Toyota Honda Mazda BMW Nissan GM Recall

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Toyota Honda Mazda BMW Nissan GM Recall
Toyota Honda Mazda BMW Nissan GM Recall
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-20 15:47:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Time for me to annoy some more ppl again'

Quote:
NHTSA Urges Drivers to Take Action on Airbag Recall

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration urges owners of certain Toyota, Honda, Mazda, BMW, Nissan, and General Motors vehicles to act immediately on recall notices to replace defective Takata air bags.

The message comes with urgency, especially for owners of vehicles affected by the regional recalls in the following areas: Florida, Puerto Rico, Guam, Saipan, American Samoa, Virgin Islands and Hawaii.

Consumers that are uncertain whether their vehicle is impacted by the Takata recalls, or any other recall, can check on http://www.safercar.gov.

On the site, consumers can search by their vehicle identification number (VIN) to confirm whether their individual vehicle has an open recall that needs to be addressed. In addition, consumers can sign-up for NHTSA recall alerts, which go out before recall letters are mailed by the manufacturers to the affected owners.

Affected Vehicles, by Manufacturer, Impacted by CY 2013 and 2014 Recalls Involving Takata Airbags:

Toyota: 778,177 total number of vehicles potentially affected
2002 — 2004 Lexus SC
2003 — 2004 Toyota Corolla
2003 — 2004 Toyota Corolla Matrix
2002 — 2004 Toyota Sequoia
2003 — 2004 Toyota Tundra
2003 — 2004 Pontiac Vibe

Honda: 2,803,214 total number of potentially affected vehicles
2001 — 2007 Honda Accord (4 cyl)
2001 — 2002 Honda Accord (6 cyl)
2001 — 2005 Honda Civic
2002 — 2006 Honda CR-V
2003 — 2011 Honda Element
2002 — 2004 Honda Odyssey
2003 -2007 Honda Pilot
2006 Honda Ridgeline
2003 — 2006 Acura MDX
2002 -2003 Acura TL/CL

Nissan: 437,712 total number of potentially affected vehicles

2001 2003 Nissan Maxima
2001 — 2003 Nissan Pathfinder
2002 — 2003 Nissan Sentra
2001 — 2003 Infiniti I30/I35
2002 — 2003 Infiniti QX4
2003 Infiniti FX

Mazda: 18,050 total number of potentially affected vehicles
2003 — 2004 Mazda6
2004 Mazda RX-8

BMW: 573,935 total number of potentially affected vehicles
2000 — 2005 3 Series Sedan
2000 — 2006 3 Series Coupe
2000 — 2005 3 Series Sports Wagon
2000 — 2006 3 Series Convertible
2001 — 2006 M3 Coupe
2001 — 2006 M3 Convertible

General Motors: 133,221 total number potentially affected vehicles
2002 — 2003 Buick LeSabre
2002 — 2003 Buick Rendezvous
2002 — 2003 Cadillac DeVille
2002 — 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer
2002 — 2003 Chevrolet Impala
2002 — 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2002 — 2003 Chevrolet Venture
2002 — 2003 GMC Envoy
2002 — 2003 GMC Envoy XL
2002 — 2003 Oldsmobile Aurora
2002 — 2003 Oldsmobile Bravada
2002 — 2003 Oldsmobile Silhouette
2002 — 2003 Pontiac Bonneville
2002 — 2003 Pontiac Montana

Source
 Bahamut.Samsonxiii
Server: Bahamut
user: Spook153
By Bahamut.Samsonxiii 2014-10-20 15:49:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Aint nobody got time for that!
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-20 15:54:39
Link | Quote | Reply

it seems that what ppl dont have time for anymore is building a decent product'
[+]
By volkom 2014-10-20 15:56:45
Link | Quote | Reply

at least they inform you of the situation.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-20 15:59:05
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
at least they inform you of the situation.

... ... ... actually i found a link to that on FB sadly. I hadnt heard of it anywhere else.
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2014-10-20 17:12:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I just got a recall letter in the mail Saturday for my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer. Something to do with belts/pulleys/tensioners and something could break and cause me to lose steering and crash.

Needless to say, I got it fixed today, probably needed replaced anyways since the car is over 7 years old.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-20 17:41:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Mine was around 7 years when gm issued recalls as well. Its always nice to know they care enough to let us know.... 7 years to late
By Blazed1979 2014-10-20 18:05:34
Link | Quote | Reply

BMW 2006 M3 Coupe!!

F_ck BMW, F_ck Mpower, F_ck AC Schnitzer, F_ck Hartge, F_ck Haman.

Merc and AMG is where its at.(when was the last Mercedes recall?)
 Fenrir.Mariane
Server: Fenrir
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-10-20 18:20:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said: »

That's some angry, mean looking car. Looks like it's ready to insult you.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-10-20 19:07:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, GM doesn't give a ***.

GM's Lawsuit
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-23 09:27:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I didnt hear the specifics, but they expanded the recalls for defective airbags. (airbags exploding and throwing shrapnel at you.. ironic isnt it')
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-10-23 09:56:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Scarmiglione said: »
I just got a recall letter in the mail Saturday for my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer. Something to do with belts/pulleys/tensioners and something could break and cause me to lose steering and crash.

Needless to say, I got it fixed today, probably needed replaced anyways since the car is over 7 years old.

Steering is a mechanical system by law, what you would lose is the hydraulic assistance, aka power steering.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-10-23 09:59:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »

GM's Lawsuit

Brakes are mechanical as well, and ABS is only needed if you slam on the brakes. 50 years ago no cars had any of these comfort systems and people managed to coast to the side of the road without rolling into a ditch. I don't mean to sound insensitive, but the car had a parts failure, the driver's inexperience or inability caused the accident.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2014-10-23 10:22:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »

GM's Lawsuit

Brakes are mechanical as well, and ABS is only needed if you slam on the brakes. 50 years ago no cars had any of these comfort systems and people managed to coast to the side of the road without rolling into a ditch. I don't mean to sound insensitive, but the car had a parts failure, the driver's inexperience or inability caused the accident.

drivers 50 years ago also knew to immediately coast to the side of the road precisely because their cars didn't have these additional features on which a driver ought to be able to rely if present

come on, don't be a doofus
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-10-23 10:48:09
Link | Quote | Reply

ScaevolaBahamut said: »

GM's Lawsuit

drivers 50 years ago also knew to immediately coast to the side of the road precisely because their cars didn't have these additional features on which a driver ought to be able to rely if present

come on, don't be a doofus

A modern car CAN coast and steer and brake just like any old car without the assistance features working, there is a mechanical redundancy by law. You don't need ABS if you don't slam on the brakes like a moron, you shouldn't even with ABS.

You're basically saying that those features shouldn't exist, because people are too stupid to not burst into a ball of flame when they inevitably malfunction.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2014-10-23 11:57:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
A modern car CAN coast and steer and brake just like any old car without the assistance features working, there is a mechanical redundancy by law. You don't need ABS if you don't slam on the brakes like a moron, you shouldn't even with ABS.

so then why did we make ABS in the first place

think hard; there's a right answer!
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-10-23 12:03:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

so then why did we make ABS in the first place

think hard; there's a right answer!

ABS came about to reduce the risk of individual wheels locking under hard braking on low traction surfaces. ABS actually increases your stopping distance. In modern cars ABS serves 2 functions, to increase control during panic stops on low traction surfaces and sometimes modulated in conjunction with active handling systems. If you were driving in the winter and a moose jumped out in front of you, ABS failure would be relevant, the situation in the article was one in which the driver could literally have never touched the brake pedal and been fine.

I get the feeling you know very little about how cars actually work and have unreasonable expectations of reliability.
[+]
 Bismarck.Leneth
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Leneth 2014-10-23 12:56:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said: »
(when was the last Mercedes recall?
Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:35am EDT
By ScaevolaBahamut 2014-10-23 13:27:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I get the feeling you know very little about how cars actually work and have unreasonable expectations of reliability.

i do know, however, that ABS was developed to accommodate people slamming on their breaks, which shockingly appears to be an entirely natural reaction to feeling like you've lost control of your car
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-10-23 13:39:55
Link | Quote | Reply

i do know, however, that ABS was developed to accommodate people slamming on their breaks, which shockingly appears to be an entirely natural reaction to feeling like you've lost control of your car

Operating a car isn't about your natural reactions, that's why training is required to get a license. We make excuses for people who have no business operating a vehicle. The car had a defect, but it wasn't the cause of the accident, it was the driver's ineptitude.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2014-10-23 13:48:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Operating a car isn't about your natural reactions, that's why training is required to get a license.

an effective safety measure will certainly take these natural reactions into account, however. people slam on their brakes when they panic, and they do it so often that manufacturers developed and marketed ABS as a feature for consumers driving in areas with frequent slick/icy driving conditions, where brake-slamming is particularly dangerous

it's not good driving, nobody says it is, but shaming people for doing it when it's so common as to provoke the response at issue here is pointless and weird
By daoming 2014-10-23 13:56:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure if a car's engine gives out, ABS goes out, and then not only that your seat belt slackens because the ignition goes out, coast or not, a part failure is what is held accountable for. You can prove a part failure, you can't prove driver competence or incompetence.

Not only that, but who in the world wouldn't slam on the brakes when something happened like that? I would, I've done it before in my VW bug. It's not a pretty sight I assure you.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-10-23 13:59:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Operating a car isn't about your natural reactions, that's why training is required to get a license.

an effective safety measure will certainly take these natural reactions into account, however. people slam on their brakes when they panic, and they do it so often that manufacturers developed and marketed ABS as a feature for consumers driving in areas with frequent slick/icy driving conditions, where brake-slamming is particularly dangerous

it's not good driving, nobody says it is, but shaming people for doing it when it's so common as to provoke the response at issue here is pointless and weird

It's not about provoking a response, it's about providing perspective. For the first 100 years of the automobile, those features didn't exist and people managed to get to and from without. If nothing else, people need to stop viewing driving as something everyone has a right to. It's a privelage, and not everyone is capable of doing it.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2014-10-23 14:35:39
Link | Quote | Reply

People learn on properly functioning cars. If something breaks, most people don't know how to react to that change (and may not even notice that the ABS light is on to know that they should react).

Quote:
For the first 100 years of the automobile, those features didn't exist and people managed to get to and from without.

There were plenty of accidents, and for a large portion of those first 100 years, there were considerably less drivers on the road and they were going at much lower speeds.

Quote:
ABS actually increases your stopping distance.

This isn't completely true.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-23 14:38:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Glad I drive a Hyundai
[+]
By ScaevolaBahamut 2014-10-23 14:42:44
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not about provoking a response, it's about providing perspective.

i think i was unclear

the "response" i'm referring to is the development of ABS by the auto industry; nothing to do with our discussion/your comments

Quote:
For the first 100 years of the automobile, those features didn't exist and people managed to get to and from without.

kyte's already on this but in those dark times before stuff like seat belts driver mortality was bonkers, even at low speeds with few cars on the road

Nausi said:
Glad I drive a Hyundai

best cars on the market for the price right now, seriously
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-10-23 15:21:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »
People learn on properly functioning cars. If something breaks, most people don't know how to react to that change (and may not even notice that the ABS light is on to know that they should react).

Quote:

There were plenty of accidents, and for a large portion of those first 100 years, there were considerably less drivers on the road and they were going at much lower speeds.

Quote:
ABS actually increases your stopping distance.

This isn't completely true.

Nothing is 100% reliable, a driver has to be able to control a vehicle even if something goes wrong, and losing power steering or ABS is right up there with losing your vanity mirror lights. Some vehicles lose all braking and steering control when they stall, older diesels for example, this was a small, light, econobox, not prone to rollovers and not heavy enough to have steering issues.

ABS does increase your braking distance, there is a finite amount of energy that can be transferred from the vehicle to the ground, ABS lowers the potential stopping power everytime it modulates. What it does do is maintain better control.

I have a Class A with many endorsements, I've spent hundreds of hours in training courses and hobby raced for years. I don't expect everyone or even most people to have that kind of dedication, but anyone who can't keep the rubber side down if their power steering goes out has no business driving in the first place.