Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » Vampire: The Masquerade
Vampire: The Masquerade
By Zackan 2015-03-05 12:15:56
Link | Quote | Reply

So I am trying to Game Master a game, but I am not the most creative person out there. I have a barebones story so far, and I am working on it more. I do plan on doing most of the work, I just feel like getting the review and assistance of this gaming community.

First: I am considering implementing a house rule. I don't like that it is basically impossible to improve your generation unless you commit the ultimate sin that is Diablerie. So I have quickly put together an alternate means to do this.

At character creation you can spend up to 5 points in background to improve your generation to 8th generation. This is done by normal means, with starting or freebie points.

My system comes into play if you do not spend any points into Generation. Basically the way it works is you can improve you generation in game via Exp cost AND something story driven and time driven(As an example, maybe having spend your x amount of time in some kind of meditative trance while 'fasting'(no consuming of blood of any kind) which would come with frenzy checks etc)

The system is this: Starting generation is 13th(unless you take the flaw) 13->12= 1 xp, 1 day, 12->11= 2 xp, 2 days, 11->10= 4 xp, 3 days, 10->9= 8 exp 4 days, 9->8= 16 exp, 1 week, 8->7= 32 exp 1 month, 7->6= 64 exp, 1 year, 6->5= 128 exp 1 Decade, 5->4= 256 exp 1 Century.....it would follow this pattern IF gaining 3rd gen is even to be allowed. I could multiply all these numbers by 2, hence making it even harder, if I allow for 14th(Thin blood flaw) to be my base instead of 13th.
---------------------------------

The Story so far;(its only bare bones I plan on updating later)

Setting: Riverside, CA(But it can be ANY major metropolitan)

Story: 3 Rival Gangs(of choice(I went with Asian, Latino, Skinhead) are in a heated Turf War. The media and law enforcement seem to be giving this an oddly SMALL amount of attention. This is the masquerade that is seen by the general population. However on the other side of the Coin there is the Prince of the vampires in the area(6th Generation) who is currently defending his position against three vampires(7th Generation). These 3 vampires are the heads of the 3 gangs mentioned above.
As a player you choose to be Neutral or to side with one of the 3 vampires, or to side with the prince. Or if you are really gungho you can try to take them all on and try to claim the position for yourself.---------

Well this is the start i will add more later.
By Zackan 2015-03-05 12:30:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I appreciate the opinion which had nothing to do with my OP^^

But in all seriousness, I never could get into Werewolves, maybe it had to do with the order in which I was introduced to Whitewolf, but Vampires is what got me started and nothing else compares.
By Zackan 2015-03-05 16:54:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Well fun stuff, creating a bunch of npc's.. ***bump!
 Asura.Ajirha
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Ajirha
By Asura.Ajirha 2015-03-06 05:23:38
Link | Quote | Reply

werewolves...no... go for MAGES !!
on the topic, that's way too powerfull. you cant just allow such an easy process to the players. give them a hand and they'll pack the whole body (tables RPG players !! i practiced too. :p)
if such thing was to happen, aside from the story part which should be very very difficult to happen, unless it's the main focus of your scenario, the time needed to gain generation should follow a much more exponential curve with much longer duration. like 10 years for 13 -> 12. 50 for 12->11 or something like that. ancients like generation 8 or lower are usually very old ones, often 500 to 1000 years old.

unless you play over centuries time wise (which is apparently not the case for you since you plan on playing in modern cities) players just cant do that. get fed blood by an ancient for a bit if you want to have temporary lower generation powers but else, i'd advise against it. or you'll fall into the powerhouse trap and either you'll have to exponentially increase the difficulties (of the fights mainly) or restart very often with brand new characters. Vampire like mage is still mostly a game of intrigues and plans. not a game just to fight and fight.
I never played werewolf so idk fir this one but mage and vampire, better restrain the players.

Edit :
same with the potential XP needed. i know vampire does reward much but make it also a much bigger investment. like 5 time what you suggested at least.
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-03-06 05:30:04
Link | Quote | Reply

D&D meets Twilite?
By Darkalenia 2015-03-06 05:52:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Dark Ages > Masquerade
 Asura.Ajirha
Server: Asura
user: Ajirha
By Asura.Ajirha 2015-03-06 07:16:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Darkalenia said: »
Dark Ages > Masquerade
Shadowrun > every other RPG
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-03-06 07:22:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Endoq said: »
D&D meets Twilite?

Not even close, as it was around at least a decade before Steph Meyer started writing her vapid shitheap excuse for novels.

If anything it pulls from the darker sides of Anne Rice.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-03-06 07:29:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ajirha said: »
Dark Ages > Masquerade

You know you're a huge nerd when you're in 2015 and arguing about which tabletop RPG is the best.

Personally I've never had enough friends into it to play one IRL. That's what happens when you're one of two sci-fi/fantasy dorks in your high school in hick town in the middle of nowhere. Then in college I was too busy with music ensembles and drinking.

I'd really like to give the system adapted for the Dresden Files world a try.
[+]
By Zackan 2015-03-06 12:29:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Dark Ages > Masquerade

You know you're a huge nerd when you're in 2015 and arguing about which tabletop RPG is the best.

Personally I've never had enough friends into it to play one IRL. That's what happens when you're one of two sci-fi/fantasy dorks in your high school in hick town in the middle of nowhere. Then in college I was too busy with music ensembles and drinking.

I'd really like to give the system adapted for the Dresden Files world a try.

roll20.net

Great website for those with the excuse 'i can never get enough friends together' ^^
By Ramyrez 2015-03-06 12:31:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Zackan said: »
Great website for those with the excuse 'i can never get enough friends together' ^^

Oh, that was back in the day.

I'm sure I could find local groups now.

I just don't have the time.
By Zackan 2015-03-06 12:34:19
Link | Quote | Reply

werewolves...no... go for MAGES !!
on the topic, that's way too powerfull. you cant just allow such an easy process to the players. give them a hand and they'll pack the whole body (tables RPG players !! i practiced too. :p)
if such thing was to happen, aside from the story part which should be very very difficult to happen, unless it's the main focus of your scenario, the time needed to gain generation should follow a much more exponential curve with much longer duration. like 10 years for 13 -> 12. 50 for 12->11 or something like that. ancients like generation 8 or lower are usually very old ones, often 500 to 1000 years old.

unless you play over centuries time wise (which is apparently not the case for you since you plan on playing in modern cities) players just cant do that. get fed blood by an ancient for a bit if you want to have temporary lower generation powers but else, i'd advise against it. or you'll fall into the powerhouse trap and either you'll have to exponentially increase the difficulties (of the fights mainly) or restart very often with brand new characters. Vampire like mage is still mostly a game of intrigues and plans. not a game just to fight and fight.
I never played werewolf so idk fir this one but mage and vampire, better restrain the players.

Edit :
same with the potential XP needed. i know vampire does reward much but make it also a much bigger investment. like 5 time what you suggested at least.

My reason for the 'easy' requirements for Gen 12 through 8 is because you can start off as 8 via backgrounds.

You get typically maybe 7 exp per game sessions. so its almost 10 game sessions to save up enough exp to advance from 8 to 7 under my system, and this means not spending exp on anything else. Theoretically you could use exp only to boost your gen, but you would be empty, you would be a 7th or 6th but be just as weak as a 12th.
By Zackan 2015-03-06 12:35:16
Link | Quote | Reply

again why that site is great, if you can find the time, anytime during the week or month, you don't even need to leave the house.
By Ramyrez 2015-03-06 12:55:27
Link | Quote | Reply

again why that site is great, if you can find the time, anytime during the week or month, you don't even need to leave the house.

I've done the online thing. It's not nearly as enjoyable.
By Zackan 2015-03-06 16:17:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I've done the online thing. It's not nearly as enjoyable.

It all depends. It works for why it was created.... If you really want to find a group to play a game with, but you have noone locally available.