Supreme Court's Ruling Full Of Spider-Man Quips

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Supreme Court's Ruling Full of Spider-Man Quips
Supreme Court's Ruling Full of Spider-Man Quips
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-06-22 21:49:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Elena Kagan is a comic book fan in real life
Newser

Quote:
The inventor of a popular Spider-Man web-shooting toy can't keep reeling in royalties after his patent ran out, the Supreme Court ruled 6-3 today. Stephen Kimble sold his patent on the toy to Marvel in 2001, and as the Verge explains, Marvel said it would pay him royalties indefinitely. But when it uncovered a 1964 Supreme Court decision that found royalties could cease once a patent expired, Marvel in 2010 halted payments. It's a ruling that's perhaps garnering more headlines than usual, thanks to the number of comic-book jokes Elena Kagan incorporated into the opinion she wrote for the court.

Vox points out that per Supreme Court Review, Kagan is "a comic book fan and an avid fan of comic-book based action films, claiming that she has seen them all and that her favorite film is The Avengers" (she also likes frozen yogurt). A collection of her most Spider-y lines, from Slate and Vox:

The parties were "apparently contemplating that [the royalties] would continue for as long as kids want to imitate Spider-Man (by doing whatever a spider can)."
"Patents endow their holders with certain superpowers, but only for a limited time."
"To the contrary, the decision's close relation to a whole web of precedents means that reversing it could threaten others."
"As against this superpowered form of stare decisis, we would need a superspecial justification to warrant reversing [an old decision]."
"What we can decide, we can undecide. But stare decisis teaches that we should exercise that authority sparingly. Cf. S. Lee and S. Ditko, Amazing Fantasy No 15: "Spider-Man," p 13 (1962): ('n this world, with great power there must also come great responsibility)."
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-06-24 07:09:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree with the ruling overall. However Marvel should have stuck to their bargain and kept paying the man.

I'm a great fan of interjecting pop culture into anything, including this.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-06-24 10:14:34
Link | Quote | Reply

To me it is a contractual issue.

If there was a written contract.
By Jetackuu 2015-06-24 10:18:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
To me it is a contractual issue.

If there was a written contract.
True, I'm going off the wording that was used in the quote, it all depends on the contract and the wording of the contract, if they went against that, then there's a bit of an issue imo.
 Asura.Ivlilla
Server: Asura
user: cevkiv
By Asura.Ivlilla 2015-06-24 10:19:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, this should have been a straight up matter of contract law. I wonder what the particulars of the case were.
By fonewear 2015-06-24 10:23:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Mental image Elena Kagan in a spider man costume...
By fonewear 2015-06-24 10:24:12
Link | Quote | Reply

This is what feminism looks like !
By Jetackuu 2015-06-24 10:24:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Please Fone, spoiler that.
[+]
By Hinamori 2015-06-24 10:25:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
I agree with the ruling overall. However Marvel should have stuck to their bargain and kept paying the man.

I agree, even though the patent ended, they said they would pay him indefinitely. Going back on that makes them look bad.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-06-24 20:54:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ivlilla said: »
Yeah, this should have been a straight up matter of contract law. I wonder what the particulars of the case were.
As do I.

Hinamori said: »
Jetackuu said: »

I agree, even though the patent ended, they said they would pay him indefinitely. Going back on that makes them look bad.
So exactly my POV.
 Asura.Ivlilla
Server: Asura
user: cevkiv
By Asura.Ivlilla 2015-06-25 00:07:40
Link | Quote | Reply

They agreed to a contract, the agreement was not illegal, and, though they were ignorant of the law, ignorance of the law is not an excuse.

So I imagine there's something we're just not hearing.
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-06-25 01:35:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Those are quotes from Spider Man? I don't get it...
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-06-25 10:55:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Quips =/= quotes.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-07-01 15:18:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Finally the actual story about the ruling.

In Spider-Man Toy Patent Case, Supreme Court Stands by Past Decision
N.Y.Times

Excerpts of the legal stuff:

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Writing for the majority in a patent case about a Spider-Man toy, Justice Elena Kagan concluded her decision with a quotation from a 1962 Spider-Man comic book: “In this world, with great power there must also come — great responsibility.”

The lesson, Justice Kagan wrote, is that the Supreme Court should use its power cautiously when it is asked to overrule a precedent. “What we can decide, we can undecide,” she wrote. “But stare decisis” — Latin for “to stand by things decided” — “teaches that we should exercise that authority sparingly.”

That led the court to leave in place, by a 6-to-3 vote, a widely criticized 1964 decision and to rule against an inventor who had unwittingly signed an unfavorable contract....

... The settlement included a licensing agreement that called for royalty payments to Mr. Kimble from the sale of the competing toy, with no end date.

But the agreement ran afoul of the 1964 decision, Brulotte v. Thys Company, which said that royalty payments after the expiration of a patent were unlawful. Neither side had been aware of the decision when they struck their deal, but Marvel later argued that the decision spared it from having to pay Mr. Kimble after 2010, when his patent expired....
By Bloodrose 2015-07-01 16:12:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Always renew your patents if you want to keep getting paid for them.
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-07-01 16:15:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
Always renew your patents if you want to keep getting paid for them.

Misread that as "parents".

Had me wondering what kind of business venture I'm missing out on.
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-07-01 16:19:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, that's a horrible decision (and so is the original one). It essentially means that a patent holder needs to ensure that a patent payment is front-loaded and up-front, which is a risky move for a good number of businesses. The concept of working with the entity willing to buy the patent for mutually beneficial gains just got shot in the leg.
By Bloodrose 2015-07-01 16:20:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Well, that's a horrible decision (and so is the original one). It essentially means that a patent holder needs to ensure that a patent payment is front-loaded and up-front, which is a risky move for a good number of businesses. The concept of working with the entity willing to buy the patent for mutually beneficial gains just got shot in the leg.
Well, it didn't have much of a leg to stand on, legally speaking, to begin with.

Much more accurate to say that leg was blown off with a nerf gun.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-01 16:22:25
Link | Quote | Reply

There are so many extremely vague patents already awarded. US Patent Law needs an overhaul. Some patent hawk recently tried to claim they were entitled to royalties for every single 3rd party Android app ever made because of some incredibly vague software patent that bankrupt small tech firm had that they bought.