Final Fantasy Grandmasters
First Page 2 3 4
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2015-06-09 19:42:12
Link | Quote | Reply

So the FFXI phone MMO is in beta now so I made a character. (Backpack)

It's fairly nostalgic, but clearly inferior in a lot of ways to XI --- no character model customization and it sends you straight to San d'Oria. But you get to fight alongside Curilla in Ronfaure so that's kinda cool.

It's slightly reminiscent of Record Keeper -- I haven't figured out the mechanics entirely but I'll put my impressions here as I progress.

You actually do play with other players - I entered a dungeon and got saved by other adventurers!
[+]
By Pantafernando 2015-06-09 19:45:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I want to try it but i dont feel like dealing with japanese texts. Sucks the gap between the global and japonese release should be at least half year.
By Draylo 2015-06-09 19:48:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Was it said they were planning a global release?
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2015-06-09 19:51:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »

No idea. I would guess so but the beta is JP onry.
By fillerbunny9 2015-06-09 20:01:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »

only for the Final Fantasy XI Mobile Project. Grandmasters was originally planned to be Japan only. if they decide to backtrack on that, time will tell.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2015-06-09 20:32:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Server *** up so can't continue in the story lol

As far as battle goes, up to 4 people can attack a monster group at a time and this forms a party -- everybody gets all drops and experience even if dead

The game play is pretty rapid, parties form spontaneously and end once the battle ends
[+]
By Yatenkou 2015-06-10 09:51:13
Link | Quote | Reply

They better not make it JP only, the moderator team already buttered everyone up on it.
[+]
By fillerbunny9 2015-06-10 15:03:04
Link | Quote | Reply

from the official forums post months ago:

2. FINAL FANTASY GRANDMASTERS: A New Online RPG for
Smartphones Set in the World of Vana'diel
FINAL FANTASY GRANDMASTERS is a full-scale online RPG for smartphones that shares the characters and world setting of FINAL FANTASY XI.
Players are able to freely combine their favorite jobs and dazzling equipment to create, strengthen, and power up their characters. Chat and communicate with those you meet, engage in real time cooperative battles, and make new friends as you vanquish foes and assist allies.

Keep your eye on this new generation of FINAL FANTASY scheduled for release in 2015, brought to you in all its glory in collaboration with Crooz Inc., creators of numerous smash hit social games such as The Knights of Avalon.
* At present, the game is scheduled for release in Japan only.
 Ragnarok.Hotkarl
Server: Ragnarok
user: hotkarl
By Ragnarok.Hotkarl 2015-06-10 15:30:00
Link | Quote | Reply

That's *** stupid, release that ***in US.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2015-06-10 16:05:49
Link | Quote | Reply

In short, it's exactly what you'd expect if FFXI was a mobile game. Which isn't a bad thing.
 Asura.Vinedrius
Server: Asura
user: Devrom
By Asura.Vinedrius 2015-06-11 02:23:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »
In short, it's exactly what you'd expect if FFXI was a mobile game. Which isn't a bad thing.

Grandmasters is more like a spin-off. The actual mobile reboot is what they call the native app. That one is supposed to be what we would expect if FFIX was a mobile game :)
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [124 days between previous and next post]
 Shiva.Zykei
Server: Shiva
user: Zykei
By Shiva.Zykei 2015-10-13 12:26:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Thought I'd bump this since the game got released last week.

Been playing it for a bit and have been massively enjoying it (since no one logs in anymore :()

So far the story takes you up to around mission 5 I think - just after you go through all 3 nations and then Jeuno.
NMs are complete lotto and the droprates are fairly low for anything worthwhile but it's weirdly enjoyable despite a complete grind at times.
Everything is completely gear based and plays fairly similar to the beta if you have played it back then.
You can use/cast/wear anything your main and subjob can use (cept for armor)
Also there's 5 servers(worlds) with 1000's of rooms so you won't have much issue of overcrowding and can camp NMs on your own (there's no lotting system so it doesn't matter really).

I guess I should note, it's completely japanese but I think it's fairly simple after some trial and error (I can read 80% of the japanese so I'm not sure how difficult it'd be lol) and there's /r/FFGM on reddit that's doing (I think) menu translations and stuff like that.
By Ackeron 2015-10-13 13:28:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Omg .... this .... looks .... AMAZING!

An ATB system?!
OMG! I WANT IT!!!!!!!!!!

HOW DO I GET THIS?!
 Shiva.Zykei
By Shiva.Zykei 2015-10-13 13:40:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I usually use QooApp to get around the region lockout.

You can get the app off their site (was removed from GooglePlay :|)
By Ackeron 2015-10-13 14:13:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I got it on my PC lets see how long till I hit a wall.

I may have no idea what these guys are saying but this is like a totally cute nostalgia trip.
 Bahamut.Vinedrius
Server: Bahamut
user: Devrom
By Bahamut.Vinedrius 2015-10-13 14:37:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I completed all main story quests and monk job quests released so far few days ago. For the most part, I watched Japanese players kill stuff with skills so overpowered compared to those of mine, despite having S rank and capped level weapons. There must be something I am missing to make my skills stronger. Leveling up weapons doesn't seem to help with that. Players seem to be helpful generally. Several times, I implied I needed help saying "Ghost 0/15", "Crab 3/15" etc. and got help with my mobs inbetween theirs.

Active skills come from weapons you equip. You equip one main weapon you use in battle and 4 side weapons for extra skills. Passive buffs come from armor you equip (such as accuracy+).

If you are expecting some sort of diversity in gameplay, you will be heavily disappointed. The whole game revolves around "kill x monster y amount of times" or "kill x NM"(who are complete lotto).

There are a few city areas, but there doesn't seem to do anything in them for now.
 Shiva.Zykei
By Shiva.Zykei 2015-10-13 15:04:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Vinedrius said: »
I completed all main story quests and monk job quests released so far few days ago. For the most part, I watched Japanese players kill stuff with skills so overpowered compared to those of mine, despite having S rank and capped level weapons. There must be something I am missing to make my skills stronger. Leveling up weapons doesn't seem to help with that.

The main ability for DDs to deal massive dmg is the stacking of berserk effects. They sorta nerfed this 2 days ago but still an effective way to kill the event monsters.
Berserk 3 is from an S rank Axe but Berserk 2 and 1 is still useful. Otherwise I'd suggest help buffing people by stacking Warcry (which also generates massive amounts of hate to help your party from taking excessive damage).
By Ackeron 2015-10-13 15:21:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm BLM, reliving my playing of FFXI.

Just hit Rank 3 and unlocked something. What is this?
[+]
 Shiva.Zykei
By Shiva.Zykei 2015-10-13 15:43:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Free stats essentially - I normally click the optimize button for that as you don't get any passives or abilities this way I believe.
By Ackeron 2015-10-13 15:49:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there some place I can get better armor? figure I should have something better then the starter gear by now but me no speak japanese.

Also Thanks.
 Shiva.Zykei
By Shiva.Zykei 2015-10-13 15:59:18
Link | Quote | Reply

The job quests provide basic armor but has some gear requirement to start them (they start low so you should be ok).
They're fairly simple B and A rank armor/weapon and the last 2 (requires 7500 and 10000 rating) provides you with S rank armor/weapon.

They get progressively harder so you may need to wait for some help or level up a bit.
The global chat will have people occasionally looking for help (usually the job name in kanji + the quest number). You can click on their icon and the bottom right option allows you to teleport to them (and join their quest).
By Ackeron 2015-10-13 16:09:35
Link | Quote | Reply

What does this NM(some japanese letters)UP mean on the quest description page? I'm guessing it means an NM has a chance to spawn and it drops the gear shown but I haven't seen anything.
 Shiva.Zykei
By Shiva.Zykei 2015-10-13 16:21:05
Link | Quote | Reply

NM Rate up for that region.

You should also have a passive gil/exp/droprate/NM rate up as a newbie bonus as well.
By Ackeron 2015-10-13 16:38:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Got cha. Thanks.

Am I supposed to be keeping my job level close to the enemies I'm killing? Cause I'm like Lv8 killing Lv18 things with a few close calls.
By Ackeron 2015-10-13 18:15:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Want Fire 2 and Blizzard 2! Is there a way to level up abilities on weapons?
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2015-10-13 18:19:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ill keep an eye out for you Ackeron. :) I just started today. level 10 WHM.
 Shiva.Zykei
By Shiva.Zykei 2015-10-13 18:45:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I think t2 spells starts appearing on B rank staves.
If you combine weapons/armors with the same skill and tier - they'll level up (usually stat/dmg increase).
 Asura.Karbuncle
Server: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2015-10-13 19:08:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Zykei said: »
I think t2 spells starts appearing on B rank staves.
If you combine weapons/armors with the same skill and tier - they'll level up (usually stat/dmg increase).

Thanks for the information. I've been just guessing my way through it all.. the Combining Weapons/Armor with same skill is going to help me because I have a few weapons with the same ability.

Is there a quicker way to exp that I'm not getting? I'm at level 16 and the enemies I'm targeting to kill are around 30 and I just can't defeat em, and it seems like I'd just be grinding like, 90exp a kill with 3.2k or so TNL. Its either living up to the oldschool hardcore Exping that is XI or I'm missing something obvious > _>

Either way, enjoying the game so far... just now grasping the basics of the "Free Stats" and such on the Rank-up thing posted above... and the skills being determined by the weapons equipped in your 4 weapon slots... Still a lot of skills I don't have any idea what they do lol.

I picked THF btw.
By Ackeron 2015-10-13 19:40:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel like I screwed up picking BLM. Also are their sub jobs and if so how do I unlock that?
 Shiva.Zykei
By Shiva.Zykei 2015-10-13 19:41:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Exp-wise, I don't think there's much alternative. Levels doesn't matter nearly as much as your gear so it's not like you HAVE to grind those levels in order to progress. However if you lacking in the equipment department, it'll be a lot tougher.

At the moment the best way to gain said gear is to either A) Gamble your money for S rank gear, B) Complete your job quests as they reward you with B/A/S ranked gear, C) Grind the events for S rank drops (Hardest difficulty has the best droprates), or D) Grind lotto NMs for S rank loot. Be sure to level your gear too!

But how will you grind events at low level?!
Well there isn't much choice but to leech the people who has started with better gear than you.
Best way to do this and not feel bad (lol) is to either obtain Sleep/Sleep2 for mages or obtain Warcry (C Rank GAxes - fairly common).

The game balance atm revolves around stacking up Berserk 4 times then attack for 40-80k damage. Warcry also stacks up with berserk so it makes sense. Mages should help with by sleeping the monster so DDs will live a little longer. Eitheway both of these abilities will generate so much hate on youm you're expected to die first. But aslong as the main DD gets his buffs up, they should be able to kill the NM within 2 turns.
First Page 2 3 4