[UK] Judge Orders Father To Take His Children To Church

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » [UK] Judge orders father to take his children to church
[UK] Judge orders father to take his children to church
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-01-25 11:01:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Judge orders father to take his children to church The Telegraph (England)

Quote:
Child care proceedings challenged after judge tells father he has a legal requirement to take his sons to Catholic mass
Quote:
A judge has ordered a father to take his children to Roman Catholic mass as part of a divorce settlement, even though he is not Catholic.

The man, who can only be identified as “Steve” because of reporting restrictions on the case, faces possible contempt of court and a jail sentence if he fails to go to church when he has custody of the children.

The church attendance requirement was imposed by Judge James Orrell during a hearing at an undisclosed county court in the Midlands....

Steve, a 51-year-old psychologist, said: “It’s all very bizarre. This aspect of the contact order was not requested by the other side in the case.

“The judge decided that I would commit to taking the children to mass and he put it in the court order.

“What I think is really concerning is that it does not allow me or my children any freedom of religious expression....
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-01-25 11:19:47
Link | Quote | Reply

skimmed a little bit of the actual article; sounds like this judge should be the one heading to prison'
[+]
By Blazed1979 2015-01-25 11:30:29
Link | Quote | Reply

It gets complicated when it involves divorce settlements. The judge upheld a condition of the divorce which just so happened to be that the father take them to church if he had them on xmas. Those were the terms of the divorce. Steve shouldn't have agreed to them if he didn't want to take them to church.
They are also her kids and if she wants to raise them catholic that is for her to say. Unless of course the USA UK is slowly becoming the USSR.
By Jetackuu 2015-01-25 11:40:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said: »
It gets complicated when it involves divorce settlements. The judge upheld a condition of the divorce which just so happened to be that the father take them to church if he had them on xmas. Those were the terms of the divorce. Steve shouldn't have agreed to them if he didn't want to take them to church.
They are also her kids and if she wants to raise them catholic that is for her to say. Unless of course the USA is slowly becoming the USSR.
Your reading comprehension leaves something to be desired.

Quote:
This aspect of the contact order was not requested by the other side in the case.

“The judge decided that I would commit to taking the children to mass and he put it in the court order."

Also from the article:

Quote:
Court transcripts seen by The Telegraph show that Judge Orrell discussed his own Catholic faith during the course of the hearing into contact arrangements for Steve’s two sons.
[+]
 Asura.Taidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Asura
user: tidis
By Asura.Taidis 2015-01-25 11:50:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Also it's England, not the USA.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-25 13:35:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Taidis said: »
Also it's England, not the USA.
Don't feel bad about the mistake, most people would automatically assume that, when stupid rulings happen, it's because of 'merica.

Most of the time they are right too....

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-25 13:40:17
Link | Quote | Reply

anything to boost church population and retention it seems.
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-01-25 13:43:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Most of the time they are right too....
Confirmation bias informed by America's self-focused news media. We could start picking up news stories from Bangladesh, Georgia (the nation), and Zaire and find stories every bit as moronic as this. The notion that the US is uniquely stupid is a self-deprecating myth we've let spread like herpes.
[+]
By Shiva.Protectorchrono 2015-01-25 14:13:07
Link | Quote | Reply

So the Judge is forcing church down their throats? It's at this time I will quote words from Auron of FFX:

Auron: Short on believers?
[+]
By Blazed1979 2015-01-25 14:41:42
Link | Quote | Reply

This isn't a religion being forced down anyone's throat issue. This is a divorce and agreements issue.
The Judge didn't do anything but enforce a contract. simple.
By Bloodrose 2015-01-25 14:46:46
Link | Quote | Reply

What part of "not requested by either side" was misunderstood?

What part of the Judge's decision, where he discussed his own accord with Catholicism, was misunderstood?

This judge should be removed, and a contact retrial heard by a different judge.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-01-25 14:48:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
What part of "not requested by either side" was misunderstood?
All of it. Reading is hard, especially when you're leaping to conclusions to blindly defend something that vaguely sounds in-line with your beliefs.
[+]
By charlo999 2015-01-25 15:00:49
Link | Quote | Reply

This isn't a religion being forced down anyone's throat issue.

Really blazed?
It's exactly that
Either side doesn't request it. Judge gives his own religious views, then forces them on this man, otherwise he can't see his kids.

Reading more into this with the another case, which was overturned by another judge that was 'aghast' with the original decision.
How has this guy not been disciplined before?
And how on earth has this decision not been overturned on appeal?
Baffling.
They scared of this guy?
He have friends in high places?
[+]
By Blazed1979 2015-01-26 16:17:02
Link | Quote | Reply

charlo999 said: »
This isn't a religion being forced down anyone's throat issue.

Really blazed?
I skimmed through it rather poorly.Missed the part about it being imposed without request from either side.

In my defense, I am only on these forums past 1 am my time.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2015-01-26 16:31:27
Link | Quote | Reply

What I find most interesting is that they are being forced to attend a a catholic mass, which I believe aren't the norm in England, home of the Church of England, and given the long history of the Monarchy and Catholic church, going back to Henry VIII
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-01-26 16:53:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »
What I find most interesting is that they are being forced to attend a a catholic mass, which I believe aren't the norm in England, home of the Church of England, and given the long history of the Monarchy and Catholic church, going back to Henry VIII

Just because the Episcopal Church was established, doesn't mean that there weren't remaining Catholic supporters within England. :/

The Scots remained Catholic and their monarchs supported/funded "blasphemers" of the Church of England. Henry VIII's own daughter, Mary, tried to restore Catholicism to England during her reign. Ever heard of "Bloody Mary"?

Upon Elizabeth's ascension, the Church of England was restored, but there were assassination plots to have her usurped and place her cousin, Mary Stuart (Mary Queen of Scots), on the throne. Thus, she took measures against Mary.

Should we get into when the Stuart line finally reigned in England (Jamesesees and Charleseseses (Roman numerals I can't think of off the top of my head)). There were those who thought those Stuarts still practiced Catholicism generations later.

Do people really not know who Guy Fawkes is? Got to love the internet fads. :/

Please tell me you're not in the US, Canada or the UK. Please.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-01-26 17:37:19
Link | Quote | Reply

In cases of bs like this, can a different judge be requested somehow? I mean, come on..
By Jetackuu 2015-01-26 17:44:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »

Just because the Episcopal Church was established, doesn't mean that there weren't remaining Catholic supporters within England. :/

The Scots remained Catholic and their monarchs supported/funded "blasphemers" of the Church of England. Henry VIII's own daughter, Mary, tried to restore Catholicism to England during her reign. Ever heard of "Bloody Mary"?

Upon Elizabeth's ascension, the Church of England was restored, but there were assassination plots to have her usurped and place her cousin, Mary Stuart (Mary Queen of Scots), on the throne. Thus, she took measures against Mary.

Should we get into when the Stuart line finally reigned in England (Jamesesees and Charleseseses (Roman numerals I can't think of off the top of my head)). There were those who thought those Stuarts still practiced Catholicism generations later.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
Server: Balmung
Game: FFXIV
user: Yatenkou
By Cecilia Charl 2015-01-26 23:38:36
Link | Quote | Reply

For those wondering bout Fawkes, he tried to overthrow the British government in favor of a government run by Spain, which was at the time heavily influenced by the Catholic Church, which was EXTREMELY corrupt at that time period as well (See: Spanish Inquisition)

So when someone says "Oh look a Guy Fawke's mask! They're like V from V for Vendetta who want to overthrow the corrupted government."

No, the real Fawkes wanted to put in a corrupt government that he could have a nice fat seat in.
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-01-27 02:21:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
In cases of bs like this, can a different judge be requested somehow? I mean, come on..
I'm not familiar with UK family law. Anyone around who is?

I do know that EU law could be brought into this if the family can't get judicial relief through the UK system, through article 9 of the European Convention on Human Rights.
Quote:
1. Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief, in worship, teaching, practice and observance.

2. Freedom to manifest one's religion or beliefs shall be subject only to such limitations as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society in the interests of public safety, for the protection of public order, health or morals, or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others.

good overview of case law dealing with this article. P. 15 starts a relevant discussion, p. 17 (#33) deals with imposing religious practices on others who do not follow a certain religion.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-01-27 03:09:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Kei Nagase said: »

For those wondering bout Fawkes, he tried to overthrow the British government in favor of a government run by Spain, which was at the time heavily influenced by the Catholic Church, which was EXTREMELY corrupt at that time period as well (See: Spanish Inquisition)

So when someone says "Oh look a Guy Fawke's mask! They're like V from V for Vendetta who want to overthrow the corrupted government."

No, the real Fawkes wanted to put in a corrupt government that he could have a nice fat seat in.

Um, citation? I'm not arguing against it, I'd just like to read more on it.
 Valefor.Endoq
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-01-27 04:20:11
Link | Quote | Reply

eslim said: »
christianity's new gameplan?
Catholic are not Christian, their teachings of putting people (Marry, pope, preachers, etc) between themselves and Jesus, and bowing before the pope calling him the "holy father", among other things, is what makes them unchristian.

Be careful to not be deceived by those that teach of a different Christ not of the scriptures.
 Asura.Taidis
MSPaint Winner
By Asura.Taidis 2015-01-27 04:28:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Endoq said: »
Catholic are not Christian, their teachings of putting people (Marry, pope, preachers, etc) between themselves and Jesus, and bowing before the pope calling him the "holy father", among other things, is what makes them unchristian.

Be careful to not be deceived by those that teach of a different Christ not of the scriptures.
Catholicism is a part of Christianity, even if you don't think they stand for Christian values (don't know if you're religious yourself, just saying), by the same token the Westboro Baptist are Christian, Islamic extremists and still Islamic even though the majority of people in those religions which those 2 organisations weren't part of their religion.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-01-27 04:31:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Taidis said: »
Valefor.Endoq said: »

Catholicism is a part of Christianity, even if you don't think they stand for Christian values (don't know if you're religious yourself, just saying), by the same token the Westboro Baptist are Christian, Islamic extremists and still Islamic even though the majority of people in those religions which those 2 organisations weren't part of their religion.
They don't follow Christ Jesus. They don't follow His teachings. That literally makes them not a Christian church.
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-01-27 04:38:17
Link | Quote | Reply

any religion that is of the belief that jeebus is the son of god is christian and they are all equally evil
 Asura.Taidis
MSPaint Winner
By Asura.Taidis 2015-01-27 04:41:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't say I know Catholicism well enough to disagree with your point but the main criteria for being Christian is belief that Jesus was the son of God and the Messiah, which is true for Catholocism.
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-01-27 04:44:24
Link | Quote | Reply

True they do not deny Jesus is the son of God, but neither did Satan or his demons either. Try reading the Bible and gaining some deeper understanding, and pray for that understanding that you may have faith from hearing his word.
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-01-27 04:47:27
Link | Quote | Reply

so because they revere other fictional characters as well as geewhiz they aren't christian when the only criteria for being christian is the belief that jeebers is the son of god
[+]
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-01-27 04:48:16
Link | Quote | Reply

that is some los angeles smog thick delusion
First Page 2 3 4 5 6