Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » Star Ocean 5: CONFIRMED
Star Ocean 5: CONFIRMED
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
By Darkalenia 2015-04-14 09:37:03
Link | Quote | Reply

A few days ago Square-Enix put up this teaser site, and it's been revealed to be the next Star Ocean title!

Titled Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness, the game is the fifth installment in the main series and is being developed by Tri-Ace, the studio that originally launched Star Ocean in 1996 on the Super Nintendo. The artist known as Akiman (Akira Yasuda) is the game’s main character designer, and this latest title takes place between Star Ocean 2 and Star Ocean 3.

Reveal Trailer
YouTube Video Placeholder

According to Famitsu Weekly, the game is about 30% developed, so we still have a ways to go before we see this released.

Translated Prologue
Quote:

Do the depths of space forbid peace for mankind—

Centuries after leaving Earth, after a multitude of trials, with the creation and spread of the ‘Galactic Federation’, humanity was on the verge of unified order and peace.

But the embers of conflict have begun to burn again.

Over 6,000 light years from Earth, on the unsettled planet, ‘Faicreed.’

Just as so many times before, the waves of history begin from a remote planet.

IMGUR Screen Galley: http://imgur.com/a/tB3ZJ

Main protagonist is Fidel Camus.

And his childhood friend, Miki.

Dunno how Kalila makes her threads so pretty, but I did my best :3
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-04-14 09:44:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Yessssssssssssssssss
By Darkalenia 2015-04-14 09:47:46
Link | Quote | Reply

OP updated!
 Valefor.Applebottoms
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2015-04-14 09:52:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Not gonna lie, very excited about this. Star Ocean 2 is probably my favorite game of all time, man, makes me want to play it again. Although I lost my PSP and original copy years ago. ._. /sad
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-14 09:55:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Applebottoms said: »
Not gonna lie, very excited about this. Star Ocean 2 is probably my favorite game of all time, man, makes me want to play it again. Although I lost my PSP and original copy years ago. ._. /sad
You only played on PSP?!?!?!!?

A little disapointed it's being developed for the PS3 but at least there will be a port for PS4.

Star Ocean is definitely one of my favorite series and can't wait for the eventual release.
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-04-14 09:56:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I..only played Second Evolution on PSP... I still need to finish it.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-04-14 09:58:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Really looking forward to this, I just hope they let the characters have facial expressions (god damn you SO4)
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-04-14 10:00:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »

I replayed and finished this very recently, didn't take me too long when focusing on just finishing the story
By Darkalenia 2015-04-14 10:06:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
Really looking forward to this, I just hope they let the characters have facial expressions (god damn you SO4)

Look at the screens/scans gallery I posted. It's obvious that they will have facial expressions :D
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-04-14 10:06:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »

I replayed and finished this very recently, didn't take me too long when focusing on just finishing the story
The female lead, her voice and some things she says reminds me of a friend from FFXI, especially in the crafting/upgrading screen. "Oooh! Great!!"
 Valefor.Applebottoms
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2015-04-14 10:19:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Valefor.Applebottoms said: »
You only played on PSP?!?!?!!?

A little disapointed it's being developed for the PS3 but at least there will be a port for PS4.

Star Ocean is definitely one of my favorite series and can't wait for the eventual release.
Oh no! Had an original PS copy that I played to death, I think my brother sold it without my knowledge years ago though. >< Still the better version, PSP just cleaned some stuff up and has some pretty cutscenes.

Related: Old Rena looks better than the new.

Old:

New:
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-04-14 10:47:06
Link | Quote | Reply

PSP has voice acting for all dialogue and a much better voice for Claude lol (his grunting on PS1 >.> lol)
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-14 10:52:01
Link | Quote | Reply

PSP has voice acting for all dialogue and a much better voice for Claude lol (his grunting on PS1 >.> lol)

The VA work in the original SO2 was awful.

PEARS INTO PEACHES
SHUT UP AND DIE
I WILL BURN YOU TO THE BONE

***was laughable. Tons of awful Engrish-y translation work didn't help either.

There's no reason to play the original PSX version. Everything is better in the PSP re-release.
 Asura.Ina
Server: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2015-04-14 10:59:15
Link | Quote | Reply

It better be good and not ***like 4
 Bismarck.Osaia
user: Osaia
By Bismarck.Osaia 2015-04-14 11:07:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Pulls modded psp out and downloads the iso to see what the hype is about...
[+]
 Shiva.Gib
Server: Shiva
user: Gib
By Shiva.Gib 2015-04-14 11:36:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Wife loves the Star Ocean games... watched her play 4... So the series can only go up from there, right?

Also, why is Japan still making PS3 games -_- Time and resources going into a crappy PS3 port is a waste. Especially when this game probably isn't going to be out for another 1-2 years.
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2015-04-14 11:39:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ina said: »
It better be good and not ***like 4

I personally loved 4. I put over 200 hours into it. The combat was great, the graphics were really good at the time, the story wasn't terrible(not super great, but ok), and I loved all the characters, yes even Sarah and Lymle, although Edge was a bit annoying after a certain point in the story.

Hell, there was 2 bonus dungeons as well, plus the crafting, which was nerfed on PS3, but still manageable. Yeah, there were some flaws, but overall, I liked it more than 3, not that 3 sucked besides the plot twist. The point is, as long as SO5 has elements of all the previous games(here's looking at you SO2), and the fact that Tri-Ace is still developing it, then we can expect something good.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-14 12:00:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Combat was the best thing about 4.
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-04-14 12:07:43
Link | Quote | Reply

awesome. Iv always liked this series. Started with star ocean the second story. And i still like that one the best. Till the end of time wasn't two bad. Clear room for improvement in many aspects on both games, but still rly good none the less. - Ironically, i just picked up a copy of The last hope a week ago.

[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-14 12:14:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Where's your copy of First Departure!?
[+]
By ScaevolaBahamut 2015-04-14 12:19:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
But the embers of conflict have begun to burn again.

Over 6,000 light years from Earth, on the unsettled planet, ‘Faicreed.’

Just as so many times before, the waves of history begin from a remote planet.

Aw, Christ. This is why Star Ocean is terrible, you guys. You take what should be a great idea for a sci-fi space exploration JRPG and ruin it by setting the whole *** game on some backwater *** planet so you can make yet another boring fantasy game.

Phantasy Star had us going to different planets like 30 years ago. It shouldn't be that hard to try to make your game different than Dragon Quest.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-04-14 12:36:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Darkalenia said: »
Dunno how Kalila makes her threads so pretty, but I did my best :3
You did fine, if anything I think I tend to make some of my posts too cluttered, and need to work on visual simplicity while keeping the visual appeal. Sometimes I'll just spend an hour or two... or more with formatting because I just like doing it, and seeing the results of my work, like little personal projects to please my curiosity and creativity.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-04-14 12:40:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Where's your copy of First Departure!?

As far as iw as told, the first release was a japan only game. Only the remakes and what not were released over here recently. And iv never been to eager usually to run out and get those types of releases. Thats why i have the original PS copy of the second story, not the psp release
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-04-14 12:42:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Im still stuck on Till the end of time. Damn battle trophies... i have 299/300 done. Just cant get that last one! Deal 77,777 damage ><
[+]
By Elazar1 2015-04-14 12:50:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I've not played this since number2 didn't even though they made more, shows I play ffxi way to much...
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-04-14 12:57:57
Link | Quote | Reply

First Departure is the PSP remake of 1 God, it's worth playing over the original SNES since it had pretty bad audio. I played the SNES version on an emulator and I'm a little sad because I can't really find the PSP game in stores here anymore. Might have to look around a bit more.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-14 13:01:35
Link | Quote | Reply

First Departure is also the first official NA release of that game. If you enjoyed the S02 engine, it's the same one they used remaking.
By Creecreelo 2015-04-14 13:03:21
Link | Quote | Reply

ROCKET PUNNNNNCH ROCKET PUUUNNNCH ROCKET PUUNNNNCH

TEAR INTO PIECES TEAR INTO PIECES TEAR INTO PIECES

RAY!! *20mins animation ensues for 100~ points of damage*

Absolutely love this series, although I still haven't finished 4 though. :/ Second Story and Till the End of the Time were so much fun though and I poured so much time into them and their bonuses dungeons. The PSP ports of 1/2 were also really excellent (even with the horrible redesign of Rena) and I'd highly encourage other fans to try to pick them up if they can!
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-04-14 13:04:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Staaaar liiight!
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-04-14 13:06:58