Color Perception & Optical Illusion Topic

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Color Perception & Optical Illusion Topic
Color Perception & Optical Illusion Topic
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Carbuncle.Xenhas
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Xenhas
By Carbuncle.Xenhas 2015-02-27 22:29:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Kalila said: »
Fenrir.Schutz said: »
Dogs only seeing black and white is a misconception. :)

that scale looks like black and white to me
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-27 22:34:50
Link | Quote | Reply

:P
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-27 22:35:44
Link | Quote | Reply

It's funny, because a large majority of dog toys are red, and they can't distinguish red from green very well at all.

Red ball in the grass for example :<

but that's what their nose is for :O
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2015-02-27 22:36:45
Link | Quote | Reply

The biggest thing I can't figure out, is the white. I can understand the not understanding how light actually works, and why black doesn't always appear black.

But where in the hell does anyone even remotely see white, pale-blue at the absolute worst. But white, what the ***, seriously. It's not even close to a cream, or an eggshell, or an offwhite, it's as obvious as it can possibly be that it's blue.

We could argue light blue, baby blue, sky blue, vs the actual dark blue, but white, no. Straight up no.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-02-27 22:40:23
Link | Quote | Reply

You are just full-blown HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE at this point
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-27 22:41:14
Link | Quote | Reply

i think that was just the first reaction, and it's just been labeled as the gold/white and black/blue dress.... thing.

I see a gold/bronze and light sky'ish blue, with the lace removed from the equation just looking at the base of the dress I see a light blue'ish purple.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-02-27 22:41:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I saw this thing watching Brain Games on Netflix. The grey boxes are the same color and I was all wtf.

[+]
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2015-02-27 22:41:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ascadia said: »
I'm fully aware that the photo is grossly overexposed and that the dress is actually blue and black, but I absolutely cannot make myself see it in any colors other than white/pale blue and gold. It's kind of uncomfortable seeing something that you know is wrong.

I watched this gif from the OP a few times, and was able to see it black and blue before the correction after a few watches.

I agree with you, it was disconcerting looking at something I KNEW to be wrong and seeing it that way anyways. Such a weird feeling!
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2015-02-27 22:45:47
Link | Quote | Reply

How did you ever see a white in the first place? Legitimately. Even when it's completely blown way out of proportion with bright/contrast it's still very obviously blue.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-27 22:49:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Valli said: »
How did you ever see a white in the first place? Legitimately. Even when it's completely blown way out of proportion with bright/contrast it's still very obviously blue.
I've always seen a light blue, like I said, the topic is named "gold and white" because that is what people are seeing.

everyone sees something different.
[+]
 Odin.Liela
By Odin.Liela 2015-02-27 22:49:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, if you'd bothered to read the first page (where I first posted) you'd know that I actually saw pale blue to begin with, not white. But I suppose when you are so busy being crabby about people not seeing everything the same way you do right away, there's simply no time to read things.
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2015-02-27 22:50:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I was asking no single person in particular, I was asking the entirety of the intarwebz.

How does ANYONE, at all, not you specifically. See white at all. How can anyone say with a straight face there is anything resembling white.
 Odin.Liela
By Odin.Liela 2015-02-27 22:53:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I was asking no single person in particular, I was asking the entirety of the intarwebz.

How does ANYONE, at all, not you. See white at all.

Some people may see white because they see the picture as being lit entirely from behind, which makes them perceive a shadow over the dress, which makes it appear like it should be a paler color than it actually is. So even if they see light blue, they think white. (As I understand it.) The OP explains it better, if you like.
 Ragnarok.Kongming
Server: Ragnarok
user: koumei
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2015-02-27 22:54:10
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a white with an extremely cool color temperature. You just have to imagine it's in the shadows, and the lighting is your typical fluorescent lights they put in stores
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2015-02-27 22:55:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Liela said: »

Some people may see white because they see the picture as being lit entirely from behind, which makes them perceive a shadow over the dress, which makes it appear like it should be a paler color than it actually is. So even if they see light blue, they think white. (As I understand it.)

So they're seeing it wrong, and labeling it wrong (yes, wrong) and they're still not stupid... *eye roll* ok then. Got'cha.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-02-27 23:01:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Even knowing that it's wrong doesn't help. You can't NOT see it because that's how the brain works

Everyone's brain isn't the same, get off your high horse and actually read the OP
 Phoenix.Raistlinmaj
By Phoenix.Raistlinmaj 2015-02-27 23:05:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Soooo.... seeing something wrong makes someone stupid,and being unable to comprehend how someone else may perceive something as different from you is not?
 Phoenix.Raistlinmaj
By Phoenix.Raistlinmaj 2015-02-27 23:06:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know if it makes any difference, but I have less than perfect vision, and at first i thought it was white and gold.
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2015-02-27 23:07:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Liela said: »

Some people may see white because they see the picture as being lit entirely from behind, which makes them perceive a shadow over the dress, which makes it appear like it should be a paler color than it actually is. So even if they see light blue, they think white. (As I understand it.) The OP explains it better, if you like.

There were a few times I've seen Byakko go from white/purple to orange/red, you know. :p

It wasn't a hallucination! ;_;

I blame the bad lighting on the BLM's, though...or maybe it was just all the blood in my eyes... 9_-;;
[+]
 Bismarck.Patrik
user: Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2015-02-27 23:12:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Heh, this is interesting. I'll have to ask some friends how they see this. Weird how these random little things can get picked up differently by different people. (Always been a fan of optical illusions and such).

Oh, and I'm seeing blue/black.
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
Server: Asura
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2015-02-27 23:43:40
Link | Quote | Reply

So I was scrolling down on Facebook and someone had the really bled out overexposed pic up. I was leaned back all of the way in my chair. Had to rub my eyes. The Black looked solid gold and the blue looked solid white. I was too far away to distinguish between the exposure layer and the dress. Pretty wicked! My eyes just mind *** me.
 Lakshmi.Cesil
Server: Lakshmi
user: Valkyrie
By Lakshmi.Cesil 2015-02-27 23:44:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I see blue and black ^^
 Bismarck.Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2015-02-28 00:35:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Huh... looking at this on work computer, it looks clearly gold and white... dafuq.
 Carbuncle.Deathhaven
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Deathhaven 2015-02-28 00:36:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2015-02-28 01:16:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Back home... it's still gold/white o_o dahell is going on with my eyes.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-02-28 01:19:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I interpreted the dress as being a white/gold dress that was in shadow. Most "white" isn't white, which I assume you know, so the application of deep shadow would be sufficient to shift it to the blue-grey-periwinkle kind of shade that it clearly is in the picture. And don't argue that it isn't because you can sample the RGB and see what the pixels are.

You're a *** lighting engineer. Your brain is already trained not to see the same way my untrained brain sees. It's the same as how I can't watch shitty movies anymore: I've been trained to interpret and critique what I see and it ruins what little pleasure I might have gotten out of a Seth Rogen film (which, let's be honest, would be -4,000 even if I was drunk out of my skull).

The fact that you want to say your trained eyes are "normal" and all of us interpreting the data we see (the pixels that are *** grey-blue) are "stupid" is the most colossal cognitive dissonance I've seen outside of a P&R type thread.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-02-28 02:45:21
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Bismarck.Dubai
user: Enitsu
By Bismarck.Dubai 2015-02-28 02:54:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Kalila said: »
Enuyasha said: »

This one is odd because i can never see the old woman even if im trying to see it, some people can never see the young woman.

Totes interesting. Theres other examples but id have to dig through my psychology book to find the examples i want.
The chin of the young woman is the old woman's nose.

The young woman's necklace is the old woman's mouth.

the young woman's bottom left ear is the old woman's far inner corner of the eye.

The only thing that messes this up is the young woman's nose, making it look like the old woman has some fuzz or something at the top of her nose.

Is it just me or does anybody else see the pic above. A Women wearing a big fury coat looking away with black hair and wearing some sort of hat with a feather on it? :/
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-02-28 03:48:54
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a 2 in one, an old woman where the jaw/chin of the young woman is her nose
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9