Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » DNA: genetic variation in a single body
DNA: genetic variation in a single body
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-09-23 02:03:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Really interesting article about DNA analysis that has advanced our understanding of the human body and created more questions.

DNA double take

Whole article spoiled because the NYTimes has an inconsistent paywall. The linked article cites multiple sources if you are interested in reading more about each story presented.

Edit:
the act of having a child is not a one-way transmission of genetic material
There is an exchange of DNA that passes into the mother
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-09-23 02:06:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry for the double forum topic. Looks like I had a time delay issue.
[+]
 Asura.Ackeronll
Server: Asura
user: Ackeron
By Asura.Ackeronll 2014-09-23 02:44:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Jesus I just woke up and the bait is already laid out for the crazy creationists -vs- evolutionists from the last 2 days retard death match.

Since I know there is no way of stopping it, carry on and stuff.

[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-09-23 02:47:39
Link | Quote | Reply

what..?

Didn't read the article, I'm guessing.
[+]
 Bismarck.Leneth
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Leneth 2014-09-23 03:38:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I heard about the chimerism on the radio last year. Was quite sure it was about a south american women, but only found this very similair story now about a brittish one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lydia_Fairchild
In the german article a documentation ('The twin inside me') is mentioned, but haven't watched it so I cannot say anything about it's quality or setup.
Either way it's very interesting theme of which the scale is far from known.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-09-23 10:11:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Refreshazure said: »

Wow that is actually quite fascinating that is actually incredibly rare mutation that I didn't even know about ( cool your jets it's a politically correct scientific term) Hopefully she submitted to study Cause there are amazing about her and humanity that could be learned.
The article in the OP is discussing how this (chimierism) is not actually that rare.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-09-23 16:07:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »
Really interesting article about DNA analysis that has advanced our understanding of the human body and created more questions.

This phenomena isn't a complete shocker to the biosci community, its been observed ever since the discovery of retroviruses. They function by changing the genome of very specific host cells. If you think about it retroviruses have been changing genomes of other species for millions of years.

Dogs and Humans share DNA thanks to Viruses
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-09-23 16:25:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »

This phenomena isn't a complete shocker to the biosci community, its been observed ever since the discovery of retroviruses. They function by changing the genome of very specific host cells. If you think about it retroviruses have been changing genomes of other species for millions of years.

Dogs and Humans share DNA thanks to Viruses
I don't think the actual chimerism is the shocker, just at how common it is (particularly in contrast to how it is taught).

That, and the mechanism for retroviral injection versus familial/sibling transferral is somewhat different.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-09-23 16:37:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
a region crucial to the consolidation of memories -- and in the parietal and temporal lobes of the brain's prefrontal cortex, areas that play roles in sensation, perception, sensory integration and language comprehension.

HAHA! Who needs women's "intuition". T-minus eleven years, give or take, until I'm on him like white on rice! MUAHAHAHA!

Will this be advantageous for anticipating report cards?

Jokes aside, good read! Full study for later.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-09-24 10:01:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Thoughts from reading the actual study...

Quote:
This is because AD has been reported as more prevalent in parous vs. nulliparous women [16], [17], increasing with higher number of pregnancies that also correlated with a younger age of AD onset [17], [18].

I had no idea that there was a correlation between Alzheimers and pregnancy. Kind of a funny knowledge nugget taking into consideration that nulliparous women are more susceptible to cancer. The yin and yang for "use it or lose it".

Quote:
Because AD is more prevalent in women than men and an increased risk has been reported in parous vs. nulliparous women and correlated with younger age of onset [16]–[18], we also investigated male Mc in women with AD. AD is a neurodegenerative disease characterized by elevated levels of amyloid plaques, cerebrovascular amyloidosis, and neurofibrillary tangle [30]. Our results suggesting women with AD have a lower prevalence of male Mc in the brain and lower concentrations in regions most affected by AD were unexpected. However, the number of subjects tested was modest and, as discussed previously, pregnancy history was largely unknown. The explanation for decreased Mc in AD, should this observation be replicated in a larger study, is not obvious. In other diseases, both beneficial and detrimental effects of Mc of fetal origin have been described depending on several factors including the specific type and source of Mc [6]. A significant limitation of the current study was the inability to distinguish the type and source of male Mc, and further studies that distinguish genetically normal from abnormal Mc would be of potential interest.

At present, the biological significance of harboring Mc in the human brain requires further investigation. Mc appears to persist in the blood, bone, and bone marrow for decades [2], [45] and is present among different hematopoietic lineages [46]. Moreover, Mc appears to integrate and generate specific cell types in tissues [10], [11], [47]–[49]. In murine studies, fetal Mc in the maternal brain has been observed to resemble perivascular macrophages, neurons, astrocytes, and oligodendrocytes both morphologically and phenotypically and occupy the respective niches [15], [36]. Thus, it is possible that Mc in the brain is able to differentiate into various mature phenotypes or undergoes fusion with pre-existing cells and acquires a new phenotype, as suggested by murine and human studies in which bone marrow-derived cells circulated to the brain and generated neuronal cells by differentiation, or fused with pre-existing neurons [50]–[53]. Lastly, a few studies have reported an association between parity and decreased risk of brain cancer, raising the possibility that Mc could contribute to immunosurveillance against tumorigenic cells as has been suggested for some other types of malignancy [6], [54]–[56].

In conclusion, male Mc is frequent and widely distributed in the human female brain. Although the relationship between brain Mc and health versus disease requires further study, our findings suggest that Mc of fetal origin could impact maternal health and potentially be of evolutionary significance.

It would be an interesting read were someone to do a more in depth study, as suggested.

I know that we've gabbed about the mutual symbioses of hormonal fluctuations within in both mothers and fathers, but reading this is an additional reminder that we all have many mutual, biological symbioses.

Really good find, Kara!

EDIT: I'm wondering if this has any effects on the post-pregnancy hormonal "reset" button too.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-09-24 10:03:02
Link | Quote | Reply

what..?

Didn't read the article, I'm guessing.

I'm actually proud of my non reading...reading on a Wednesday please...

The only thing I know about DNA is from the movie Gattaca.