Color Perception & Optical Illusion Topic

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Color Perception & Optical Illusion Topic
Color Perception & Optical Illusion Topic
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-27 19:31:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Not going to bother formatting this, but it sums it up well~

[+]
 Leviathan.Protey
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-02-27 19:34:06
Link | Quote | Reply

it was obvious blue with black frill to me and that light was causing a change in shade of the color. didn't even think about overexposure of the camera until it was mentioned.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-27 19:34:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
im not arguing the initial perception issue, rather the issue of those who vehemently declare the dress as gold/white despite there being obvious photographic evidence to the contrary
No one here has done that, and most of the internet who finds out that the dress is blue/black won't deny that fact.

That doesn't change what they see.
By Enuyasha 2015-02-27 19:34:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Valli said: »
A simple IQ test would show who sees what colors.

It's blatantly blue and black.
Quote:
Blue and black.
I hate you :( So much :(

Theres an exercise in my psych 101 book that has you order the words by the colors that they are....and it was so aggravating.

colors are hard :( specially when they cheat :(
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-02-27 19:35:17
Link | Quote | Reply

that's precisely what I'm talking about. my grievance is with those who deny the dress being blue/black despite this evidence being available and glaringly obvious. initially seeing the dress and seeing it as a different color than someone else is fine, that happens all the time. it's those who persist in it being something that it's not that I have a problem with.
By Enuyasha 2015-02-27 19:46:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, doesnt surprise me the bout of stupidity that is the argument started on Tumblr.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-27 19:46:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
that's precisely what I'm talking about. my grievance is with those who deny the dress being blue/black despite this evidence being available and glaringly obvious. initially seeing the dress and seeing it as a different color than someone else is fine, that happens all the time. it's those who persist in it being something that it's not that I have a problem with.
I just think it's interesting that, even though I know what the color really is, when I look at the original image, I still only can see a light blue dress with dark gold lace, while D standing next to me can't see gold at all and can only see black lace.
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-02-27 19:49:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait, what color IS the dress really?
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-27 19:50:49
Link | Quote | Reply

you didn't read my topic :P! or trolling :(

owner of the exact dress taken in the original photo, getting her picture taken at a wedding:
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-02-27 19:51:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Kalila said: »
you didn't read my topic :P! or trolling :(

So I AM seeing it right? I thought it actually was white and gold and blue and black were just an illusion.
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-02-27 19:52:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerulean and black. It's in the OP.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-27 19:52:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, it really is a blue dress with black lace.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-02-27 19:55:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I can see it just fine in some pictures but in others I can only see white and gold
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-02-27 19:56:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, it really is a blue dress with black lace.
Brb, telling my sister she's wrong and calling her a tard.
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-02-27 19:57:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Not going to bother formatting this, but it sums it up well~

With the background being so very bright, my natural first assumption was the dress was shadowed. This operated on the idea of a single general source of the light (e.g., the Sun). It didn't occur to me that everything was over-exposed (and the camera in question was probably going crazy trying to compensate) with the bright patch of light along the top-left quadrant.

I'd love to see someone explain how people could perceive this as having been in bright light from all directions. I'm not saying it's wrong, but it's apparently not how my brain works and I'm always curious to know how other people's brains do work.
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-27 19:59:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
I can see it just fine in some pictures but in others I can only see white and gold
A lot of pictures are just altered from the original, there is only 1 version of the picture.

Then the girl who uploaded the picture thinking it was cool that she saw a white dress with gold lace, and her friend could only see a blue dress with black lace, uploaded this showing her wearing it at a wedding:

after the internet lost it arguing about what color it really is, and people calling each other stupid, or their monitor isn't calibrated, or they have a color blindness problem, etc etc.
By Pantafernando 2015-02-27 20:00:39
Link | Quote | Reply

The people in my work were commenting about that. Even the tv here showed that, even called a doctor to explain whats going on.

Personally, i see it black and blue, but lots of colleagues said they saw white and gold. Its interesting.

But honestly, i just was thinking, poor of that girl. Now in every place in the world, millions of guys stared her butt for some mins just to check her colors.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-27 20:02:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
With the background being so very bright, my natural first assumption was the dress was shadowed. This operated on the idea of a single general source of the light (e.g., the Sun). It didn't occur to me that everything was over-exposed (and the camera in question was probably going crazy trying to compensate) with the bright patch of light along the top-left quadrant.

I'd love to see someone explain how people could perceive this as having been in bright light from all directions. I'm not saying it's wrong, but it's apparently not how my brain works and I'm always curious to know how other people's brains do work.
as am I :)
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-27 20:07:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Verda said: »
Honestly I strongly feel that perception and our ability to both be self aware of it and change it is tied to our ability to not only solve hard problems but also our ability to think through any problem and relate to other people. And it is a cryin shame that so many people get stuck in their perceptions and write others off as stupid or wrong or idiotic without trying to exercise perception and thus understanding of the world and others. It should really be taught in every school from a very early age, our ability to relate to others and see things from many different perspectives is a very necessary trait to the betterment of humanity as a whole.
I don't think that is something that can be taught, but rather something someone actively applies in life.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-02-27 20:07:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty amazed that Valli can post with a non-working brain
 Bismarck.Dubai
user: Enitsu
By Bismarck.Dubai 2015-02-27 20:12:34
Link | Quote | Reply

We live in a world with people who argue about the right color of dress. Let that sink in for a minute.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-27 20:13:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
Pretty amazed that Valli can post with a non-working brain
If he's being sincere, and not just trolling, then he's seeing the dress and seeing for what it is, a blue dress with black lace, while the whole internet is complaining about seeing it in a different color. Without understanding why others are seeing gold/white, it is only natural to assume that something is wrong with someone who does. People point at someone's intelligence, whether that intelligence is education, or understanding on how light affects color, or a various of other excuses to look down on others.

I don't exactly blame people who don't get it, but the people who refuse to see both sides, and proceed to argue against the people who see gold/white, I do blame because they are the people that even made this "a thing" to begin with.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-27 20:15:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dubai said: »
We live in a world with people who argue about the right color of dress. Let that sink in for a minute.
It's about how the mind perceives a color different than someone else, it's not about a dress, the dress is just the image that brought it up.
 Carbuncle.Xenhas
Server: Carbuncle
user: Xenhas
By Carbuncle.Xenhas 2015-02-27 20:22:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Now that we know the color of the dress.

What about this?

[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-02-27 20:22:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dubai said: »
It's about how the mind perceives a color different than someone else, it's not about a dress, the dress is just the image that brought it up.
Let's build on this further:

Perception, as I've pointed out, is not limited to one thing or another, and how one perceives one thing, can tell us a little about their thought processes.

It also tells us, that even when presented with the same information, regardless of it's intent, color, design, etc., they are going to look at, and extrapolate something entirely different, slightly different, or the same.

Example: I can say an apple is red. I wouldn't be wrong, but for someone who's never seen a red apple, because there are green and yellow apples, they could argue about the color of the apple, or even the shade of an apple's color based on the context of lighting, shading, and so forth. A red apple could become various shades or values of red quite easily, enough to fool some people into thinking it's pink, or a light violet, or crimson scarlet.

It isn't about what is really there, but what information is being perceived in place of reality. What we perceive to be true is often at odds with what reality presents to us.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2015-02-27 20:26:01
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not about the mind whatsoever. It's about the light shown on the dress.

Simple as that. If you don't understand that human made light is yellow and gives things tints, then you're dumb. Not trying to be rude at all, it's just fact. It's true that new lights are becoming less yellow.

That's the bottom line of it.

(It does help that I've worked in lighting, professionally, though.)
By Bloodrose 2015-02-27 20:32:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Then you would know, that professionally speaking, white light products have been around for close to 20 years.

And that the majority of fluorescent lights in department stores, at weddings, and so forth, use white light products, to showcase their merchandise in the most flattering way possible for the sole psychological reason that it shapes what a customer perceives about said products, particularly clothes.

So far though, despite working in lighting professionally, you sound as dense as molasses in winter.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9