Networks Won't Air Obama Speech

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Networks won't air Obama speech
Networks won't air Obama speech
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-11-22 11:10:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Executive actions are PART of the checks and balances. They were designed as a temporary solution for the President to fix problems during periods of congressional break or inactivity. They are stopgap measures that have limited scope and expire automatically when he leaves office unless the incoming President chooses to renew them. Immigration is housed in the executive branch, this is well within the scope of his power and he's acting within the system as it was designed.

Do not pretend that congressional republicans have bent over backwards to work with Obama and he just won't.

Sure, that's it. This was an issue that just had to be dealt with immediately, which of course is the only reason the president did this while Congress was on break. Is this new for a POTUS? Of course not. Is it a sleazy way to use power that even Obama himself said he didn't have? Absolutely.
I'm going to challenge you on this one, because he DOES have the power, even if he's misusing it, and he's said multiple times that this is within the scope of the Presidential powers.

"Break or inactivity"... Congress has been inactive on this issue for the last 30 years... Is it more critical now than at any point prior? Not really, but at what point do you stop dancing around a problem and fix it. Tax reform and runaway spending didn't get dealt with even in the 6 years following some of the largest deficits ever seen in the world, and it took automatic sequestration to get ANY action. I would rather not see executive actions being used instead of legislation, but I have spent 5 years going through one of the easiest immigration pathways and I know how broken the system is.

Politifact on Obama's position change and what he said he could and could not do with executive powers
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-22 11:21:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Executive actions are PART of the checks and balances. They were designed as a temporary solution for the President to fix problems during periods of congressional break or inactivity. They are stopgap measures that have limited scope and expire automatically when he leaves office unless the incoming President chooses to renew them. Immigration is housed in the executive branch, this is well within the scope of his power and he's acting within the system as it was designed.

Do not pretend that congressional republicans have bent over backwards to work with Obama and he just won't.

Sure, that's it. This was an issue that just had to be dealt with immediately, which of course is the only reason the president did this while Congress was on break. Is this new for a POTUS? Of course not. Is it a sleazy way to use power that even Obama himself said he didn't have? Absolutely.
I'm going to challenge you on this one, because he DOES have the power, even if he's misusing it, and he's said multiple times that this is within the scope of the Presidential powers.

"Break or inactivity"... Congress has been inactive on this issue for the last 30 years... Is it more critical now than at any point prior? Not really, but at what point do you stop dancing around a problem and fix it. Tax reform and runaway spending didn't get dealt with even in the 6 years following some of the largest deficits ever seen in the world, and it took automatic sequestration to get ANY action. I would rather not see executive actions being used instead of legislation, but I have spent 5 years going through one of the easiest immigration pathways and I know how broken the system is.

Politifact on Obama's position change and what he said he could and could not do with executive powers

IF he were enacting the same legislation that was proposed at the time of the interview, that would be correct, but obviously he isn't doing that, and his position on what he is and isn't allowed to do has not changed.

So, your statement that he has admitted he doesn't have the power to do what he is doing is incorrect.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-11-22 11:27:34
Link | Quote | Reply

IF he were enacting the same legislation that was proposed at the time of the interview, that would be correct, but obviously he isn't doing that, and his position on what he is and isn't allowed to do has not changed.

So, your statement that he has admitted he doesn't have the power to do what he is doing is incorrect.

Maybe you didn't read the whole thing. When asked about similar situations, he said he did not have the power to stop deportations. Just because this situation is slightly different doesn't change the fact that he said he didn't have the power before. Several fact checking sites agree with me here, so your approval is not necessary.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-11-22 11:32:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Song came on. Always reminds me of these threads'

Quote:
Before You Die

Porcelain and alabaster
Decaying ever faster
Unaware of imminent disaster
Open up your eyes

As you ruminate the hopeless sands of time
Did you wander out your days lost and resigned
Or recreate the universes in your mind?

Everybody is ***
My world is like plaster
Crumbling apart from pressure of the blaster
Waiting for a sign

And the momentary pleasures take their turn
As a wistful boy runs out of things to learn
The episodes of yore are never to return

Scare up some hope, you're gonna need it just to cope
You are the decision, numbers don't lie
When you bite the dust, was it for purpose or for trust?
You'll never relive it, think before you die
Yeah, think, think before you die

Deficit and deprivation
In the wake of desperation
Rewrite the morals, rectify the nation
Now may be your time

As you ruminate the hopeless sands of time
Do you wonder how your life has been defined?
You knew eternity can't ever change your mind
You knew eternity can't ever change your mind

So think, think before you die
Woah, think, think before you die

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-22 11:53:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe you didn't read the whole thing. When asked about similar situations, he said he did not have the power to stop deportations. Just because this situation is slightly different doesn't change the fact that he said he didn't have the power before. Several fact checking sites agree with me here, so your approval is not necessary.

I read it, the disconnect is coming from a misunderstanding or misuse of terminology. He admitted he does not have the power to grant legal status to people who have entered the US illegally. He also said he doesn't have the power to stop deportation. Both of those are under congressional mandates. However, is someone has entered the US legally or as a minor (minors aren't culpable under current immigration law), he can block deportation precedings from starting and change the rules for granting residency.

Politifact is a decent resource, but they frequently miss some pretty basic things. In this case, one thing I've seen misrepresented by several "independent" resources is deportation. Which, like impeachment, is a process, not just a trip to the border.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-11-22 14:14:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm still seeing conflicting reports. Even USA Today is saying that he made claims he later refuted, quote: "But then, Obama said he lacked the legal authority to suspend deportation of family members. Now, he says he has just such legal authority." David Gergen has a report out that spells out rather fairly how dangerous Obama's actions could be, whether or not he's going back on his former word. I don't see this ending well.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-22 14:25:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm still seeing conflicting reports. Even USA Today is saying that he made claims he later refuted, quote: "But then, Obama said he lacked the legal authority to suspend deportation of family members. Now, he says he has just such legal authority." David Gergen has a report out that spells out rather fairly how dangerous Obama's actions could be, whether or not he's going back on his former word. I don't see this ending well.

Well, the president has the legal authority to act as judge and jury by naming any person an enemy of the state, with or without evidence. The president has the legal authority to grant clemency to any person convicted of any crime. He has the legal authority to grant any individual amnesty and residency. He has the ability to enact temporary immigration standards (and presidents in the past have for specific countries and situations). And he has the ability to alter enforcement of mandates that he has reason to question the legality of.

All of those things fall within his power, it's scary that an individual has that power, but it's scarier that nobody questions what a president does or can do or opposes when additional powers are granted to one they like. It's not that most Americans are opposed to having a "king" that's incredibly disgusting and terrifying, it's that they only oppose it when it's someone they disagree with.
 Ragnarok.Leysritt
Server: Ragnarok
user: Leysritt
By Ragnarok.Leysritt 2014-11-22 14:27:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, the president has the legal authority to act as judge and jury by naming any person an enemy of the state, with or without evidence. The president has the legal authority to grant clemency to any person convicted of any crime. He has the legal authority to grant any individual amnesty and residency. He has the ability to enact temporary immigration standards (and presidents in the past have for specific countries and situations). And he has the ability to alter enforcement of mandates that he has reason to question the legality of.

All of those things fall within his power, it's scary that an individual has that power, but it's scarier that nobody questions what a president does or can do or opposes when additional powers are granted to one they like. It's not that most Americans are opposed to having a "king" that's incredibly disgusting and terrifying, it's that they only oppose it when it's someone they disagree with.

And the people of the US need to start questioning his authority, otherwise crap like this will continue to happen without the public's well being taken into consideration.
 Sylph.Kawar
Server: Sylph
user: Kawar
By Sylph.Kawar 2014-11-22 14:44:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Kooljack said: »
Kooljack said: »
hillary clinton will not be impeached by congress because she is the first women president. obama's executive order has broken the ice for her to do the same thing when she's in power; she will rule by executive order and our country will be changed forever

Aren't you supposed to be in a park waving a bible around and calling everyone sinners?

hey look it's an insinuating, stereotypical, judging, know it all; folks. it doesn't get much trashier then this

I'm a believer in a higher power but that doesn't stop me from smoking pot, having a beer, playing video games, and watching bill maher.

You look incredibly shoddy for insinuating a person's political and ethical roundness based on a single previous belief. what's more him and seha can't get over themselves about my stance on a previous topic. dragging it into any thread they can respond to me in.

stay classy ah.com. stay classy

I was talking about your doomsday language sounding like the guys in the park yelling "repent, the end it near!"...

I don't even recall what previous topic you're referring to, but I couldn't care less whether you're religious. Your reaction says more about you than it does about my statement.
is it bad that when i was reading this i thought of the guy from attack on titan that thought the walls were a gift from god and that god let them live in the walls.
 Sylph.Kawar
Server: Sylph
user: Kawar
By Sylph.Kawar 2014-11-22 14:45:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Just remember, to those that think Obama can/should be successfully sued/impeached for this, Kawar agrees with you, if that doesn't make you rethink your stance then nothing will.

Yeah, the idea is that stupid.
what is your problem with me huh?

also your wrong i am not on a side like i said i just look at every thing.

btw do not get me wrong i would all for OC if the following things were met.

1. No having the gov as the one and only health care. (i know it is not but it is a matter of time i think till he or someone does try to make it the one and only)

2. remove all the hidden things like the rfid thing he tryed to get passed that nothing has happened with yet but will at some point.

3. ask someone who has free health care like i do not know o Canada about how it works and the draw backs.
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-11-22 15:18:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kawar said: »
[+]
 Lye
By Lye 2014-11-22 15:19:37
Link | Quote | Reply

1. No having the gov as the one and only health care. (i know it is not but it is a matter of time i think till he or someone does try to make it the one and only)

2. remove all the hidden things like the rfid thing he tryed to get passed that nothing has happened with yet but will at some point.

3. ask someone who has free health care like i do not know o Canada about how it works and the draw backs.

Damn! Google translate won't do English to English. :(
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-22 15:24:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Lye said: »

Did you try Kawar to English?
[+]
 Lye
By Lye 2014-11-22 15:30:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Just when I thought you couldn't educate me any more.....
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-22 15:57:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Lye said: »

Did you try Kawar to English?
Well what do you know... it's there!

[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-22 16:02:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Sometimes being a nerd pays off, eh?
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-11-22 16:21:14
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not worded as suspending deportations. He's prioritizing deportation of the criminal elements. Legal wordplay and maneuvering, sure, but it's well within the power of the president to manage the agencies under the executive branch.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-11-22 16:32:53
Link | Quote | Reply

/ja "Defender" <Pleebo>
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-11-22 17:39:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Is anything I said incorrect or should I be content with your non-answer?
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-11-22 17:51:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Is anything I said incorrect or should I be content with your non-answer?

I never questioned whether or not Obama had the authority, just the inconsistency of his words. My non-answer was just a result of me getting tired of arguing with nit-picky defendobots.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-11-22 18:51:23
Link | Quote | Reply

That's what I'm saying. Deportations aren't suspended, immigrants aren't being granted temporary legal status, or given amnesty, which is the misinformation the media seems to be churning out. When he was asked if he could do those things himself, he said no. And he's correct so now we have a interim method to prioritize the criminal elements while Congress decides if they want to pass laws or not.
By Jetackuu 2014-11-23 00:42:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Just remember, to those that think Obama can/should be successfully sued/impeached for this, Kawar agrees with you, if that doesn't make you rethink your stance then nothing will.

Yeah, the idea is that stupid.

You are on a side, but you're too blind to see it.

As for what I have against you, well there's many things, where should I start?

First off: you're clearly anti-Obama as the rest of your nonsense was word for word anti-Obama, not saying that there's anything wrong with being against the guy, I don't like him that much, but for legitimate reasons, not made up or misunderstood nonsense.

1. I for one can't wait for single payer, would love it, as the crap we have now sucks.

2. there is no "hidden things" not to mention you're referencing something that was in HR 3200, a bill that was shot down years ago, and the parts were dropped. Not really going to entertain this further and devolve into that as it's moot.

3. I'm aware of the drawbacks, and yet their healthcare is #30 in the world (and 10th in expense) and ours is #38, and #1 in expense, there's something grossly disproportionate there. That being said, we do spend a crap ton on R&D, something the entire world benefits from, and it's not an easy fix. The ACA (even the best parts of it) are a mere wet bandaid on a patient that's hemorrhaging, it's going to take a lot to fix a broken system.
By Jetackuu 2014-11-23 00:45:03
Link | Quote | Reply

/translate "Post" K>E

"Item Post Does not exist"

darn.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-11-23 03:28:15
Link | Quote | Reply

And Congress can overrule anything he does while the Federal Courts can rule his actions unconstitutional / illegal. The President can not outright break the law, there is quite a bit of wiggle room for him to interpret it and set policy's, but ultimately the letter of the law is above him, if not the spirit. Congress and the Courts both have much greater power then the Presidency and both act as a check to ensure the President never makes himself a King. The Office of the President needs to be able to act decisively and effective in times in crisis or when haste is needed, that is why he is granted such great leeway. It's ultimately the courts job to watch over the President, which is exactly what they do.
By Bloodrose 2014-11-23 03:48:00
Link | Quote | Reply

in laymen's terms - Blame the courts
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-23 04:50:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Saevel said: »

And Congress can overrule anything he does while the Federal Courts can rule his actions unconstitutional / illegal. The President can not outright break the law, there is quite a bit of wiggle room for him to interpret it and set policy's, but ultimately the letter of the law is above him, if not the spirit. Congress and the Courts both have much greater power then the Presidency and both act as a check to ensure the President never makes himself a King. The Office of the President needs to be able to act decisively and effective in times in crisis or when haste is needed, that is why he is granted such great leeway. It's ultimately the courts job to watch over the President, which is exactly what they do.

Yep, and the precedent was set 130 years ago for presidents to force action from congress by instating policies that they must address. He's putting the ball in their court purposely. Now, they can either look even worse than they already do by letting him win or they can pass actual legislation and everybody wins.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-23 05:16:19
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-11-24 21:24:01
Link | Quote | Reply

they wont air his speech but they are interrupting NCIS LA to listen to him talk?! wtf?!?!?!
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-11-24 21:25:12
Link | Quote | Reply

looks like they screwed up there lineing anyway. Scorpion is on when its supposed to be the new LA