"One Hit Wonder" Games You Wish Spawned A Series

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » "One hit wonder" games you wish spawned a series
"One hit wonder" games you wish spawned a series
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2015-04-22 19:24:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Kingmancat said: »

Looks more like Wild Arms lol.

Siren.Dilandu said: »

Shining Force series is excellent. If you haven't played Shining Force III should check it out.
I remember playing Shining Force when I was like 10 on my friend's Sega Channel and just loved it. I liked Shining Force 2 way better, but I'd say both 1 and 2 really got me into video games(even though I already was) and more specifically RPG's. I never did play 3 so I'll have to look into that.

Asura.Velata said: »
Faxanadu (NES)

A lot of people hate this one, but I liked it.
I actually liked this game. And just the other day, I was looking through this case I have of NES games, and found I had a complete copy of Faxandu in like mint condition. Shame it's not worth anything.
[+]
By Darkalenia 2015-04-22 19:56:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Scarmiglione said: »
And just the other day, I was looking through this case I have of NES games, and found I had a complete copy of Faxandu in like mint condition. Shame it's not worth anything.

I did the same thing, only about a month ago!
[+]
 Sylph.Kawar
Server: Sylph
user: Kawar
By Sylph.Kawar 2015-04-22 20:16:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Dantes Inferno
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-04-22 23:24:10
Link | Quote | Reply

This was such an amazing game... would be hard to make a sequel though. A prequel would be best.
[+]
 Asura.Reichleiu
Server: Asura
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2015-04-24 13:26:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Endoq said: »

This was such an amazing game... would be hard to make a sequel though. A prequel would be best.

Was this really that good? I didn't hear favorable reviews so I didn't pick it up. (I have way too many games to play)

But if it is actually a good game maybe I should look into it again.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-24 13:45:27
Link | Quote | Reply

From what I read about Dust, one guy poured alot of time into making the game which is why it feels rushed at the end but boy does the game show its love. Definitely cosigning on the game being fluid, the battling is fun and very reminiscent of Muramasa: The Demon Blades.

Furryisms aside, it's a great game for what it is.
[+]
By Darkvlade 2015-04-24 14:18:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Brave Fencer Musashi for PS1, amazing game at that time, hard to find a copy as well nowadays.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
Server: Seraph
user: Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-24 14:25:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
From what I read about Dust, one guy poured alot of time into making the game which is why it feels rushed at the end but boy does the game show its love. Definitely cosigning on the game being fluid, the battling is fun and very reminiscent of Muramasa: The Demon Blades.

Furryisms aside, it's a great game for what it is.

Not familiar with it at all, but if it's Furry-associated in ANY way I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a lot of hate from people just because, well, apparently after years of being ridiculed themselves, no one knows how to tear down people who are "different" like the geek community.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Rezeak
Server: Ragnarok
user: Rezeak
By Ragnarok.Rezeak 2015-04-24 14:29:33
Link | Quote | Reply

This
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-24 14:32:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, we get it, everyone loved LOTD/TLOD/LOD/however you want to interpret their poor title design.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-04-24 14:39:11
Link | Quote | Reply

It's apparently "The Legend of Dragoon" (just Legend of Dragoon in Japanese)
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-24 14:44:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
It's apparently "The Legend of Dragoon" (just Legend of Dragoon in Japanese)

Yeah, I always just thought "Legend of Dragoon", but someone tried to correct otherwise earlier in the thread.

*shrug*

Less JRPG nostalgia, MORE PUKING SQUIRRELS SHOOTING AT ESCAPED PRISONERS.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-24 14:51:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Ehrgeiz: God Bless The Ring
The Bouncer

lul
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-04-24 14:55:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually enjoyed The Bouncer lol, but I was also 13
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-24 14:55:55
Link | Quote | Reply

The game was one giant glorified demo for the PS2. My cousins were pissed when we beat the game in a single sitting.
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2015-04-24 15:05:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I dunno that you'd call it a "hit", but a really good under the radar PS3 game: Folklore (aka FolksSoul in Japan), by the sadly defunct Game Republic. Folklore focused on Irish/Celtic mythology, so could have made for a fantastic series focusing on different cultures in sequels. Apparently Sony almost did approve a sequel on PSP or as a downloadable PS3 game, but it barely failed to get green lit based on the lackluster sales of the original.

I hesitate to say it because in reality I bet a sequel would have turned out terrible, but more Eternal Darkness that was as good as the original game would have been great.

Noticed a lot of people mentioned Lost Odyssey, and I LOVE the game but really think it's perfect as-is and series would almost just dilute that perfection.

CapnCrass said: »
I'm a bit surprised to see so many people with fond memories of Skies of Arcadia and (especially) Legend of Dragoon. SoA wasn't a bad title, but it fell squarely in the "forgettable also-ran" category. Legend of Dragoon, on the other hand, bordered on terrible. The combat mechanics weren't bad, but the heavy-handed linearity and the Wal-Mart High Fantasy® brand characters were atrocious. Don't even get me started on Edgy Goth Chick's transformation animation or the eleventy-bazillion stage final boss...

This guy knows what's up.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-24 15:09:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Of the two Legend games, I prefer Legaia to Dragoon.

I almost want to ignore Duel Saga all together.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-24 15:20:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
but more Eternal Darkness that was as good as the original game would have been great.

What is Eternal Darkness? I've not looked deeply into it (I could, obviously, but want player feedback). I've heard it has Lovecraftian themes to it. Is this true?
 Phoenix.Capuchin
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2015-04-24 16:05:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Ramyrez said: »
Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
but more Eternal Darkness that was as good as the original game would have been great.

What is Eternal Darkness? I've not looked deeply into it (I could, obviously, but want player feedback). I've heard it has Lovecraftian themes to it. Is this true?

VERY Lovecraftian, yes. I won't spoil too much but as a fan this is by far the best mythos-inspired video game I've ever played. Uttering the ancient words to cast spells is a really cool mechanic too, that fits oh so perfectly with the Lovecraft themes.

It's a third person action/adventure game, with sort of a less clunky "survival-horror" kind of control. Smoother than something like the Playstation Resident Evils. There's some action, but it's not an over the top twitch-style game.

The story setup is pretty clever too, it's structured with a single sort of hub-like present day area that moves the story along and leads you into many different chapters where you go to past generations and settings.

Might be my favorite game on the Gamecube, it's totally worth checking out and is the reason a lot of people clamored for a sequel for so long and held out hope that Silicon Knights and/or their head guy (Dennis Dyack) would make a sequel or spiritual sequel. Too Human on 360 was pretty badly received though, and a failed Kickstarter a couple years back seems to signify that dream may be dead.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-24 16:08:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Gamecube game, huh? Might have to see if I can snag a used copy somewhere and dust off the ol' box.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Hotkarl
Server: Ragnarok
user: hotkarl
By Ragnarok.Hotkarl 2015-04-24 17:28:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Metal saga on ps2.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Wulfie
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Wulfie 2015-04-24 18:04:23
Link | Quote | Reply

A couple more :)

Bucky O'Hare

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker

Giga Wing(stopped at 2. Generations on the PS2 was terribad)

Plasma Sword
 Shiva.Eboneezer
Server: Shiva
user: Eboneezer
By Shiva.Eboneezer 2015-04-24 18:22:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Gitaroo Man (PS2)

Landstalker (Sega)
[+]
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2015-04-24 18:30:24
Link | Quote | Reply

What are you talking about? Legaia 2 was great! The soundtrack was amazing with Sakimoto and Matsuda both working on it. The combat was much better, and there was a ***ton of extra stuff to do in the game. I don't understand why it gets a bad rap. In fact, I've been considering replaying it soon as I haven't played it in years.
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2015-04-24 18:34:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Eboneezer said: »
Landstalker (Sega)

I second that. Awesome game with great music.
 Siren.Dilandu
Server: Siren
user: Dilandu
By Siren.Dilandu 2015-04-24 19:18:51
Link | Quote | Reply

What are you talking about? Legaia 2 was great! The soundtrack was amazing with Sakimoto and Matsuda both working on it. The combat was much better, and there was a ***ton of extra stuff to do in the game. I don't understand why it gets a bad rap. In fact, I've been considering replaying it soon as I haven't played it in years.

Loved the game other than the dub was *** terrible. Also *** that rice planting mini game.

Shiva.Eboneezer said: »
Landstalker (Sega)

I second that. Awesome game with great music.
Great game, adding this to my list of games to play.
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2015-04-24 19:21:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Dilandu said: »
Also *** that rice planting mini game.

I remember trying a million times to beat that, but I don't remember if I ever did. Probably not lol.
 Phoenix.Yusshiryushi
user: yusshi
By Phoenix.Yusshiryushi 2015-04-24 19:35:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Ramyrez said: »
Gamecube game, huh? Might have to see if I can snag a used copy somewhere and dust off the ol' box.
It's worth it!! ;)
 Carbuncle.Bukadan
user: bukasmith
By Carbuncle.Bukadan 2015-04-24 21:03:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Rezeak said: »

This

this