Scientists: Human Activity Has Pushed Earth Beyond

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Scientists: Human activity has pushed Earth beyond
Scientists: Human activity has pushed Earth beyond
First Page 2 3 4
 Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2015-01-25 22:13:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Scientists: Human activity has pushed Earth beyond four of nine ‘planetary boundaries’

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/scientists-human-activity-has-pushed-earth-beyond-four-of-nine-planetary-boundaries/2015/01/15/f52b61b6-9b5e-11e4-a7ee-526210d665b4_story.html

Interesting article, I wonder how much longer we have before the proverbial sh*t hits the fan?

Ten things in nature that could vanish before your kids see them

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2014/09/24/ten-things-in-nature-that-could-vanish-before-your-kids-see-them/
[+]
By Altimaomega 2015-01-25 22:44:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Lets make more laws, regulate, and tax the hell out of more stuff, that seems to be working well.
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2015-01-25 22:55:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Ummm, it has, actually.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2015-01-25 23:03:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll admit a few of the species on that second link surprised me, namely the bee, monarch butterflies, and polar bears.

I will also admit, ignorantly, that I didn't even realize we had already pushed out boundaries this far, yet.... humans suck. <.<;
By Bloodrose 2015-01-25 23:12:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Whoa, whoa, whoa, guys.

Let's not muddy up this debate with such things like facts, and verifiable facts, and science.

Gotta go with them Feelz, yo!
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-01-25 23:41:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
Whoa, whoa, whoa, guys.

Let's not muddy up this debate with such things like facts, and verifiable facts, and science.

Gotta go with them Feelz, yo!

Quote:
The researchers focused on nine separate planetary boundaries first identified by scientists in a 2009 paper. These boundaries set theoretical limits on changes to the environment, and include ozone depletion, freshwater use, ocean acidification, atmospheric aerosol pollution and the introduction of exotic chemicals and modified organisms.

So, we've crossed four theoretical boundaries. Sounds like cut and dry facts to me, definitely no feelz involved. Guess I should prep my bunker.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-01-25 23:44:03
Link | Quote | Reply

The facts and scientific evidence that laws, penalties, fines, and other taxes for dumping waste, have actually had a positive effect. You know, those facts.

But feel free to interpret what was said to fit such a narrow-minded narrative.

Cus you know, feelz.
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2015-01-25 23:45:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, who needs ozone and water, that ***'s for pussies. Bring on Earth: Hard mode!
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-01-25 23:47:56
Link | Quote | Reply

The facts and scientific evidence that laws, penalties, fines, and other taxes for dumping waste, have actually had a positive effect. You know, those facts.

But feel free to interpret what was said to fit such a narrow-minded narrative.

Cus you know, feelz.

In some cases they have had a positive effect, yes. In other cases they have put unnecessary burdens on companies and consumers and have had little to show for the efforts. Once you drown out the shouts of the extremists, somewhere there's a happy medium that actually makes sense.

Edit: How's that for narrow-minded?
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-01-25 23:51:51
Link | Quote | Reply

That's actually a much better, more moderate response. The kind of response I've grown to expect from you personally.

The prior response was not something I would ever think to attribute to you at all.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-01-25 23:55:38
Link | Quote | Reply

That's actually a much better, more moderate response. The kind of response I've grown to expect from you personally.

The prior response was not something I would ever think to attribute to you at all.

Sometimes I'm too cynical for my own good, I guess.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-01-25 23:55:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
In other cases they have put unnecessary burdens on companies and consumers and have had little to show for the efforts.
Such as...?
[+]
By Michiiru 2015-01-26 00:01:26
Link | Quote | Reply

That's ok, I didn't want to sleep tonight anyways.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-01-26 00:10:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
In other cases they have put unnecessary burdens on companies and consumers and have had little to show for the efforts.
Such as...?

I read an article a while back about a guy who worked some 30 years in an environmental agency. He detailed all of the problems that they faced due to the money being used poorly, over-staffing, having to answer to politicians, corruption, inefficient policies, etc. I'll have to find the article again, but if someone with that much experience thought that some of the laws were doing more harm than good, I'm willing to accept that as a valid opinion. But hey, good luck convincing me that all of the government regulations are awesome and always the best course of action.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2015-01-26 00:29:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone who says all regulations are accurate and for the best is *** stupid. Anyone who says all regulations are a bad idea and the free market is utopian is even more stupid.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-01-26 00:42:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Such as...?

I read an article a while back about a guy who worked some 30 years in an environmental agency. He detailed all of the problems that they faced due to the money being used poorly, over-staffing, having to answer to politicians, corruption, inefficient policies, etc. I'll have to find the article again, but if someone with that much experience thought that some of the laws were doing more harm than good, I'm willing to accept that as a valid opinion. But hey, good luck convincing me that all of the government regulations are awesome and always the best course of action.

Speaking of happy mediums... there is some place between environmental extremism and deregulate everything.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2015-01-26 00:45:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't even think of any environmental extremism that's ever been proposed on this board. I mean, I've seen plenty on Facebook and from certain friends in real life, but I can't think of a single regular member that's proposed anything that amounts to environmentally extreme.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-01-26 00:49:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Thus the strawman used to drag any potential solution backwards into uselessness by proposing a supposed "middle ground".
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-01-26 00:50:10
Link | Quote | Reply

For some, not letting energy companies dump oil directly into the ocean is extreme.

Thus the strawman used to drag any potential solution backwards into uselessness by proposing a supposed "middle ground".

It's a lot easier to get your way when you choose the most extreme stance and make your opponent's moderate stances out to be the opposite extreme. Then the middle ground is squarely in your territory and you can accuse them of being unwilling to compromise if they stay in the logical middle ground.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2015-01-26 01:20:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
For some, not letting energy companies dump oil directly into the ocean is extreme.

It's a lot easier to get your way when you choose the most extreme stance and make your opponent's moderate stances out to be the opposite extreme. Then the middle ground is squarely in your territory and you can accuse them of being unwilling to compromise if they stay in the logical middle ground.

Wow, You just described every left-wing poster in P&R.. Good Job.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-01-26 01:22:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Altimaomega said: »
Odin.Jassik said: »

Wow, You just described every single post I ever made in P&R.. Good Job.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-01-26 01:54:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally I don't trust either side to do environmental regulations correctly. Unchained, I think they would both wreak havoc in their own ways. With the government being as inefficient and corrupt as ever, I'm almost willing to say that the joint efforts between Dems and 'Pubs to destroy each others' efforts is about as good as we can get when it comes to protecting the environment without screwing over the economy in the process.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2015-01-26 01:57:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally I don't trust either side to do environmental regulations correctly. Unchained, I think they would both wreak havoc in their own ways. With the government being as inefficient and corrupt as ever, I'm almost willing to say that the joint efforts between Dems and 'Pubs to destroy each others' efforts is about as good as we can get when it comes to protecting the environment without screwing over the economy in the process.

Exactly, about the only true middle ground that can be achieved at this point in time. (Nothing)
By Artemicion 2015-01-26 02:04:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to think asteroids as little harbingers that remind us to ask: "How's that space program coming along?".
But now we're doing a pretty good job of bringing up that question for ourselves without any external help. Bring on the exoplanets.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2015-01-26 02:06:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Verda said: »
Saying doing nothing is the best that can be hoped for when we're on due course to disaster... sure ok. Please never drive any bus I'm on. Prevention is what has to happen. And if congress is dysfunctional it should be recalled enmasse. Congress needs replaced anyway, the majority of them have been bought out since long ago.

Good luck with that.. I agree with you, but unlike you I realize it will never happen. Especially the way you would want it changed. Which I'm happy about at least.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-01-26 02:07:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Verda said: »
Saying doing nothing is the best that can be hoped for when we're on due course to disaster... sure ok. Please never drive any bus I'm on. Prevention is what has to happen. And if congress is dysfunctional it should be recalled enmasse. Congress needs replaced anyway, the majority of them have been bought out since long ago.

I don't think doing nothing is the answer, I'm just not under the impression that we're on due course to some cataclysm in 100 years or whatever you were citing. If the scaremongers want to rile up people to the point of being unreasonable about the laws that we pass, well, that's their right I guess.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4