Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » Your first final fantasy game
Your first final fantasy game
 Ragnarok.Hotkarl
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: hotkarl
By Ragnarok.Hotkarl 2015-06-27 20:36:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Seen a friend with 6 but was too young to get the grasp of an RPG. 7 was my first RPG I actually played (reluctantly) and was hooked ever since. 20 years later I have a box of countless rpg's in my closet, suikodens,dragon quests, wild arms, countless others ps1+. Those days are over sadly, and newer western rpg's were always garbage IMO. Currently reliving the glory days with ff12 and loving it, SMT: noctourne next up after 12.
 Asura.Entropyangel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Entropyangel 2015-06-27 20:59:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I was just playing my old version of FF12 IZJS if you dont have it i can send you the English patch for it
By Trapjaw 2015-06-27 21:08:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Final Fantasy 1 was my first. A friend brought it over and showed it to me. I thought it was the dumbest playing game I'd ever seen...for about 15minutes. I got right into that ***afterwards! Played the hell out of it for a very long time and can still remember the glorious day when I beat it. I've probably played through the original and put more hours into it than all other FF's. Well, other than XI of course lol.
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-06-27 21:20:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »
FF8. Wasn't looking to play it. I just happened to be walking around Best Buy a few weeks after its release, and saw the plastic placard they used to use say $4.99. So I picked it up and went to buy.

not to dissimilar from my starting to play 11. As a teen when i first heard of a final fantasy being an mmorpg (never having played an mmorpg) i hated the idea. It irritated me that they would do such a thing. And i ignored it for many years.

Then one weekend when i was off from work i had the extremely rare occurrence of being bored enough that i actually went out to attempt to do something about it. I went to bust buy to try and find something. I looked for a good while but just didn't find anything that caught my eye. And then i found myself standing in front of the 2007 Vavadiel collection (RoZ ToAH CoP) for 19.99. I still wasn't found of the idea, but i also wasn't fond of there being a FF that i hadn't played. So it all aligned in that moment; bored, nothing else to do, irritated that i didnt play the game even tho i didnt want to... And it had a month free. So i figure what the hell'

8 years later... here i am!
 Ragnarok.Hotkarl
user: hotkarl
By Ragnarok.Hotkarl 2015-06-27 21:20:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Entropyangel said: »
I was just playing my old version of FF12 IZJS if you dont have it i can send you the English patch for it
I wasn't a fan of the zodiac version. The freedom to use whoever and however at a wim was what made 12 my favorite... Although on my 3rd play through I still always use vaan,Fran, and balthier main ><
 Asura.Entropyangel
By Asura.Entropyangel 2015-06-27 21:22:29
Link | Quote | Reply

i liked the ability to choose my class for all the people really
By Aelius 2015-06-27 21:33:50
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Ragnarok.Kongming
user: koumei
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2015-06-27 21:37:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Striker said: »
Got this baby in 1994 when I was 5 years old, I've been hooked ever since and it survived my Gamestop trade in phase so I still have it.
The Legend games for the Gameboy were actually part of the SaGa series, renamed to "Final Fantasy" to capitalize on the popularity of the brand.

Similarly, Final Fantasy Adventure for the GB is actually part of the Seiken Densetsu series

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-27 22:12:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Seekerstar said: »
Valefor.Endoq said: »

I got this game back around 1988 and I still enjoy playing it.
The only good FF game imo... with the exception of ffxi, but ffxi hardly fits the description of an FF game.

Nintendo Power's Black Mage Challenge!
All WHMs or go home.

[+]
 Shiva.Kingmancat
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Kingmancat 2015-06-27 22:19:32
Link | Quote | Reply

MY first Final Fantasy? THE first Final Fantasy.

Being the gaming collector I am, I own every game in the prime series, every game from the spun-off series, as well as every game Square Soft and Square Enix have put out in the US.
By CapnCrass 2015-06-28 19:20:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Final Fantasy was my first FF game. I remember Nintendo Power had an offer where if you subscribed for a year you got a copy of FF, the guide, and a big fold-out map for free, so I had my parents cancel and re-subscribe so I could get it.

Did the same thing with Dragon Warrior, but that game blew goats. I have proof.

Cerberus.Laconic said: »

Still got the magazine, its entirely taped up with scotch tape literally.

Same, though mine's laminated with contact film; my mom was a teacher, so she had lots of office supplies around the house. Pretty sure that's the only copy of Nintendo Power I still have.
 Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Ninjaface
By Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface 2015-06-28 19:29:41
Link | Quote | Reply

iv was the first one I played, but the first one I really comprehended and finished was VII.
 Asura.Natenn
user: Naten
By Asura.Natenn 2015-06-28 20:21:07
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-06-28 21:03:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I played a FFI and FFV but FFVII was the first one I really got into the side quests and optional content and tactics was the first that I really played hardcore. I didn't really like JRPG's until tactics.
 Asura.Natenn
user: Naten
By Asura.Natenn 2015-06-28 21:31:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
I played a FFI and FFV but FFVII was the first one I really got into the side quests and optional content and tactics was the first that I really played hardcore. I didn't really like JRPG's until tactics.
when i replay tactics i spend most the time building a thf and mediator this fight specifically, not in psp remake since cant steal from elmdor anymore, but ah do i remember the rage as a wee lad.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-06-29 09:54:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Natenn said: »
Odin.Jassik said: »
when i replay tactics i spend most the time building a thf and mediator this fight specifically, not in psp remake since cant steal from elmdor anymore, but ah do i remember the rage as a wee lad.

It's now on Android for like 13 bucks, but it's the PSP version as far as I can tell. Guts > mettle and bug fixes.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-29 10:07:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Kongming said: »
The Legend games for the Gameboy were actually part of the SaGa series, renamed to "Final Fantasy" to capitalize on the popularity of the brand.

Similarly, Final Fantasy Adventure for the GB is actually part of the Seiken Densetsu series

Really. S/he was five.

I think you can get away with letting them remember it as their first FF.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-29 10:09:05
Link | Quote | Reply

More were to come shortly thereafter, but this was the first available the place I rented games; they never had the NES entries.
Game: FFXIV
By Terrah Crystal 2015-06-29 11:50:53
Link | Quote | Reply

The first FF I played was FF III (SNES), which I borrowed from a friend several times. I even got busted while I was grounded from the SNES by my uncle and borrowed a friends SNES (yes this actually happened) and played it nonstop, until I got caught with the friends system.

The first FF I actually got as a gift was FF7 though. But FFIII was still the pinnacle for me at the time
[+]
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-06-29 11:54:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I always find my entrance into the FF series an interesting one, when I was younger Final Fantasy wasn't even on my radar then my mum came home from shopping and had picked FF7 up for me out of the blue, so it's her fault I play this damn MMO all the time I reckon.

Also she got me hooked on Kingdom Hearts too under similar circumstances.
 Phoenix.Scarve
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Scarve 2015-06-29 12:03:44
Link | Quote | Reply

My first Final Fantasy was FFVIII. I had a friend who had FFVII and he was like "best evarrr!" but I thought it was terrible because it looked really clunky and blocky, and I was still in the heart of 16-bit RPG era. I picked up FFVIII when it first came out and I, for one, thought VIII was amazing. My first RPG however was Dragon Warrior on the NES when I was 4 or 5. Still go back to it to kill me some 8-bit slime!
By Zaeeth 2015-06-29 13:14:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I bought the very first one at Toys R Us on my 15th birthday. Still a great game! I've played that one in all sorts of party combinations. Four of a single job are pretty fun 4 MNKs or BLMs are so overpowered later on.

About a year ago I pulled it out for my boys, 9 and 7 at time. The oldest, "Dad, those graphics suck." They're so spoiled.
[+]
 Bahamut.Oakozric
Server: Bahamut
user: Oakozric
By Bahamut.Oakozric 2015-06-29 13:28:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I played FF1 at a friends house down the street, and as influential as it was, FFIV (2US) was really what had an impact on my life. I think it was the first time I experienced a story (a journey, an adventure) in a videogame. Super immersive.

I basically still play FFXI today because of FFIV. It's the closest thing to experiencing that universe I've found to date.
[+]
 Fenrir.Moldtech
Server: Fenrir
user: Moldtech
By Fenrir.Moldtech 2015-06-29 14:24:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Final Fantasy!
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-06-29 14:31:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Aelius said: »

still have mine too ^^
By Jetackuu 2015-06-29 14:36:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I was going to go there, but got lazy.

Phoenix.Scarve said: »
but I thought it was terrible because it looked really clunky and blocky
and 8 doesn't?

Don't get me wrong 8 is probably my favorite in the series, but it's graphics could use a touch up.

Asura.Pintseyes
user: yurmy123
By Asura.Pintseyes 2015-06-29 14:49:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Long live NES and the beginning of the Square legends. My first was their first, FF 1. I managed to play/beat them all as far as the main series goes. To date I have not played and beaten ff14, ff13 - did play ff13x2 and I started and never continued ff8 - so much boring *** dialogue I had to quit.

If I had to pick a favorite, it would either be ff3 or ff11, naturally ff7 would also be a contender, but I never had a playstation so unfortunately I had to wait and play Pc version.
 Phoenix.Scarve
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Scarve 2015-06-29 15:12:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

I was going to go there, but got lazy.

Phoenix.Scarve said: »
but I thought it was terrible because it looked really clunky and blocky
and 8 doesn't?

Don't get me wrong 8 is probably my favorite in the series, but it's graphics could use a touch up.

It does and I'm not saying VIII is miles better, but I appreciated it's use of the same models in and out of battle, vs. super deformed 3D "Popeye". If the same character models were used in combat and outside, I might have taken a different stand 16 years ago.