Windows 10??

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Windows 10??
Windows 10??
First Page 2
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-09-30 23:30:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Microsoft unveils Windows 10

Waitafricking minuet....

The odd numbered Windows are the ones that work right?

Does this mean we get two stinkers in a row?

Full disclosure: I run 8.1 with the start button addon. Its almost like 7.
 Bahamut.Protectorchrono
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Protectorchrono 2014-09-30 23:47:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Microsoft...slow down...pretty please? With strawberry ice cream and cherries on top?
By Jetackuu 2014-10-01 00:00:06
Link | Quote | Reply

This is my favorite part so far:

Quote:
Microsoft is also refreshing some geeky features, like the command prompt. For example, for the first time, "control v" will allow you to paste text into the command window.

it's about *** time.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-10-01 00:03:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

Quote:
Microsoft is also refreshing some geeky features, like the command prompt. For example, for the first time, "control v" will allow you to paste text into the command window.

it's about *** time.

Everything command prompty you'd ever do would be in powershell anyway.
By Jetackuu 2014-10-01 00:06:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »

Quote:

it's about *** time.

Everything command prompty you'd ever do would be in powershell anyway.

I use the command prompt for a lot of things, and have never used powershell, but then again I've never needed to. Having that ability would have saved me some headache about a year ago though, not much but it would have been nice.

I have no real need for powershell, I'm not a domain admin. (I'm planning on cracking out the material and reading up on it and trying it out soon though, I've just been busy with other things).

But if nothing else to be able to paste ips or names in, or paths for the one off where I find myself doing that, it's nice. But to each their own.
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
Server: Lakshmi
user: ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2014-10-01 00:10:14
Link | Quote | Reply

what happened to windows 9?
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-10-01 00:13:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Ryanx said: »
what happened to windows 9?
If this is "Threshold" then it's windows 9.

Windows 9 was what it was called outside of Microsoft.

Quote:
The project, known for the past few years as "Threshold" inside the software company and "Windows 9" outside it, will likely get an entirely new brand, or just be called Windows, analysts said, ahead of its full release early next year.
http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/44051/windows-9s-big-surprise/2/#2719788

Up until today/yesterday it only had a project name within Microsoft.

Looks like they went with 10 for some strange marketing reason.
By Jetackuu 2014-10-01 00:18:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Or rather put, I'm more of a keyboard user than a mouse user when it comes to actual work, and flip flopping between windows and linux it throws me off, I'm happy for it, don't care much otherwise, I'll give it a whirl when it's available on dreamspark.
 Fenrir.Mariane
Server: Fenrir
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-10-01 00:48:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

it's about *** time.

wat

You know you can copy and paste on the command window even on Windows 2000 ? But because control-c and control-v are control codes on terminal window they have a different method to do the copy/paste.

So now, they're dumbing that down at what cost ? Breaking terminal stuff ? lol

Anyway the real rant here, from me is that every time they update Windows they go out of their way to make sure old programs stop working.

They fail to realize THAT is the REAL REASON why people refuse to "dive in" on newer OSes.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-10-01 00:55:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, and I agree with you, they need to do a lot more for backwards compatibility and stop hindering it. It just raises costs. I guess they get the money either way because then they'll pay for extended support (like the companies who are still on XP right now do) instead of just migrating their licensing.

Hell I applaud XP mode in 7 (now defunct iirc) but it was still rather incomplete, and a pain in the *** when they could just do more to implement older programs. But I'm preaching to a higher level preacher here.
 Fenrir.Mariane
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-10-01 01:04:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I refuse to update simply because a lot of hardware I own (including some tools of trade like a chip programmer) only work on XP. I tried it on Windows 7 and it didn't work at all.

I am sure MS knows all this but I believe they feel they have rights to tell us what we need.

Well that work for Apple... What Microsoft fail to realize is that their clients aren't complete "iDIOT"s like people buying APPLE stuff.
YouTube Video Placeholder

Enough was said. Watch the video. It's hilarious.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-10-01 01:27:21
Link | Quote | Reply

even in 32bit it didn't work?

Have you tried using something like vmware thinapp?
 Fenrir.Mariane
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-10-01 01:29:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't like VMs. Anyway if I were to use a VM I would just keep the older computer around. More practical.

I also only use desktops I am not a fan of laptops.
By Jetackuu 2014-10-01 01:33:10
Link | Quote | Reply

and I just watched that, was great.
By Jetackuu 2014-10-01 01:37:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Mariane said: »

I don't like VMs. Anyway if I were to use a VM I would just keep the older computer around. More practical.

I also only use desktops I am not a fan of laptops.

I didn't say use a VM I said have you tried something like vmware thinapp? there's a difference, if only small. I'd rather throw something on a vm than deal with extra hardware laying around, hard drive space is cheap and easily backed up vs physical hardware that could crap out and have an array of problems, even if I can fix them, vms are just simpler. But thinapp basically would make the program think it's running in another version of windows while still being on your main OS, will usually see the same ports and everything, but it can be interesting to set up. I've fiddled with cameyo and I've seen spoon as well.

It's application visualization, it's nice to also make portable versions of some things. But it would just be easier if M$ didn't break ***all the time.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-10-08 11:19:35
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-10-08 11:23:30
Link | Quote | Reply

It turns out some opinions by independent sources claim there's probably a technical reason for it, having to deal with the Windows 9x line, how accurate that is we probably won't ever know as well we don't have the source code, and I doubt M$ is going to spill the beans.
 Fenrir.Atheryn
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-10-08 11:32:04
Link | Quote | Reply

some opinions by independent sources claim there's probably a technical reason for it

Probably because Microsoft thinks it sounds better.
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-10-08 11:36:03
Link | Quote | Reply

INB4 Microsoft announces that it's not "Windows 10", it's "Windows IO" (eye-oh).
By volkom 2014-10-08 11:57:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Or its really 8.2
 Shiva.Katharyn
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Katharyn 2014-10-08 12:07:39
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
Or its really 8.2

It runs windows 8.1 drivers, so technically it is just 8.2 with UI changes and some other optimizations (and really really flat). Much like how 7 is basically vista with a more optimized core and runtimes.

I need to spend some more time with it and test games and other programs. See what breaks between 7 and 10. But my free HDD space is limited :/
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-08 12:36:32
Link | Quote | Reply

As long as they bring back the Start Menu, I'm happy.
Server: Asura
By Asura.Leonlionheart 2014-10-08 12:37:45
Link | Quote | Reply

It turns out some opinions by independent sources claim there's probably a technical reason for it, having to deal with the Windows 9x line, how accurate that is we probably won't ever know as well we don't have the source code, and I doubt M$ is going to spill the beans.

A Microsoft dev explaining why they can't use Microsoft 9

TL;DR: Many old programs use "Windows 9" as an identifier for both Windows 95 and 98.

Edit: More proof: https://searchcode.com/?q=if%28version%2Cstartswith%28%22windows+9%22%29
 Shiva.Katharyn
By Shiva.Katharyn 2014-10-08 12:51:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
As long as they bring back the Start Menu, I'm happy.

The start menu is there, it's just now a blend of win7 and 8 styles, but can be adjusted to some degree.

I've only used it a few times so far, and my only gripe thus far is the lack of Aero. The whole desktop just comes off so plain and flat, it could use some life from Aero or other such visual enhancements.

I need to fiddle with it some more and determine program compatibility rates.
By Jetackuu 2014-10-08 13:37:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I wasn't aware that M$ confirmed the outside sources claim yet, carry on.

Want a start menu? use classic shell and have it operate how you want it to.
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-08 14:47:34
Link | Quote | Reply

wonder if it will be worth getting...
Was thinking of getting a new comp recently, tho thats pushed back a good bit due to funding. But i was wondering what OS i wanted to use with it... maybe 10 will be decent'
By Jetackuu 2014-10-08 19:19:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd probably still stick with 7 for now, I'll be testing this as soon as it's up on MSDN but I haven't looked to see when that is.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-10-08 19:29:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Leonlionheart said: »

TL;DR: Many old programs use "Windows 9" as an identifier for both Windows 95 and 98.

Edit: More proof: https://searchcode.com/?q=if%28version%2Cstartswith%28%22windows+9%22%29
Sloppy programming and lazy marketing, go Microsoft!
[+]
 Shiva.Katharyn
By Shiva.Katharyn 2014-10-09 01:47:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd probably still stick with 7 for now, I'll be testing this as soon as it's up on MSDN but I haven't looked to see when that is.

Why not just download the technical preview and start fiddling with it? That's what I did.

Your text to link here...
 Quetzalcoatl.Kyrial
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Kyrial
By Quetzalcoatl.Kyrial 2014-10-09 02:24:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Asura.Leonlionheart said: »

Sloppy programming and lazy marketing, go Microsoft!
If you actually looked at the picture, it was third-party programming that was doing that. Not Microsoft's. :P
First Page 2