Mittamorphosis, What A Long Strange Trip It's Been

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Mittamorphosis, what a long strange trip it's been
Mittamorphosis, what a long strange trip it's been
First Page 2 3
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-01-26 20:37:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Why Liberals Should Embrace Romney the Progressive Champion - Mother Jones a proud member of the (vanishing) liberal media

Quote:
It is time for liberals to cheer Mitt Romney.

Not because his possible entry into the 2016 Republican presidential contest could cause chaos for the GOP. But because Romney, apparently seeing the error of his "severely conservative" ways, has become a progressive crusader. Initial news reports noted that Romney was telling Republicans privately that should he mount a third presidential bid he would run to the right of former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, an all-but-announced contender. Yet in public remarks, Romney has been sounding like a born-again lefty....
And so much more.

He is starting to sound like the Rockefeller Republican he once was.

But can a born again progressive Republican survive the race to the right that the Republican primary season has become?

Stay tuned, same bat time, same bat channel.

/popcorn
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-01-26 21:10:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, there is the obvious problem that the type of Republican that it takes to win the primary isn't the type of Republican that it takes to win the general election. I would rather see the real Mitt Romney try to win an election without pandering to extremes, so hopefully he tries that if he tries at all.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-01-30 10:32:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Mitt not running - Politico

DARNIT.

I even ordered months worth of popcorn.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-01-30 10:33:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Would the REAL Mitt Romney, please stand up?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-30 10:34:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »

DARNIT.

You can still use it for Jeb Bush.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-01-30 10:36:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
Would the REAL Mitt Romney, please stand up?

That IS the REAL Mitt Romney. He's not exactly a hard-and-fast beliefs guy except when it comes to believing in his money.

*shrug*

It's not the best policy, but I suppose it's not the worst either.
By Ramyrez 2015-01-30 10:38:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

DARNIT.

If it didn't end with one of these people becoming the (at least in figurehead position) leader of our country, I'd be more amused.

Neither party has a candidate worth a damn, and as was pointed out to me previously, the only person I'd be okay with running -- Elizabeth Warren -- has stated she won't run, and that's probably for the best as she can probably actually -get more done- in her current position.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-01-30 13:40:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

DARNIT.

If it didn't end with one of these people becoming the (at least in figurehead position) leader of our country, I'd be more amused.

Neither party has a candidate worth a damn, and as was pointed out to me previously, the only person I'd be okay with running -- Elizabeth Warren -- has stated she won't run, and that's probably for the best as she can probably actually -get more done- in her current position.

Lie-a-watha?

The fake native american who champions to put more of the public on the hook for higher education costs? The same higher education costs like her 300k salary at Harvard for teaching one class?

That Elizabeth Warren?

How can you not see the scam?
By Bloodrose 2015-01-30 13:41:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Because, it's not in the Truth and Justice thread that got locked.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-01-30 14:15:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »

DARNIT.

Lie-a-watha?

The fake native american who champions to put more of the public on the hook for higher education costs? The same higher education costs like her 300k salary at Harvard for teaching one class?

That Elizabeth Warren?

How can you not see the scam?

I've done the higher education cost song and dance with you before, you clearly had no interest in changing your way of thinking, I'm not wasting my time again.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-30 14:21:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I've done the higher education cost song and dance with you before, you clearly had no interest in changing your way of thinking, I'm not wasting my time again.
I think what he is pointing out is how she is using legislation for personal gain.

Conflicts of Interest.
By Ramyrez 2015-01-30 14:24:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I think what he is pointing out is how she is using legislation for personal gain.

Conflicts of Interest.

If you say so. It's a pretty tenuous link, given I suspect most people at Harvard aren't there on private student loans, but rather are trust fund babies or on scholarships, or some other similar setup. Most of the people that would benefit from her legislation are going to be going to state schools or similarly priced schools.

That said, all of Washington is pretty much one big conflict of interest given all but a handful of the members of congress have private holdings that could be influenced by their work.
By Nazrious 2015-01-30 14:34:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Conflicts of Interest.

If you say so. It's a pretty tenuous link, given I suspect most people at Harvard aren't there on private student loans, but rather are trust fund babies or on scholarships, or some other similar setup. Most of the people that would benefit from her legislation are going to be going to state schools or similarly priced schools.

That said, all of Washington is pretty much one big conflict of interest given all but a handful of the members of congress have private holdings that could be influenced by their work.

Higher education should not be subsidized, guaranteed, or payed for by the government. The current situation places the government on the hook for what 3 trillion? in unsecured debt that, even with wage garnishment and tax return seizures, would not be recoverable. Best case scenario the government can get back the majority of principal owed.

Income based repayment has sky rocketed and there are more graduates every year than Jobs available every decade.

Less people need to go to college and MAYBE the middle class can start getting back on its feet.

Right now a 4 year degree and a dollar can get you a cup of coffee, if it is on sale.

As for lolelections... sheep say BAAAAAA.

Edit, for clarity: 3 trillion is with interest, and this goes to speak about the impossibility of recovering it if these debts go into default.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-01-30 14:36:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Less people going to college and going where? Skilled trades? The deficits there are only the result of former tradesmen encouraging their children to go to college and once filled up become a crab barrel of too many plumbers chasing too little work.

Most of the open jobs are in high skilled, high stress positions like medical, air traffic and other jobs that need more than a 4 year degree and years of experience. If your kid dreams to direct air traffic then you're in luck!
[+]
By Nazrious 2015-01-30 14:39:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Less people going to college and going where? Skilled trades? The deficits there are only the result of former tradesmen encouraging their children to go to college and once filled up become a crab barrel of too many plumbers chasing too little work.

Most of the open jobs are in high skilled, high stress positions like medical, air traffic and other jobs that need more than a 4 year degree and years of experience. If your kid dreams to direct air traffic then you're in luck!

nah they can just do the Jobs they end up with anyways.

Retail and maybe get lucky and get a government job. Basically 95% of the 4 yr degree grads I know are working some form of retail or got lucky and got a Fed/state/City job. Almost none of these positions require a degree, and those that do maybe an associates (or comparable experience).
By Pantafernando 2015-01-30 14:41:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Mithramorphosis?

I approve.
By Ramyrez 2015-01-30 14:45:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Nazrious said: »

Retail and maybe get lucky and get a government job. Basically 95% of the 4 yr degree grads I know are working some form of retail or got lucky and got a Fed/state/City job. Almost none of these positions require a degree, and those that do maybe an associates (or comparable experience).

The more superior you act and the more anecdotal ***you spew the more in becomes glaringly obvious how little you actually understand about any of the conversations into which you interject yourself.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-01-30 14:53:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Hopefully you haven't given any impressionable youth this awful advice.

Yeah, forget about considering the costs of college, what you want to do or market demand for your job - which may change during training - you don't need a degree in an international job market that demands at least a 4 year degree! Just wave your HS diploma around and you'll be feasting on $9/hr jerbs in no time.

4srs bro? I know cynicism is popular these days but telling kids not to do college even if they secure a decent job amidst online options, community college and other affordable options is just nonsensical. Trade school? Technical School? Something?
[+]
By Nazrious 2015-01-30 14:59:39
Link | Quote | Reply

The more superior I act and the more anecdotal ***I spew the more IT becomes glaringly obvious how little I actually understand about any of the conversations into which I interject myself.

Fixed.

There is nothing anecdotal about my statement, most of the 4 yr grads I know, around 95% are working retail or for the government. I am not talking community college grads either.

Just peruse the requirement on most gov. Jobs very few actually require 4 yr degrees, and if you meant for retail... wut? is all I can say.

But hey if you think a glut of available and starving grads, all fighting over the small amount of jobs every year, is a good thing, then well see above.

inb4 some one posts that x amount of new Jobs are created every year. No, that is not accurate.
1) what % of those are entry level?
2) what % of those are continuous recruitment?
3) What % of those pay over 26k/yr? (something you can make in retail)
4) What % of those are private and not gov.?
5) What % of those actually require a 4 yr degree or better?
6) What % of those are not in some obscure field, or requires a specific degree path?

Basically what % of those are actually accessible to a college grad, simply by virtue of graduating form college? Today if you roll the dice wrong and pick a field everyone else does you end up with tons of competition. Or worse you pick a field that is dead and there is simply no work to be had until someone currently working dies/retires.

So Please tell me what 4 yr degree has a high chance of landing a person a Job?
By Nazrious 2015-01-30 15:00:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Hopefully you haven't given any impressionable youth this awful advice.

Yeah, forget about considering the costs of college, what you want to do or market demand for your job - which may change during training - you don't need a degree in an international job market that demands at least a 4 year degree! Just wave your HS diploma around and you'll be feasting on $9/hr jerbs in no time.

4srs bro? I know cynicism is popular these days but telling kids not to do college even if they secure a decent job amidst online options, community college and other affordable options is just nonsensical. Trade school? Technical School? Something?

I said college, not trade or tech schools, do not put words in my mouth.

And if som1 asked me I would tell them to think long and hard and find a field they can def. find work in, like actuarial or nursing / PA. But for something like a BA??? fck out of here with that foolish noise.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-01-30 15:03:24
Link | Quote | Reply

For every 1,000 children forced to attend high school, only 600 will graduate.

Out of those 600, only 300 will attempt to go to college.

Out of those 300, 200 of them will/can only attend college if they qualify for large student loans that will haunt them to the end of time.

Out of those 200, only 80 will ever obtain a 4 year degree.

Out of those 80 four year college graduates with massive debt(s):

50 will take the first full time job they get out of college in order to 'start' their life down a spiral of regret, apathy, and security in laziness.

20 of them will never find full time employment and eventually fill up the bottom ring of 'upper' society.

The remaining 10 will peruse a higher form of education past a BA/BS.

Only 2 of those 10 will obtain their post graduate degree.

One gets a sweet job doing what they love, the other is never heard from again.
By Nazrious 2015-01-30 15:05:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »

Out of those 300, 200 of them will/can only attend college if this qualify for large student loans that will haunt them to the end of time.

50 will take the first full time job they get out of college in order to 'start' their life down a spiral of regret, apathy, and security in laziness.

20 of them will never find full time employment and eventually fill up the bottom ring of 'upper' society.

Then they have a chance to secure a job worth having.

Fixed for you, nothing is guaranteed.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-30 15:07:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Out of those 300, 200 of them will/can only attend college if they qualify for large student loans that will haunt them to the end of time.

You mean I beat the odds and got the job I love with the degree I wanted in?

And so did my coworkers?
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-01-30 15:10:46
Link | Quote | Reply

And so did my coworkers?
Congratulations then, you're all a bunch of 1/1000ers working together!
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-01-30 15:12:29
Link | Quote | Reply

But for something like a BA??? fck out of here with that foolish noise.

Right. The arts, literature, history, all worthless.

How about you get the *** out of here with your foolish noise? Clearly someone of your intellect could be putting in a little more hard work making your millions.
By Nazrious 2015-01-30 15:12:44
Link | Quote | Reply

And so did my coworkers?

You don't have a grad. degree?

well there u go, but wait you have bachelors in accounting no?

I really don't think his figures were hard and fast, and even so accounting for all the fields and degrees out there it would still likely hold.

Out of all the people who take out student loans, only a small percentage secure meaningful or lucrative work, let alone both.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-01-30 15:14:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Out of those 300, 200 of them will/can only attend college if this qualify for large student loans that will haunt them to the end of time.

Then they have a chance to secure a job worth having.

Fixed for you, nothing is guaranteed.

And yet you're the one pitching not getting a BA? Which is a prereq for MA tier jobs or doctoral level training? Either way you slice it, you need at least a BA to be considered above the joke tier unless you go down the skilled trade path or are from the old school of employment. Even an entrepreneur is going to be polishing up that degree while operating a business or at least acquiring those same skills.

As for careers where a degree is good? Anything IT, nursing, aviation, engineering, business, marketing are solid choices but of course what matters more than the degree is the connections. And a solid plan for what you're gonna do. That's where those internships and relationship management gigs come into play.

(Wish I knew that years ago.)

I think the lesson learned from the "you can be anything!" years of approaching college is challenging kids as far back as HS to think long and hard critically about what they want to do once college hits. This whole lie of "ignore costs, it'll pay itself!" is part to blame for being 100k+ in debt flipping coffee at your local cafe. Rather than look at the money we all got caught up in the experience/social masturbation of going away to college only to come back with a philosophy degree. Great, you like philosophy? What are you gonna do with it?

(And frankly some kids just ain't college material. Technical school is just as useful.)

Also, the sorry state of state colleges / community college bloat needs to be addressed. Decay that's been ignored etc. Private college is pretty much off limits if you aren't born with gold flowing through your veins.
[+]
By Nazrious 2015-01-30 15:16:28
Link | Quote | Reply

How about you get the *** out of here with your foolish noise? Clearly someone of your intellect could be putting in a little more hard work making your millions.

Look guy*, told you to stop putting words in my mouth, you are sounding like a moron.

In context, because this is a thread with previous posts, and an overall topic.

What I said:
The gov. should not support higher ed.
BAs are worthless (in regards to finding a career/Job)

Also what Job are you finding with a BA???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Last time I check a BA alone would land u in McDonalds, you might be thinking of a Graduate Degree, but you know...

Quote:
I don't expect people like you to understand.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-01-30 15:17:26
Link | Quote | Reply

A degree is only as good as how you apply it. You can get the most in demand degree and if you're not gonna make the correct moves to apply it you'll be washing cars in no time.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-01-30 15:18:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Out of all the people who take out student loans, only a small percentage secure meaningful or lucrative work, let alone both.
That was my point, lol.

The numbers were... *gasp* made up!
First Page 2 3