users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » Shrink wrap machine
Shrink wrap machine
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-25 13:31:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Odd topic i know. Has anyone used these before or could recommend a good cheap one? I have a few boxes i would like a nice tight shrink wrap around. Sealed on three sides. Lot of machines i saw were fairly expensive given the small amount of use i would need it for. The boxes are around 8inch long x 4inch wide x 2 inch tall. They also dont have a top, so it cant be too much pressure to rip it. But the boxes will have items in them to help support.
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2014-10-25 13:33:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Could just use plastic wrap a few times...
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-25 13:35:07
Link | Quote | Reply

no, i want it to look like a factory seal

Edit: im not sure i even want to do this. It does seem kinda dishonest. But it could also help protect the integrity of the box and items. - The box was originally sealed. And each item in the box was sealed. While the items are all still sealed, the box itself is not. And left open to the element and daily living, they have a tendency to start to break apart over time. So i was thinking about resealing them. Even tho it would seem the same, it wouldnt technically be 'factory sealed' :/
By nagokasylph 2014-10-25 13:52:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Use normal grocery store shrink wrap and heat shrink it with a hair dryer. If that doesn't work you could use those window treatment kits (they sell them at hardware stores for cold climates). Either option would look "professional" with out laying out a couple hundred dollars for an industrial shrink wrap set up. Failing that ask any friends that work at manufacturing facilities.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-10-25 14:00:05
Link | Quote | Reply

You can try making friends with someone at GameStop. The stores used to have these, so they could reseal used games.
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2014-10-25 14:03:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Professionally, get some thicker plastic wrap, put it in the oven for about a minute to 5 minutes, viola.
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2014-10-25 14:03:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to shrink wrap VHS boxes and laminate store cards in my aunt's video store. It wasn't done with a single machine, you had a wrap "bag" which you slid the box into (filled with styrofoam) and you used a heat cutter that clamped down on the open end, cut and sealed the opening and then you used an industrial heat gun to shrink the wrap. If you know anyone in an auto body or tinting shop, they more than likely have the same heat gun, just be careful not to melt a hole in it. Crimping the end...no idea. Hot butter knife maybe?
By Jetackuu 2014-10-25 14:15:23
Link | Quote | Reply

can get a heat gun for like $40 in your hardware store's paint section (apparently they're used to remove old molding or some ***).

I use mine for heat shrink when I'm wiring homemade projects.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-25 15:37:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
It wasn't done with a single machine, you had a wrap "bag" which you slid the box into (filled with styrofoam) and you used a heat cutter that clamped down on the open end, cut and sealed the opening

Thats kinda what i was thinking.

Id be warry about using a heat gun on it tho. The individual items inside are shrink warped. And since there is no top to the box, the wrap from the items will be right under the wrap over the box.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-25 15:41:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Think this might work?
I was actually going to post a different item when i saw that one. And for $15 its worth looking at atleast'
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2014-10-25 18:21:45
Link | Quote | Reply

We use something like this at work, although a slightly older model. Should do the trick :P
By Areayea 2014-10-25 18:26:21
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.use-enco.com/1/1/87226-hand-held-use-dispenser-clear-stretch-wrap-pallet-wrap.html

There's some thing I would get, I use enco a lot for work happy hunting if this not what you want.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-25 19:56:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Areayea said: »
http://www.use-enco.com/1/1/87226-hand-held-use-dispenser-clear-stretch-wrap-pallet-wrap.html

There's some thing I would get, I use enco a lot for work happy hunting if this not what you want.

looks like the stuff i used to wrap pallets when i was working at a warehouse.

Im looking at doing something similar to
or

just a little bit larger item.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-10-25 22:44:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
Think this might work?
I was actually going to post a different item when i saw that one. And for $15 its worth looking at atleast'
You'd still need a heatgun or hairdryer to shrink the new wrap. That sealer will work for the seal but it won't look good if you don't shrink it. And don't worry about what's in it, the plastic doesn't take much heat to shrink and I've done this hundreds of times to all sorts of items and they have never been damaged. Just don't over do it.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-25 22:54:04
Link | Quote | Reply

well seeing as ive never done this before, over doing it would be a fair bet. - And on the top it would literally be one layer of plastic on top of the other. (box wrap on top of item wrap since no cardboard on top of box) Some how the idea of screwing that up seems fairly decent to me :/
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-10-25 23:51:31
Link | Quote | Reply

well seeing as ive never done this before, over doing it would be a fair bet. - And on the top it would literally be one layer of plastic on top of the other. (box wrap on top of item wrap since no cardboard on top of box) Some how the idea of screwing that up seems fairly decent to me :/
It's easier than you'd think. The wrap designed for this reacts quickly so just stop as soon as it has shrunk and you're fine.

Most office supply stores that have a print center will have one of these. You might be able to see how it works there if you want. But it really is easy. Just make sure you use the right type of wrap.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-26 11:09:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
Most office supply stores that have a print center will have one of these. You might be able to see how it works there if you want. But it really is easy. Just make sure you use the right type of wrap.

yea, that was the other question on my mind after finding something to seal the wrap.... just what kind of wrap to use? Seems to be quite a selection. I dont know if theres much of a difference in the finally product between wraps, but id like it to look as close to the original wrap as possible.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-10-26 13:42:51
Link | Quote | Reply

yea, that was the other question on my mind after finding something to seal the wrap.... just what kind of wrap to use? Seems to be quite a selection. I dont know if theres much of a difference in the finally product between wraps, but id like it to look as close to the original wrap as possible.
I don't really know what type the original was but pretty much anything from here should work. Hopefully it'll be somewhat similar.

http://www.uline.com/Cls_16/Shrink-Wrap
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-26 13:59:11
Link | Quote | Reply

damn, that's a lot of different kinds. Pvc, economy polyolefin, delux polyolefin, reynolds pcs, cryovac polyolefin, opti polyolefin, heavy duty....60 gauge, 75 guage, 100 guage
By Areayea 2014-10-26 15:08:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Economy polyolefin would probably be the best bet but ya the picture helped XD I thought you were wrapping whole boxes
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-26 15:19:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Im looking at doing something similar to

or

just a little bit larger item.

Areayea said: »
Economy polyolefin would probably be the best bet but ya the picture helped XD I thought you were wrapping whole boxes

That is the size box im looking at. Just under 8" long, just under 4" wide, about 2" tall. With no top piece. The individual items inside the box are sealed, so will be right up against the plastic i would be putting over the whole case.