San Antonio Chef Ticketed 2k For Feeding Homeless

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » San Antonio chef ticketed 2k for feeding homeless
San Antonio chef ticketed 2k for feeding homeless
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Bahamut.Juliointexas
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
By Bahamut.Juliointexas 2015-04-17 17:29:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Chyretta said: »
So laws are laws and we should follow all them no manner what? you are the meaning of the word sheep! So if they passed a law saying that you had to make over 100k a year to stay in America and those who did not would be deported, would you say its ok hey cause its the law? I doubt you would cause most likely it would affect you and your family, or what if even worse they passed a law putting people to death who did not meet a certain income requirement of 100k a year Just cause something is a dam law does not make it right! There was laws in the past that made it possible for genocides to happen in the world, your a sheep if I ever saw one!
Phoenix.Bahtbaht said: »
Guys I think what people are really missing here is one thing.

It's -always- about the MONEY.

Have the license already, good cause you already paid us money.
Use the wrong truck without a license, here's a fine for more money.
Which government/state/city/township bureaucracy DIDN'T get "their" money.

It's not about safety or liability or any of those things, it's about who or what didn't get their cut.

I don't disagree with anything either of you are saying either, I just made a point of a law nothing more. Yes, there has been laws of stupendious things in history and as we speak now, like I said I never condoned her for it, just stated of laws or so called "bureaucracy" that is in place, and no as you state Chyretta, just because its a law we should agree to it. God knows there are far many laws where I personally don't agree to as well. All I mearly stated it is a law and I personally don't agree to it, but until its changed or ammended, it's there. I'm not naive either like I said I agree in part that they shouldn't have fined her for it, she was doing the community good, but laws are laws, I or you may not like it, but have to live with them til its changed, for the good or bad as with any laws that govern us.
By Chyretta 2015-04-17 18:06:27
Link | Quote | Reply

The more laws you have the less free you are. If there are 100 laws to follow just in order to build a house on my own land that I worked hard for how free are you really? Freedom is just a loose term to promote political ideas but now its just an idea it no longer exist the sooner we realize that the better off we will be cause then maybe we will fight to get it back

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Juliointexas
By Bahamut.Juliointexas 2015-04-17 21:24:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Candlejack said: »
The more laws you have the less free you are. If there are 100 laws to follow just in order to build a house on my own land that I worked hard for how free are you really? Freedom is just a loose term to promote political ideas but now its just an idea it no longer exist the sooner we realize that the better off we will be cause then maybe we will fight to get it back
Ok then, when your hypothetical house burns to the ground with yourself and your family inside, remember it could've probably easily been prevented had the house been built with the proper permits, up to building and fire safety inspections codes, and in compliance with all laws governing planning and zoning of buildings. Literally, if you're that willing to die, who am I to stand in your way? I might as well provide you with a knife to slit your own throat with right now, as nothing I or anyone else can or could say will change your mind.

BECAUSE there's laws governing product safety, I can sleep peacefully at night knowing the hot water heater in my basement won't kill me in my sleep by backfiring carbon monoxide fumes into the house.
BECAUSE there's laws governing how and where houses and buildings can be built, and to which purpose, I can walk into my house or a grocery store, safe in the knowledge the roof more than likely won't cave in and kill me.
BECAUSE there's laws governing food service and safety, I can go out to eat, or purchase food at a grocery store, take it home or sit down in a restaurant and eat there, safe in the knowledge that what I'm eating or drinking more than likely won't make me deathly ill.

So go ahead, Chyretta. Keep spouting off at the mouth. I suspect you're actually that Ryanx guy that's so against vaccinations that he can't argue his point beyond "it's bad because a celebrity says it's bad".

So your saying lets go back to the 1800's when gunslinging and the wild west was the thing or that was freedom then? If your talking about that kind of freedom, no thanks... Back to point, sure maybe that will happen at some point but i don't know if that will be in our lifetime tbh, considering all the craziness now in this world, then again maybe its not so far off.

And to the 2nd post I couldn't agree more, I sleep soundly knowing there are some laws in place for reasons stated on the 2nd post.
 Asura.Ivlilla
Server: Asura
user: cevkiv
By Asura.Ivlilla 2015-04-17 22:03:40
Link | Quote | Reply

The purpose of the law is not to arbitrarily constrain us and limit our freedom, but to protect our freedom my limiting the freedom of others to limit our freedom.

Unfortunately, that's often lost, both in practice and in most people's mind.
By Jetackuu 2015-04-17 22:05:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Juliointexas said: »
Ok then, when your hypothetical house burns to the ground with yourself and your family inside, remember it could've probably easily been prevented had the house been built with the proper permits, up to building and fire safety inspections codes, and in compliance with all laws governing planning and zoning of buildings. Literally, if you're that willing to die, who am I to stand in your way? I might as well provide you with a knife to slit your own throat with right now, as nothing I or anyone else can or could say will change your mind.

BECAUSE there's laws governing product safety, I can sleep peacefully at night knowing the hot water heater in my basement won't kill me in my sleep by backfiring carbon monoxide fumes into the house.
BECAUSE there's laws governing how and where houses and buildings can be built, and to which purpose, I can walk into my house or a grocery store, safe in the knowledge the roof more than likely won't cave in and kill me.
BECAUSE there's laws governing food service and safety, I can go out to eat, or purchase food at a grocery store, take it home or sit down in a restaurant and eat there, safe in the knowledge that what I'm eating or drinking more than likely won't make me deathly ill.

So go ahead, Chyretta. Keep spouting off at the mouth. I suspect you're actually that Ryanx guy that's so against vaccinations that he can't argue his point beyond "it's bad because a celebrity says it's bad".

So your saying lets go back to the 1800's when gunslinging and the wild west was the thing or that was freedom then? If your talking about that kind of freedom, no thanks... Back to point, sure maybe that will happen at some point but i don't know if that will be in our lifetime tbh, considering all the craziness now in this world, then again maybe its not so far off.

And to the 2nd post I couldn't agree more, I sleep soundly knowing there are some laws in place for reasons stated on the 2nd post.
You do realize the "wild west" is basically a myth, right?
By Bloodrose 2015-04-17 22:32:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Bahamut.Juliointexas said: »

You do realize the "wild west" is basically a myth, right?
That was probably the joke - he used the misconception as to how "wild" the west really was.

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Juliointexas
By Bahamut.Juliointexas 2015-04-18 12:04:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes it was a joke but in reality, yes the 1800's was alot worse than today heck even 100 years ago was alot worse than today. Again times were simpler back then, things wern't around back then, but one thing that has been around even that far back is laws. So the point is Chyretta, no matter what, freedom will always be limited or constricted in some form or fashion by laws, rules, and/or dictation limiting those freedoms.

So in the end we have to learn to live with them as they evolve and change over time. It was done back then, and it will continue to now and in the future.
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-04-18 12:38:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
You can challenge unjust laws in court, but you still have to abide by them until they are overturned, lest you risk getting caught and penalized.
In the US you cannot challenge laws unless a judge decides you have standing.

This also varies by which type of law you are challenging: local, state, federal (even varies if it is an executive order or passed via legislation).

The easiest way to show this is by breaking the law (injury-in-fact and causation), getting caught, and then challenging it in court.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-18 13:13:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried to fight the law, but the law won.
[+]
 Sylph.Kawar
Server: Sylph
user: Kawar
By Sylph.Kawar 2015-04-18 13:53:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
A few might remember the incident a while back in flordia where the elderly priest was arrested for feeding the homeless. Well it looks like the idea is spreading.

Quote:
Chef Joan Cheever serves high quality, healthy meals to the homeless people of San Antonio, Texas out of her food truck each week, a project she started in 2005. Though she's been running the "Chow Train" for years, local police recently slammed Cheever with a ticket carrying a fine of up to $2,000 because she brought prepared meals to the feeding location in a pick-up truck, take-out style:

As the court date to contest the ticket approaches, Cheever is considering mounting a religious freedom defense, citing laws very similar to the RFRA, which caused so much controversy in Indiana this spring. "This is how I pray," she says, "when I cook this food and deliver it to the people who are less fortunate."

In the meantime, Cheever will continue to serve weekly meals in spite of the ticket. -Bonnie Kristian

Source
please tell me this is bull ***. there is nothing wrong with feeding the homeless.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-18 13:59:10
Link | Quote | Reply

The real question is, if some hobo got food poisoning from this lady, could they sue her and lift themselves out of poverty?
By Bloodrose 2015-04-18 14:01:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Sure, if they didn't die, or become unable to present a case due to hospitalization from said food poisoning.

Also, it wasn't the fact that she was feeding the homeless, but how she did it illegally from her private vehicle, rather than her food truck, like she had been doing for the past number of years.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-18 14:02:56
Link | Quote | Reply

You think the cops were envious after all those years and couldn't wait for her to mess up?

Now if she gave the cop(s) that fined her a hot meal, maybe this all could have been avoided...
By Bloodrose 2015-04-18 14:05:39
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a possibility, but one would have to be extremely jaded to think this was the first possibility.

Maybe they just had a ticket/fine quota to meet, and breaking the law she got them to meet their quota?

Of course, they had no problem with her handing out food from her food truck, which was parked in a legal zone, serving charitable food donations legally, etc.
By Chyretta 2015-04-18 14:39:00
Link | Quote | Reply

No i did not say anything since my last post cause I actually work a JOB not that you mama boys living in your moms basement would know anything about! Yea keep taking up for stupid laws and abiding by them just cause they laws, you people make me sick to my stomach, iam go puke now in honor of how stupid you sheep really are.
 Odin.Minefield
Server: Odin
user: Minefield
By Odin.Minefield 2015-04-18 14:40:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I love you.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-04-18 15:26:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
The real question is, if some hobo got food poisoning from this lady, could they sue her and lift themselves out of poverty?

I may be wrong but hobo's prefer Bush's Baked Beans !
By Bloodrose 2015-04-18 16:30:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh no, he used the job card! Like people can't post from their office or cubicle desk jobs, or randomly from their phone.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-04-18 16:54:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
You think the cops were envious after all those years and couldn't wait for her to mess up?
I doubt envy plays into this, but I am almost certain we're not getting the full story. I've met a lot of power-tripping douchebag cops (the kind who'll never rise above the level of a beat cop and who carry a mountain of resentment about their own mediocrity) and I still cannot see any of them rushing out to hassle someone feeding the homeless, regardless of whether it breaks some idiot statute or another.

What I can see is a rich/influential busybody who doesn't like those filthy homeless people congregating and surviving another day near his home/church/business/whatever having a talk with the mayor who has a talk with the police chief, etc.
 Bahamut.Juliointexas
By Bahamut.Juliointexas 2015-04-18 17:47:29
Link | Quote | Reply

No i did not say anything since my last post cause I actually work a JOB not that you mama boys living in your moms basement would know anything about! Yea keep taking up for stupid laws and abiding by them just cause they laws, you people make me sick to my stomach, iam go puke now in honor of how stupid you sheep really are.

Ok smartass answer this, what is your so-called "freedoms and laws" in your perfect world since you think laws are stupid to begin with? I'll tell you this even in your perfect lawless world even yourself would have rules or laws to abide by, so quit throwing all this BS out here that we are sheep here and know nothing or are too stupid, and perceiving everyone posting here as "mamas boys living in your moms basement" here when you have no clue if some are female or not at least this is how I am perceiving this as from your own mouth. In my case My mom isn't alive anymore so thats one person not in "moms basement" just so you know. Now you can go puke elsewhere.
By fonewear 2015-04-18 18:00:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Remember when this thread was good...me either !
[+]
By fonewear 2015-04-18 18:02:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh no, he used the job card! Like people can't post from their office or cubicle desk jobs, or randomly from their phone.

What if I told you posting on FFXIAH...was my job !
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-04-18 19:03:42
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
What if I told you posting on FFXIAH...was my job !
Fone, somehow I would believe you.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-04-18 19:05:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually haven't been posting as much as usual.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-20 12:08:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Can't believe I missed the fun.

But the real reason why she was ticketed was addressed, so move along, nothing to see here. Just media profiting from the feels of idiots who cannot think themselves out of a box.

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-22 11:12:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Whelp, I looked into the health codes aspect of why she could've gotten in trouble. Lookie what I found:
Your text to link here...
Quote:
Specific requirements by type of operation

Foot Peddler: Individuals selling pre-packaged, non-potentially hazardous foods and drinks on foot. Foot peddlers vending whole, farm fresh products are no longer required to obtain a foot peddlers permit.

Simple Sno-cone – Individuals selling sno-cones from a vehicle or pushcart where the ice and syrups are purchased from an approved, licensed food operation and the individual puts the two items together in their unit. No grinding of ice or reconstituting of syrups is allowed. The requirements for the unit are listed below.

Unit is a truck with a cover over the back, van, station wagon or hatchback, i.e. facility where persons can vend from the rear of the vehicle in a clean environment. Regular passenger cars cannot be licensed. Pushcarts must have an umbrella.
A gravity feed hand wash facility is provided in the unit with water, soap and paper towels.
Ice chests (for sodas and ice) that are in good repair, clean, easily cleanable and non-absorbent.
If shelving is provided, it must be easily cleanable and non-absorbent.

Ice Cream Vendor: Individuals selling pre-packaged novelty ice cream from a vehicle or pushcart. The requirements for the unit are listed below.

Unit is a truck with a cover over the back, van, station wagon or hatchback, i.e. facility where persons can vend from the rear of the vehicle in a clean environment. Regular passenger cars cannot be licensed.
Mechanical freezer utilizing electricity or dry ice to maintain ice cream in frozen state is provided and in good repair.
Open food handling (such as nachos, frito pies, grinding ice, or bulk pickles) are NOT allowed to be made inside vehicle.

Shrimp/Whole Fish Vendor: Individuals selling whole shrimp or fish from a vehicle. The requirements for the unit are listed below.

Unit is a closed vehicle, i.e. truck with camper shell, van, hatchback or station wagon.
Gravity feet hand washing station is provided with water, soap and paper towels
Clean, easily cleanable, self-draining ice chests in good condition with plenty ice for shrimp or fish.
If utensils (scoop) are provided, three five-gallon containers provided to wash, rinse and sanitize. Sanitizer provided on unit.

Sandwich Truck: Vehicle or pushcart selling pre-packaged, potentially hazardous foods and drinks. The requirements for the unit are listed below.

All potentially hazardous and non-potentially hazardous foods and drinks are pre-packaged.
Potentially hazardous foods are prepared in a licensed commissary and properly labeled (see commissary details below).
Unit has facilities to maintain potentially hazardous foods below 41 degrees Fahrenheit.
Unit has facilities to maintain potentially hazardous foods at 135F or above.
Unit is smooth, easily cleanable construction in good repair.
Garbage can provided for customers to discard trash when they stop.

Kitchen On Wheels: Vehicle or trailer that is selling approved open food products. Requirements are:

Enclosed room with walls, floors and ceilings that are smooth, easily cleanable, and non-absorbent.
Doors are tight-fitting and self-closing.
Windows that can open and have minimum 16 mesh per inch screening wire to protect from insects and rodents.
A three-compartment sink with hot and cold running water available to all three compartments. All three compartments are large enough to immerse largest piece of equipment for washing, rinsing and sanitizing.
Separate hand washing sink with hot and cold running water by mixer faucet and properly plumbed to waste water tank.
Unit has a minimum ten gallon water heater or an instantaneous (on demand) water heater.
If you have a ten gallon water heater, then the unit should have minimum a 15-gallon fresh water tank. If you have an instantaneous water heater, then the unit should have minimum 25-gallon fresh water tank.
Unit has minimum 30-gallon wastewater holding tank. In all cases, the wastewater tank must be 15% larger than the total volume of fresh water (hot and cold together).

Waste Water Tank Equation for any size fresh water tank

25 gallons 30 gallons .15 x fresh water tank size = additional amount
additional amount + fresh water tank size = waste tank size

For Example: for A 36 gallon fresh water tank
.15 x 36 =5.4
5.4 + 36 = 41.40 gallons waste tank
30 gallons 34.5 gallons
35 gallons 40.25 gallons
40 gallons 46 gallons
45 gallons 51.75 gallons

Facilities provided to maintain hot holding temperatures of 135F.
Facilities provided to maintain cold holding at 41F or below.
Facilities provided to reheat potentially hazardous foods to 165F.
All equipment is smooth, easily cleanable, and non-absorbent.
Unit is constructed of corrosion-resistant, durable materials.
Liquid waste servicing connection is of different size than water connection.
Liquid waste servicing connection is lower than water inlet.
Potable water inlet is equipped with a transition connection of size and type that will prevent its use for any other service.
Solid waste storage facilities provided.
Adequate counter and/or worktables are provided.
Equipment is clean and in good repair.
Single Service items are used and stored properly.
Ice is stored in proper facility and handled properly.
Operates from an approved Commissary (see commissary details below).

Hot Dog or Sausage Pushcart: Pushcart that has hot dog or sausage, non-potentially hazardous foods and assorted condiments. Requirements are:

Unit has a waterproof roof over food and drink area.
Unit has a two-compartment sink with hot and cold running water by mixer faucet.
Unit has sufficient fresh water for daily operation.
Unit has wastewater-holding tank that is 15% larger than water holding tank.
Unit is smooth, easily cleanable, non-absorbent construction.

Corn Roaster: These units are considered as pushcarts and must meet these requirements:

Unit has waterproof roof over the food and drink area.
Unit has a two-compartment sink with hot and cold running water by mixer faucet. (Note: cold water holding tank and pipes need to be insulated to provide cool water when corn burner is operable).
Unit has sufficient fresh water for daily operation.
Unit has wastewater-holding tank that is 15% larger than water holding tank.
Unit is smooth, easily cleanable, non-absorbent construction.

Commissary Requirement: Pushcarts that distribute hot dogs or sausage, sandwich trucks and kitchen on wheels units must operate from an approved commissary. This commissary is a licensed food establishment that fully meets the Texas Food Establishment Rules (TFER), and has a current license. The unit must be returned to that commissary daily for replenishing of supplies, and servicing of the mobile vending unit.

The Commissary servicing Kitchen on Wheels must have the following facilities in addition to the licensed kitchen:

Overhead protection for supplying, cleaning and servicing the mobile unit.
Areas for flushing and cleaning liquid waste storage facility on mobile unit that is separate from water servicing area.
Surface of servicing area is constructed of smooth, non-absorbent material.
Time/date device to record when a mobile vending unit is serviced.

There are currently seven approved commissaries in San Antonio that can issue Notarized Commissary Letters that will be honored by Metro Health. Those facilities are listed:

B & S Mobile Catering and Vending Supplies · 2805 Commercial Ave 78221 · 210.924.5323
Best Foods of San Antonio · 5312 Rittiman Road 78218 · 210.662.7204
Pinky’s Shaved Ice · 1301 E. Elmira St. 78212· 210.385.6209
Myrna’s Catering · 161 Ward Ave. 78223 · 210.609.8585
TBS Foods · 1910 Arvie 78253 · 210.767.2222
Potranco Commissary · 12135 FM 1957 / 78253 · 210.858.8124
Cheesy Jane's · 4200 Broadway @Hildebrand 78209 · 210.826.0800
Mission Trail Mobile Vendor, Waste Management & Services . 3500 Orkney Ave 78223 . 210.928.8285

To set up your own commissary, call 210.207.0135.

To obtain a mobile vending license, the vendor must take the unit to the Development Services Center at 1901 S. Alamo and request to purchase a mobile vending license. A Sanitarian will inspect your unit and tell you what you need if the unit does not meet standards. If you need a Commissary letter, bring the completed document with you when you are ready for inspection. You will be asked for your driver’s license and background check letter.

When approved, you will pay for your license, and receive a receipt that you may use to operate your unit while you are waiting for the computer-generated license to be mailed to you. A sticker will be placed on your unit noting the date when your license expires.

With this license you may move through the public streets of San Antonio or Bexar County and distribute the foods that your license allows. If you want to operate in any of the incorporated cities in Bexar County, you need to check with the authorities in those cities to see what they require. Listed below are additional parking and other restrictions on your unit:

Parking a mobile vending unit on private property is permitted with written, notarized, permission from the owner and toilet facilities are available and convenient. The property must be commercially zoned and you must move the unit daily.
When you are parked on a commercial property, you may not vend within 300 feet of any licensed food establishment in any direction unless you have written, notarized permission to do so from all food license holders. Failure to receive permission from any food license holder will deny you permission to vend from that location, even if you have the location owner’s permission.
You may not vend from the mobile vending unit within 300 feet of elementary, middle or high school grounds from 1 hour before school starts, during the time school is in session, and not vend until 1 hour after school is out.
All food vending from a mobile food vending unit must be done ON THE VEHICLE. It is not permitted to remove food items from the vehicle to sell from a table under a free standing canopy. Mobile food vendors that sell whole, uncut produce are exempt from this rule.
Parking your mobile vending unit is prohibited within 50 feet of an intersection.
Pushcarts may not be operated in the street. Mobile vending units may not be operated in the “Downtown Business District” unless you have a special permit issued by the Downtown Operations Department. Their phone number is 210.207.3677.
If you were required to have a commissary, you are to return the unit to that location every day you operate for servicing and cleaning.

Seems there's a lot of requirements that she either knowingly disregarded that day, or didn't know she had to comply with. In the case of mobile vendors, it does fall to the police force to ensure that the line in regards to health codes is being towed.
That's a lot of requirements.