Networks Won't Air Obama Speech

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Networks won't air Obama speech
Networks won't air Obama speech
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-11-20 14:40:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Three major networks will not air President Obama's prime-time address Thursday outlining his executive actions on immigration.

Officials with ABC, CBS and Fox confirmed to The Hill that Obama's 8 p.m. speech from the White House will not be carried on their networks. CNN reported that NBC would not be carrying the address either.

Cable news networks are expected to carry the address, as is the Spanish-language networks Univision and Telemundo.

A source at one of the major networks told The Hill that the White House did not officially request prime-time coverage on the networks Thursday, a big night for ratings given popular shows on several networks, including ABC’s “Shondaland” schedule of shows created by producer Shonda Rhimes.

The White House also downplayed the fact that the high-profile immigration address won’t be aired live on the big broadcast networks.

“It’s not unusual for us to have off-the-record conversations with news organizations about events at the White House,” a White House official told The Hill.

The official declined to elaborate but said the White House was “confident” the primetime address would garner “ample attention” from the media.

November is a sweeps month for the broadcast networks, which might have made them less excited about handing over valuable prime-time real estate to the White House. Ratings during the month-long evaluation period are used to dictate advertising rates.

The mid-season finale of Rimes’s show “Grey’s Anatomy” is scheduled for 8 p.m. Thursday, as are NBC’s “The Biggest Loser” and FOX’s “Bones.”

Univision planned on showing the Latin Grammy awards during that slot, but Borja Echevarría, Univision’s vice president, tweeted that the network will be interrupting its programming to air Obama’s speech.

Source
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-11-20 14:47:20
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-11-20 14:49:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Not a political statement as much as a financial one and really a stinging reality of how shallow we are as a country, because networks are just following the money.

"Don't pre-empt our hollow sitcoms, jaded reality shows, and rehashed dramas in favor of national policy that will likely have an effect upon us all in some fashion."
[+]
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2014-11-20 14:53:19
Link | Quote | Reply

The networks showing how outdated their model is. I'll be watching it live online.
[+]
By volkom 2014-11-20 14:54:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Should've scheduled time and planned it in advance like they do with all their laws and policies...oh wait
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-11-20 15:08:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I am absolutely disgusted that the major TV networks will not air Obama's address. It's an outrage. It's scandalous.

So I'm going to protest this horrid injustice by boycotting TV.

...and playing an MMO, like I do every other night.
[+]
 Asura.Ackeronll
Server: Asura
user: Ackeron
By Asura.Ackeronll 2014-11-20 15:08:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I for one hope this ushers in a new age of not canceling my damn TV shows because some guy wants to drone on for over an hour about politricks.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-11-20 15:09:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I wish they did this back when I watched TV. I hated my shows being interrupted by Clinton and Bush as a kid
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-11-20 15:11:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Seriously though, think how horrible a world it would be if:

This MMO has been interrupted from its regularly scheduled existence for an address by President Obama...
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-11-20 15:16:58
Link | Quote | Reply

But I thought the liberal networks fawned over the President and did his every beck and call? They can't even be bothered to SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING for a word from our tyrannical overlord?

2/10, shitty state media.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-11-20 15:19:42
Link | Quote | Reply

By Sylph.Systematicchaos 2014-11-20 15:24:20
Link | Quote | Reply

So you're saying I can continue to not watch presidential speeches, and the people that want to watch them can still watch them somewhere? Great.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-20 15:42:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Just watch it on Univision or Telemundo. Got to know your audience.
By Jetackuu 2014-11-20 15:48:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't really need to watch it, it's going to be the jist of what he's been saying for the past week+, and then a bunch of people are going to ignore what he says and still think he's the anti-Christ, and go on a *** fit about it.

He wants to assist those who have had work visas (hey, make it so we can fully tax them, woohoo!?), are still working, have family who are citizens (beats deporting them and making the children wards of the state), people who were brought here as children illegally or long since expired their visas and stayed, and pretty much refocus efforts and money for more important things than those who are being constructive members of society, regardless of how they got it.

I don't see (logically) how people have an issue with any of that.

However there is one bit I have an issue with, and Chaos mentioned it before: tech sector jobs, I really wish they'd stop giving visas out for these, there's plenty of American citizens that are looking for work in the tech sector, we don't need to bring in people to do it.

edit: and I mean that for anyone of any origin other than here, not just central Americans.
[+]
 Sylph.Safiyyah
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2014-11-20 16:06:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Thinking about it a little more, my mind has to reject the idea that most people I have to share the road with, whose children I send my children to school with, and that will help pick our nation's next president might prefer to watch "The Biggest Loser" or "Grey's Anatomy" over the president's speech on his new immigration policy that literally affects every single American. If I don't reject this idea, then I get nauseated and uncomfortable.

Jetackuu said: »
Don't really need to watch it, it's going to be the jist of what he's been saying for the past week+, and then a bunch of people are going to ignore what he says and still think he's the anti-Christ, and go on a *** fit about it.

He wants to assist those who have had work visas (hey, make it so we can fully tax them, woohoo!?), are still working, have family who are citizens (beats deporting them and making the children wards of the state), people who were brought here as children illegally or long since expired their visas and stayed, and pretty much refocus efforts and money for more important things than those who are being constructive members of society, regardless of how they got it.

However there is one bit I have an issue with, and Chaos mentioned it before: tech sector jobs, I really wish they'd stop giving visas out for these, there's plenty of American citizens that are looking for work in the tech sector, we don't need to bring in people to do it.

edit: and I mean that for anyone of any origin other than here, not just central Americans.

+1 on the H1B's. Tech companies lobby the government for more of these, claiming a shortage of American workers. What they mean is, a shortage of American workers willing to take entry-level wages for senior positions.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-20 16:17:37
Link | Quote | Reply

That's really the part people overlook. The U.S. has plenty of people with degrees seeking employment in the high tech field who usually have mounds of debt to pay back. But why hire them when you can issue some visas and pay minimum wage?

Oh well, plenty of high tech jobs elsewhere in the world.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-11-20 18:02:00
Link | Quote | Reply

i honestly havnt followed this one to well to say all to much for certain, but from what ive heard it seems not so much about whats being done (even tho thats what everyone talks about in one form or another) its the fact that the rest of the government pretty much said no, and hes ignoring them and doing what he wants anyway. (Like a spoiled little baby throwing a tantrum)
By fonewear 2014-11-20 18:38:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Is it 2016 yet ?
By fonewear 2014-11-20 18:42:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Why would I want to watch Obama I already know what he is doing to say/do ?
[+]
By cureurface 2014-11-20 20:14:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I disagree with the way Obama is going about it. The first thing that should happen before any amnisty is given is a giant fence with 10 foot of coiled razor wire with motion sensors should stretch across the boarder with 24 hour drone surveillance to tag anybody breaching the boarder so a boarder patrol officer can find them and toss their *** back into Mexico. Executive action is terrible in this case.
[+]
By Enuyasha 2014-11-20 21:12:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea, logically, if the worry is how illegal immigrants are stealing our jobs (that noone wants to do anyway mind you) The best way to fix that economic wound would be to make them legal citizens entitled to all of the same tax burdens and despair as the rest of us. More money for the economy, more money for big pharma when all the mexicans become americans and dope themselves up on antidepressants because they finally realize its not greener on the other side.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-11-20 22:09:52
Link | Quote | Reply

cureurface said: »
I disagree with the way Obama is going about it. The first thing that should happen before any amnisty is given is a giant fence with 10 foot of coiled razor wire with motion sensors should stretch across the boarder with 24 hour drone surveillance to tag anybody breaching the boarder so a boarder patrol officer can find them and toss their *** back into Mexico. Executive action is terrible in this case.

that is a point i haven't heard anyone mention yet, especially any politic. Make a large group or illegal citizens to 'solve the problems', just what kind of message is that action alone going to send to those in mexico that would like to get out. If i were them and i saw the president do that, that would only seem like more incentive to hop the border illegally. May end up causing a lot more crossing by doing that.
 Fenrir.Nauta
user: Anjou
By Fenrir.Nauta 2014-11-20 22:33:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
Make a large group or illegal citizens to 'solve the problems', just what kind of message is that action alone going to send to those in mexico that would like to get out. If i were them and i saw the president do that, that would only seem like more incentive to hop the border illegally. May end up causing a lot more crossing by doing that.

As someone who is "illegal" and went through the DACA application process, I seriously doubt this will give any incentive to hop the border illegally. The guidelines to be able to apply to DACA were specific and no one who hops the border tomorrow would be able to benefit. I imagine the same or similar time guidelines will be applied to everyone else benefiting under the new program. Here are the DACA guidelines:

Were under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012;

Came to the United States before reaching your 16th birthday;

Have continuously resided in the United States since June 15, 2007, up to the present time;

Were physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012, and at the time of making your request for consideration of deferred action with USCIS;

Had no lawful status on June 15, 2012;

Are currently in school, have graduated or obtained a certificate of completion from high school, have obtained a general education development (GED) certificate, or are an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States;

Have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor,or three or more other misdemeanors, and do not otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety.

And when applying I had to provide evidence that I have been here every year since I entered the US(bank statements, taxes, etc) as well as proof that I was in the US in June 15, 2012.
By Kooljack 2014-11-21 00:43:16
Link | Quote | Reply

giving this lair any attention is lol at best

Jonathan gruber anyone?
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-11-21 02:05:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »

i honestly havnt followed this one to well to say all to much for certain, but from what ive heard it seems not so much about whats being done (even tho thats what everyone talks about in one form or another) its the fact that the rest of the government pretty much said no, and hes ignoring them and doing what he wants anyway. (Like a spoiled little baby throwing a tantrum)

You confuse the obstructionist Republican party with the rest of the government, he's well within his authority to do what he's doing, he wanted to play ball with them and do it the permanent way, they refused, so he's doing what he can, any responsible person would.
By Jetackuu 2014-11-21 02:08:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Enuyasha said: »
Yea, logically, if the worry is how illegal immigrants are stealing our jobs (that noone wants to do anyway mind you) The best way to fix that economic wound would be to make them legal citizens entitled to all of the same tax burdens and despair as the rest of us. More money for the economy, more money for big pharma when all the mexicans become americans and dope themselves up on antidepressants because they finally realize its not greener on the other side.

That's not the worry, and I said nothing about illegals stealing jobs. There's plenty of jobs that are being done by immigrants (legal or not legal) that citizens want to do, but that's not the point here.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-11-21 02:08:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Kooljack said: »

Jonathan gruber anyone?

Apparently we shouldn't be paying attention to lairs people, especially mine and Nik's, don't pay attention to our lairs.
By Bloodrose 2014-11-21 02:13:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh noes, my batlair!
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-11-21 02:16:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Just can't hire all of those illegals to build a lazy susan and not expect somebody to talk.

"workers"

YouTube Video Placeholder

edit: found a better version of the clip
By Kooljack 2014-11-21 05:13:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Kooljack said: »

Jonathan gruber anyone?

Apparently we shouldn't be paying attention to lairs people, especially mine and Nik's, don't pay attention to our lairs.

pun intended ^_>
so gullible for grammatical correctness
First Page 2 3 4 5