location etc) then I'm sorry that's extremely naive.
By Voren 2015-07-03 16:19:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm actually sad you think this happens more times than often.
Technically yes, you are right. I don't disagree.

However within my example and many others that could probably be brought forward if you think they'll do that with the way system works as of late (or a long time depending location etc) then I'm sorry that's extremely naive.

I've seen a person that was arrested for 10 kilos of meth walk because the probable cause used to stop the vehicle was thrown out. Without proper probable cause everything else is tainted.

I've seen a three people walk on trafficking charges because the probable cause to stop and detain was thrown out even though it was ligit (driving 45mph in the passing lane on the interstate-70mph zone-which pisses people off anyways)

I don't know what you've read or heard, but things get tossed. It all depends upon how you present it to the DA and how hard the DA actually works, oh and if the judge got to bang his mistress the night before.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-07-03 22:42:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I heard judges love it when they need to be called at 5am in the morning and you start arguing with them.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-07-03 22:58:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I've seen a three people walk on trafficking charges because the probable cause to stop and detain was thrown out even though it was ligit (driving 45mph in the passing lane on the interstate-70mph zone-which pisses people off anyways)
I'm curious what the probable cause is here. From what I recall, the minimum speed is somewhere around 40-45mph. So from that aspect, the speed isn't the issue (i.e. in compliance with the law). Is it the UVC "keep right" for slow(er) traffic, and is the state compliant with the UVC, or have their own specific phrasing for using the passing lane?
Which they could get a ticket for, but that doesn't seem reasonable as probable cause for criminal activity using the "specific and articulable facts" criteria (i.e. "They were driving too slow in the left lane").

But by all means, I'm not a legal professional or police office, so please feel free to clarify misconceptions.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-04 00:16:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
I'm curious what the probable cause is here. From what I recall, the minimum speed is somewhere around 40-45mph. So from that aspect, the speed isn't the issue (i.e. in compliance with the law). Is it the UVC "keep right" for slow(er) traffic, and is the state compliant with the UVC, or have their own specific phrasing for using the passing lane?
Which they could get a ticket for, but that doesn't seem reasonable as probable cause for criminal activity using the "specific and articulable facts" criteria (i.e. "They were driving too slow in the left lane").

But by all means, I'm not a legal professional or police office, so please feel free to clarify misconceptions.

You could argue that they were obstructing traffic or even driving recklessly. Having a vehicle traveling significantly slower than traffic can be quite dangerous. Enough to warrant a stop and sniff, anyway.