0.o looks more like a ram stick then a ssd
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-12-01 10:41:50
Link | Quote | Reply

It connects to an M.2 slot on the motherboard, in fact the one Sav linked is what I used for my OS and primary storage on my newly build PC.

Obviously make sure the motherboard you buy has an M.2 connector, most modern ones will.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2015-12-01 10:51:55
Link | Quote | Reply

That's essentially all SSD's are anyway, sticks of memory. Take a bunch of really fast flash NVRAM chips, connect them to a custom ARM CPU with some RAM and a small OS stored on firmware and *poof* you have a SSD. These thing really do have a small Operating System running them which is completely invisible to the PC. They were made in the 2.5 inch form factor to be compatible with current computing designs but there is no absolute need for them to be made this way. A SSD can be created in any shape or size as there is no spinning platter and thus no need for a large flat surface for it to exist in. And since there is no need for a device to abstract Cylinders, Heads and Sectors (the geometry of a HDD) into Logical Blocks for the computer to address (LBA), there is no need for a host storage controller. Instead you can just connect the SSD's CPU directly to your computers I/O system via PCI Express and thus do direct data transfer between them.

Result is way lower latency and ridiculously fast speeds. That's the future of local storage.

If your interested in what they look like, look up mSATA (the old standard) and M.2 (the new one). NVMe utilizes the M.2 interface to connect with up to four PCI express lanes.

Basically they are taking some enterprise class technology and making it work in the home.

3.2TB PCI-express SSD
2.8GBps (byte not bit)
$15,000 USD

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HU0LT8/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687662&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00IYEUUUO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1YTQ0AKFVGW819ECMXPZ
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-12-01 12:33:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Basically they are taking some enterprise class technology and making it work in the home.
+ just for that'
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-12-01 12:35:32
Link | Quote | Reply

32 reviews on that.. im shocked so many ppl are getting them. 15k holy .... (and they cant even spring for free shipping..) And then a 20% 1 star rating. I cant imagin spending that kinda money and then thinking that.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-12-01 12:39:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
can just get this:

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Professional-System-Builder-Packaging/dp/B00H09BOXQ

then "upgrade" to 10 (if you really want it, I wouldn't recommend it for you, personally) then you can use the M$ provided tool to make 10 media.

Same thing?
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-12-01 12:41:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Hell lets not stop with plain ole regular SATA SSD's, lets go all out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147466

how does this even connect to the MB? All pcie slots iv seen require the cards to have there connectors on the bottom. Sticking that in in that direction would leave it standing width wise (thus not fitting)
VIP
By Jassik 2015-12-01 13:09:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »

how does this even connect to the MB? All pcie slots iv seen require the cards to have there connectors on the bottom. Sticking that in in that direction would leave it standing width wise (thus not fitting)

It just uses the narrower PCI slots. And, yes, it stands vertically. Intel has some pretty hardcore PCIe SSD's out now that are surprisingly affordable, if maximum speed is a concern.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-12-01 18:41:44
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a M.2 connector

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97%20Extreme6/

Zoom in and you can see the connector in the space between the PCIe slots.

They are just PCIe x2 or x4 connectors that mount horizontally instead of vertically.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-12-01 18:46:01
Link | Quote | Reply

ultra M.2 spot i take it. Interesting, never saw that before.
By Jetackuu 2015-12-02 07:38:29
Link | Quote | Reply

can just get this:

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Professional-System-Builder-Packaging/dp/B00H09BOXQ

then "upgrade" to 10 (if you really want it, I wouldn't recommend it for you, personally) then you can use the M$ provided tool to make 10 media.

Same thing?

Yes, just more expensive.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-12-02 11:37:12
Link | Quote | Reply

they were the same when i posted that'

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Jetackuu 2015-12-02 12:34:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
Could also scalp a code off of someone in a college or something that is part of Microsoft Dreamspark.

I have built a few PCs for people that way.
I miss having my dreamspark account.
 Asura.Ninjaface
user: Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2015-12-02 12:36:28
Link | Quote | Reply

there are also student discount programs. I'd check your bookstore if you're in college.
By Jetackuu 2015-12-02 12:53:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ninjaface said: »
there are also student discount programs. I'd check your bookstore if you're in college.

The trick with some of those is that often it's only good for while you're a student, once you leave, you're supposed to wipe it. May as well use windows loader at that point.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-12-03 11:52:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Figured I'd drop this here, as I was reading an article today about it:

article said:
If you are using bootable installation media to perform a clean install on a PC that has never been upgraded to Windows 10 and activated, you will need to enter a product key. Beginning with build 10586, you can enter a product key from a matching edition of Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1.
[+]
 Asura.Ninjaface
user: Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2015-12-03 13:00:57
Link | Quote | Reply

The trick with some of those
I meant program in a different sense. like, a discount program as opposed to a discounted program. I hope that made sense.
By Jetackuu 2015-12-03 15:14:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ninjaface said: »
The trick with some of those
I meant program in a different sense. like, a discount program as opposed to a discounted program. I hope that made sense.
I know.