90 Year Old Man Arrested For Feeding The Homeless

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » 90 Year Old Man Arrested For Feeding The Homeless
90 Year Old Man Arrested For Feeding The Homeless
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-11-10 19:27:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Bahamut.Kara said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Laws that are unjust should be challenged in court. Not ignored.

Because everyone's idea of what is just and what is unjust are completely different.
You can't challenge a law in court unless you have standing. You don't have standing unless you can show it affects you, causes you harm.

By breaking the law and being charged with a crime he now has standing to challenge the law.
I'm not sure that he has standing now either.

He knowingly broke the law almost immediately after it was passed, an argument could be made that his standing against the law was revoked because of his disregard of it.

Either way, he could have brought this to court without breaking the law, even if he was speaking on behalf of the homeless (who do have standing and cannot afford legal representation) instead of flaunting it.

Edit: Correction of a word, thanks again Chanti.

Even under the assumption that his 'bringing it to court' would yield positive results and revoke the law; have you ever had a court hearing like that? They take forever. Weeks, months, even years before anything is done.

Im willing to bet these ppl will be hungry before all that is said and done.
By Jetackuu 2014-11-10 20:30:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, hell a simple religious violation argument would beat it, as it apparently effectively bans something that they do to stay faithful. (Their words on the effective ban, not mine).

I personally don't need such a thing to help truly needy people, and there's enough problems with said systems that we don't need to go around restricting and arresting the little amount people who will volunteer on their own.

If anyone wants to be Mayor for that city, they have great PR ammo now.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-11-10 20:44:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Fort Lauderdale Florida Mayor
Democrat John P. "Jack" Seiler

Sad thing is this guys already on a second term...
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-10 21:15:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Democrat, eh?
By Jetackuu 2014-11-10 21:48:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Democrat, eh?
You know Chaos, just because you can see Russia from Palin's backyard, doesn't mean you need to start talking like the Canadians. (a stretch, but hey).
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-11 09:20:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Democrat, eh?
You know Chaos, just because you can see Russia from Palin's backyard, doesn't mean you need to start talking like the Canadians. (a stretch, but hey).
YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Siren.Lordgrim
Server: Siren
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2014-11-25 03:13:05
Link | Quote | Reply

When you discover social management does not work at all. You will find the life you led is really crazy. When you complain about having no freedoms do not blame anyone but yourself.

This story and many like it's kind are proof that those who are in a position to govern and create law as public servants are misleading our fellow citizens. This is why I even post it is no coincidence the problem lies with those who make a the rules. Yes I am talking to you Republicans and Democrats. When did America become a democracy for big everything and less about its people for which it stands one nation under God indivisible with liberty and justice for all. Was it just for big everything ? No my friends it was not. We must restore our Republic for which our nation was founded as for and by the people. Why is it a crime to care about humanity? The homeless are humans just like you and me perhaps they made a bad choice. Ask yourself that when you find only Republican and Democrats on your voting choices.
[+]
By Nyruul 2014-11-25 07:09:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Welcome to USA 2014, philanthropy to the homeless is an arrestable crime. However please enjoy paying the taxes to help provide welfare to many people who would choose to work if it meant being homeless.
 Ragnarok.Titox
Server: Ragnarok
user: Titox
By Ragnarok.Titox 2014-11-26 01:45:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm mind f%#% about that being a "law"...., I still deny to myself that is actually a thing or even thought from the government to approve an inhumane thing.

This news gave me a huge shiver on my spine....
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2014-11-26 02:12:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ezekiel 16:49King James Version (KJV)

"49 Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.
50 And they were haughty, and committed abomination before me: therefore I took them away as I saw good."

Contrary to popular OPINION, this in bold print is the real reason Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed.

If we aren't carefull we will fall under the same judgement as a nation :(
 Caitsith.Zabimaru
Server: Caitsith
user: Zabimaru
By Caitsith.Zabimaru 2014-11-26 02:39:59
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Siren.Lordgrim
Server: Siren
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2014-11-26 03:00:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Nyruul said: »
Welcome to USA 2014, philanthropy to the homeless is an arrestable crime. However please enjoy paying the taxes to help provide welfare to many people who would choose to work if it meant being homeless.

A disturbing fact is we pay more us tax dollars to corporate welfare then we do public. The same tax dollars that upstarted them all while they commit economic treason against our own citizens sending job's overseas and training non citizens to do those American job's.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-12-12 09:28:01
Link | Quote | Reply

This Texas City’s Attempt To Fight Charities That Feed The Homeless Cost It 8 Years And $250,000

Background: Dallas was the first city to put onerous restrictions on charities that fed the homeless.

Quote:
Dallas city leaders voted Wednesday to walk back its crackdown on feeding the homeless in public and agreed to pay out a quarter-million-dollar cash settlement to the charities that took the city to court eight years ago. A national advocate for the homeless hopes Dallas’ experience will be a lesson to other cities like Fort Lauderdale, FL that are trying to ban charities from feeding the homeless in public.

The original Dallas ordinance required charities that wished to feed the homeless to provide bathrooms and running water, effectively restricting the groups to a handful of sites rather than allowing them to go to where the need was greatest. It also required them to register with the city no matter how large or small their food program might be, with the threat of a $2,000 fine for violators. Some charity workers defied the ban on feeding homeless people wherever they were encamped, and the matter went to court in early 2007.
Server: Balmung
Game: FFXIV
user: Yatenkou
By Cecilia Charl 2014-12-12 19:11:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Any state legislature passing a law like this needs to just go jump in a hole and stay in there.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-12-12 20:26:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Its cities, not states, that do this.

Can't bring the tourist's moods down by letting them see the homeless after all.

And its bipartisan.