FFVII Remake... It's Official! (Discussion)

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » FFVII Remake... It's official! (Discussion)
FFVII Remake... It's official! (Discussion)
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 ... 23 24 25
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-06-23 12:19:11
Link | Quote | Reply

That was Mako *** up Cloud, obviously too much influence from Zack, post-mind fixed Cloud was a man amongst men...swoon.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-23 12:35:31
Link | Quote | Reply

A feminized version of Cloud... lol
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-06-23 12:42:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Cecil and Firion are like GTFO Cloud, you can't do bishounen better than us.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-06-23 13:25:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Cerberus.Tidis said: »
My friend and I just call it cutscene death, you're only at risk of permanent death in a cutscene.
Squall taking a huge icicle through the chest would like to question this. But since he only speaks in ellipses, I'll have to do it on his behalf.

And Ravael, I specifically said the characters have no arcs. They all have backstories (some are even vaguely interesting), but if you aren't Cloud, Aerith, or Sephiroth, you don't get an arc. What changes for Tifa throughout the game? She's been big sister/kind of a love interest to Cloud, which makes her an interesting character, but once you've learned about their past together, boom, that's it. Nothing changes. Barrett is the same. We don't even get a backstory for Vincent Valentine. Yuffie is probably the closest we get to a side-story arc, which is hilarious considering she's optional loli fap material. Red XIII almost gets some kind of character arc but you could miss it if you blink. The only one who changes is Cait Sith, the double-robot double-agent, and his story is literally "I was totally spying on you guys but now I'm on your side LOL." To which every gamer with a functioning brainstem said, "Wait, you're still here?"

Let's contrast with the other game getting re-whatevered: FFXII. Vaan and Penelo are throwaway characters, can't dispute that, but Ashe, Balthier, Basche, and Fran all experience individual stories and change over the course of the game, even though the most interesting one (Fran) is rather brief and subtle. They're a lot of trope-tastic stories, of course, but there's actual growth and change.

When they *** up FFVII with this re-release, I hope they at least bother to let Tifa grab Cloud by the neck and shake him around for rebuffing her for years. And add a minigame where we have to repeatedly fire Cait Sith robots into the sun until we hit 1,000,000 points (1 point per death), at which point Aerith learns how to survive that silly cutscene papercut and we can have a useful character finish out the plot.

At the very least, have an ending. Even you folks wanting a graphical update and nothing else (why? I really don't get it) should agree that actually having an ending and resolution would be nice.

I'll start off by saying that the original translation of FFVII was a botchjob much like FFT which released around the same time. Any update would straighten out the problems associated with the lame translation.

Re: Arcs.

Barret's backstory is pretty clear. He grew up in Corel, was friends with Dyne, his wife died, SHINRA did him wrong after he supported building the reactor and then he lost his friend/arm/town to a Shinra attack. He blames himself for all of this. He takes up raising Marlene in turn.

His whole 'save the planet' thing is cover for the fact that Shinra took everything from him and he's bitter about it. Becoming an eco-terrorist via AVALANCHE turns out to be its own can of worms when he gets his gang killed when Shinra reacts by blowing the plate support in Sector 7. More blood on Barret's hands he thinks.

After Dyne shows back up to get killed, his motivations change to legitimately saving the planet and raising his daughter, finally realizing it's better to look at what you have than what you could have had.

And that all of those things weren't his fault, but Shinra being Shinra.
 Asura.Natenn
Server: Asura
user: Naten
By Asura.Natenn 2015-07-10 17:14:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Shiva.Onorgul said: »
My friend and I just call it cutscene death, you're only at risk of permanent death in a cutscene.
Squall taking a huge icicle through the chest would like to question this. But since he only speaks in ellipses, I'll have to do it on his behalf.

And Ravael, I specifically said the characters have no arcs. They all have backstories (some are even vaguely interesting), but if you aren't Cloud, Aerith, or Sephiroth, you don't get an arc. What changes for Tifa throughout the game? She's been big sister/kind of a love interest to Cloud, which makes her an interesting character, but once you've learned about their past together, boom, that's it. Nothing changes. Barrett is the same. We don't even get a backstory for Vincent Valentine. Yuffie is probably the closest we get to a side-story arc, which is hilarious considering she's optional loli fap material. Red XIII almost gets some kind of character arc but you could miss it if you blink. The only one who changes is Cait Sith, the double-robot double-agent, and his story is literally "I was totally spying on you guys but now I'm on your side LOL." To which every gamer with a functioning brainstem said, "Wait, you're still here?"

Let's contrast with the other game getting re-whatevered: FFXII. Vaan and Penelo are throwaway characters, can't dispute that, but Ashe, Balthier, Basche, and Fran all experience individual stories and change over the course of the game, even though the most interesting one (Fran) is rather brief and subtle. They're a lot of trope-tastic stories, of course, but there's actual growth and change.

When they *** up FFVII with this re-release, I hope they at least bother to let Tifa grab Cloud by the neck and shake him around for rebuffing her for years. And add a minigame where we have to repeatedly fire Cait Sith robots into the sun until we hit 1,000,000 points (1 point per death), at which point Aerith learns how to survive that silly cutscene papercut and we can have a useful character finish out the plot.

At the very least, have an ending. Even you folks wanting a graphical update and nothing else (why? I really don't get it) should agree that actually having an ending and resolution would be nice.

I'll start off by saying that the original translation of FFVII was a botchjob much like FFT which released around the same time. Any update would straighten out the problems associated with the lame translation.

Re: Arcs.

Barret's backstory is pretty clear. He grew up in Corel, was friends with Dyne, his wife died, SHINRA did him wrong after he supported building the reactor and then he lost his friend/arm/town to a Shinra attack. He blames himself for all of this. He takes up raising Marlene in turn.

His whole 'save the planet' thing is cover for the fact that Shinra took everything from him and he's bitter about it. Becoming an eco-terrorist via AVALANCHE turns out to be its own can of worms when he gets his gang killed when Shinra reacts by blowing the plate support in Sector 7. More blood on Barret's hands he thinks.

After Dyne shows back up to get killed, his motivations change to legitimately saving the planet and raising his daughter, finally realizing it's better to look at what you have than what you could have had.

And that all of those things weren't his fault, but Shinra being Shinra.
 Bismarck.Leneth
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Leneth 2015-07-14 16:31:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Now that the emotions have settled on this.
Does anyone know of a japanese remake (doesn't matter which media) which turned out good?
I can only think of Rebuild of Evangelion and it was bad. <.<;
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-07-14 16:35:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd say Star Ocean 1 and 2
[+]
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
user: Rooks
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2015-07-31 15:14:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Woohoo, they're already finding ways to crush our dreams:

Final Fantasy VII Remake bringing “dramatic changes” to combat
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-07-31 15:15:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Rooks said: »

good, didn't want to buy a PS4 anyway.
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-07-31 15:16:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I've got a great idea. Let's remake an immensely popular and beloved game with modern graphics, and CHANGE IT!!!
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-07-31 15:17:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Although to be fair, it worked for the Battlestar Galactica TV show.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-07-31 15:24:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Not really worried, as long as I can control each character's actions I'm good with it. Thats one of my many concerns regarding 15.
 Fenrir.Atheryn
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-07-31 15:26:27
Link | Quote | Reply

If anything, they're probably doing what they've done with recent FF titles by moving away from turn-based combat.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-07-31 15:29:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Like I said I just want to be able to tell each character what to do. I don't need them doing their own thing, I feel like the game is playing for me.
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-07-31 15:31:12
Link | Quote | Reply

it depends rly. Some times its nice, some times its a pain. I like turn based as well as free play. But free play i do like a certain amount of control; like in 12 when you had the gambit system. The ability to tell them to do certain things at certain times or under certain conditions.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-07-31 15:32:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I used the gambit system for cures, all of the DPS was up to me.
 Bismarck.Marmite
user: innit
By Bismarck.Marmite 2015-07-31 15:45:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Rooks said: »

YouTube Video Placeholder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eal4fep7pK4
By Draylo 2015-07-31 15:53:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ugh get ready for another ACTION RPG. Gonna be jumping 50 feet in the air to do aerial combo and ***, if they keep referencing Advent C. That's all I remember from it as far as combat.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-07-31 15:57:54
Link | Quote | Reply

You guys realize that even FFXII had atb system right? You just could move in 3d while doing it, and if desired apply gambit to the characters to put them on autopilot. But if you play it without gambit it's the same as any other FF before it, it was just a modern way to reimagine the usual atb battle mechanic.

FFXV is the one that's gonna be truely different as it's more similar to KH(sort of).

It's to see how FFVII will go, but surely you can expect 3d, non static battles
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-07-31 16:03:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Turn based combat doesn't really fit with PS4 graphics anyway
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-07-31 16:57:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm hoping for Tales style combat but it'll probably be more like Crisis Core.
 Asura.Velata
user: Viertel
By Asura.Velata 2015-07-31 17:28:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, that and I always understood it as she died because she willingly walked to her death as a sacrifice for Holy to work.

Could be wrong, as it's been over a decade since I played it, but that was what I took away from the scene at the time.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-07-31 21:37:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Velata said: »

Well, that and I always understood it as she died because she willingly walked to her death as a sacrifice for Holy to work.

Could be wrong, as it's been over a decade since I played it, but that was what I took away from the scene at the time.

It's SCRIPT (Suspension of Common Reality In Present Time). For a moment in time common reality was nullified and an alternate set of rules took place in which the results of that action was made possible. That suspension was only momentary and does not apply to any actions done in the past or future, even if they are in identical circumstances to the ones done in the present.

As for FFVII, it will likely suck and suck hard. Fanbois will go nuts and swear it's great and we "are just holding it wrong", they will die defending their favorite sports team. FF has been using the ATB system for a long time, it's a hybrid system. SE is likely attempting to capitalize on the Ritalin infused population who can't hold a thought for longer then 10 seconds, while trying to trick the older players to purchase it at full price.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-31 23:46:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
As for FFVII, it will likely suck and suck hard. Fanbois will go nuts and swear it's great and we "are just holding it wrong", they will die defending their favorite sports team. FF has been using the ATB system for a long time, it's a hybrid system. SE is likely attempting to capitalize on the Ritalin infused population who can't hold a thought for longer then 10 seconds, while trying to trick the older players to purchase it at full price.

I've been met with a lot of backlash for criticizing the FFVII version of the ATB. I was easily exploited and wasn't really necessary at that point in game history. That said, if they just redid the game with modern graphics, voice acting, and threw a few bug fixes, I'd be happy. Change the mini-games to a little more modern setup: sneaking past the guards, opening the reactor door, etc. But, don't go overboard trying to change the battle system significantly or crowbarring in a bunch of gratuitous fanboy easter eggs.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-08-01 00:11:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
But, don't go overboard trying to change the battle system significantly or crowbarring in a bunch of gratuitous fanboy easter eggs.

better not screw up my beloved w-item!
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-01 00:35:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
Odin.Jassik said: »
But, don't go overboard trying to change the battle system significantly or crowbarring in a bunch of gratuitous fanboy easter eggs.

better not screw up my beloved w-item!

Duping items, cheating the ATB gauge, glitching out chained materia... Those are all examples of bugs, not features.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-08-01 00:37:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Like I said I see no reason to worry, the combat system has been the only strength of the last few FF titles. Its something SE has always done well.
 Ragnarok.Hotkarl
Server: Ragnarok
user: hotkarl
By Ragnarok.Hotkarl 2015-08-01 01:06:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
Turn based combat doesn't really fit with PS4 graphics anyway
Turn based combat has nothing to do with a system or graphics... Its a style of gameplay that I would pay top dollar for. The demise of turn based rpg's is the reason I stopped buying console games and got sucked into mmo's. Now I don't Evan play those because for some unknown reason most mmo's can't grasp the job change system... I don't want *** 8 different characters dipshits!!. Anyhow, I'd gladly empty my wallet for Evan a mediocre turn based RPG on a console nowadays... Until then I'll just replay my old box full of classics. Graphics can be near damn real looking and I want that atb bar and my characters jumping across a plain attacking random encounter enemies.
[+]
By Draylo 2015-08-01 02:05:16
Link | Quote | Reply

People act like in order for a game to be good it has to be realistic as possible (in a fantasy game.. lol) and waiting to attack just isn't realistic. Don't mind the magical spells and 50 foot jumps though. I like it because its more strategic and about preparation and a little luck. Some people like the hack and slash with dodging, its just different types of game play not necessarily a wrong or right way.

The difference being the majority prefers the hack and slash, so of course they will try and produce that to maximize profits, its becoming commonplace. I kinda wonder why they didn't start out doing that instead of appealing to fans and making niche games all the time, now they did a complete turn around and are trying to please the brain dead masses, I guess they are hard up for cash.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 ... 23 24 25