Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-05-26 01:02:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Kalila said: »
Criticisms and suggestions are very welcome

They've been given time and time again by myself and numerous other individuals, and we've been more than reasonable in a majority of the posts. If you knew what happened behind the scenes, you may think differently than you do on some things.

The fact that we were all ignored isn't our problem.
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2015-05-26 01:02:51
Link | Quote | Reply

*sigh*
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2015-05-26 01:07:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I've never been a fan of the concealed dagger, and after being here for god-knows-how-long, I still have no concept of how the moderators act other than stopping the circle jerk arbitrarily in P&R.
By Jetackuu 2015-05-26 01:07:34
Link | Quote | Reply

*sigh*
Asura.Fondue said: »
Melodrama pls
VIP
By Kalila 2015-05-26 01:09:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure if you think you're trying to contribute, or trying to be involved in the drama.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-05-26 02:08:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I do want to say one thing, I'm not a moderator, but Nightfyre I do like how you present your criticisms, concerns, and suggestions.

You present your posts and responses in a way where you get the information you want to say out there without coming off as offensive or aggressive. You just simply say the facts, leaving emotion out if it, I guess you could say and I really love that.

Regardless of whether or not anyone thinks our current moderator team is qualified or not, I know that each of them is passionate and driven to make this community a better place.

Criticisms and suggestions are very welcome, FFXIAH has been with us for a very long time and I don't think anyone wants to see it go. I personally would rather see it done in a way like you presented, without drama and just discussing plain facts of what needs to be done.
PR as ***.
I don't mean anything offensive here but, that's a bad post. Never go full PR when the situation is unfavorable, especially when the situation at hand is objectively fishy and even more so when you clearly do not have all the pieces of the puzzle or, if you do, have rejected your objectivity.

I've been moderator for FFXI and FFXIV since 2008 on a huge website and I don't remember moderators ever being discredited or disrespected. Not a single time. And given my posts, it wouldn't be hard for it to happen, but no, they never did. Why? Because objectivity and proper policies are something fundamental. The moderator here clearly doesn't have proper policy and doesn't have a moderation line at all. This is the base when it comes to moderating. A lack of consistency is a straight proof that said line of moderation doesn't exist. It may be because there isn't a clear "leader" within the moderation, but it's also because people do not go the same way.
Being driven toward making things better and not caring about actually being efficient/making things better are contradictory feelings/points of view.

And also, I'm not quoting it directly but, if you think that being a moderator on such a forum isn't an experience worth putting on your CV, you either already have a 6 digits job or have no clue. Whichever, it is actually an experience worth mentioning on a CV for many reasons.

I'm neutral here as I have never had issues with mods, ever, but this thread alone removes a lot of credits from the moderation for the reasons mentioned above. I get the feeling that the mod team is literally CLG (a very famous LoL team), and that's not good.

I don't even remember people disrespecting my judgment when moderating on FFXIV OF, says a lot.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-05-26 02:13:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Going to send this to Scragg, but I'm interested to see what everyone in the community thinks about it too. Basically, instituting a three tiered system rather than the current two tiered one to spread out powers and responsibilities and make the atmosphere much more healthy; a system of checks and balances as it were.

Admins: All powers, site development, absolute moderation power, can appoint moderators and community representatives

Moderators: Moderation powers, contact with the Community Reps to deal with community concerns, direct contact with admins for general site issues and moderation issues, access to mod forums

Community Representatives: Self moderation powers, contact with the Mods and Admins to deal with community and moderation concerns/issues, access to mod forums

Users: Base user, no moderation powers, can contact Community Reps, Moderators, and Admins for concerns but all major concerns should go through the reps to ensure that they get dealt with properly.

This would put less power on the moderators themselves by introducing a new tier that could directly move in and help deal with community issues and keep moderators focused on the big picture. Dialogue between Admins, Moderators, and Reps would be more open, and as a result issues like moderation biases, premature bannings/tempbannings/abuses of power would be more easily fixed, and there would be far more eyes and direct contact with the community and the community's concerns, resulting in a more stable situation.
 Odin.Tamoa
Server: Odin
user: Tamoa
By Odin.Tamoa 2015-05-26 02:16:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Scragg said: »
My mods suggested bringing a new mod for the day time shift and I was fine with it on the conditions that all mods gave an unanimous yes. I spoke to each one individually about it and got some feedback.

No offense, but this confuses me greatly. Terraka registered on this site a month ago and has mainly been posting random stuff in the random thread. How can any of the other mods have formed a proper opinion of her in such a short time with such limited posts (and type of posts) to judge by?

I agree with those questioning the decision to make someone a forum mod after such a short period of being active on the forum. Having been a lurker for a long time means nothing.

Of course how the rest of us may feel about this makes no difference one way or another. But I really do think this was an odd decision.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2015-05-26 02:25:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
I was always partial to the Admin/Super Mod/Moderator dynamic. Mods took care of a section or category, and s. mods took care of the entire board.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-05-26 02:27:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I think we should riot! (ᕗ ಠ益ರೃ)ᕗ ┬━┬  
 (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ щ(ಠ益ಠщ) ┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ)
(╯°Д°)╯︵/(.□ . \) ┻━┻ ︵ \('0')/ ︵ ┻━┻
[+]
 Asura.Hoshiku
Server: Asura
user: Hoshiku
By Asura.Hoshiku 2015-05-26 02:29:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Tamoa said: »
My mods suggested bringing a new mod for the day time shift and I was fine with it on the conditions that all mods gave an unanimous yes. I spoke to each one individually about it and got some feedback.

No offense, but this confuses me greatly. Terraka registered on this site a month ago and has mainly been posting random stuff in the random thread. How can any of the other mods have formed a proper opinion of her in such a short time with such limited posts (and type of posts) to judge by?

I agree with those questioning the decision to make someone a forum mod after such a short period of being active on the forum. Having been a lurker for a long time means nothing.

Of course how the rest of us may feel about this makes no difference one way or another. But I really do think this was an odd decision.

Seems like maybe she is someone's girlfriend? From the sound of it there must be a lot of work that mods do and it has been piling up so they needed an extra person. My only concern with some of the mods here is that they are moderating a forum for a game they hate - which is kind of strange!
VIP
By Kalila 2015-05-26 02:32:47
Link | Quote | Reply

This forum is quite a bit more than just XI now. It use to be a lot more focused on XI but has branched out a little bit since then.

Also, I believe that two of the moderators do play XI.
 Odin.Tamoa
Server: Odin
user: Tamoa
By Odin.Tamoa 2015-05-26 02:36:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Hoshiku said: »
Odin.Tamoa said: »

Seems like maybe she is someone's girlfriend?

If that's the case, that's even worse.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2015-05-26 02:41:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I couldn't care less whose girlfriend is made mod, or administrator, or lord of the universe, as long as FFXIAH keeps getting updated, bugs solved, and we won't get anymore 1,5+ months of wait to see the DB being updated after a patch.

As long as that won't happen again, *** cares who is made mod, srsly.
If you guys want something to argue and whine about there's plenty of missing features on FFXIAH which would require minimal work to be finally implemented after months/years of people asking for them.
Whine for that please, instead of Mods.

Be that the case and I'll be joyfully joining the chorus.
 Asura.Hoshiku
user: Hoshiku
By Asura.Hoshiku 2015-05-26 02:41:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I realize there's more to this forum than XI but it concerns me that moderators on this forum have been so open in their hatred of the game. It seems like a strange bias for someone moderating a forum so heavily populated by former and current XI players.

Edit: Sechs, I think a lot of that falls on Scragg's shoulders and he sounds really busy. Unless mods here are responsible for a heck of a lot more than your average mod, that's wildly outside of their responsibilities.
 Valefor.Endoq
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-05-26 02:44:59
Link | Quote | Reply

if she turns out bias then nothing really changes...
if not then our site gets better...
i don't see what the big deal is, i only see potential for better moderation with this addition.
Welcome new mod person!
[+]
By Draylo 2015-05-26 02:58:43
Link | Quote | Reply

This forum is quite a bit more than just XI now. It use to be a lot more focused on XI but has branched out a little bit since then.

Also, I believe that two of the moderators do play XI.

Not really, you can tell because the activity on this site has died down a lot. I doubt it will be very active after NOV and there isn't much to it outside of FFXI.
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2015-05-26 03:01:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I think there will still be XI discussions though, everyone isn't just going to quit once the story is released. Maybe a significant portion of the population, but not everyone. Those people who are dedicated to XI are the same people who discuss XI.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-05-26 03:05:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe a significant portion of the population,
Isn't that the same Draylo is trying to say?
About "slowly dying"?
It's gonna be like a vicious cycle.
A lot of people are going to slowly quit.
The more people quit, the less interest in participating in discussions there will be.
Which will make community (as a whole, not just FFXIAH) less interesting, which in turn will eventually make even more people quit, and then back to the first point, rinse and Repeat.

Game isn't going to magically end all of a sudden in november, but I'm sure we're all aware (are we?) how things are slowly (or maybe faster than we think) going to go into a very specific direction.
You could argue they already are going in that direction, but clearly from december onwards the speed will likely increase.

But I dunno, this feels like tautology.
Is it useful discussing about it?
I'd rather spend my energies enjoying whatever is left to enjoy instead of pinpointing the exact moment when FFXI's heart will stop, so to say.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-05-26 03:09:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Edit: Sechs, I think a lot of that falls on Scragg's shoulders and he sounds really busy.
I understand that, and don't want to point fingers too much or get too emo at him.

At the same time though I don't want to ignore it.
Some of the things that have been asked would require more time/effort than it's reasonable to expend for FFXIAH at the current state. Sad but true.
Other things would be very easy to do instead.
And under no circumstance there is a valid excuse for going over 1,5 months with the DB not being updated with no official communication or post about it.

The time spent to answer to people who whine against a new mod or the time spent to approve it, could've been spent in approving a new dev-helper role.

I understand he's being protective about the code of the website and that he cannot trust just the first person who offers to help, I'd feel that way too probably if I were in his shoes.
But at the same time I have never seen him actively looking for someone and carefully selecting/picking a new helper who still has a lot of time to dedicate to the development of FFXIAH, just like Scragg used to do when he wasn't married, wasn't a father, didn't have a cool, well-paid and time consuming new job, and he was still a nerd with a lot of free time and very passionate about this game and the awesome tool he developed for it.
He had this passion that clearly isn't there anymore, and this too is very understandable.

What I don't understand is why he's kinda letting FFXIAH slowly dying as well, instead of watching his little child evolve and grow until the very last day of FFXI, like a proud parent would do.
[+]
 Asura.Ina
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2015-05-26 03:13:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tikal said: »
I was always partial to the Admin/Super Mod/Moderator dynamic. Mods took care of a section or category, and s. mods took care of the entire board.
I also like the idea but I don't see much changing on either end for it... I mean there have been people throwing fits because they get told they can't post pictures of people who may as well be naked for all their underwear covers.

People have grown used to relatively lax moderation, I'm still surprised it was a couple years before a mod indicated for me to cut back on some of the stuff I've posted. Frankly most of the complaining about mods I've seen seems to stem from when they finally step up and say "Sorry guys, you gotta cut back on the jiggling anime *** gifs in this thread". Granted I don't know what goes on in peoples pms with the mods so I can't comment on that, only whats posted publicly. Mods be lax >>> "Mods aren't doing their jobs", Mods start cracking down >>> "Mods are terrible". Adding an extra category would probably just shift around who is on the receiving end of complaints.

Perhaps someone will accuse me of brown nosing for this post but after making posts explaining how duck penises function I know any attempt to get in the mods good books would be a waste of time.
[+]
By Draylo 2015-05-26 03:13:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I realize there's more to this forum than XI but it concerns me that moderators on this forum have been so open in their hatred of the game. It seems like a strange bias for someone moderating a forum so heavily populated by former and current XI players.

Edit: Sechs, I think a lot of that falls on Scragg's shoulders and he sounds really busy. Unless mods here are responsible for a heck of a lot more than your average mod, that's wildly outside of their responsibilities.

Would probably explain why the same handful of trolls are allowed to keep posting their ***in all the threads w/o any consequences.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-05-26 03:16:03
Link | Quote | Reply

If certain users continually attack XI threads then yes, they should be banned from the XI forum section. That goes for any forum section, if a certain section is their target, then they should be removed from that section.
By Draylo 2015-05-26 03:17:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I think at this point any frequent poster knows who those people are. I know quite a few people who refrain from posting here for that reason, also a reason I don't as often anymore.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-05-26 03:21:02
Link | Quote | Reply

That's another reason why it should be implemented, poor moderation or poor banning methods for certain users will only push users away from this site even further.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-05-26 03:29:49
Link | Quote | Reply

@Sechs you need to understand as well that he may not legally be able to appoint more Admins at this time. Security is a major thing, and since the way the site is set up exposes passwords/emails to anyone with administrative/dev privileges (according to what Scragg posted earlier), it could very well be that he simply is not allowed to add more people to those privileges without dealing with the security issues first. I'm not a lawyer so I can't say for certain, but it is entirely a possibility.

In the meantime, you whining about people trying to make the community a better and more healthy place is serving no purpose other than selfish warbling.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2015-05-26 03:47:13
Link | Quote | Reply

warbling
I [+]'d you just for this.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-05-26 03:50:12
Link | Quote | Reply

@Sechs you need to understand as well that he may not legally be able to appoint more Admins at this time.
That's perfectly understandable but I don't think anybody was expecting/demanding that.
You don't need to be an admin to be able to develop small chunks of codes/updates to the FFXIAH site.
He could create a role with rights high enough to be doing that under his supervision, but at the same time remain the one and only administrator of the website.

Quote:
In the meantime, you whining about people trying to make the community a better and more healthy place is serving no purpose other than selfish warbling.
I wasn't talking about those people of course, if you re-read my posts, but more about those who whined because they wanted to whine and anything is fine as long as it gives you a reason to.

I just took a chance to give more visibility for issues that have been discussed for months without ever receiving a single post from Scragg or others meaningful posters.
I don't see how you could call that selfish, how does that create a personal benefit for me?
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-05-26 04:04:58
Link | Quote | Reply

there is a reason some of us don't even go into nazi germany RT anymore and it reflects whats wrong with this site in it's entirety good luck bunny mod
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 10 11 12