Madison Bans Discrimination Against Atheists

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Madison bans discrimination against atheists
Madison bans discrimination against atheists
First Page 2 ... 8 9 10
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-05-03 16:18:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Madison bans discrimination against atheists, non-religious

MADISON, Wis. — While conservatives in Indiana and Arkansas were explaining last month why their new religious objections laws weren't invitations to discriminate against gays, the leaders of Wisconsin's capital city were busy protecting the rights of another group: atheists.

In what is believed to be the first statute of its kind in the United States, Madison banned discrimination against the non-religious on April 1, giving them the same protections afforded to people based on their race, sexual orientation and religion, among other reasons.

It's hardly surprising that such a statute would originate in Madison, an island of liberalism in a conservative-leaning state and the home of the Freedom from Religion Foundation. But the ordinance's author, Anita Weier, said it didn't arise from an actual complaint about alleged discrimination based on a lack of religious faith.

"It just seems to me that religion has spread into government more than I feel comfortable with," said Weier, who left the council after the statute passed. "It just occurred to me that religion was protected, so non-religion should be, too."

She said it also had nothing to do with what was happening in Indiana and Arkansas, which rolled back their religious objections laws amid heavy criticism that they were meant to give legal cover to people who cite religious reasons for discriminating against gays.

Although there was no dissent when the City Council passed its new statute, some question the need to protect non-believers in liberal Madison from discrimination in the areas of housing, employment and services. Among them is Julaine Appling, the president of Wisconsin Family Action.

"I don't understand why they would add this to that litany of protections in Madison, of all places," she said. "I thought this was an April Fools' joke."

If any minority group deserves further protections in Madison, which embraces its unofficial motto of "77 square miles surrounded by reality," it's conservative groups like hers, said Appling. For example, she pointed to the City Council's attempts last year to create buffer zones to keep protesters away from abortion clinics, which the U.S. Supreme Court later deemed unconstitutional in a Massachusetts case.

Zach Brandon, president of the Madison Chamber of Commerce, said he hasn't heard city business owners express concern about the ordinance, but that's likely because it "doesn't really do anything."

Brandon said expanding the equal opportunities ordinance to include more protected categories could make it obsolete.

Atheists and other non-believers, though, say the statute marks an important step forward for those who aren't religious.

"I think Madison is way ahead of the curve," said Todd Stiefel, the president of Openly Secular, which helps non-religious people become open about their absence of faith.

Stiefel said people who tell their employers or family members that they are not religious face rejection and harassment. He said he's heard from atheists who were fired the day after sharing their non-religious views with their employers or disinherited by their parents after opening up about their lack of faith.

"It boils down to the misinformation and prejudice that gets passed down generation to generation. People have been raised being told that atheists are evil and they eat babies and they can't be trusted." Said Stiefel, adding that he thinks it will be quite a while before another city follows Madison's lead.

Patrick Elliott, a Freedom From Religion Foundation attorney, said the city that's also home to the University of Wisconsin has recently seen an increase in religiously-owned rental housing. While it had not yet created a conflict, the foundation wants to be sure there could be no discrimination, he said.

"Whether someone could have brought a case, we don't know," Elliott said. "It seemed that way, but we didn't have any precedent to support that."

Even though her ordinance passed without objection, Weier said her fellow council members seemed reluctant to embrace her idea or connect their name to it. She also said timing played a large role in her decision to propose the ordinance.

"If I'd been running again, I don't think I would have brought it forward," Weier said. "I think there's discrimination against atheists."

source
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-05-03 16:20:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Although there was no dissent when the City Council passed its new statute, some question the need to protect non-believers in liberal Madison from discrimination in the areas of housing, employment and services. Among them is Julaine Appling, the president of Wisconsin Family Action.

"I don't understand why they would add this to that litany of protections in Madison, of all places," she said. "I thought this was an April Fools' joke."

[insert any group in this country]
Am i the only one that questions this persons 'logic'?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-05-03 16:25:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Meanwhile, Christians complain about encroaching oppression.

And I eat some popcorn. Shall I grab my violin?
[+]
By fonewear 2015-05-03 16:27:17
Link | Quote | Reply

My feels don't know how to feel !
[+]
By fonewear 2015-05-03 16:28:02
Link | Quote | Reply

In before History lesson about Bible/Christianity from Atheists !

The armchair religion scholars will come out of the woodwork.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-05-03 16:34:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Implying being atheist means you know nothing about religious text.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-05-03 16:35:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »

Ladies and gentlemen an armchair expert ! Teach me and I too shall learn.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-05-03 16:39:21
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »

Ladies and gentlemen an armchair expert ! Teach me and I too shall learn.

Hardly an expert but I know enough to maintain my position. The position that the Christians whining about being oppressed are fools who know nothing of oppression.

When your idea of oppression is two gay guys kissing or being unable to shove God up everyones orafice, you've ***the bed. Get back to practicing your religion rather than violating church/state separations.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-05-03 16:41:31
Link | Quote | Reply

So only an Atheist can be oppressed...interesting. As a white male I feel oppressed often I don't write articles about it though...

This is going to turn into a feels thread I know it.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-05-03 16:48:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Loving that train of thought there. Not exactly where you pulled that from but hey, it's a free country right?

Christianity ain't the only show in town. Believe what you want but stop trying to shove Christ where he don't belong. In government. Get back to me when atheists are trying to ban religion and ill be the first non believing damned soul marching for Jesus.

Till then, the idea that Christians are being oppressed deserves laughter. Put the hooch down. Stop staring at gay people, atheists, buddhist monks or whatever offends Christian sensibilities this century. Live your life.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
user: ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2015-05-03 17:17:37
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
reminded me of this lol. Not sure what to say about religion though.It is a rough area to talk about. Not sure if god is real or fake but I do find it rude people that preach to others god is real bla bla bla... god is fake bla bla bla.... I say treat people the way you want to be treated and do what you can to help out others and rest of humanity.
By fonewear 2015-05-03 17:24:54
Link | Quote | Reply

But there can be only one true non religion and that is Atheism ! Join the non believers. We just ask you do non believe what we non believe.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-03 17:29:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
Quote:

[insert any group in this country]
Am i the only one that questions this persons 'logic'?
It's an MSN article, of course you are going to get skewed, limited reporting only done to appease the liberal front.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-05-03 17:33:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I found the guy that wrote the article:

[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-05-03 17:40:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Are liberals a protected class now?
[+]
By fonewear 2015-05-03 17:41:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Are liberals a protected class now?

Of course the most offended people in the world.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-05-03 17:47:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Sadly this video is true:

[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2015-05-03 18:11:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Loving that train of thought there. Not exactly where you pulled that from but hey, it's a free country right?

Christianity ain't the only show in town. Believe what you want but stop trying to shove Christ where he don't belong. In government. Get back to me when atheists are trying to ban religion and ill be the first non believing damned soul marching for Jesus.

Till then, the idea that Christians are being oppressed deserves laughter. Put the hooch down. Stop staring at gay people, atheists, buddhist monks or whatever offends Christian sensibilities this century. Live your life.
We still haven't had an openly non-Christian in the White House, yet. Sure, we can accuse different presidents of being of different religions, but the only way that anyone can make any strides is by claiming they're god fearing. We still have god in our pledge of allegiance, which is recited in public education. Separation of church and state is a pipe dream at best. According to a study done by the Pew Research Center back in July, Atheists are the second least liked religious (or anti-religious) group in the country. Oppressed? I'd say so, yeah.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-05-03 18:18:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Magnuss said: »

We still haven't had an openly non-Christian in the White House, yet. Sure, we can accuse different presidents of being of different religions, but the only way that anyone can make any strides is by claiming they're god fearing. We still have god in our pledge of allegiance, which is recited in public education. Separation of church and state is a pipe dream at best. According to a study done by the Pew Research Center back in July, Atheists are the second least liked religious (or anti-religious) group in the country. Oppressed? I'd say so, yeah.
America isn't alone in religious issues, we have a Prime Minister who still believes the UK is a Christian nation.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-05-03 18:23:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I like how we only have about 4% who go to church (holidays mostly) and 2% on a weekly basis

Can't say I've ever heard anyone ask a politician if he or she is religious here or one being called out for not being religious.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-05-03 18:26:40
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-05-03 19:02:42
Link | Quote | Reply

do you ever have anything relevant to say fone?
[+]
By fonewear 2015-05-03 19:33:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
do you ever have anything relevant to say fone?

It's the internet everything is relevant !
[+]
By Yatenkou 2015-05-03 20:06:26
Link | Quote | Reply

least liked because the vocal atheists make the whole group look like a bunch of *** douchebags. Ever think of that?
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-05-03 20:19:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Meanwhile, vocal Christians continue to endear themselves to everyone.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2015-05-03 20:23:18
Link | Quote | Reply

You've got extremists on both sides, really.

Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-05-03 20:52:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tidis said: »

America isn't alone in religious issues, we have a Prime Minister who still believes the UK is a Christian nation.

The UK also had several state religions, whereas America was founded and built in opposition to government having ANY formal relationship with religious establishments. Put simply, a case could be made for at least England being a Christian nation at many points in history, America's supposed to be exactly not that.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-05-03 21:41:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Yatenkou said: »

least liked because the vocal atheists make the whole group look like a bunch of *** douchebags. Ever think of that?

isnt that the case for every group tho in some fashion? christians, muslims, white, black, male, women.. pretty much every group has there vocal ppl that seem like
Yatenkou said: »
*** douchebags
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-05-03 21:58:42
Link | Quote | Reply

So basically people just need to shut up? I can't say I disagree with that.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-05-03 22:00:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
So basically people just need to shut up? I can't say I disagree with that.

People can talk about whatever they and the people they converse with would like, but in the context of legislation, religion or the absence of it, needs to be left at the door, period.
[+]
First Page 2 ... 8 9 10