Color Perception & Optical Illusion Topic

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Color Perception & Optical Illusion Topic
Color Perception & Optical Illusion Topic
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-28 04:29:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dubai said: »
Kalila said: »
Enuyasha said: »

This one is odd because i can never see the old woman even if im trying to see it, some people can never see the young woman.

Totes interesting. Theres other examples but id have to dig through my psychology book to find the examples i want.
The chin of the young woman is the old woman's nose.

The young woman's necklace is the old woman's mouth.

the young woman's bottom left ear is the old woman's far inner corner of the eye.

The only thing that messes this up is the young woman's nose, making it look like the old woman has some fuzz or something at the top of her nose.

Is it just me or does anybody else see the pic above. A Women wearing a big fury coat looking away with black hair and wearing some sort of hat with a feather on it? :/
Young Girl-Old Woman Illusion

A famous perceptual illusion in which the brain switches between seeing a young girl and an old woman (or "wife" and "mother in law"). An anonymous German postcard from 1888 (left figure) depicts the image in its earliest known form, and a rendition on an advertisement for the Anchor Buggy Company from 1890 (center figure) provides another early example (IllusionWorks). For many years, the creator of this figure was thought to be British cartoonist W. E. Hill, who published it in 1915 in Puck humor magazine, an American magazine inspired by the British magazine Punch (right figure). However, Hill almost certainly adapted the figure from an original concept that was popular throughout the world on trading and puzzle cards.
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2015-02-28 05:29:32
Link | Quote | Reply

You guys are confusing interpretation and illusion. Like those magic eye things from the 90's. Just a giant mess of color, until you focus so hard your eyes cross, and you see the 3D image.

It's one thing do see the young/old lady. The vase/faces. The lamp/legs.

It's an entirely different thing to see something that straight up isn't there. Aliens.jpg

The only way you can see anything resembling white, is by focusing so hard on the black that your eyes bleed out the blue hues. Which you shouldn't be doing because you weren't told it was black.

Now that you KNOW it's blue and black you can trick yourself into focusing on the black. But when simply asked, what color is it. It's impossible to see white and gold.

The Color Of The Dress According To Science:
("it's a fact that you're smarter if you see black and blue") That's why more than half see white and gold... 2/3 AT LEAST of americans are borderline, mentally HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.
YouTube Video Placeholder
 leo
By leo 2015-02-28 09:32:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
It's a 2 in one, an old woman where the jaw/chin of the young woman is her nose

It actually depends on which part of the drawing your brain processes first. After I read your comment, I looked to the "chin" like a nose, the old woman was instantly recognizable.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-02-28 09:39:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Angierus said: »

Finally some substance to this thread !
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-02-28 10:41:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Valli said: »
It's an entirely different thing to see something that straight up isn't there.
Meaning seeing black and blue where the pixels are brown and grey. Got it.
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2015-02-28 10:43:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
It's an entirely different thing to see something that straight up isn't there.
Meaning seeing black and blue where the pixels are brown and grey. Got it.

stillnotwhite.jpg
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-02-28 10:45:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I must say taking this mundane of a thread and turning it into a full on argument impresses the *** in me
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-28 10:49:19
Link | Quote | Reply

The only way you can see anything resembling white, is by focusing so hard on the black that your eyes bleed out the blue hues. Which you shouldn't be doing because you weren't told it was black.

Now that you KNOW it's blue and black you can trick yourself into focusing on the black. But when simply asked, what color is it. It's impossible to see white and gold.

The Color Of The Dress According To Science:
("it's a fact that you're smarter if you see black and blue") That's why more than half see white and gold... 2/3 AT LEAST of americans are borderline, mentally HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.

Looking at each picture below individually, what color are these pixels to you?
Kalila said: »
Since I doubt most of the people who visited this topic read my whole post, I want to know.

Those of you who see only a blue dress with black lace, what color do you see when the parts are separated from each other?

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2015-02-28 10:51:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Blue.
Black with light shining on it.
Black lace with blue underneath it.
Still blue.
Blue with black lace on it.

If you want to make 2 look more abstract, try removing the rest of the real color on the left side, instead of just removing some of it.
When you show the whole section, you can clearly see it's black.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-28 10:51:39
Link | Quote | Reply

yea right
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-28 10:52:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I have never in my life heard about a black pixel with light shining on it.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2015-02-28 10:53:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Have you ever owned black clothing? Look at it in sunlight, spoiler, it's no longer black. Same with hair.

It's called sun bleaching. Human made light does the same thing.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-02-28 10:54:04
Link | Quote | Reply

My ego is so absurdly weak that I need to claim to be smarter by pretending that brown is the same thing as black while claiming anyone who disputes is literally HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.

Straight trolling.
[+]
By Fyyvoaa 2015-02-28 10:56:01
Link | Quote | Reply

come on page 9!

[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2015-02-28 10:56:32
Link | Quote | Reply

You're entitled to your opinions. Just know your opinion is wrong. That's all. I couldn't care less what color you THINK it is. KNOW that you're wrong.

Here's a great example. What color is your skin, again, spoiler, if you say your skin is white, you're a *** moron.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-02-28 10:57:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Seriously, though, those pixels aren't black. There isn't even a debate available, open the image in any photo program and sample the pixels.

You claiming that brown-yellow pixels are black is insane. And trying way too hard. And completely refutes your claim that stupid people don't know what they're seeing, unless you suddenly want to call yourself one of the legion of morons.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-28 11:01:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I present to you, the new color range, Black with Light Shining on it!

By fonewear 2015-02-28 11:02:07
Link | Quote | Reply

If only people cared about important topics like the color of a dress !
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2015-02-28 11:03:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow. I thought I had gotten past this point. But you damn humans, you always manage to impress with your ignorance. Every time I say, there's no possible way I could be shocked again, you out do yourselves.

I am impressed. Kudos, fingersnaps, etc.
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-28 11:04:41
Link | Quote | Reply

keep on trollin
By fonewear 2015-02-28 11:05:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Someone disagreeing with you is not trolling.

Trolling is an art form that very few actually achieve.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-02-28 11:05:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Different day, this time there's light in my room, still can't see any white in any picture. So my ambient wasn't having any impact.
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2015-02-28 11:05:47
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not YOUR ambient light, it's the light in the store. Your lighting has no effect on anything. but yes, there is no white to be seen.

Answer me this:
Here's a great example. What color is your skin, again, spoiler, if you say your skin is white, you're a *** moron.
By fonewear 2015-02-28 11:07:08
Link | Quote | Reply

This is similar to asking "if a tree falls in the forest does it make a sound"

Only color perception is not as Philosophical.
 leo
By leo 2015-02-28 11:08:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Any of you happen to own a original 2001 XBOX console ? What color it is ? :P
It's a really dark hue of "army" olive-green.

I had people tell me it was black and I took them my console and shown them it under direct daylight. No doubts remained, then.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-02-28 11:08:39
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not YOUR ambient light, it's the light in the store.
I know that, but since I can't conceive the white I thought maybe if I'm in a different spot too I might see it. But I don't.
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2015-02-28 11:09:25
Link | Quote | Reply

No, it's a very simple IQ test.

What color is your skin. White = moron. It's not philosophical. It's not opinion. It's not some hidden meaning. It is what it is.

Your skin is NOT white. That dress is NOT by any stretch of the imagination white either.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-28 11:10:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Answer me this:
If you ask me, what color do I see, I would have to say, it varies across. No single point on my body is the same color as the other.

However, I could agree that there is an average if I combine every color, which is what my eyes are doing to tell me, I'm seeing this color tone of skin.

You however, refuse to accept that. You're with the group of people who refuse to see the color for what the image has, and instead you want to introduce logic into the equation as to why that color is what it is.

because you want to be right.

I believe there are people who can't see gold and blue, however, when I presented those cut out segments to people I know who can't see the gold, they finally could see the bronze, but in #5 they couldn't, it was blue and black for them again.

This is a case of mr smartypants refusing to budge his ground, for logic will prove our eyes wrong, even if the question is, what color do you see? what color is this pixel?
By fonewear 2015-02-28 11:10:18
Link | Quote | Reply

How do you know my skin is not white ! Get out of my room !
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9