Scientists: Human Activity Has Pushed Earth Beyond

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Scientists: Human activity has pushed Earth beyond
Scientists: Human activity has pushed Earth beyond
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2015-01-26 21:03:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Verda said: »
Someone in my family works for BP. Up in Alaska they just recently let go a ton their employees, and they are still feeling the effects of that oil spill in some ways. Maybe not enough, but from what I've been told by my family member, the bosses think that BP isn't going to last 20 more years.

How recently was that? Could it have anything to do with the recent fall in gas prices? Because honestly I can see gas prices being slashed in half hurting their profits more than anything else.
By Nazrious 2015-01-27 07:08:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
Someone in my family works for BP. Up in Alaska they just recently let go a ton their employees, and they are still feeling the effects of that oil spill in some ways. Maybe not enough, but from what I've been told by my family member, the bosses think that BP isn't going to last 20 more years.

How recently was that? Could it have anything to do with the recent fall in gas prices? Because honestly I can see gas prices being slashed in half hurting their profits more than anything else.

Gas prices fall in the winter months, its a very reliable high in summer low in winter cycle.

BP is not going anywhere.
By Ramyrez 2015-01-27 07:42:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
'Tis a metaphor

Your first mistake was assuming Nausi was ready to handle simile and metaphor.
By Ramyrez 2015-01-27 07:48:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Just when you thought it was safe to not feel guilty about your existence, here come the wing bats to remind you that being a human is a cancer on some fictitious personification of a planet.

Talk about making the rules based on your feelz...

Forget for a minute the "fictitious personification of a planet" (despite that's at least a passable description, if not entirely accurate, for what "god" is that so many people seem to believe in).

I live in the areas being fracked. When these *** leave and I'm in my early 50s -- or, if I were to move away from the state to somewhere fracking isn't, then others of my age -- their shitass terrible environmental practices are going to be an eyesore and health hazard that I have to deal with, financially and otherwise.

So even if you disregard the damage to the planet from "the feels" aspect, as you insist on calling it an an obsequeously dismissive fashion, there's a very real, very pragmatic factor here of my state's resources, landscape, health, and ecology as pertains to citizens being completely *** with.

That's not okay.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2015-01-27 08:09:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Nazrious said: »

Gas prices fall in the winter months, its a very reliable high in summer low in winter cycle.

I've been paying for gas for 15 years. I know what the cycles are, this is no cycle. Winter does not magically make gas go from nearly $4 all the way down to $1.60.
By Nazrious 2015-01-27 08:20:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been paying for gas for 15 years. I know what the cycles are, this is no cycle. Winter does not magically make gas go from nearly $4 all the way down to $1.60.

Well in part it does, the second part is that BP is starting to get ahead of all the oil spill expenses. Those expenses were simply passed along to we the consumers.

Also in the US its not as drastic, here in the north east.
$3.75 down to $2.20. However prices never got over $3.25 prior to the gulf spill. Also military activities have diminished globally, for the US anyways.
By Jetackuu 2015-01-27 09:28:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Just when you thought it was safe to not feel guilty about your existence, here come the wing bats to remind you that being a human is a cancer on some fictitious personification of a planet.

Talk about making the rules based on your feelz...

Forget for a minute the "fictitious personification of a planet" (despite that's at least a passable description, if not entirely accurate, for what "god" is that so many people seem to believe in).

I live in the areas being fracked. When these *** leave and I'm in my early 50s -- or, if I were to move away from the state to somewhere fracking isn't, then others of my age -- their shitass terrible environmental practices are going to be an eyesore and health hazard that I have to deal with, financially and otherwise.

So even if you disregard the damage to the planet from "the feels" aspect, as you insist on calling it an an obsequeously dismissive fashion, there's a very real, very pragmatic factor here of my state's resources, landscape, health, and ecology as pertains to citizens being completely *** with.

That's not okay.

Yeah: I'm glad they voted them away in the mountains close to here, not saying I don't have my issues with the area, and I'd like to get away for a bit, but eventually I'll probably come back, mostly due to the low traffic.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2015-01-27 09:54:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Well in part it does, the second part is that BP is starting to get ahead of all the oil spill expenses. Those expenses were simply passed along to we the consumers.

Also in the US its not as drastic, here in the north east.
$3.75 down to $2.20. However prices never got over $3.25 prior to the gulf spill. Also military activities have diminished globally, for the US anyways.

I live in Texas. Highest "recent" price I've seen is 3.89 and the lowest I paid was 1.60 a few days ago. Granted, I get that the US average is a bit different, so let's be more accurate about this.

Historical averaged over the past 3 years

There are several reasons for gas prices falling but you can see from the trends the difference winter generally makes and then the recent very large drop. There are several things that affect gas prices.

Probably the biggest reason I can see right now for the drops is the combination of rising US based production and OPEC not limiting their supply. OPEC generally restricts production to artificially inflate prices.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-01-27 09:59:11
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By FaeQueenCory 2015-01-27 09:59:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I...
What even is this ***.

Uhg.... This is why I want to slap my peers sometimes.... Because it's our fault.
We dumb ourselves down to talk to people who haven't had any science in their life since High School...
And these are the results.

Listen up, liberals and conservatives, you BOTH are full of ***and Science is on neither of your side.
So please stop misunderstanding what we scientists tell you...
Even though it's our own fault... We dumb down our findings before we share them with the people instead of demanding the average joe to be literate to our level. (An audacious demand, but one that would have never seen this climate change ***.)

First, conservatives, you are guilty of the sin of separation.
Whether you like it or not, humans exist as a part of the planet.
Believing that our actions do nothing is the height of dumbassery.
*** COWS, for God's sake, contribute to climate change!
We exist within this planet's bounds.
Our actions change the world.

And on that note, liberals, you're guilty of the sin of pride.
We are not gods.
Barring actual physical destruction, humans lack the capability of "killing the planet".
Guess what. We aren't.
"But what about the polar bears!? They are dying because of us!!"
No. They aren't.
They are dying for the same reason that ALL hyperspecialized species die out.
They overinvested in their evolution qualities that lead to them becoming polar bears.

Both of y'all are dumb as hell for one simple fact:
Do you see 50ft centipedes outside?
No. No you *** don't. Because there's not enough 02 to support such sized insects in the atmosphere.
And why isn't there enough?
Mostly because of algae.
Ultimately they control the phases our planet goes through.

And in the eyes of the Earth, humans are no different than ants.

Conservatives believe we are some separate force... A sin of pride.
But we are ants.
Liberals believe we are some sort of god, capable of handling the planet as one handles a piece of paper... Also a sin of pride.
But we are ants.

The planet is bigger than us, children. (Dear God in Heaven, did FF7 teach y'all NOTHING??)
It was here before us, it will be here after us, and while it may change its face... And we ARE a part of that change, Life is bigger than us and our pedantic feelings.

God am I sick of people claiming Science is on their side...
When Science is on neither side.

(And before any dumbass says something: yeah, cutting down forests is "bad" because they give us O2... But that is, ultimately, irrelevant... Because humans should be working on sustainable practices... Literally modeling technologies and technological practices after natural processes. And all the "energy" problems America and the world has... Could be solved with ***. 100% sustainable. SUPER fuel efficient, CH4, and SUPER easy to harvest.)
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-01-27 10:03:41
Link | Quote | Reply

and you use too many words chatty cathy!

ain't nobody got time for that .gif

By Ramyrez 2015-01-27 10:38:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »

My legal team has advised me to not take you up on this offer, or indicate in any way that I was considering doing so.

But, you know.

It isn't agreeing to your offer to suggest that even if we don't do it, it is an option.
By Nazrious 2015-01-27 12:02:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Shiva.Nikolce said: »

My legal team has advised me to not take you up on this offer, or indicate in any way that I was considering doing so.

But, you know.

It isn't agreeing to your offer to suggest that even if we don't do it, it is an option.

Soon as my ultra nice Android body is ready we can talk.
By Bloodrose 2015-01-27 12:28:01
Link | Quote | Reply

with your luck, it'll be the body of an Android phone.