Mittamorphosis, What A Long Strange Trip It's Been

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Mittamorphosis, what a long strange trip it's been
Mittamorphosis, what a long strange trip it's been
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-01-30 15:19:23
Link | Quote | Reply

How do you get an MA/MBA/PHD without a BA again?
[+]
By Nazrious 2015-01-30 15:20:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Ramyrez said: »
Nazrious said: »
But for something like a BA??? fck out of here with that foolish noise.

Right. The arts, literature, history, all worthless.

How about you get the *** out of here with your foolish noise? Clearly someone of your intellect could be putting in a little more hard work making your millions.

A degree is only as good as how you apply it. You can get the most in demand degree and if you're not gonna make the correct moves to apply it you'll be washing cars in no time.

As a path to make money, I would never tell some one Liberal Arts was the way to go. If They LOVED the arts and had a smart plan, then they could go down that road, and MAYBE find work that would support them (and a family?)

A fresh PHD. in any liberal arts field will not get you a Job, you need good connections.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-01-30 15:21:46
Link | Quote | Reply

That's an argument about degree choice, not going to college.

The gov't shouldn't support higher ed? I guess less taxpayers is a good thing for those pulling down an income considering the cost/benefit on at least community college is essentially an extension of our public schooling programs.

HS diplomas are trash now. You need at least some collegiate education to scratch these days and thus gummint should be changing as the market dictates.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-01-30 15:23:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I once knew someone that made $500k a year with a BA in Philosophy. Only problem was the money was actually a metaphor.
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-01-30 15:24:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
You mean I beat the odds and got the job I love with the degree I wanted in?

And so did my coworkers?
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or serious here, but I'll assume the latter.

We stratify around people who share our cultural values and, to a lesser extent, monetary lifestyle. It's fairly normal. It's easy to forget that people are people, though. That traffic jam on that highway that seems to occur for about 30 hours a day isn't because everyone is in a hurry to their really sweet accountancy position and the depressed 45-year-old stocking shelves at the Piggly Wiggly isn't doing it as a hobby in between trading stocks.

Most people have a circle of acquaintances that encompasses maybe 500-1000 people, tending towards the lower end of that number, and you know real details about maybe 10% of them if you're lucky. It's very easy to forget, then, the other 999,500 people living in your metro.

So, yeah, you and your co-workers got lucky. I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that even accounting is getting pretty bloated with too many new graduates for too few new jobs (welcome to the same world that lawyers and even some doctors have been facing down for several years now).
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-30 15:25:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
For every 1,000 children forced to attend high school, only 600 will graduate.

Out of those 600, only 300 will attempt to go to college.

Out of those 300, 200 of them will/can only attend college if they qualify for large student loans that will haunt them to the end of time.

Out of those 200, only 80 will ever obtain a 4 year degree.

Out of those 80 four year college graduates with massive debt(s):

50 will take the first full time job they get out of college in order to 'start' their life down a spiral of regret, apathy, and security in laziness.

20 of them will never find full time employment and eventually fill up the bottom ring of 'upper' society.

The remaining 10 will peruse a higher form of education past a BA/BS.

Only 2 of those 10 will obtain their post graduate degree.

One gets a sweet job doing what they love, the other is never heard from again.
You mean I beat the odds and got the job I love with the degree I wanted in?

And so did my coworkers?

You don't have a grad. degree?

well there u go, but wait you have bachelors in accounting no?

I really don't think his figures were hard and fast, and even so accounting for all the fields and degrees out there it would still likely hold.

Out of all the people who take out student loans, only a small percentage secure meaningful or lucrative work, let alone both.
I have 6 degrees. 2 MBA (Accounting and Management), 1 MS (Accounting), 2 BBA (Accounting and Management), 1 BS (Accounting).
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-30 15:29:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
So, yeah, you and your co-workers got lucky. I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that even accounting is getting pretty bloated with too many new graduates for too few new jobs (welcome to the same world that lawyers and even some doctors have been facing down for several years now).
No, there are too few accounting students and a whole slew of jobs available for both public accounting and private industry. It's bad enough that the going rate of new, entry-level accounting professionals in CPA firms in San Antonio is between 45-60k per year, and with experience, between 75-90k per year. That's a major increase than when I started a few years ago (35-45k/60-75k respectfully)

My firm had to bump everyone's wages just to keep us from leaving.

I doubt I will ever see a 35% wage increase in my life ever again.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-01-30 15:31:51
Link | Quote | Reply

tl;dr get into accounting and then graduate only to see the market drop from beneath you.

RIP Architecture majors, circa '08. You really didn't build that.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-30 15:32:50
Link | Quote | Reply

tl;dr get into accounting and then graduate only to see the market drop from beneath you.

You don't even want to know how much CPAs make.....
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-01-30 15:43:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd consider fighting my way into accounting if I didn't have dyscalcula. It's not usually viewed in a positive light when numbers can invert themselves or change into completely different figures at a whim. I was forced to keep stats for my middle school basketball team and it's just a mercy that was useless data (because it certainly became useless letting me do it).
[+]
By Nazrious 2015-01-30 15:43:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Higher education should not be subsidized, guaranteed, or payed for by the government. The current situation places the government on the hook for what 3 trillion? in unsecured debt that, even with wage garnishment and tax return seizures, would not be recoverable. Best case scenario the government can get back the majority of principal owed.

Income based repayment has sky rocketed and there are more graduates every year than Jobs available every decade.

Less people need to go to college and MAYBE the middle class can start getting back on its feet.

Right now a 4 year degree and a dollar can get you a cup of coffee, if it is on sale.

As for lolelections... sheep say BAAAAAA.

Edit, for clarity: 3 trillion is with interest, and this goes to speak about the impossibility of recovering it if these debts go into default.

That's an argument about degree choice, not going to college.

The gov't shouldn't support higher ed? I guess less taxpayers is a good thing for those pulling down an income considering the cost/benefit on at least community college is essentially an extension of our public schooling programs.

HS diplomas are trash now. You need at least some collegiate education to scratch these days and thus gummint should be changing as the market dictates.

Wow, Context.

I said Less. Not none, but w/e.

we are talking about Gov. supporting it. Outside of running Suny/cuny gov. needs to step back and not subsidize loans, which allows banks to lend with out a care in the world, with out due diligence, and to people who may, more likely will, never be able to pay the money back.

Oh, and winning an adversarial proceeding is like winning the lotto, so in a way this only creates a slave (indentured servant to be exact) system.

but all you radical liberals keep on talking nonsense, support slavery go ahead. Explain how it is different, even though it is the same.

Personally I think its a pretty sick and sweet move on the gov.'s part make legislation to get people hooked with debt, make legislation that means said debt will be almost impossible to get rid of, take 10% of the salary from those people for decades.

here comes the semantic arguments.

So from a selfish perspective, my favorite, Gov. interference is bad, from a justice/feelz/civil rights/liberal perspective gov. interference is bad, from a financial perspective, only banks profit from this, so bad or good depends on if Nausi, KN, or Ram chimes in.

what benefit exactly does saturating the Job market bring?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-30 15:45:37
Link | Quote | Reply

dyscalculia
Welp, I learned a new word today.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-01-30 15:47:45
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-30 15:53:37
Link | Quote | Reply

To be honest, I wouldn't mind having government support higher education, if it wasn't for the retention rate being so damn bad as it is.

When at or about half of the freshmen population drops out within their first year in college because of various reason (main one being "it's too hard!"), that's something that the government can fix....

Just because it's available doesn't mean it's for everyone.........
By Nazrious 2015-01-30 16:04:03
Link | Quote | Reply

To be honest, I wouldn't mind having government support higher education, if it wasn't for the retention rate being so damn bad as it is.

When at or about half of the freshmen population drops out within their first year in college because of various reason (main one being "it's too hard!"), that's something that the government can fix....

Yeah, they can, its called Suny/Cuny. Cheap affordable/free college, that the gov can control how easy or hard it is.

However, the gov. Subsidizing bad debt is stupid. Have we all forgotten the housing crash? The near miss depression, which was only averted via bailout and legislation.

Current student loan system is 100x worse than sub prime loans.

"Hey here is 25k I know you are right out of high school and have no way of paying this back if anything goes wrong in the next 5 years, And your current income is less than 12k/ year." "Oh and come see me again next year, if you manage to keep a C average or better and not miss too many days of school, I will give you another 25k then."
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-01-30 16:06:48
Link | Quote | Reply

That's the core problem. And, yes, I'm saying that very proudly as a supporter of education.

Obama's plan to let people go to community college and get a 2 year degree for "free" (remembering that the caveat is maintaining good grades, which ought to be the caveat for all education and reflect on the student rather than the teachers) is fairly optimal. Most people need just a basic specialization like one gets from an associate's degree and it's why I grin every time one of my friends or acquaintances mentions they're going to the local community college.

Bachelor's degrees are for academics or people entering fields that require exceptional training. Physicians, veterinarians, lawyers, professors... you don't want to send an unvetted 20-year-old with a degree into these, even at an entry level. I'm less certain on accountants; they seem to fall into a second category where the basics might only need an associate's degree but promotion prospects stall without further training, which would include lots of computer-related jobs. People like me, who possess more limited practical/marketable skillsets, are the ones the ivory towers were made for. If only I liked teaching, I've been told I'd be a great professor, but until then, I was forced to collect a piece of paper because I'm barely allowed to flip burgers anymore without it. DATA ENTRY in my city requires people with a bachelor's degree... that's literally something a chimp could be trained to do. Literally, not figuratively.

My favorite anecdote is about how many kids I met in college pursuing a communications degree. I asked every single one of them what the hell communications was and not a single one could answer it. And, depressingly, most were less capable of communication than the average middle-school drop-out pursuing a "career" in hip-hop.

And let's not get into the money-hole that is pointless university athletics. My alma mater may as well be a football franchise rather than home to some of the top graduate schools in the country (I won't deny that it is a fairly middle-of-the-road undergraduate school). Because going to school is all about FOOTBALL!
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-01-30 16:18:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Mitt not running - Politico

DARNIT.

I even ordered months worth of popcorn.
You can still use it for Jeb Bush.
That is not going to be near as much fun.
By Nazrious 2015-01-30 16:19:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I have no problem with free schools, so long as that free is limited to Suny/Cuny. Paying private schools from the gov. Pocket only does bad things.

As for school athletics, sadly this is the only part of college education that has a stringent admission process. Also it is the only field not on the teet of gov. Subsidy loans.

But this is only because colleges rake in the big bucks from it.

~Go Red storm~ /sarcasm off.

College is not about learning anymore. Its about networking, and branding. Hell anyone can get a BA it is not hard, just have to not be lazy, and be able to dedicate 5 hours a day (less if online/ part time).

College Administration is only concerned about turning colleges into businesses solely for profit. The more the school makes the more they make.

Gov. Likes the good PR.

Big Business gets cheaper labor.

The common person trying to do good for theirself has a lot stacked against them.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-30 16:21:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm less certain on accountants; they seem to fall into a second category where the basics might only need an associate's degree but promotion prospects stall without further training, which would include lots of computer-related jobs.
Please do not confuse bookkeepers with accountants.

Bookkeepers would need the technical skills for inputting information, however accountants require much more than the technical skills, as we need to know reporting and information required based by the field and purpose, along with the different scenarios and hypothetical situations that goes with it. Accountants also need to understand the theories behind the methodology and laws associated that comes to the reporting and handling of said information.

I'm sorry if I come off as a little rough on this, but you are greatly underscoring my profession. That is like calling an architect somebody who creates and plays with models all of the time.

DATA ENTRY in my city requires people with a bachelor's degree... that's literally something a chimp could be trained to do. Literally, not figuratively.
I agree with you on that.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-30 16:23:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Hell anyone can get a BA it is not hard,
Getting a BA in a field worthwhile is hard.

A liberal arts BA may seem easy, and is compared to a BBA, but nevertheless it still takes commitment to do it.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-01-30 16:36:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll bash on the liberal arts degrees as much as the next person, but at least that's way more fun than arguing against the idea that the government shouldn't take interest in the country's future.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-01-30 16:37:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I almost died. I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything, I'd be cleaning my laptop for hours.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-30 16:38:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
I'll bash on the liberal arts degrees as much as the next person, but at least that's way more fun than arguing against the idea that the government shouldn't take interest in the country's future.
There's "taking interest in" and there's "throwing money at."

Are you saying that Obama's plan isn't throwing money at the problem?
By Jetackuu 2015-01-30 16:44:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Have no idea what Obama's "plan" is, don't care either.

Unless it involved student loan forgiveness for STEM careers, then I'll look into it, as I'd love to lose that 30k~ in debt.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-30 16:47:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Have no idea what Obama's "plan" is, don't care either.

Unless it involved student loan forgiveness for STEM careers, then I'll look into it, as I'd love to lose that 30k~ in debt.
The synopsis of his plan is basically making community colleges free to everyone.

It's not the community colleges that have such a high dropout rate, and most of the classes aren't transferable from a community college to a 4 year university, so it basically will just be a waste of time imo.
By Jetackuu 2015-01-30 16:55:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure what systems you're familiar with, but VCCS has transfer agreements to several universities. (VCCS is the Virginia Community College System).

Really if you have decent grades and fit in the range, and filled out your FASFA, it's more or less free anyway, just have to cover your other living expenses, so no I don't have a problem with that. Assuming of course it kept with the same requirements for degree progression and gpa that regular financial aid does, and I see no reason as to why it wouldn't.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-01-30 17:00:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I have no problem with free schools, so long as that free is limited to Suny/Cuny. Paying private schools from the gov. Pocket only does bad things....
Tell that to the Germans.
Want a top notch college degree but can't afford it? Head to Germany CNN

Quote:
If you want a world-class education without the hefty price tag it usually carries, it's time you pack your bags and head to Germany.

The country's federal state of Lower Saxony became the last region to scrap tuition fees in mid-October, which means that studying in Germany is now completely free even for international students.

So wherever you come from, doors of elite institutions like the University of Heidelberg and Technical University of Munich, both among the world's top 100 universities, are flung wide open if you're a gifted student....
Also:

7 countries where Americans can study at universities, in English, for free (or almost free)
Washington Post

Quote:
Since 1985, U.S. college costs have surged by about 500 percent, and tuition fees keep rising. In Germany, they've done the opposite.

The country's universities have been tuition-free since the beginning of October, when Lower Saxony became the last state to scrap the fees. Tuition rates were always low in Germany, but now the German government fully funds the education of its citizens -- and even of foreigners.

Explaining the change, Dorothee Stapelfeldt, a senator in the northern city of Hamburg, said tuition fees "discourage young people who do not have a traditional academic family background from taking up study. It is a core task of politics to ensure that young women and men can study with a high quality standard free of charge in Germany."

What might interest potential university students in the United States is that Germany offers some programs in English -- and it's not the only country. Let's take a look at the surprising -- and very cheap -- alternatives to pricey American college degrees.

Germany

Germany's higher education landscape primarily consists of internationally well-ranked public universities, some of which receive special funding because the government deems them "excellent institutions." What's more, Americans can earn a German undergraduate or graduate degree without speaking a word of German and without having to pay a single dollar of tuition fees: About 900 undergraduate or graduate degrees are offered exclusively in English, with courses ranging from engineering to social sciences. For some German degrees, you don't even have to formally apply.

In fact, the German government would be happy if you decided to make use of its higher education system. The vast degree offerings in English are intended to prepare German students to communicate in a foreign language, but also to attract foreign students, because the country needs more skilled workers.

Finland

This northern European country charges no tuition fees, and it offers a large number of university programs in English. However, the Finnish government amiably reminds interested foreigners that they "are expected to independently cover all everyday living expenses." In other words: Finland will finance your education, but not your afternoon coffee break.

France

There are at least 76 English-language undergraduate programs in France, but many are offered by private universities and are expensive. Many more graduate-level courses, however, are designed for English-speaking students, and one out of every three French doctoral degrees is awarded to a foreign student.

"It is no longer needed to be fluent in French to study in France," according to the government agency Campus France. The website studyportals.eu provides a comprehensive list of the available courses in France and other European countries.

Public university programs charge only a small tuition fee of about 200 dollars for most programs. Other, more elite institutions have adopted a model that requires students to pay fees that are based on the income of their parents. Children of unemployed parents can study for free, while more privileged families have to pay more. This rule is only valid for citizens of the European Union, but even the maximum fees (about $14,000 per year) are often much lower than U.S. tuition fees. Some universities, such as Sciences Po Paris, offer dual degrees with U.S. colleges.

Sweden

This Scandinavian country is among the world's wealthiest, and its beautiful landscape beckons. It also offers some of the world's most cost-efficient college degrees. More than 900 listed programs in 35 universities are taught in English. However, only Ph.D programs are tuition-free.

Norway

Norwegian universities do not charge tuition fees for international students. The Norwegian higher education system is similar to the one in the United States: Class sizes are small and professors are easily approachable. Many Norwegian universities offer programs taught in English. American students, for example, could choose "Advanced Studies for Solo Instrumentalists or Chamber Music Ensembles" or "Development Geography."

But don't expect to save money in Norway, which has one of the world's highest costs of living for expats. And be careful where you decide to study. "Winters in general are quite different in different parts of the country, with the north having hard, arctic winters, and the southwest mostly having mild, wet average European winters," the Norwegian Center for International Cooperation in Education notes.

Slovenia

About 150 English programs are available, and foreign nationals only pay an insignificant registration fee when they enroll. Slovenia borders Italy and Croatia, among Europe's most popular vacation destinations. However, Times Higher Education, a weekly magazine based in London, did not list one Slovenian university in its recent World University Ranking.

Brazil

Some Brazilian courses are taught in English, and state universities charge only minor registration fees. Times Higher Education ranks two Brazilian universities among the world's top 400: the University of Sao Paulo and the State University of Campinas. However, Brazil might be better suited for exchange students seeking a cultural experience rather than a degree.

"It is worth remembering that most of USP activities are carried out in Portuguese," the University of Sao Paulo reminds applicants on its website.
By Nazrious 2015-01-30 17:37:48
Link | Quote | Reply

American government, paying American private schools.

I would encourage students to take advantage of such offerings, if it were feasible for them to do so and the degrees had potential to transfer back to America, if they were planning on returning.

Also, Germany has unions (even walmart workers are unionized) that work and are not just leeches/ cancer creators.

American unions... yeah derail if we go into it.

I will leave it at Germany, and other countries are not America. Just because it works for them does not mean it can even be implemented, let a lone work, for Americans.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-30 17:41:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure what systems you're familiar with, but VCCS has transfer agreements to several universities. (VCCS is the Virginia Community College System).

Really if you have decent grades and fit in the range, and filled out your FASFA, it's more or less free anyway, just have to cover your other living expenses, so no I don't have a problem with that. Assuming of course it kept with the same requirements for degree progression and gpa that regular financial aid does, and I see no reason as to why it wouldn't.
Not every system is the same, and a lot of (private, non-state) schools don't accept community college credit unless it's from a specific one.

I mean, sure, if you know what you are doing, what Obama proposes is fine. But can you honestly tell us that college students know what they are doing?
[+]
By Nazrious 2015-01-30 17:55:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Not every system is the same, and a lot of (private, non-state) schools don't accept community college credit unless it's from a specific one.

I mean, sure, if you know what you are doing, what Obama proposes is fine. But can you honestly tell us that college students know what they are doing?

almost any real community college credits will transfer to Suny/Cuny, problem is in what form. Often you end up losing credits to fit a particular degree path.

As for private colleges you will have a much harder time getting them to accept credits from community colleges, hell even Cuny.