A Realm Reborn 2.55 Discussion (Spoilers)

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » A Realm Reborn 2.55 Discussion (Spoilers)
A Realm Reborn 2.55 Discussion (Spoilers)
First Page 2 3 4
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-04-01 13:00:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Like Camate did over at the OFs, I feel like I should make a thread dedicated to discussion as some people may feel the need to talk about it. Please don't leak spoilers into other threads. If you don't want to see spoilers don't read any further. You have been warned.

This thread will be treated as a VIP News Thread, as such trolls and troublemakers will be removed on sight.

Here's my take on the story...

EDIT:
[+]
By Crevox 2015-04-01 13:15:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure everyone is saying the opposite.

Anyways, really meh about it. It was okay, but a lot of it was extremely obvious. It was just one thing after another happening as expected. There were a couple surprises though:

They left a lot of things ??? for the expansion, kinda annoying. Probably to get people to buy it I guess? I felt a lot more fulfillment and interest in FFXI's storylines than this. I really hate the overarching politics theme on top of it.

Also, I'm getting tired of the "this guy is your friend, but maybe he's not, OMG HE'S THE ENEMY wait no j/k maybe he's not" bouncing around garbage. It was cool the first couple times, but it just keeps on happening. The suspense and surprise of these things happening has lost all meaning because they just keep doing it.

Tons of unanswered questions, extremely convenient plot occurrences... etc. This was not interesting. It seems like it was just huge bait to get people to buy Heavensward to figure out what happened.
[+]
 Cerberus.Valmur
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Valmur
By Cerberus.Valmur 2015-04-01 13:17:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Some NPCs have dialog if you talk with the 3 Grand Company officrs, Baderon/Miounne/Momondi + others
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-04-01 13:23:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Crevox said: »

Pretty sure everyone is saying the opposite.

Anyways, really meh about it. It was okay, but a lot of it was extremely obvious. It was just one thing after another happening as expected. There were a couple surprises though:

They left a lot of things ??? for the expansion, kinda annoying. Probably to get people to buy it I guess? I felt a lot more fulfillment and interest in FFXI's storylines than this. I really hate the overarching politics theme on top of it.

Also, I'm getting tired of the "this guy is your friend, but maybe he's not, OMG HE'S THE ENEMY wait no j/k maybe he's not" bouncing around garbage. It was cool the first couple times, but it just keeps on happening. The suspense and surprise of these things happening has lost all meaning because they just keep doing it.

Tons of unanswered questions, extremely convenient plot occurrences... etc. This was not interesting. It seems like it was just huge bait to get people to buy Heavensward to figure out what happened.
I saw your post on the OFs, and I agree. They have me hooked for Heavensward and despite the foreshadowing and cliches, I enjoyed it.

Cerberus.Valmur said: »
Some NPCs have dialog if you talk with the 3 Grand Company officrs, Baderon/Miounne/Momondi + others
I've actually stopped doing all ***that matters just to go talk to these people. lol
By Crevox 2015-04-01 13:28:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I saw your post on the OFs, and I agree. They have me hooked for Heavensward and despite the foreshadowing and cliches, I enjoyed it.

Yeah, I still enjoyed it, and was glad I went through with it. Still going to get Heavensward, but they've done better with the story in FFXIV in the past.

I kinda just want this whole Ul'dah plot thing to be over with. I don't like the politics. The scenes and cinematics are still very well done, I just don't like the theme. I was glad when I saw

...but then was disappointed when I realized there was that other guy still. And now that whole thing with:

It's just like, ugh. Just when I thought I knew where everyone's allegiances lie and everything makes sense, they have to have one guy up in the air.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-04-01 13:33:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Crevox said: »
Quote:

Yeah, I still enjoyed it, and was glad I went through with it. Still going to get Heavensward, but they've done better with the story in FFXIV in the past.

I kinda just want this whole Ul'dah plot thing to be over with. I don't like the politics. The scenes and cinematics are still very well done, I just don't like the theme. I was glad when I saw

...but then was disappointed when I realized there was that other guy still. And now that whole thing with:

It's just like, ugh.
I agree entirely. The main story has made me hate Ul'dah, where I started.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-04-02 06:28:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok done.
My biggest complain about this game's story remains the delivery. I honestly think it's terrible everytime and they need a better director...but anyway, let's go into spoilers for details about this.

All in all I give it a 6.5 top.
user: Creaucent
By Creaucent Alazrin 2015-04-02 07:07:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-02 08:30:28
Link | Quote | Reply

The player character doesn't do anything for one because appearantly even though you and your buddies can take down primals you can't take on a whole army by yourself. You're the one they needed to get out so yeah... It doesn't show that he/she is a coward or anything of the like.

Two. In order for them to have the player character do anything they would have to develop multiple scenes that wold play to the job or class that people chose to show up on when you entered the cutscence. Black mage in a sword fight with ilbred? There are plenty of reasons the player character isn't involved in these things from the start and isn't animated to participate in some of the elaborate cutscenes.

Three. If the pc gets caught or killed as you hypothesize that all the other scions might have done then the game kinda stops there for ya since this is the end of the story for a couple of months. Oh you're in prison? Please we will let you out to go adventure but when you log out please come back :)
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-02 10:26:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally
[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-04-02 10:34:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Personally
 Lye
By Lye 2015-04-02 10:39:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
Personally
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-04-02 10:44:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Lye said: »
Personally
 Lye
By Lye 2015-04-02 10:55:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-02 10:58:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-02 11:00:00
Link | Quote | Reply

user: Otek
By Sotek Sasara 2015-04-02 11:00:13
Link | Quote | Reply

The player character doesn't do anything for one because appearantly even though you and your buddies can take down primals you can't take on a whole army by yourself. You're the one they needed to get out so yeah... It doesn't show that he/she is a coward or anything of the like.

Two. In order for them to have the player character do anything they would have to develop multiple scenes that wold play to the job or class that people chose to show up on when you entered the cutscence. Black mage in a sword fight with ilbred? There are plenty of reasons the player character isn't involved in these things from the start and isn't animated to participate in some of the elaborate cutscenes.

Three. If the pc gets caught or killed as you hypothesize that all the other scions might have done then the game kinda stops there for ya since this is the end of the story for a couple of months. Oh you're in prison? Please we will let you out to go adventure but when you log out please come back :)

Eh, plenty of RPGs tend to give you an unwinnable scenario which you're pretty much meant to fail, though some still give you the illusion of being able to win.

That would have been a lot more satisfying than acting like a complete derp and would have actually made them out to be an actual danger while putting you in a weakened state, justifying the following scenes. Though I'm still not entirely sure why...

Now for a crazy theory (possible Coil spoilers);
[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-04-02 11:04:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally

Personally
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-04-02 11:05:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Btw, I added a likely incomplete list of NPCs who react to you post-finale to the OP.
 Lye
By Lye 2015-04-02 11:06:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-04-02 11:08:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Lye
By Lye 2015-04-02 11:08:09
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-04-02 11:10:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Lye
By Lye 2015-04-02 11:12:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Highly likely for sure. I do hope it's more symbolic of a new foe and new allegiance.
[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-04-02 11:15:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Spathaian
Server: Shiva
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2015-04-02 11:16:57