A Prime Example Of Rad Parenting

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » A Prime Example of Rad Parenting
A Prime Example of Rad Parenting
First Page 2 3 ... 18 19
 Quetzalcoatl.Setsuai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Setsuai
By Quetzalcoatl.Setsuai 2014-10-28 13:16:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Except that's never what it was about. It wasn't about her kid getting his hands on the toys. She felt it was wrong for the store to carry something that is heavily associated with drug use.

Also, as I explained before she is familiar with breaking bad as she watches and admitted she enjoyed the show. It may just be that she is unfamiliar with the other products.

I have no idea what kids jumping out of windows and finding guns has anything to do with any of this though.

It's not necessarily about her kid getting his hands on the toy. I'm just saying that there are toys out there that are just as bad and yet they still sell them. I know Toys R'us has a section dedicated to Nerf, so it's doubtful she doesn't know about nerf products.
Of course, this is merely my opinion. I apologize if it offends.

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Setsuai said: »
I doubt very seriously that they would want the bad PR from ignoring something like that.
Except they are getting bad PR anyway, regardless of the fact that they pulled the product or not.

Didn't you hear about the counter-petition or that guy's tweet because he isn't getting a royalty check anymore?

I didn't hear about that. It kinda sounds like they're getting screwed either way.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-28 13:46:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Candlejack said: »
Except that's never what it was about. It wasn't about her kid getting his hands on the toys. She felt it was wrong for the store to carry something that is heavily associated with drug use/dealing.

Also, as I explained before she is familiar with breaking bad as she watches and admitted she enjoyed the show. It may just be that she is unfamiliar with the other products.

I have no idea what kids jumping out of windows and finding guns has anything to do with any of this though.
So, you're saying a kid that goes to TRU, with his parents, buys a Superman costume, then later jumps out a fourth story window while wearing the costume, thinking he can somehow fly, isn't heavily associated with suicide. Or that a kid who finds his or her parents' guns after playing with cap pistols or nerf guns, without knowing the dangers of misusing an actual gun, and use the parents' gun to commit either a suicide, a murder, or accidental injury, aren't "as bad" as a kid getting his or her hands on a Heisenberg figure which they have to be carded under TRU's company policy to buy.
Again, you're misinterpreting the entire situation.

This particular situation and the choice the mother made to make the petition has nothing to do with anything you're talking about. It has to do with what she viewed the stores views and values to be and how she thought the sale of this toy conflicted with those values.

Nerf guns and super hero costumes, for all we know, may cause more injuries or lead to kids doing stupid things more often than this BB doll would have. It also has nothing to do with this discussion and is only being brought up by you in a further attemtp to twist the situation into something you think can change the outcome or peoples opinions on it but that couldn't be further from the truth. It only highlights that you don't seem to understand the particular motivation for this action.

There isn't enough information on the BB doll on whether kids have gotten their hands on them that are underage or whether they have a nagative effect on the mindset of the child or whether they would even have an influence.

It's more about percieved glorification of using and selling drugs. Someone took offense to it and they took this action as a remedy. Toys R Us responded. Case closed.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-28 13:53:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Except that's never what it was about. It wasn't about her kid getting his hands on the toys. She felt it was wrong for the store to carry something that is heavily associated with drug use.

It's not necessarily about her kid getting his hands on the toy. I'm just saying that there are toys out there that are just as bad and yet they still sell them. I know Toys R'us has a section dedicated to Nerf, so it's doubtful she doesn't know about nerf products.
Of course, this is merely my opinion. I apologize if it offends.

I doubt very seriously that they would want the bad PR from ignoring something like that.
Except they are getting bad PR anyway, regardless of the fact that they pulled the product or not.

Didn't you hear about the counter-petition or that guy's tweet because he isn't getting a royalty check anymore?

I didn't hear about that. It kinda sounds like they're getting screwed either way.
My reply was to Candlejack...

If you made a decision and your child came up to you and said well you let me do this other thing once before and that's actually far worse for me so you should let me do this now. Would you change your mind on the spot and let him do it?

It's not really a strong argument... This is worse so keep this other bad product on here as well... the only argument it really makes is for taking the other, more offensive products off the shelves as well as they already decided that one is bad enough for kids that its off the shelves so the others should be too!

It doesn't offend at all.

When did Nerf guns become such an issue?

As for the PR they won't really take too much heat for pulling the product as media tends to back off once they are seen to take the moral highroad and while the petition to get the toy reinstated may continue on it's hardly going to be reported in the national spotlight like a mother advocating against Toys R Us selling a toy depicting a drug king pin.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-28 13:54:18
Link | Quote | Reply

If the petition didn't get the media attention, it wouldn't have. More than likely it would have been ignored.
 Quetzalcoatl.Setsuai
By Quetzalcoatl.Setsuai 2014-10-28 14:44:36
Link | Quote | Reply

My reply was to Candlejack...

If you made a decision and your child came up to you and said well you let me do this other thing once before and that's actually far worse for me so you should let me do this now. Would you change your mind on the spot and let him do it?

It's not really a strong argument... This is worse so keep this other bad product on here as well... the only argument it really makes is for taking the other, more offensive products off the shelves as well as they already decided that one is bad enough for kids that its off the shelves so the others should be too!

It doesn't offend at all.

When did Nerf guns become such an issue?

As for the PR they won't really take too much heat for pulling the product as media tends to back off once they are seen to take the moral highroad and while the petition to get the toy reinstated may continue on it's hardly going to be reported in the national spotlight like a mother advocating against Toys R Us selling a toy depicting a drug king pin.

My apologies. Since it was related to my post, I figured I would comment on it.

No, I wouldn't. Not sure what else to say about that.

I never said they should take it off the shelves. I suppose my point is you can't protect your children from everything, unless you get rid of everything, and that's just not reasonable. They're going to eventually see something like that and ask questions or want it because its cool. I don't see how taking any of it off the shelves will help anything, because something will always take its place. I was being a little sarcastic about the other toys because it seems ridiculous to me that they would want to pull one toy off the shelf when there are so many others that still sell. Again, I'm not for taking nerf guns or the bb figurines or anything like that off the shelves. I don't particularly have a problem with them (not yet at least).

I never said nerf guns were an issue. I was just pointing out some details.

As for the last bit, it'll depend on how far this mother is willing to take it. For some reason, I can just hear the headline of "Mother starts boycott on Toys R'us for selling Breaking Bad figurines."
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-28 14:52:15
Link | Quote | Reply

No need to apologize I was just clarifying that mine was in response to his and not yours.

That you wouldn't is good. It also shows how weak that argument is. This is worse and still there so the other should never have been taken off the shelves.

I wasn't implying that you wanted them taken off the shelves. You seemed to be of the opinion that they should have been left on the shelves.

Like I've tried to explain. This was never about getting rid of everything to shelter children. This was about the stated values and views of Toys R Us and the decision to stock a toy that was in direct conflict of those stated values. One person then joined by many thousands of others reflected that opinion and toys r us responded.

I'm well aware that you can't protect kids from everthing and it's better to educate than attempt to shelter them from everything.

She's already dropped it. It's the other side that is crusading on under the leadership of the BB actors...
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Setsuai
By Quetzalcoatl.Setsuai 2014-10-28 15:36:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I must have misunderstood something, or just didn't read as thoroughly as I thought I did. That is weird that TRU would stock something like that when they're mostly patroned by children/parents of children. But it proves to me that anyone will do almost anything to make a quick buck, even if it is breaking their morals. It makes me wonder what else they'd be willing to sell if it will make them money...
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-28 15:38:00
Link | Quote | Reply

But it proves to me that anyone will do almost anything to make a quick buck, even if it is breaking their morals.
I don't believe Toys R Us has an ethics or morals statement. This isn't an <insert religion> company.
By volkom 2014-10-28 15:51:49
Link | Quote | Reply

So on the TRU website. There is no age category that's considered 'adult'~ Its called 'big kids' which implies ages 15+...

Some items that are considered 'big kid' are:

-Django Unchained movie
-Poker games
-Rated M videogames
-adult themed board games

on a separate search under just 'collectibles'
can find action figures for
-sin city
-various horror icons (like freddy/roy/jason)
-sons of anarchy~

probably not in the same boat as breaking bad...but prolly not something you want kids to buy into? /shrug
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-28 15:58:05
Link | Quote | Reply

But it proves to me that anyone will do almost anything to make a quick buck, even if it is breaking their morals.
I don't believe Toys R Us has an ethics or morals statement. This isn't an <insert religion> company.
They have their "vision & values" stated on their web page. It's been posted in this thread already a bit back.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-28 16:03:23
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
So on the TRU website. There is no age category that's considered 'adult'~ Its called 'big kids' which implies ages 15+...

-Django Unchained movie
-Poker games
-Rated M videogames

-sin city
-sons of anarchy~

probably not in the same boat as breaking bad...but prolly not something you want kids to buy into? /shrug
It would have to imply ages 18+ as they have M rated games and Rated R movies in that list.
By volkom 2014-10-28 16:05:39
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »

-Django Unchained movie
-Poker games
-Rated M videogames

-sin city
-sons of anarchy~

It would have to imply ages 18+ as they have M rated games and Rated R movies in that list.
It should imply 18+ but to their website their list of age categories are:
birth-12mo
12-24mo
2-4 yrs
5-7yrs
8-11 yrs
12-14yrs
big kids...

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-10-31 22:07:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, I thought CoD lego's and action figures was a little odd. The difference being that the CoD crossovers are actually targeted at children, unlike the Breaking Bad figures.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-10-31 22:24:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Candlejack said: »
Odin.Jassik said: »
Honestly, I thought CoD lego's and action figures was a little odd. The difference being that the CoD crossovers are actually targeted at children, unlike the Breaking Bad figures.
Same with the Halo Megablocks. But still, same thing applies, the mother trying to get Target to pull them is a stupid *** that needs to get her arse back in the kitchen where she belongs.

Well that couldn't be misinterpreted at all...
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-11-22 19:35:05
Link | Quote | Reply

bump this back up real quick..

saw something when i was out that made me think if this topic. More specifically the argument i keep hearing from ppl on here trying to justify these actions because toys are us 'is a kid oriented store'. (Which i find to be kind of a bad reasoning considering were all (or mostly at least) adults on a gaming site. To think a ton of teens and adults are not in stores like that as well is kinda crazy.)

But that aside... in regards to age targeting at toys are us, i think thats misplaced. They actually have BABIES r Us and KIDS r Us. Now that is actually an age targeting. 'Toys' is not age targeting. They carry plenty of stuff for adult interest. ... They just cant make a store targeted to adults, because an 'adult toy store' brings to mind something entirely different...
First Page 2 3 ... 18 19