New Desktop
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-27 17:04:40
Link | Quote | Reply

My turn. Yay. -_-

Not sure when i can afford one, but i figured that would be easier to determine if i actually new what i was going to get.

Ive had a lot of tech issues with my machines lately, so i wanted to at least start looking into this. No big surprise tho. My one comp is just about to start its 13th year with me, and my current one is still around 7~ years old. So issues have been arising. (Even without those issues, i still wanted to get a new system one of these days.)

So i figured id try looking for a new system. Seemed like a better first step then Mosin's suggestion.
Siren.Mosin said: »
burn the whole house down & start over with things that work.

I was looking more to the gaming/video side. While i dont need anything 'state of the art' you can see that i use these systems for a good long time. So i would like to get something that will still be decent in years to come. And i don't rly care if its premade/kit/piece by piece. As long as it suits the needs.

Last time i had looked i can across this bare-bones kit for $580.
It comes with:

Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz, LGA-1150 Socket, 22nm - BX80646I54690 ($225 individually)

Asus Z97 Motherboard - Intel Socket LGA1150, Intel Z97 Chipset, SLI/CrossFireX Support, ATX - Z97-AR ($150 individually)

Kingston HyperX Fury Red 8GB Desktop Memory Module Kit - 1866MHz DDR3, CL10, DIMM - HX318C10FR/8 ($130 individually)

WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive, Solid Performance for Everyday Computing - 3.5" - Sata 6 Gb/s, 7200RPM, 64MB Cache, 2yr Warranty - WD10EZEX (Don't plan on using; but $55 individually)

SolidGear 650W Power Supply - ATX, Single 12V Rail, 120mm Nano Fan, Anti-radiation Filter, Short Circuit, Over Voltage & Over Power Protection - SDGR-650E ($45 individually)

Thermaltake Versa H23 Mid-Tower Case w/ Window - Micro-ATX, ATX, SPCC Material, 1x 120mm Fan, 7 Expansion Slots - CA-1B1-00M1WN-01 ($50 individually)

kit $580 / individually $655 (600 if you don't count the WD blue hdd i don't want)
So i would either get a new hdd, or see if the one i have is compatible. But i would still need a video card. (and all those prices were from tiger direct since i was comparing individual to kit; and kit was from TD.)

I wanted to see if there was any better value/dollar, or quality of product over looked; as it would be my first time getting a comp by kit or pieces.
By Jetackuu 2014-10-27 21:25:50
Link | Quote | Reply

May as well get the kit and have an extra storage hard drive for shits and giggles. (or in my case: torrenting before I upload the stuff to my server).
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-27 21:38:41
Link | Quote | Reply

if it came down to kit vs individual i would get the kit. Still a better dollar value. I was just wondering if i could do better with something else. - of course it may not matter, might have to start looking for a new place soon....
 Ragnarok.Rezeak
Server: Ragnarok
user: Rezeak
By Ragnarok.Rezeak 2014-10-28 16:49:47
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.amazon.com/Solid-Gear-ATX12V-650-Watts-SDGR-650E/dp/B00A8ZZUXO#customerReviews

Yea I'd avoid that PSU

What GPU ya getting and you would be better off with 16gb of ram.

Mother board and CPU are solid choices tho
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-28 17:03:45
Link | Quote | Reply

not sure on gpu yet. Figured id check what i had already before looking into that.

Of course 16gb ram would be better off then 8gb. But at almost $100 a stick, i figured it could wait for my budget to catch up some day. (my current one only has max 4x1gb, and the other one a max 1gbx2. So even only 8 will probably seem pretty good in comparison.)

Reviews don't seem to friendly toward that PSU on that link for sure. But changing that raises two concerns.
First; i already don't rly want that Hdd, if i add the psu to that list, that's 2 outa 6 items i wouldn't be using. Buying the kit is $580, buying just the four items wanted is $555 on there own. Which is only $25 less. Even if not intending to use them, $25 for both doesn't seem bad. But at what point for me would buying extra become just a waste. :/
Second; and more obviously, would be which psu to chose'
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-31 13:53:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Continuing to look products over. I was going though multiple motherboards comparing them (as well as price both individually and in bundles). Ironically, the one i came up with (form what i went through at least) turned out to be a version if the kit listed above.

Its another Barebones kit for $830

Intel Core i7-4790 Processor - 8MB Smart Cache, 3.6GHz, 22nm - BX80646I74790

Asus Z97 Motherboard - Intel Socket LGA1150, Intel Z97 Chipset, SLI/CrossFireX Support, ATX - Z97-AR

Kingwin CFBL-012LB LED Case Fan - 120mm, Blue

Cougar Solution Black Steel Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - 1x120mm Cougar Turbine Hyper-Spin Bearing Fan, USB 3.0 port, Water Cooling Ready, Supports 320mm Long VGA Card, Air Filter Included

SolidGear 650W Power Supply - ATX, Single 12V Rail, 120mm Nano Fan, Anti-radiation Filter, Short Circuit, Over Voltage & Over Power Protection - SDGR-650E

WD Black 2TB Desktop Hard Drive - 3.5", SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB Buffer - WD2003FZEX

Kingston HyperX Fury Red 8GB Desktop Memory Module Kit - 1866MHz DDR3, CL10, DIMM - HX318C10FR/8

Difference from first kit to second (this) kit

$580 - $830
i5-4690 - i7-4790
1 8gb memory - 2 8gb memory
WD Blue 1tb Hdd - WD Black 2TB Hdd

Motherboard same for both
Psu same for both (may need to replace)
Case different

So, an extra $150. Different processor, an extra memory stick and a HDD i can actually use. Along with 2 low cost fans.

The case can hold up to 5 fans total. two on top, two in front, 1 on bottom next to psu. (Would fan on bottom make any sense?) Kit comes with two fans, so i could just get 2 or 3 more of the same kind.

which would leave me needing...
Cpu cooler
GPU
cd/dvd Drive
OS
And i assume i need the ribbons/connections for drives to MB.

Am i missing or over looking anything?

---

Edit: jotting down items as i look at things.
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan

ITE-ON Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS118-04 - OEM

Are cd/dvd rom drives and cables from drives to MB universal? Or have they been quality updated at all? Plenty of old dells lying around that i could take cables/drives out of if they would actually work.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [392 days between previous and next post]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-11-27 18:01:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Bump!
ok, maybe third times the charm.. My old systems are starting to show there age a lot lately. They are still decently functional but im not sure for how much longer without an overhaul and upgrades. So i want to start looking for a new system; Again.. Tho with a little more urgency now. Would suck to wake up and realise i waited to long and nothings working. Iv had those days, not fun. Fortunately they were fixable in time, but i dont wanna press my luck.

So not looking to spend a fourtion being on disability and everything. But no point in spending money on a machine that will be less then good in a few years. My current two desktops are a 2007/08 and 2002. So i like to get my worth outa them. And id like something that in time will still be a decent machine.

Looking at kits i came up with this one last night. (the bundles in previous posts are no longer available fyi)

Intel Core i7-4790K Processor - Quad Core, 4.0GHz, 8MB Cache, Up to 4.40 GHz, 2 Memory Channels, 16 Max PCI Express Lanes - BX80646I74790K

GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD3H Z97 ATX Motherboard - LGA1150 Socket, Intel Z97 Express Chipset, 4X DDR3 Memory, Max. 32GB - GA-Z97X-UD3H

Kingston HyperX Fury Red 8GB Desktop Memory Module Kit - 1866MHz DDR3, CL10, DIMM - HX318C10FR/8

Seagate 2TB Internal Desktop Hard Drive- 3.5" Form Factor, SATA III 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache, OEM Package - ST2000DM001

Thermaltake TR-600 TR2 ATX Power Supply - 600W, 120mm Fan, Cable Managment Optimized

Cougar Solution Black Steel Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - 1x120mm Cougar Turbine Hyper-Spin Bearing Fan, USB 3.0 port, Water Cooling Ready, Supports 320mm Long VGA Card, Air Filter Included

The Thermaltake TR-600 TR2 ATX Power Supply seems to be a better quality then the SolidGear 650W Power Supply thats in most of the kits.
Two sticks of 8gb ram is always nice.
Im not sure about the Seagate hdd's tho. I dont recall ever dealing with there products.
Case only looks likes its designed to have 2 usb ports :/
Not sure on a Graphics card, havnt gotten that far.

Thoughts?
 Odin.Slore
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2015-11-27 18:18:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I would also check http://www.newegg.com, I know your looking for a kit but they have alot of white box premade systems that exceed your other quote for less money.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-11-27 18:23:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
Im not sure about the Seagate hdd's tho. I dont recall ever dealing with there products.

Seagate drives are among the, if not the, most reliable drives on the market.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-11-27 18:23:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Slore said: »
I would also check http://www.newegg.com, I know your looking for a kit but they have alot of white box premade systems that exceed your other quote for less money.

its not that im looking for a kit, its that kits generally seemed to be more cost efficient. I was looking on new egg yesterday as well, but i dont know what was going on because the site was not navigating correctly at all.
 Odin.Slore
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2015-11-27 18:31:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I just got off it, it seems to be working fine when I was looking for you. Go to computers>gaming systems and look there. there was a nice complete i5 kit with hdd for like 550. for like $100 more they got some i7's.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-11-27 19:33:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Slore said: »
Yeah I just got off it, it seems to be working fine when I was looking for you. Go to computers>gaming systems and look there. there was a nice complete i5 kit with hdd for like 550. for like $100 more they got some i7's.

yea... i somehow keep ending up looking at price tags like these for some reason..
(tho it does look nice, ill give it that lol)
By darkk 2015-11-27 19:40:29
Link | Quote | Reply

What is your total system budget? If you tell me your total budget I can show you some nice builds.

First of all, you will want an SSD. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147372&cm_re=850_evo-_-20-147-372-_-Product

$71 for a 250gb, a solid deal.

Again, I can't really know which GPU to choose because I don't know your budget - but this is a pretty solid card for $169.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487091
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2015-11-27 19:46:09
Link | Quote | Reply

If you want a serious boost to your PC without spending a lot more then one of the first upgrades you'll want to make would be getting an SSD instead of an HDD or if you really need the space, get both and use the SSD as your boot drive and installing programs you care about performance on and then everything else gets tossed on to your storage drive.

They've really come down in prices lately and HDD's are one of the largest bottlenecks for a PC.

Edit: Didn't see Darkk's post before I posted but just say yes to SSD.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-11-27 19:59:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Room in and of itself i actually dont have much of a problem with. My current hdd is 1tb and only shows 68.1gb used. Im sure it would be a bit more if i could do more of the things id like to. But it goes to show im not hurting for that last inch of room.

darkk said: »
What is your total system budget? If you tell me your total budget I can show you some nice builds.
damn, they have gone down a bit. Last time i remember looking they were a few hundred dollars so i brushed that off.

total system budget is subjectable. I dont rly have a figure for that. If needed i could probably go around the 1k mark. Tho less cost is always nice. But i need something that will last, and be effective years from now as well as for today. My second desktop is almost 15 years old now. So i use the hell outa them. So id rather something that will work good and last, over cheap. (Tho im not looking at no damn 2k systems. Thats just crazy) So im trying to build/find a solid comp and then ill see what i can do to work around the cost. (If any of that made sense.)
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-11-27 20:02:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
If you want a serious boost to your PC without spending a lot more then one of the first upgrades you'll want to make would be getting an SSD instead of an HDD or if you really need the space, get both and use the SSD as your boot drive and installing programs you care about performance on and then everything else gets tossed on to your storage drive.

They've really come down in prices lately and HDD's are one of the largest bottlenecks for a PC.

Edit: Didn't see Darkk's post before I posted but just say yes to SSD.

Iv made some upgrades to my current desktop over the years, but i dont think its really worth it any more. Is a 2007/08 Pentium dual core, 2ghz, 4gb Max memory, running on xp. Seems like a better idea to get a new one at this point.
By darkk 2015-11-27 20:11:05
Link | Quote | Reply

OP, do you need keyboard/mouse/monitor/operating system?

I can build you a budget pc in the next few hours (just about to get ready to leave) and let me know how you like it.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2015-11-27 20:25:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Iv made some upgrades to my current desktop over the years, but i dont think its really worth it any more. Is a 2007/08 Pentium dual core, 2ghz, 4gb Max memory, running on xp. Seems like a better idea to get a new one at this point.

The way I worded that may have indicated that I meant upgrading to your 2007 machine and while that would make a significant improvement to your old machine as well, I think that 2007 is a bit too old to be worried about keeping alive. What I meant is that in general SSD's have a great performance to price ratio so it's a good upgrade to the NEW pc you were planning on buying. All the setups you kept showing had HDD's in them which is going to hurt your build and squander that i7's abilities.

Now after you do this full pc, it might be worth upgrading a part here and there every year to keep current. It's difficult for me to plunk down 1k even after several years to buy an entirely new pc but if I break it in to chunks over the years I can just slowly replace each part. Though some things like MB and CPU have to be replaced at the same time depending on sockets but it makes it much easier on the wallet.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-11-27 20:30:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I can build you a budget pc in the next few hours (just about to get ready to leave) and let me know how you like it.

would be interesting to see what you can come up with for sure.
i have keyboards/mouses/monitors. The only OS i have are xp, so i do need to get a new one. I was considering the new win10 just for the probable length of support. (xp is cancelled).

Not sure what ill end up with (obviously, since im asking for opinions). But to start with (get an idea) i was looking at things like the i7 4ghz, 32+gb memory capable (tho im sure it would be some time before i reached max), at least a 1tb hdd, and a good graphics card (graphics cards im not very familiar with so i cant rly give a good spec on that.) Everything subject to change since i only have a slight basic knowledge of what im doing here'
By darkk 2015-11-27 20:35:39
Link | Quote | Reply

i have keyboards/mouses/monitors. The only OS i have are xp, so i do need to get a new one. I was considering the new win10 just for the probable length of support. (xp is cancelled).

Not sure what ill end up with (obviously, since im asking for opinions). But to start with (get an idea) i was looking at things like the i7 4ghz, 32+gb memory capable (tho im sure it would be some time before i reached max), at least a 1tb hdd, and a good graphics card (graphics cards im not very familiar with so i cant rly give a good spec on that.) Everything subject to change since i only have a slight basic knowledge of what im doing here'

got you OP.

I'm leaving now, when I return I will make some mock builds for you around $1000 and tell me what you think.

until then!

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-27 23:36:23
Link | Quote | Reply

You may consider going the AMD route if longevity is a factor. Mainly because a Phenom + Radeon combo is much more bang for your buck.

Outside of that, any 64 bit OS will do you fine. I don't know if new copies of 7 ultimate have the free upgrade to 10, but I would think that would be your best bet cost-wise as well as for compatibility if you're playing older games. And, you would be able to upgrade to 10 anytime you like. (You'd need to verify the upgrade, although I have been able to use previously un-activated 7 keys with the upgrade app)

Definitely consider an SSD, even a small one for just the OS and whatever game you're playing at the moment, and keep in mind, the OS will create a paging file equal to the amount of RAM installed, so the SSD should be large enough to accommodate that as well. For example: 60GB for OS install, 8-20GB for a game, 16GB to match the RAM. You would want at least a 96GB SSD. If you install 32GB of RAM, 112GB and so on. Luckily, they're getting pretty cheap and a 250GB SSD is easy to justify when building a PC from scratch.
 Bismarck.Speedyjim
Server: Bismarck
user: speedyjim
By Bismarck.Speedyjim 2015-11-28 00:05:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
To build a deaktop PC without an SSD drive nowadays is a sin.
This is def true.

Check out Youtube videos on "budget gaming pc for XX$". You'd be surprised how easy it is to build one. Earlier this year, I built my first computer and I learned everything from YT videos. Went flawlessly and have zero issues. As a former internet tech support person, most "issues" people have with their PC are user related.

To help you check if parts are compatible, visit out pcpartpicker.com, they have build guides and user-built PC's to help you out too. It also has a price checker, so you know you're getting the best price from multiple sites.

Don't skimp out on the CPU, Mobo and PSU. Depending on what you'll be doing with your PC, you can get away with a low-mid range GPU. Don't get single stick RAM, always dual (2x8 or 2x16).
[+]
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
Server: Fenrir
user: stikle
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2015-11-28 00:07:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I would suggest taking a look at /r/buildapcforme. Pretty handy place!
 Bismarck.Speedyjim
Server: Bismarck
user: speedyjim
By Bismarck.Speedyjim 2015-11-28 00:10:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Since you're not very knonwledgable on GPU's, check out LinusTechTips, HardwareCanucks and/or JayzTwoCents over on YT. They have reviews of lower to higher end ones.
[+]
By darkk 2015-11-28 01:56:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey OP,

This is a BEAST budget build I put together for you that is just under $1000 after some MIR

The GTX 970 will allow you to play most AAA titles at 60fps running full HD.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kjBG99

Price at time of build was under $1000, but seems to have fluctuated a bit higher now.

It'll be +-$50 which isn't a big deal considering all of the parts are top tier.

I hope you enjoy :)
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-11-28 19:09:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Jassik said: »
You may consider going the AMD route if longevity is a factor. Mainly because a Phenom + Radeon combo is much more bang for your buck.

can you elaborate on that? Whats the functional difference between amd vs Intel? What makes amd better for longevity?
I was looking at amd cpu's as well, i noticed a lot more options in the 4-5ghz range then intel, and a lot of 8 core ones. Some sufficiently cheaper to :/

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-28 19:37:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Jassik said: »

can you elaborate on that? Whats the functional difference between amd vs Intel? What makes amd better for longevity?
I was looking at amd cpu's as well, i noticed a lot more options in the 4-5ghz range then intel, and a lot of 8 core ones. Some sufficiently cheaper to :/

There is not as much difference as some would have you believe, so long as you look at the actual specs on the chip/board. The reason I say it's a good route for longevity is because you can spend about the same money and get more power with AMD/AMD or AMD/Nvidia than with Intel. Radeon graphics tend to be a little more forgiving of older games as well, but that's just in general.

Sadly, there isn't really an AMD version of the i7 right now. So, if you're determined to go with i7 levels of power, then stick with Intel. If you are content with an i5 (i7 is overkill for most applications), then consider the AMD route.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-28 19:40:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
I'm curious now if someone was rich and made the ultimate rig

- Intel Xeon E5-2698 v3 16 cores processors x 2
- SLI Nvidia GTX 980Ti x 4
- Asus Z9PE-D8 LGA2011 socket motherboard
- 256 GB DDR3 vram

Is there anything out there that could even utilize the power? lol

My current build is only an Asus board, AMD 9590, 2x GTX750xi's in SLI, SSD, 32GB DDR3 RAM, air-cooled, and I've yet to find any game I can't play at maximum settings in the 120+ FPS range that wasn't otherwise limited. And that's while watching youtube or TV on one of the other displays.
First Page 2 3 4 5