Men Notice Women, Somehow This Is News.

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Men notice women, somehow this is news.
Men notice women, somehow this is news.
First Page 2 ... 8 9 10
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-30 13:06:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok let talk about it. The viral video that's gotten like 12 million-gazillion views in the last 24/48 hours. Woman claims she's "harassed" over ten hours of walking the streets in NYC.

YouTube Video Placeholder

Watch the video for yourselves. I do see some one or two men being kinda rude (most notably the guy that walks beside her for a few minutes), but many of the examples cited are men simply saying "good morning" or "hello" or even the dreaded "hello beautiful". What's up with finding this offensive? Are we now living in a world where an unwanted "hello" is now considered harassment?

While its not the only conclusion I come to, by far the ugliest, is that some people are so obsessed with being a victim that they will resort to seeing harassment in something as simple as hello. People are rude to me on a daily basis, but personally, as a man, in the rare instances when I am pursued even by the most repulsive of women I 9 times out of ten see it see it as nothing more than flattering with the tenth being only slightly annoying.

So what do we all think? Men just being harmless men with a desperate wannabe victim? Genuine harassment? Or somewhere in-between?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-30 13:07:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Exit note on perspective: CNN recently did a survey citing NYC as the most "friendly to female" public transit systems they surveyed.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-30 13:16:36
Link | Quote | Reply

How is most of that harassment again?

Because a good looking woman is walking around and men noticed that?

I admit that some of it could be considered harassment, but where is the abuse, verbal or whatnot?
 Quetzalcoatl.Jezz
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: mithra01
By Quetzalcoatl.Jezz 2014-10-30 13:20:19
Link | Quote | Reply

/facepalm
Don't act like you don't know what's going on, and every is just 'being nice' to that lady.

How would you, as a man, feel if you were walking down the street wearing whatever it is you normally wear, only to have the exact same thing that happened to that lady happen to you? That is, you're just minding your own business, not speaking or making eye contact with anyone, and having men say to you what they said to her. Hello, Hey beautiful, DAMN, or just silently walk beside you...

Would you be flattered? Stop and say 'hi' back?
There's a HUGE difference between 'noticing a pretty lady' and hitting on someone.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-10-30 13:25:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I watched this on the news on tv here, but from what I saw nothing outrageous happened...sure not all comments are pleasant, but just someone wanting to know you does not mean being "molested". Reporter was saying how awful all men are towards this girl walking by...meh.
I know it's annoying, happens to me all the time, but I don't feel harassed if someone just wants to say hi or tells me I'm pretty, whether I'm in the mood or not. Sure, there are plenty of rude people but they exist worldwide as far as I know.

Anyway, watch this thread turn to ***in a handful of posts.
[+]
By camaroz 2014-10-30 13:26:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Basically the chic has her 5 mins of fame. This is probably the dumbest attention getting ***I've ever seen/heard.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-30 13:26:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Jezz said: »
/facepalm
Don't act like you don't know what's going on, and every is just 'being nice' to that lady.

How would you, as a man, feel if you were walking down the street wearing whatever it is you normally wear, only to have the exact same thing that happened to that lady happen to you? That is, you're just minding your own business, not speaking or making eye contact with anyone, and having men say to you what they said to her. Hello, Hey beautiful, DAMN, or just silently walk beside you...

There's a HUGE difference between 'noticing a pretty lady' and hitting on someone.

As I said before, being hit on is rarely ever not pleasurable for me. Even when it's from a gay man whom I have no interest in. That isn't to say I couldn't imagine situations when it would be, but they don't include anything posted in the video above.

The vast majority of comments are not insulting unless noticing a girls figure in itself is offensive.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-10-30 13:31:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Another topic that nausi gets whooshed on.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-10-30 13:32:42
Link | Quote | Reply

That's the difference between men and women, though. According to dictation brought upon by our society, it is up to the man to do the initial introduction. I haven't had a single woman come up to me and ask me out. That would be weird, right? Meanwhile, because I'm shy and afraid that I might "harass" someone just by saying hello, I could be missing out on hundreds of opportunities. ***is tough, and if anything, I kinda envy some of these guys for having the cajones to ask her out.

Now, this is coming from not watching the video at the moment, so I'm not sure how crass some of the comments are. Some of them I'm sure are unacceptable and shouldn't have started to begin with. I'm just saying that it is hard enough trying to find someone without being considered harassment put on top of it. Makes me want to put my head down even further and say single life isn't all that bad; why not keep it going for the rest of my life?
[+]
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2014-10-30 13:32:56
Link | Quote | Reply

If women are complaining about dudes saying hello on a street they should spend an afternoon riding trains in Japan in a schoolgirl uniform.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-10-30 13:33:02
Link | Quote | Reply

As with all things, there is a happy medium in there somewhere. If you're going to get offended because someone says hi to you, then you may have anger management issues. If you're going to get offended because some dude is following you and won't leave you alone until you talk to him, you may be entitled to one free groin kick.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-10-30 13:33:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Not gonna lie she was looking fly in the outfit.

Why is this news? Ask any woman in a long term relationship. After 3-6 months we men don't notice ***!
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-10-30 13:33:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it's especially cringe-worthy for grown men to wolf-whistle and lust over an attractive woman who happens to be walking past.

They all deserve a slap for that.

They also deserve a second slap, because she's not even that hot.
[+]
By volkom 2014-10-30 13:34:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-10-30 13:35:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
/facepalm

As I said before, being hit on is rarely ever not pleasurable for me. Even when it's from a gay man whom I have no interest in. That isn't to say I couldn't imagine situations when it would be, but they don't include anything posted in the video above.

The vast majority of comments are not insulting unless noticing a girls figure in itself is offensive.

Amazing use of double negatives /thread.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-30 13:37:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Not gonna lie she was looking fly in the outfit.

Why is this need? Ask any woman in a long term relationship. After 3-6 months we men don't notice ***!

Funny, doesn't she cite her outfit in the beginning as being rather plain?

Fenrir.Atheryn said: »
I think it's especially cringe-worthy for grown men to wolf-whistle and lust over an attractive woman who happens to be walking past.

They all deserve a slap for that.

They also deserve a second slap, because she's not even that hot.

She doesn't have to be, we're men.

We're pigs by nature.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-10-30 13:37:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Magnuss said: »
it is up to the man to do the initial introduction
Many girls use the pack-of-wolves approach. They'll come to you with friends to back them up and scare the ***out of the you who consequently won't make a move and cause the girl to lose interest!
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-30 13:38:46
Link | Quote | Reply

/facepalm

There's a cultural disconnect there then.

I say "Hello" or "Good morning/afternoon/evening" in public places all of the time, and it's not frowned on to do so. In fact, it's considered very rude to not do so and not to say "Hello" back, even just as a courtesy.

I'm sure that she would get very pissed off if I held the door open for her and let her walk in first, which I do to practically everyone anyway.
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
user: valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2014-10-30 13:39:29
Link | Quote | Reply

WAY BETTER:

IF WOMEN CAT CALLED MEN
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-10-30 13:41:02
Link | Quote | Reply

See, and when I try to make a move, it's always, "You're moving too fast! I need my space!" When I give them space, it's always, "Why aren't you talking to me? I've lost interest!"

Just be yourself, if by yourself I mean an entirely different person.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-10-30 13:42:51
Link | Quote | Reply

If its T-shirt and Jeans and it accentuates all the right places its not a plain old out fit. At the same time just cause a woman is dressed in an attractive out fit in public it doesnt mean its for every random guys attention.

Though in this case it technically was.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-10-30 13:42:52
Link | Quote | Reply

See, and when I try to make a move, it's always, "You're moving too fast! I need my space!" When I give them space, it's always, "Why aren't you talking to me? I've lost interest!
It's like driving with the clutch(which I know most americans aren't familiar with), you have to measure pushing and releasing in the right amount and right moment or you'll cause the car to shutdown.
[+]
By volkom 2014-10-30 13:43:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Just be yourself, if by yourself I mean an entirely different person.

[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-10-30 13:44:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
It's like driving with the clutch(which I know most americans aren't familiar with), you have to measure pushing and releasing in the right amount and right moment or you'll cause the car to shutdown.

And the give and take with clutch transmission is different with every car...
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
user: valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2014-10-30 13:47:28
Link | Quote | Reply

And that's why it's so much easier to just get an automatic. In the actual scenario this applies as well.
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-10-30 13:48:26
Link | Quote | Reply

And oftentimes just when you think you've gotten the hang of it, the transmission takes a nosedive and the slightest bump will cause it to rupture sending fluid and gears everywhere.

Or, it turns into a lawnmower in mid-gear shift.
[+]
By fractalvoid 2014-10-30 13:48:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
She doesn't have to be, we're men.

We're pigs by nature.

speak for yourself
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-10-30 13:49:15
Link | Quote | Reply

And oftentimes just when you think you've gotten the hang of it, the transmission takes a nosedive and the slightest bump will cause it to rupture sending fluid and gears everywhere.

Or, it turns into a lawnmower in mid-gear shift.
That's just called period.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-30 13:49:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Valli said: »

And that's why it's so much easier to just get an automatic. In the actual scenario this applies as well.

The automatics are no fun to drive tho. True, they do get your from point A to point B but they can't compete with the thrilling nature of a manual.
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-10-30 13:50:16
Link | Quote | Reply

But everyone should have an automatic as a backup.
[+]
First Page 2 ... 8 9 10