Gay Marriage Now Legal Across The US

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Gay Marriage Now Legal Across the US
Gay Marriage Now Legal Across the US
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13 14
By fonewear 2015-06-26 20:16:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Josiahfk said: »
I would have guessed 22.

Time flies when you waste it on a video game forum !
 Shiva.Shruiken
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Shruiken 2015-06-26 22:51:58
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By protectorchrono 2015-06-27 00:21:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Shruiken said: »

This pic literally made me smile. :D I know most don't like Obama, but I thank him from the bottom of my heart for the good he's done for the LGBT community, like ending "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" among others. He's probably the only President, besides Bill Clinton that supports LGBT rights. Hopefully the next President will also be a supporter for Gay rights.
By fonewear 2015-06-27 06:05:10
Link | Quote | Reply

The interesting thing about that picture is he runs around the white house every day with a rainbow flag !
 Asura.Wormfeeder
Server: Asura
By Asura.Wormfeeder 2015-06-27 06:46:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Just remember with gay marriage comes gay divorce. I wonder if some slick tv producer will come up with lbgt divorce court. I could watch that for the comedic value alone.
[+]
By fillerbunny9 2015-06-27 16:32:16
Link | Quote | Reply

well, they already tried to do a gay version of The Bachelor, so why the hell not?
 Cerberus.Laconic
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Laconic 2015-06-27 19:04:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Wormfeeder said: »
Just remember with gay marriage comes gay divorce. I wonder if some slick tv producer will come up with lbgt divorce court. I could watch that for the comedic value alone.

How exactly does gay divorce work? With 2 males or females it will be impossible too screw the man out of everything!
[+]
 Fenrir.Camiie
Server: Fenrir
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2015-06-27 19:41:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Laconic said: »

How exactly does gay divorce work? With 2 males or females it will be impossible too screw the man out of everything!

Well for those who think gay marriage is only a bad thing, perhaps this could lead to reforms in divorce law for everyone. Of course that may be another long wait for justice and equality.
 Asura.Wormfeeder
By Asura.Wormfeeder 2015-06-27 19:53:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Camiie said: »

Well for those who think gay marriage is only a bad thing, perhaps this could lead to reforms in divorce law for everyone. Of course that may be another long wait for justice and equality.
If it causes lawyers to lose money it wont happen. Since it is lawyers in politics making the laws that favor their check book.
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2015-06-27 20:52:41
Link | Quote | Reply

LOL.
 Ragnarok.Raenil
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2015-06-27 21:42:20
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2015-06-28 10:58:57
Link | Quote | Reply

My favorite take on the related facebook trend so far.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-28 11:01:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I always knew Facebook was gay this proves it !
By fonewear 2015-06-28 11:06:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Meanwhile on the Official FFXI forum !

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/47448-The-Game-Is-Ending...-Can-I-get-this-please

The Game Is Ending... Can I get this please?

With the game finally coming to an end, and this already being out in a newer Final Fantasy,
can we please get same-gender marriage?

I'm not going to go all crazy like people on the FFXIV boards, but it shouldn't take too much tweaking and I'd really appreciate it---I'm sure a whole lot of other gamers would too... I've played this game for years and I'd like to finally be able to marry someone of the same-gender on here. Silly, I know, but it'd mean a lot for my favorite game to at least have this before it truly stops getting updates and just minor bug fixes/patches.

Thank you so much,
- Beloved FFXI fan.
 Sylph.Kawar
Server: Sylph
user: Kawar
By Sylph.Kawar 2015-06-28 11:12:03
Link | Quote | Reply

It is about time took us to dam long to pass this bill. Now things that should not have been a matter this big can now happen legal as they should have from the start.

people of the same sex should in the US from the start should have had this right. I am happy to see them getting the rights they are owed.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-28 11:40:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Grumpy Cat said: »

My favorite take on the related facebook trend so far.
I didn't get this at first until I looked at other people's friends and saw the whole rainbow filter on their profile pics.

lol.
 Ragnarok.Dankiller
Server: Ragnarok
user: DANIEL10
By Ragnarok.Dankiller 2015-06-28 11:49:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-30 03:45:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton defended the religious liberty of state employees in a statement Sunday, saying they would not have to issue marriage licenses or perform weddings for same-sex couples and called the Supreme Court’s Friday decision “a lawless ruling.”

While critics see this as short-lived political posturing, some conservatives see it as the start of a state's rights movement against the US high court's decision on gay marriages.

The court's landmark 5-4 decision in Obergefell v. Hodges declared same-sex marriage a constitutional right, but Attorney General Paxton said in a statement that the ruling “stops at the door of the First Amendment” and cannot touch religious freedom.

He added that lawyers would be made available to anti-same-sex marriage officials who face legal consequences for religiously motivated actions.

“A ruling by the US Supreme Court is considered the law of the land, but a judge-made edict that is not based in the law or the Constitution diminishes faith in our system of government and the rule of law,” Paxton said.

His condemnation of the decision echoes similar remarks by Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R), who said in a statement Friday that no “adverse action” may be taken against state officials acting – or refusing to act – on their religious beliefs.

“Texans of all faiths must be absolutely secure in the knowledge that their religious freedom is beyond the reach of government,” Gov. Abbott said. “Renewing and reinforcing that promise is all the more important in light of the Supreme Court’s decision in Obergefell v. Hodges. The government must never pressure a person to abandon or violate his or her sincerely held religious beliefs regarding a topic such as marriage.”
Texas attorney general calls court's gay marriage decision 'a lawless ruling'
 Bismarck.Siggymund
Premium
Server: Bismarck
user: Sigmund
By Bismarck.Siggymund 2015-06-30 05:20:27
Link | Quote | Reply

With the loss of having to fight about marriage they will move onto the church. Also I heard a quote of an activist already compiling that they have loss the specialness of there sexual choice. They will never be happy. I am not against equality but using a government to force a religion to do what 2~5% of the population wants is just wrong. The Supreme Court should have just ruled all marriage nullified and removed the states from performing any, and removed it from the tax code. (sigh~, I despise arguments like this, all it does is pull us apart as a country)
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2015-06-30 05:35:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Allen West has already raised this argument, stemming from the SCOTUS ruling:

Quote:
"The Court used Section 1 of the Fourteen Amendment to justify its argument, which reads: Amendment XIV Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law, which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Now here is the kicker, as the writer articulately brings to light: “By using the Constitution in such a manner, the Court argues that the Due Process Clause extends “certain personal choices central to individual dignity and autonomy” accepted in a majority of states across the state lines of a handful of states that still banned the practice. The vast majority of states are “shall issue” on the matter of issuing concealed carry permits, and enjoy reciprocity with a large number of other states. My North Carolina concealed carry permit, for example, was recognized yesterday as being valid in 36 states, which just so happened to be the number of states in which gay marriage was legal yesterday. But 14 states did not recognize my concealed carry permit yesterday. Today they must."

It's an interesting argument. Many against it would say that the ruling is meant for the purpose of gay marriage. However, many times, the SCOTUS rulings are later applied to completely unrelated cases.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-30 05:44:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Siggymund said: »
all it does is pull us apart as a country
That's the plan.

[+]
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-06-30 06:03:19
Link | Quote | Reply

all you nut butters and clam clappers can start thanking me i've said many times if i stop watching the news for a week gay folk will be able to marry
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-06-30 06:47:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kawar said: »
It is about time took us to dam long to pass this bill

That's not how the Supreme Court works.

[Edit: I said "now how" when I meant "not how", which is a completely different statement.]
 Asura.Wormfeeder
By Asura.Wormfeeder 2015-06-30 06:59:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Drama Torama said: »

That's now how the Supreme Court works.
It is not the supreme courts job to make law, their job is to interpret law to make decisions based on the constitutionality of the law.
By Jetackuu 2015-06-30 07:09:32
Link | Quote | Reply

It is not the supreme courts job to make law, their job is to interpret law to make decisions based on the constitutionality of the law.
Which is exactly what they did.
By fonewear 2015-06-30 07:21:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I hope the Supreme Court passes a bill to deliver free chocolate to my house !
[+]
 Asura.Wormfeeder
By Asura.Wormfeeder 2015-06-30 07:35:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

But it isnt their job for this, like abortion gay marriage is an issue for the states. There is no mention in the constitution about marriage or abortion hence it is an issue for the states
By Jetackuu 2015-06-30 07:37:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

But it isnt their job for this, like abortion gay marriage is an issue for the states. There is no mention in the constitution about marriage or abortion hence it is an issue for the states

Obviously it is their job, and equal protection under the law isn't a "right" for the states. It's a right of the people, and under the United States Constitution, all people are to be treated equally, regardless of what the states (or people) want. Which is one of the reasons we're a constitutional republic, and not a democracy.
[+]
 Asura.Wormfeeder
By Asura.Wormfeeder 2015-06-30 07:57:35
Link | Quote | Reply

The bright side of this is that concealed carry permits are legal in all states now. New york city and chicago have to allow it now. I can hear the crying now, But what good for the goose. I can now go to newyork city and legally carry.
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13 14