Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » Anti-virus targets ffxi.dll as trojan
Anti-virus targets ffxi.dll as trojan
By Jetackuu 2014-11-26 17:52:39
Link | Quote | Reply

They're 202MB, 1.9GB, 1.9GB and 1.4GB respectively (rounded) I'll go with that your downloads didn't finish properly, or they're somehow being saved to different folders.

The links are fine.
By Jetackuu 2014-11-26 17:53:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
The most surprising thing is that people still use Norton this day and age. I'm still hung up on that one.
indeed.
 Fenrir.Mariane
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-11-26 17:58:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Korebin said: »
I went back and d/l'd all the files twice and this kept happening! There is something not right with those links, they are missing data.

You run the first exe file. It will "automagically" unpack ALL the expansions (the big files) on a temporary directory then run each installer in turns. Once it's done it will DELETE the temporary folder with all the unpacked install files that were within it.

If it's failing you might not have enough free space for it to unpack the temporary install files.
By Jetackuu 2014-11-26 17:59:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Mariane said: »
Odin.Korebin said: »
I went back and d/l'd all the files twice and this kept happening! There is something not right with those links, they are missing data.

You run the first exe file. It will "automagically" unpack ALL the expansions (the big files) on a temporary directory then run each installer in turns. Once it's done it will DELETE the temporary folder with all the unpacked install files that were within it.

If it's failing you might not have enough free space for it to unpack the temporary install files.
based upon the error they said, it means either a. they didn't download all of the files or b. they didn't fully download the files, or c. they're not in the same folder so it cannot find them.
 Asura.Sinonyuuki
Server: Asura
By Asura.Sinonyuuki 2014-11-26 18:17:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I did that file check and said nothing was wrong with PlayOnline or Final Fantasy Xi. All my files were there, eventually I told Norton to go to Silent Mode and I could log on my game. I uninstalled Norton after that and put Windows security up and I haven't had any troubles.
[+]
 Sylph.Kawar
Server: Sylph
user: Kawar
By Sylph.Kawar 2014-12-15 19:25:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Raerie said: »
Cerberus.Conagh said: »
Phoenix.Tigertail said: »
Tonight Norton 360 quarantined ffxi.dll as a Trojan and malware. Is this happening to anyone else? Or is Norton being overprotective again.

Norton causes millions of issues, just uninstall it and use something not the failure that is Norton.

Any suggestions on better anti-virus programs?
Quote:
microsoft security essentials is rather non-invasive (as far as a/vs go) and is free, assuming you're on windows 7.
No Just no MSE failed more then one scan to see if it can get it certification and even to try to get it back it failed.

bitdefender is the best on the market right now use this and if you do not want to take my word here are tests done.
http://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-7/

this is the program download link
http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html

one note if you want the full program you need to buy it but the free one works very well with good internet habits.

and for malware download and use or download and buy this program
https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/
 Bahamut.Scizor
Server: Bahamut
user: Scizor
By Bahamut.Scizor 2014-12-15 20:27:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah Kawar, how I haven't missed you and your HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE advice.
[+]
 Leviathan.Behemothx
Server: Leviathan
user: BehemothZ
By Leviathan.Behemothx 2014-12-15 21:14:49
Link | Quote | Reply

All anti virus programs are useless and all they're after is your money. Do yourself a favor and learn how to use a PC instead.
By Jetackuu 2014-12-16 21:12:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Scizor said: »
Ah Kawar, how I haven't missed you and your HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE advice.
qft

YouTube Video Placeholder

Leviathan.Behemothx said: »
All anti virus programs are useless and all they're after is your money. Do yourself a favor and learn how to use a PC instead.

eh, I wouldn't go that far, but I definitely wouldn't pay for one either, there's plenty of free options, like MSE.

edit: not that there isn't some validity to that statement,I use one to protect myself from others' collective stupidity, mostly flash drives, or when I'm recovering their ***, but I rarely do that on my PC.

Or one could just compile their own kernel and call it a day.
 Sylph.Kawar
By Sylph.Kawar 2014-12-18 20:25:46
Link | Quote | Reply

just stop btw my adive is not HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. it is very helpful.
By Jetackuu 2014-12-18 20:41:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kawar said: »
just stop btw my adive is not HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. it is very helpful.
that's a bad joke...
 Sylph.Kawar
By Sylph.Kawar 2014-12-18 21:06:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
that's a bad joke...
no it is not a joke.
By Jetackuu 2014-12-19 07:26:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Then you don't comprehend an attempt to be mild, so I'll lay it out:

your advice is bad, stop giving it.
 Sylph.Kawar
By Sylph.Kawar 2014-12-20 17:20:59
Link | Quote | Reply

It is not bad explain how you think what i said was bad?
By Jetackuu 2014-12-20 17:38:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Aside from that it's you giving it?

MSE works fine regardless of your personal conviction, and anything is better than Norton (more or less).

Not to mention your years of general stupidity in posts and general lack of basic computer knowledge.

The "advice" you give is bad, the browser thread you created and update is pointless, and you're just a bad joke.

It's all fine and all until you try to sit at the adults table and give people bad advice, stop it.
 Sylph.Kawar
By Sylph.Kawar 2014-12-21 20:04:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Aside from that it's you giving it?
I am going to put this to bed now. Yes MSE may work but it in no way a good program to ever tell anyone to use. if you even took a sec to look at the urls you would see it did not even scale when they did the tests on the programs. norton is junk do not get me wrong. but It scaled better then MSE what does that tell you.

I am done with this topic btw.
By Jetackuu 2014-12-21 20:20:48
Link | Quote | Reply

You put nothing to bed, and yes I looked at the link, it couldn't be more irrelevant.

I don't really care what you do, but you shouldn't go around giving people advice when you barely (if at all) understand what you're talking about, and by your history you do not.

What people want: non-intrusive, low interfering non-annoying basic protection, that's what I tell them to get, no it's not the end all solution, no a/v is, that goes without saying.
 Sylph.Kawar
By Sylph.Kawar 2014-12-23 05:43:41
Link | Quote | Reply

You put nothing to bed, and yes I looked at the link, it couldn't be more irrelevant.

I don't really care what you do, but you shouldn't go around giving people advice when you barely (if at all) understand what you're talking about, and by your history you do not.

What people want: non-intrusive, low interfering non-annoying basic protection, that's what I tell them to get, no it's not the end all solution, no a/v is, that goes without saying.
i got a question for you.do you get your kicks messing with me.
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2014-12-23 06:22:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Stop derailing this thread.
 Bismarck.Phaded
Server: Bismarck
user: Phaded
By Bismarck.Phaded 2014-12-23 07:13:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Raerie said: »
Any suggestions on better anti-virus programs?

bitdefender is the best on the market right now use this and if you do not want to take my word here are tests done.
http://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-7/

this is the program download link
http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html

and for malware download and use or download and buy this program
https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

Today's antivirus programs have lost their identity in terms of what their original intention is supposed to serve. When I think of a virus, I think of one of the old school ones that would either corrupt an HDD's MBR, could wipe your BIOS and render your motherboard useless or would find their way to your PC via an infected (not-so) floppy disk. Virii attacks haven't been as prevalent today as they have been in the past, possibly because there is little profit, if any.

What is prevalent today is phishing, keylogging, and identity theft which can easily be prevented by safe web surfing habits and a good custom HOSTS file. This is what most "Internet Security Programs" target, virus protection is usually just an after thought and takes a back seat to "buy the full suite now" windows. In that link above I see no actual Virii tests, its all focused on general malware prevention. The program you suggest ranks the same as Norton along with 2 other programs, I would hardly call it the best. In fact I would call any website that ranks Norton highly as "questionable".

The main problem with Norton and various other "Internet Security Suites" is the annoyance created by their real time protection. Half the time it either a false alarm or it takes up a ton a your comps resources. Also since all these programs already scan for malware, why even suggest stacking Malwarebytes on top of that? The whole purpose of a suite is to be all in one, multiple programs doing the same thing tends to just cause an even bigger issue down the line.

The question asked was if there was a better antivirus solution, and in my opinion Jetakuu answered it. MSE uses low resources, isn't overbearing with pop ups reminders or nag windows to buy/renew it, and also has an easy enough interface for a newbie to be able to use. It is not the best in anyway, but it what it does offer is basic protection and it does it well enough for the general novice.
[+]
 Sylph.Kawar
By Sylph.Kawar 2014-12-23 15:59:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Well bitdefender seems to find the bugs but i found Malwarebytes is better to remove them is why i bring it up but you bring up a good point about it.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-23 16:02:03
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Phoenix.Tigertail
Server: Phoenix
user: Tigertail
By Phoenix.Tigertail 2014-12-30 18:50:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Well the file was detected as malware again. Annoying as f---.