The Coolest Bracelet In The Known Universe

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » The coolest bracelet in the known universe
The coolest bracelet in the known universe
First Page 2
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-01-24 16:13:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I rarely wear jewelery save for a few rings, but I WANT this.

Leatherman’s New Wearable Tech Can Repair Your Wearable Tech - Wired

Quote:
The Leatherman Tread will come out this Summer. It’s an interesting departure for the company, and an industry first: a serious multi-tool that can be worn on the wrist. Each link on the band includes two to three functional tools, for a total of 25 usable features.

It’s an ingenious design. The bracelet is fully customizable and can be re-built with slotted fasteners. The user can rearrange links, add or remove tools, or just adjust the bracelet’s size for comfort down to one quarter of an inch. Even the clasp is functional, with a bottle opener and #2 square drive. Other tools include hex drives, screwdrivers, box wrenches, a carbide glass breaker, and a hook-style box cutter that doubles as a SIM card pick.

Know what you’re thinking: Those links are going to snap off when I torque the hex nuts on my portable DAC. Wrong. This MacGyver wristband is constructed of metal-injected molded 17-4 stainless steel. The tools may be tiny, but they’re not going to snap or bend under stress. There’s an optional Swiss quartz movement watch (available in the fall of 2015), but I see the crafty Bushwick guys opting for the naked bracelet, which looks kinda Chrome Hearts.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2015-01-24 16:17:33
Link | Quote | Reply

It's kinda gay. Opinions etc.

Why Leatherman's Multitool Bracelet Is Beautiful But Useless
http://indefinitelywild.gizmodo.com/why-leathermans-multitool-bracelet-is-beautiful-but-use-1681411221

Quote:
Let's say you're out in the wilds of say, your cubicle, when you suddenly encounter a life or death situation involving a loose screw. Do you have time to remove and disassemble your wrist watch or bracelet in order to fix it? And, when you do, will that dinky little half-length bit actually be able to access the screw head? In any circumstance more recessed than a flush screw head with plenty of clear access for your closed fist to turn in, neither of the Tread's two Phillips drivers will work.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-01-24 16:19:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Multi-tools generally represent the worst aspects of every tool they contain... That said, I want one.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-01-24 16:21:00
Link | Quote | Reply

The title of this thread deceived me.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-01-24 16:29:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Saw this the other day, not really thrilled. It looks like it'd be virtually impossible to get any kind of torque with such small devices unless there's some clever way of constructing them we haven't yet seen. Multi-tools are generally aimed at being something to use in a pinch, but this one seems barely better than jury-rigging.

For my multi-tool needs, I'll stick with my (admittedly specialized for bicycles) Alien 2. If nothing else, I don't have to worry that it'll somehow slice my wrist open if I twist wrong, which is something this thing scares me thinking about.
By Chyula 2015-01-24 16:49:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't wait for the law suit when the cuts accident start piling up.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2015-01-24 16:51:43
Link | Quote | Reply

90% of wearers will be hipsters that have never and will never use any of the included tools(or their full size equivalents)
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-01-24 16:56:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
90% of wearers will be hipsters that have never and will never use any of the included tools(or their full size equivalents)

Why do you hate the free market?

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
The title of this thread deceived me.

I thought it'd be a real life Twilight Bracelet. Lame.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2015-01-24 16:59:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought it was going to be about this thing:
http://www.globetoday.com/future-is-now-epic-bracelet-that-turns-your-arm-into-a-touchscreen-phone/

Way cooler than that lolmultitool. (still douchebaggy)
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-01-24 17:04:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Why just hipsters? Amongst my friends, the ones I'd assume wouldn't know which end of the hammer to use (all the nerds and singers and such) are the ones who own fabrication tools for woodworking or metal-shaping, and the ones I'd instinctively call when I need to replace my brake pads, the ones who look like they'd replace their blood with WD-40 if they could, don't even know what a jack point is on a car frame.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2015-01-24 17:11:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Why do you hate the free market?
because the biggest factor in success for many modern products isn't engineering or innovation, it's just lucking into the correct time/audience to catch the wind and trend

also because **** crowdsourcing

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Why just hipsters? Amongst my friends, the ones I'd assume wouldn't know which end of the hammer to use (all the nerds and singers and such) are the ones who own fabrication tools for woodworking or metal-shaping, and the ones I'd instinctively call when I need to replace my brake pads, the ones who look like they'd replace their blood with WD-40 if they could, don't even know what a jack point is on a car frame.
because the tool isn't useful, it's a fashion accessory, and anyone who would actually use the tools can discern that
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-01-24 17:12:22
Link | Quote | Reply

So you missed the point entirely. People who are not handy with tools are not necessarily hipsters. Several people I know who are definitely hipsters have engineering degrees, actually.
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-01-25 00:30:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Wouldn't actually mind having this, but in the habit of generally not wearing jewelry for safety reasons.

I imagine a lot of these will be seen in TSA bins in the near future.
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-01-25 00:40:59
Link | Quote | Reply

What is a TSA bin?
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-01-25 00:56:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Endoq said: »
What is a TSA bin?
The bins used by the TSA for storing items they have confiscated from people.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Xenhas
Server: Carbuncle
user: Xenhas
By Carbuncle.Xenhas 2015-01-25 01:06:09
Link | Quote | Reply

It's pretty damn ugly
By Jetackuu 2015-01-25 01:22:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Leatherman makes high quality ***, but I too wonder about the usefulness and available torque.

Wish I had bought my knife years ago.
By Nazrious 2015-01-25 01:49:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I find my multitool handy, but I researched one to fit my needs before buying.

This in conjunction with a letherman wave for instance might offer a few interesting possibilities.

But in the end Jewelry is useless and this seems only slightly less so.

(Just because someone will be contrary, Watches are not jewelry in the same sense as bracelet, earrings, and such)
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-01-25 01:56:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Just because I want to be contrary, jewelry is only useless in a utilitarian sense, and one can make arguments for portable material wealth or multi-purpose jewelry above and beyond merely having a timepiece. Then there's dog tags and medical information bracelets (MyID makes them entirely fashionable). I've worn housekeys around my neck and re-purposed silicone bracelets. We don't do it much anymore but signet rings are a thing that exists. There's the many uses of piercings, not least being stimulation.

And, of course, it's still to call adornment useless. It acts as an identifier, a signal of social status, of fashion sense, that sort of thing.
By Nazrious 2015-01-25 02:04:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Just because I want to be contrary, jewelry is only useless in a utilitarian sense, and one can make arguments for portable material wealth or multi-purpose jewelry above and beyond merely having a timepiece. Then there's dog tags and medical information bracelets (MyID makes them entirely fashionable). I've worn housekeys around my neck and re-purposed silicone bracelets. We don't do it much anymore but signet rings are a thing that exists. There's the many uses of piercings, not least being stimulation.

And, of course, it's still to call adornment useless. It acts as an identifier, a signal of social status, of fashion sense, that sort of thing.

Good for you.

I personally have hands, fingers, tongue, and if all else fails toes, but hey if your piercings work for you yay.

Dog tags and Med bracelets are not jewelry, they are identification. The primary purpose is to identify a soldier, or person and their medical conditions. If you wear dog tags as jewelry then they lose their purpose and are just useless. (Yes even momentos are useless).
It can also be argued that once Jewelry is no longer used for adornment it ceases to be jewelry and instead the tool/currency it is being utilized as.

To clarify

Use would be the ability to be used to accomplish a task at hand.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-01-25 02:11:51
Link | Quote | Reply

And indicating identity, financial status, social caste, or medical status are not accomplishing a task at hand, huh? Nor is acting as compact, portable wealth? It must be interesting to try to make words mean what you want them to mean instead of what everyone else uses them for.

Here's a thought: say "I don't like jewelry." Full stop.
[+]
By Nazrious 2015-01-25 02:22:33
Link | Quote | Reply

And indicating identity, financial status, social caste, or medical status are not accomplishing a task at hand, huh? Nor is acting as compact, portable wealth? It must be interesting to try to make words mean what you want them to mean instead of what everyone else uses them for.

Except by the act of use for a purpose other than adornment they cease to be Jewelry.

A person can take a toilet seat and wear it as a hat, but if you ***on their head I doubt they will Be understanding of the argument "But its a toilet seat."

Gold earrings traded as currency are then currency, when you use them as adornment they cease to have use.

Yes looking pretty is a use, but thqt is a useless use. ;p

Side note: Yes my world is likely way more interesting than yours.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-01-25 03:13:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Nazrious said: »

Except by the act of use for a purpose other than adornment they cease to be Jewelry.

A person can take a toilet seat and wear it as a hat, but if you ***on their head I doubt they will Be understanding of the argument "But its a toilet seat."

Gold earrings traded as currency are then currency, when you use them as adornment they cease to have use.
Wow, that's one hell of a specious argument.
[+]
By Blazed1979 2015-01-25 03:26:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Valli said: »
http://www.globetoday.com/future-is-now-epic-bracelet-that-turns-your-arm-into-a-touchscreen-phone/

Not really interested in armpad or w/e, just noticed the chick in the pic has some really nice feet!
 Fenrir.Weakness
Server: Fenrir
user: Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2015-01-25 04:46:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm like 90% sure that's a dude in the bathtub judging by the hands.
 Asura.Backstab
Server: Asura
user: backstab
By Asura.Backstab 2015-01-25 05:21:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Valli said: »

Not really interested in armpad or w/e, just noticed the chick in the pic has some really nice feet!

its a man 100%.
By Jetackuu 2015-01-25 11:32:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Good for you.

I personally have hands, fingers, tongue, and if all else fails toes, but hey if your piercings work for you yay.

Dog tags and Med bracelets are not jewelry, they are identification. The primary purpose is to identify a soldier, or person and their medical conditions. If you wear dog tags as jewelry then they lose their purpose and are just useless. (Yes even momentos are useless).
It can also be argued that once Jewelry is no longer used for adornment it ceases to be jewelry and instead the tool/currency it is being utilized as.

To clarify

Pretty sure most people who study the human mind would disagree with you. Trust me when I say that I'm against frivolous pointless accessories, but things of sentimental value, have function, just because you don't comprehend it doesn't mean it's not there.
By Nazrious 2015-01-25 13:42:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

Good for you.

To clarify

Pretty sure most people who study the human mind would disagree with you. Trust me when I say that I'm against frivolous pointless accessories, but things of sentimental value, have function, just because you don't comprehend it doesn't mean it's not there.

From a spartan viewpoint Jewelry is frivolous, Mementos may have emotional value, so what? Yeah many will argue the use/value blah blah. I'd rather toss hand grenades then pearl earrings in a battle. Eat bread instead of tennis bracelets.

*shrug* to each their own.

/emotions

Would you like a Gingersnap?
First Page 2