Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » ~First and Final Line of Defense v2.0~
~First and Final Line of Defense v2.0~
First Page 2 3 ... 34 35 36 ... 136 137 138
By Blazed1979 2017-06-24 12:03:04
Link | Quote | Reply

If the question is should you get HQ souveran first or Burtgang AG, I would lean towards Burtgang AG. You can't bread PDT cap through any other means.
 Bismarck.Firedemon
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2017-06-24 12:43:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said: »
If the question is should you get HQ souveran first or Burtgang AG, I would lean towards Burtgang AG. You can't bread PDT cap through any other means.

It makes no sense to afterglow when you don't have the gear to back it up. Less HP, less enmity, less spell interruption, less fast cast, etc. The ability to cap your DT easier without relying on accessories outweighs the afterglow. You get the -18% either way.
By Taint 2017-06-24 12:49:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Does Burt seem like overkill to you?

I don't have Burt but most everything else, there just doesn't seem like a ton of physical threats.

If I was building a PLD from Scratch I would:

Aegis > Souveran+1 > AF+3 body > Burt

Aegis with a solid DT build is tanking every mob with ease.

Aegis is the filet
DT is the potatoes
HP is the asparagus
Burt is the Oscar
By Elazar1 2017-06-24 12:52:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Aegis Burt then the sovereign set, simple.
[+]
By Blazed1979 2017-06-24 17:36:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Taint said: »

Does Burt seem like overkill to you?

I don't have Burt but most everything else, there just doesn't seem like a ton of physical threats.

If I was building a PLD from Scratch I would:

Aegis > Souveran+1 > AF+3 body > Burt

Aegis with a solid DT build is tanking every mob with ease.

Aegis is the filet
DT is the potatoes
HP is the asparagus
Burt is the Oscar
It does feel like overkill most of the time. But again I haven't quantified this, I haven't experimented, just expressing my intuition.
With RUN being what we use for most zergs, when we need a tank, and being able to hit higher amounts -PDT through Ergon, I think PLD needs all the -PDT they can get to remain competitive. Especially with how shitty Shield Blocks have scaled, and how beneficial RUN's JA's are to the current shitstorm of debuffs that SE seem to be hooked on.
I just don't see HQ souveran without burtgang being superior to NQ souveran with Burtgang. Being able to get over the dt cap isn't available any other way. There are many other ways to address the other aspects of building a tank. I don't think the HP gap between NQ and HQ souveran is that huge; what does it equate to, an additional attack from the mob before you're dead? Cure potency is already overkill on souveran NQ and HQ. Not like it is needed anyways as a good WHM will top you up with just a Cure V. If you're not healing yourself that is.

And, allow me to say:
Aegis is the 350g Wagyu, Medium well done
DT is the Steak fries
HP is the gravy
Burt is the Dr pepper, served close to freezing with lots of ice.
(Asparagus and Broccoli are Almace and Excalibur|)
 Bismarck.Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2017-06-24 18:53:48
Link | Quote | Reply

For body/legs/feet path C, and head/hands path D its a 265 HP difference. While I understand what you're saying, the ability to cap DT easier with the set bonus allows you to optimize your sets. Just makes no sense to make a Burtgang while striving for mediocrity.
 Asura.Jackflashh
Server: Asura
user: Kido
By Asura.Jackflashh 2017-06-25 01:52:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Firedemon said: »
For body/legs/feet path C, and head/hands path D its a 265 HP difference. While I understand what you're saying, the ability to cap DT easier with the set bonus allows you to optimize your sets. Just makes no sense to make a Burtgang while striving for mediocrity.

You're suggesting that mediocrity is an extra 18% pdt above the cap with reduced hate loss and 18 enmity, but 265 HP is the superior breaking point? I'm not seeing the logic. I understand being able to cap DT easier is an asset, as I have both burtgang and hq souv. But to say that, lets say a max of 300 HP gained from NQ > HQ, is somehow vastly superior to 18% pdt ABOVE the already achieved 50% cap that occurs regardless of nq or hq. That's also assuming you choose maximum hp paths for all 5/5 pieces. I would however agree that AG burt is a waste until you start working on HQ sets, as the only thing gained is dps.

Other stats like FC and enmity are mildly irrelevant when talking about the difference between nq and hq souv, simply b/c you're swapping into completely different sets to cap those stats when needed, and DT has nothing to do with it. Unless I'm crazy and I'm the only person that doesn't care that much about not being in capped DT the .5s it takes to swap into a full enmity or FC set during an ability or cast before going back to normal idle/engaged set.

"Hey guys good news. I spent 150m gil for my souv+1 set and it got me an extra 265hp over that guy over there, who can go 18% above the pdt cap, which I can do nothing about..."

Sounds like 2006 all over again, where white boxes somehow equaled the difference between "leet" players and the dirty peasants.
[+]
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
Server: Leviathan
user: bluecop81
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2017-06-25 02:50:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Jackflashh said: »
Bismarck.Firedemon said: »

You're suggesting that mediocrity is an extra 18% pdt above the cap with reduced hate loss and 18 enmity, but 265 HP is the superior breaking point? I'm not seeing the logic. I understand being able to cap DT easier is an asset, as I have both burtgang and hq souv. But to say that, lets say a max of 300 HP gained from NQ > HQ, is somehow vastly superior to 18% pdt ABOVE the already achieved 50% cap that occurs regardless of nq or hq. That's also assuming you choose maximum hp paths for all 5/5 pieces. I would however agree that AG burt is a waste until you start working on HQ sets, as the only thing gained is dps.

Other stats like FC and enmity are mildly irrelevant when talking about the difference between nq and hq souv, simply b/c you're swapping into completely different sets to cap those stats when needed, and DT has nothing to do with it. Unless I'm crazy and I'm the only person that doesn't care that much about not being in capped DT the .5s it takes to swap into a full enmity or FC set during an ability or cast before going back to normal idle/engaged set.

"Hey guys good news. I spent 150m gil for my souv+1 set and it got me an extra 265hp over that guy over there, who can go 18% above the pdt cap, which I can do nothing about..."

Sounds like 2006 all over again, where white boxes somehow equaled the difference between "leet" players and the dirty peasants.
In the end, it shows the quality the player wants over their skill. Any Solid paladin can tank in less than perfect gear once they understand what is important. What is needed vs what is Wanted (Ideal). As long as you have Aegis and 50% dt in gear, enmity + set and SiR set, it opens you to a large amount of fun. If you are almost always dead after a Spell or Ability, your recast timer is always max or you need an arise more than the Mage that is healing you, simply readjust and upgrade. HQ vs NQ is only what you can get and what do you want to get in the end. I have HQ crap and still have been out tanked by NQ gear pld who just has a better set than I did. no big deal.
By Blazed1979 2017-06-25 04:41:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, if you guys really want to get technical here, Aegis isn't "needed". You can still tank stuff without Aegis and survive and do it effectively. Is it pretty? No. Is it fun? I guess if you're into sadomasochism and self-hurt, sure? Or if you want to feel challenged? I've done it a couple of times to prove a point or test out something.(lockstyled Aegis, put on Ochain) - only 1 person (Danielot) noticed because he was the healer.
 Asura.Akivatoo
user: Akivatoo
By Asura.Akivatoo 2017-06-26 00:44:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, if you guys really want to get technical here, Aegis isn't "needed". You can still tank stuff without Aegis and survive and do it effectively. Is it pretty? No. Is it fun? I guess if you're into sadomasochism and self-hurt, sure? Or if you want to feel challenged? I've done it a couple of times to prove a point or test out something.(lockstyled Aegis, put on Ochain) - only 1 person (Danielot) noticed because he was the healer.
Of course healer noticed, you rape is mp
By Blazed1979 2017-06-26 23:26:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Akivatoo said: »
Of course healer noticed, you rape is mp
I guess you is definition is of rape is 25% most potency, dah?
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-06-27 06:21:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's stop playing games. If the PLD doesn't have Aegis, it isn't tanking. It is just wasting a slot. Put something else there with Voke so it at least does some real damage. I'd rather have a WAR/PLD than a PLD/WAR without Aegis.

For content like Ambuscade, Burt, Aegis and NQ Souveran or Arke is fine. Burt shines more for the enmity perks it carries than the PDTII -18%, imho.

If using SMNs for everything, you can probably ride NQ for any fight.

But if you want your tank to be the go-to when it comes to holding a mob when a fight goes south, get HQ. It has never been cheaper. REMAs have never been so plentiful. And this question is tired. How cheap can you be in your gear? That's up to your party, not us. If you aren't getting invites for content, use that time to farm.
[+]
 Bahamut.Atamanos
Server: Bahamut
user: Atamanos
By Bahamut.Atamanos 2017-07-03 14:38:22
Link | Quote | Reply

how many // what sets are you guys/girls running now days still doing idle, tp, turtle, enhan, divine, enmity, ws's, ptd, mtd, cure self, cure others, phalanx, fast cast? is there a way to simplify it down to only a handful of sets but not gimp my self really love my paladin and wanting to build it right thank you in advance for all info/ responses
 Odin.Foxmulder
Server: Odin
user: Chakan
By Odin.Foxmulder 2017-07-03 14:52:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Atamanos said: »
really love my paladin and wanting to build it right

Answered your own question. Build all of those sets (and possibly more) for all occasions.
 Bismarck.Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2017-07-03 16:32:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I run the following:

~turtle (max -dt)
~hybrid
~melee
~2 ws sets
~mab
~fast cast
~spell interruption
~cure cheat/cure set
~divine
~enmity
~idle

I know I could do more sets but I literally have no more room for gear until we get more wardrobes.
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
user: bluecop81
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2017-07-03 17:33:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Add in there Max HP and Low-safe HP
 Shiva.Spynx
Server: Shiva
user: auron86
By Shiva.Spynx 2017-07-03 17:54:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally have most sets people are mentioning but understand you can't have 25 different gearset for each job you play as inventory is a luxury. If you want to be the standard tanking PLD your bare minimum are:
  • Idle: DT/Refresh + mov speed if needed

• Turtle: capped DT and high-HP

• Fast cast: I have full FC and DT-FC with a mix of tutle/FC so no extra gear

• SID: a must when /BLU to spam AoE hate

• Enhancing: this boosts your phalanx along with +phalanx gear and it's really nice if you can get dmg down to 0 to avoid enemy tp generation. You need 28.5 skill to take -1 dmg so if you can't break next tier, ditch some gear (that's also why +phalanx is much better when available in that slot)

• Cures: capping cure potenty + cure potency received and throwing healing skill/mnd while keeping HP high

Unless you melee on PLD (I don't but understand people who do) you can avoid any dd/ws/hybrid sets. Same for divine as it only buffs banish/holy and enlight. MAB is nice for sanguine blade but anything worth tanking on PLD will resist for like 100-200dmg so you can skip.
 Bismarck.Fingolfin
user: finarfin
By Bismarck.Fingolfin 2017-07-03 19:44:49
Link | Quote | Reply

~turtle

~TP
~3 ws sets (CDC & SAVAGE & REQ)

~spell interruption
~cure cheat/cure set
~enmity
~idle (refresh)
By ocean 2017-07-19 23:25:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
can do a lot better than that, especially if you swap weapons(PLD damage is ***on most things worth bringing a PLD to, obviously a toggle is appropriate because there are times you will want your TP)

ItemSet 341806

2985 HP on galka pld, 80 FC (2965 if you use moonbeam rings like a sane person).. only thing where I feel like I need more HP than that is the first bit of black and white where most of the fomor are still alive

Comeatmebro- Would you mind sharing the Priority order as well?
 Leviathan.Louisoix
user: Louisoix
By Leviathan.Louisoix 2017-07-22 20:36:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd like to see what sort of enhancing options you plds are using to go into your phalanx set, i'm 1 gear piece and 2 augs away from having every + phalanx gear available. and with those slots being filled i can only break one more phalanx tier via enhancing. So please let me see where you're stacking all of this extra enhancing.

If it's in main, sub, head, body, hands, back, legs and feet. you're doing it wrong. those are all phalanx + slots. only option ive found that gives me 1 more phalanx after those is my incanter's torque. thanks.
By Blazed1979 2017-07-23 04:29:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Louisoix said: »
you plds
you're doing it wrong.
 Leviathan.Louisoix
By Leviathan.Louisoix 2017-07-23 06:15:40
Link | Quote | Reply

or you can actually correct me or give sound advice. but naah that'd be over reaching
 Asura.Akivatoo
By Asura.Akivatoo 2017-07-23 06:56:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Code

sets.midcast.Phalanx = 
{
    main="Deacon Sword",
    sub={ name="Priwen", augments={'HP+50','Mag. Evasion+50','Damage Taken -3%',}},
    ammo="Staunch Tathlum +1",
    head={ name="Odyssean Helm", augments={'MND+10','AGI+4','Phalanx +4','Accuracy+8 Attack+8',}}, --(4/5)
    body={ name="Odyss. Chestplate", augments={'Pet: Mag. Acc.+26','"Fast Cast"+1','Phalanx +5','Mag. Acc.+2 "Mag.Atk.Bns."+2',}},
    hands={ name="Souv. Handsch. +1", augments={'HP+105','Enmity+9','Potency of "Cure" effect received +15%',}},
    legs={ name="Odyssean Cuisses", augments={'AGI+8','Accuracy+3','Phalanx +4','Accuracy+3 Attack+3','Mag. Acc.+12 "Mag.Atk.Bns."+12',}}, --(4/5)
    feet={ name="Souveran Schuhs +1", augments={'HP+105','Enmity+9','Potency of "Cure" effect received +15%',}},
    neck="Incanter's Torque",
    waist="Olympus Sash",
    left_ear="Andoaa Earring",
    right_ear="Augment. Earring",
    left_ring="Stikini Ring",
    right_ring="Stikini Ring +1",
    back={ name="Weard Mantle", augments={'VIT+5','DEX+3','Phalanx +5',}},
}

This set give with /war and jobmaster
Phalanx skill 386/386 = 31/31 High tier Phalanx testing (Mougurijin, BG)
Phalanx equip + 34/36
total 65/67
By Blazed1979 2017-07-23 07:12:02
Link | Quote | Reply

or you can actually correct me or give sound advice. but naah that'd be over reaching
Relax lol, you just sounded like you were walking into a bar from a western movie rootin tootin all sorts of jibida jab!
Them are fightin words!
[+]
 Leviathan.Louisoix
By Leviathan.Louisoix 2017-07-23 08:15:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I completely forgot about those rings. So ill get some. And what stones were used for augs? Or was it DM?

Thanks for this and sorry, im a divk.
 Asura.Akivatoo
By Asura.Akivatoo 2017-07-23 08:43:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I completely forgot about those rings. So ill get some. And what stones were used for augs? Or was it DM?

Thanks for this and sorry, im a divk.
DM only ><
 Leviathan.Louisoix
By Leviathan.Louisoix 2017-07-23 08:50:12
Link | Quote | Reply

How many times did you roll augs for phalanx youd say?
 Asura.Akivatoo
By Asura.Akivatoo 2017-07-23 08:55:07
Link | Quote | Reply

How many times did you roll augs for phalanx youd say?
all campaing since day one + 5 stack of DM ^^
(i said: i do that before other things, now i now others thing never happen ^^)

SE really need to pin everytime DM campaing and double XP/CapP
 Leviathan.Louisoix
By Leviathan.Louisoix 2017-07-23 09:00:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Should change your name to gil. Lolol
 Leviathan.Louisoix
By Leviathan.Louisoix 2017-07-23 09:18:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, you sacrafice a good chunk of hp using ring slots. Ever any trouble with eating an attack round/tp or just time recadt appropriately?
First Page 2 3 ... 34 35 36 ... 136 137 138