FCC Adopts New Historic Internet Rules

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » FCC Adopts New Historic Internet Rules
FCC Adopts New Historic Internet Rules
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
By fonewear 2015-02-26 15:52:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm tempted to try XI on DSL but I know it would be a disaster
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-02-26 15:53:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Those countries also have better infrastructure when it comes to internet service.

Remember, we have been using telephone lines and still do for internet, and most places outside of the US have either newer lines or fiber optics or not as much area to cover (and can upgrade/replace their lines cheaper because of that) than US.
I am aware of this.

But since they hold a monopoly (and they really do), the major telecoms have refused to upgrade their infrastructure. They're content to over-charge us for shitty service and the only way they're willing to improve their infrastructure is if the US taxpayer funds it.

We're all too young to remember when the phone monopoly was broken up, but do feel free to look into how much people were being charged for the privilege of having a landline. And, if for some reason you think that these particular corporations aren't amoral ***, many clueless older people have been paying the same inflated rates in the decades since the FCC break-up. AOL still charges people for its service (at least, it did last I checked, this may have finally changed).

If we believe that capitalism is a force for good and that a free market is necessary for capitalism, there really needs be no debate about this. I could pull a Lordgrim and link to a bunch of YouTube videos on the subject if you'd really like, because I suspect most people have no clue what games the telecoms have been playing for years.
[+]
 Cerberus.Avalon
Server: Cerberus
user: KupoNuts
By Cerberus.Avalon 2015-02-26 15:54:06
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »

I used to play FFXI on DSL back when the game first came out. It really wasn't too bad, but Dynamis generally resulted in a debilitating crushing lag-fest - especially confined zones like Dynamis-Jeuno.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-02-26 15:54:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I've played WoW on what was basically dial-up speeds with only nominal problems.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-02-26 15:54:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Edit: I have problems playing Youtube videos... so yea I don't think I can manage a MMO.

I pretty sure access to Netflix is written in the Constitution it is in fine print though.

I'd probably get faster download speeds from the Starbucks down the street no lie.

According to speedtest I have 0.48 mbps...and a .71 upload I have to laugh or I'd cry.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-26 16:00:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Those countries also have better infrastructure when it comes to internet service.

Remember, we have been using telephone lines and still do for internet, and most places outside of the US have either newer lines or fiber optics or not as much area to cover (and can upgrade/replace their lines cheaper because of that) than US.
I am aware of this.

But since they hold a monopoly (and they really do), the major telecoms have refused to upgrade their infrastructure. They're content to over-charge us for shitty service and the only way they're willing to improve their infrastructure is if the US taxpayer funds it.

We're all too young to remember when the phone monopoly was broken up, but do feel free to look into how much people were being charged for the privilege of having a landline. And, if for some reason you think that these particular corporations aren't amoral ***, many clueless older people have been paying the same inflated rates in the decades since the FCC break-up. AOL still charges people for its service (at least, it did last I checked, this may have finally changed).

If we believe that capitalism is a force for good and that a free market is necessary for capitalism, there really needs be no debate about this. I could pull a Lordgrim and link to a bunch of YouTube videos on the subject if you'd really like, because I suspect most people have no clue what games the telecoms have been playing for years.
ISP and phone companies do not have a monopoly, as there are way too many choices to choose from. If you are going to base your decision on one type of carrier, then there's no helping you as you choose that carrier based on what they provide.

But there are multiple competitors for ISPs out there. Just because there's only one that supplies a majority of the consumers there doesn't mean it supplies all of them...
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-02-26 16:00:30
Link | Quote | Reply

*reads convo about fibres*

Telecom in Italy promised some years ago they're starting a project to bring optic fibres all over the country, I can't wait!!

[+]
By fonewear 2015-02-26 16:01:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Verizon told me they would put Fios in my area but I expect it maybe in the year 2020 at the earliest...

By that point Adam Sandler is sure to release Grown Ups 4: How much milk can I get from this cow.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-02-26 16:06:29
Link | Quote | Reply

ISP and phone companies do not have a monopoly, as there are way too many choices to choose from. If you are going to base your decision on one type of carrier, then there's no helping you as you choose that carrier based on what they provide.

But there are multiple competitors for ISPs out there. Just because there's only one that supplies a majority of the consumers there doesn't mean it supplies all of them...
That's a really weak argument and I hope you feel ashamed for voicing it.

Comcast has literally admitted that they meet with their competitors and decide who gets to cover which area. Except in a few major metros that can support another carrier or two, your choice is a classic Hobsons's choice: do what I say or *** off.

When Comcast was trying to justify their acquisition of TimeWarner Cable, they literally said, "Look, Comcast operates in New York, TimeWarner is in Philadelphia. There would be no change in competition if we merge because we're already not competing with one another." That's *** insane!
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-02-26 16:10:43
Link | Quote | Reply

ISP and phone companies do not have a monopoly, as there are way too many choices to choose from.
You... live here in America, correct?
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-02-26 16:10:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
People have dreamed up an imaginary problem with the internet. They don't know what it is. All they know is they want the Federal government to fix it.

And most people don't have a clue that the last mile providers actually foot a relatively small portion of the cost of that infrastructure. Coax is cheap and most of the infrastructure used currently was laid decades ago.

Free market people should love the idea of an even playing field where less than a handful of conglomerates have agreements not to intrude on each others' territory. Where small startups have literally no hope of success and where there is no competition to drive innovation or investment.

The US broadband market is pathetic when compared to rest of the developed world. Our couple top companies bring in ridiculous amounts of money while investing very little of it in the future. In places where the government owns the middle miles and requires providers to lease a certain portion of their infrastructure (for a fair market price) smaller providers pressure them to be competitive. The proof is in the pudding, their system is cheaper and faster and more companies employ more skilled professionals.

There really is no debate here.
By fonewear 2015-02-26 16:12:17
Link | Quote | Reply

No debate here Comcast and Verzion are pure evil but go ahead go to another provider I dare you !
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-02-26 16:13:12
Link | Quote | Reply

No debate here Comcast and Verzion are pure evil but go ahead go to another provider I dare you !

If I could do my job without broadband, you better bet I'd be giving my money to someone else. TWC blows in every imaginable way.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-26 16:14:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »

That's a really weak argument and I hope you feel ashamed for voicing it.

Comcast has literally admitted that they meet with their competitors and decide who gets to cover which area. Except in a few major metros that can support another carrier or two, your choice is a classic Hobsons's choice: do what I say or *** off.

When Comcast was trying to justify their acquisition of TimeWarner Cable, they literally said, "Look, Comcast operates in New York, TimeWarner is in Philadelphia. There would be no change in competition if we merge because we're already not competing with one another." That's *** insane!
This is a good site to see how your state is compared to others when it comes to broadband:

http://broadbandnow.com/
I'm borrowing this from the Random P&R thread. I typed my Zip Code and I found 20 different providers of which mine isn't even listed. So I know that there are plenty of options out there.

Seriously. There are providers out there. You don't have to go to the same one everyone else is using, in this case it's better to go to the ones everyone is not using.
By fonewear 2015-02-26 16:15:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't need faster internet but I'm impatient as hell. So yea I sorta do.

I technically have 3 ISP companies in my area. I've never heard of the one looks like the website was made in 1998

So yea some more competition would be nice.

It says the ISP in another state is available in my area...just looked it up. 300 miles from me.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-26 16:20:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Heck, Texas is the 44th most connected state in the nation and I still have options out of the wazoo.
By fonewear 2015-02-26 16:21:12
Link | Quote | Reply

It could be worst I could be using a string and a cup to connect to FFXIAH !

Or I could be in Montana the least connected state.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-02-26 16:24:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Typed in my zip. Grand total of cable broadband providers: 1

You also might wanna check that availability column in your search results. Really narrows down the field.
By fonewear 2015-02-26 16:27:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »

You also might wanna check that availability column in your search results. Really narrows down the field.

That's the thing the one random ISP I never heard of says it's available in 75% of my zip code. And the main company is in another state.

Before I moved we had once company for broadband. So it truly was a monopoly.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2015-02-26 16:29:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I just want my AT&T unlimited data to not be throttled
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-26 16:30:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Yet, did not link at least the city you are in to prove this statement.....

Also, I noticed that you limited your number to one type (cable). I guess when you can't say otherwise, limit the results down to prove your point....
By fonewear 2015-02-26 16:31:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Testing my amazing speed only takes a hour to download a 166MB "educational movie" !

33.0/kbps real speed ! Thanks DSL !
By Jetackuu 2015-02-26 16:37:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Regional monopolies suck.
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2015-02-26 16:46:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Basically Verizon and Time Warner for me.

Or I can go with some unknown company, pay 1-1.5x as much for 4GB of data. Hurray for choices.
By fonewear 2015-02-26 16:48:15
Link | Quote | Reply

You have other options start your own ISP !

Setup a kickstarter.
By fonewear 2015-02-26 16:53:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Or you can do this:

YouTube Video Placeholder

YouTube Video Placeholder
By fonewear 2015-02-26 17:11:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Remember kids if everyone steals it is okay then !
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-02-26 17:12:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, I noticed that you limited your number to one type (cable). I guess when you can't say otherwise, limit the results down to prove your point....

Twc and Verizon available in my area, but Verizon doesn't service my neighborhood, which is an HOA full of 2000+ sq/ft, less than a decade old custom houses within blocks of their central office.

So yes, only one provider available.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-26 17:15:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »

Twc and Verizon available in my area, but Verizon doesn't service my neighborhood, which is an HOA full of 2000+ sq/ft, less than a decade old custom houses within blocks of their central office.

So yes, only one provider available.
Does your HOA state that you have to use TWC and not any other options available to you? In other words, do you have to use cable internet only, and not wireless?
By fonewear 2015-02-26 17:25:23
Link | Quote | Reply

See I can use my phone for internet but "educational videos" on that small of a screen aren't that great.

Plus cell phone batteries are terrible.

Think I hate cell phones/cell phone providers more than ISP...