Chrysler Recalls 230,760 SUVs Globally 9-22-14

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Chrysler recalls 230,760 SUVs globally 9-22-14
Chrysler recalls 230,760 SUVs globally 9-22-14
By Ramyrez 2014-09-22 15:22:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Korean and Japanese import economy cars get a perceived boost to their "quality" because they're cheap and rich white kids (and, in some cases, poor white adults) like to buy them and trick them out so they look fast.

I'll put my Sonic up against a Mazda, Honda, Suzuki, Hyudai, or any other Japanese or Korean car of the same size and price range.

What you're saying may be true in the past, but the recent American compact car market has come out swinging. The Dart, the Fiesta, the Sonic...all great cars (I know the least about the Dart, but I've heard good things).
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-22 15:26:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said: »
If you're talking about reliability in the economy category, the south Koreans and Japanese have the Americans beat. Even some French and German cars are better.
Name the cars then and why they are better than their American counterparts.

In SUV category - Japanese and German
Again, name them.

Utility - British, Japanese and German.
See above.

Sports Cars - American and Japanese are the worst. Some Japanese exceptions like the GTR and the Skyline which are *** amazing cars. Dodge Viper is a peice of ***. Corvette is the sportscar you buy if you cant afford a real sportscar and have no other choice.
Again, see above.

Instead of making broad statements with no support, how about, oh I don't know, back what you are saying!
By Blazed1979 2014-09-22 16:21:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess it comes down to what you can afford. I come from a different market and what's affordable is different.

I should have been clearer, I'm not comparing cars based on price range, I'm comparing categories.

Categories seems to the semantic here.

I'll demonstrate with the Chrysler 300c.
I look at the cars size, its engine size, its BHP, its torque, and its handling in comparison to other cars of the same size, same engine size, BHP etc.

So I'm going out to buy a fairly strong car, 4 door saloon.
300C is one option.
Other options I'm looking at are the BMW 5 series, the Mercedes E class, the Audi 6 series, the Rolls Royce Phantom etc.

This is pretty much how we look at cars over here. We don't get down to which one is more bang for your buck, inch by inch. We look at the total package and overall. Which one suits your purpose and is better. Which one do you like more. Which one appeals to you more. Test driving is important also.

So let me rephrase my question - if you could afford a an E350 with the AMG kit, or the BMW Alpina 530, would you buy a 300c?
I wouldn't even consider the A6 3.2, or the Dodge Charger.
Is the 300c even comparable to them? no.. its garbage, trash. regardless of its price.

EDIT: If i'm going to buy a sports coupe, I'll look at the Porsche 911, the BMW M3, maybe the C63 AMG... I won't look at a chrysler.

SUV off-road - we do a lot of offroading here. We define what the best off-road cars are. Highest penetration rate of off road cars in the world.
Toyota and Land Rover, more precisely the FJ Cruiser, the Land Cruiser, and the Defender.
Jeep wrangler is trash. Hummers are trash. All of GMC's line up are trash.

There's a reason this episode of Top gear was shot here - because this car is marketed towards us, and we will probably be responsible for 90% of its sales.Off roading is huge here.
YouTube Video Placeholder
By daoming 2014-09-22 16:34:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I hate Chrysler anyways, the Crossfire was a travesty and we nicknamed the PT Cruiser, the "Sheetee (Shitty) Cruiser"
By Kooljack 2014-09-22 16:47:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
The question shouldn't be my 'fascination' but rather; if you dont give a damn, why do you keep coming to these threads?

My thoughts exactly. why even bother posting your dislike about this thread when it is in the correct section for its subject matter.

Flagrantly needing to post much clown Kingnobody? Step ur game up; try having some sustenance instead of berating threads that aren't asking anything from you

he got his bumbum hurt and is spreading his love around. Clearly flailing his emotions around over something. hehe. wooo this guys is cool as ice. keep it up big dawg, you'l be respected in no time
By Jetackuu 2014-09-22 16:57:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
If you're talking about reliability in the economy category, the south Koreans and Japanese have the Americans beat. Even some French and German cars are better.

Objectively false, they may have the perception of superior reliability. American cars generally have better fuel efficiency than their Japanese or Korean counterparts for a very good reason: CAFE. You should read up on it.
What does fuel efficiency have to do with reliability?
By Altimaomega 2014-09-22 17:11:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
American cars aren't garbage?

Everything American is garbage, apparently, in your book.

Nah.
Americans are the best at a lot of things and making a lot of things. Cars are NOT one of them.

Give me an example of an exceptional American car that has been made in the past 20 years.

Does this count..
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-22 17:13:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

Objectively false, they may have the perception of superior reliability. American cars generally have better fuel efficiency than their Japanese or Korean counterparts for a very good reason: CAFE. You should read up on it.
What does fuel efficiency have to do with reliability?

Nothing necessarily, I was addressing multiple things in one place, it was getting wordy.

I don't know about "there", but the society of automotive engineers and the various critic organizations have pretty specific qualifications for each class of vehicle. In this case, the 300 isn't a direct competitor to the base A6 and S class, even less so the E class, as that's more of an executive car, bordering on limousine. Saying it's an alternative is dishonest, they may be in the same class, but they aren't marketed to the same consumer. A more direct competitor to the Cadillac CTS or lexus GS. In both cases, it is very competitive in specifications and has higher sales.

As for off-road vehicles, the Wrangler/CJ/TJ/xJ has been one of the most capable vehicles for 70 years, and defined it's class. Comparing it to a Range Rover or Hummer (excluding H1) is moronic. They aren't competitors to the Wrangler, they are competitors to the Cherokee and Durango, which they handily out-perform.

What consumers believe is a driving force in sales, so it's not irrelevant, but it doesn't speak to which product is actually better. Handling is a good example, there's a reason that critics and engineers don't deal with "handling" so much as they deal with braking, skidpad speed, acceleration, and a subjective category called "road feel". One of the best handling small sports cars is actually the MX5 Miata, however it feels like it's about to lose a body panel when pushed hard. The BMW Z3 would be the car with better road feel, even though the Miata outdoes it in every objective measure.
 Quetzalcoatl.Dab
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: deezydabs
By Quetzalcoatl.Dab 2014-09-22 17:30:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Take care of your cars they'll last longer.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-22 17:34:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Dab said: »

That's a point I forgot to mention. Reliability has to be based with adherence to manufacturer service intervals and only apply to parts failures under proper maintenance. A car that is isn't reliable when abused or unmaintained isn't unreliable, necessarily. German cars are a very good example of this.
By Ramyrez 2014-09-22 18:15:32
Link | Quote | Reply

That's a point I forgot to mention. Reliability has to be based with adherence to manufacturer service intervals and only apply to parts failures under proper maintenance. A car that is isn't reliable when abused or unmaintained isn't unreliable, necessarily. German cars are a very good example of this.

Come now, I'm sure he employs his own garage.
[+]
By Blazed1979 2014-09-23 07:41:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I don't know about "there", but the society of automotive engineers and the various critic organizations have pretty specific qualifications for each class of vehicle.
Please see product oriented companies vs Marketing oriented companies.

Consumers' opinion is all that matters. For the demographic segment I belong to, you will find my opinion is pretty much the standard and common one.
By Blazed1979 2014-09-23 07:42:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

Come now, I'm sure he employs his own garage.
I actually do. lol..
By Blazed1979 2014-09-23 07:44:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I have an 1980's El Dorado and a Mustang Selene.
We take very good care of our cars.
Doesn't stop us from spending our disposable income on elite cars. Who's money do you think it is that is spent on such cars allowing for innovation and improvement?
By Ramyrez 2014-09-23 08:15:24
Link | Quote | Reply

So basically you're an arrogant *** and you want us all to know how much disposable income you have.

On an MMO forum.

Congratulations, baller.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-23 09:09:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I don't know about "there", but the society of automotive engineers and the various critic organizations have pretty specific qualifications for each class of vehicle.
Please see product oriented companies vs Marketing oriented companies.

Consumers' opinion is all that matters. For the demographic segment I belong to, you will find my opinion is pretty much the standard and common one.

So, basically, you took 2 pages worth of derail to arrive at "I don't actually have any support for my statement other than my uninformed opinion". Welcome, you'll fit right in.