America's Most Prominant Muslim Scholar On ISIS

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » America's Most Prominant Muslim Scholar on ISIS
America's Most Prominant Muslim Scholar on ISIS
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 19 20 21
 Cerberus.Valmur
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Valmur
By Cerberus.Valmur 2014-09-21 06:15:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
*takes a look*

You know, the saddest part in all this is that this guy actually thinks he's smart and that he 'owned' you all. It just makes me so sad.

B-but he has double mage mythics! we're doomed.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-09-21 06:21:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Maldini said: »
The theory is pretty clear on what "nothing" means. and it just that, "the void". Dawkins for example, asserts in his support of the multiverse that our universe was "fine tuned" for stars and galaxies to come into existence. Nothing tunes itself.

Having said that, I do agree with you that the belief in God is a philosophical debate and has not been proved or disproved by science.

Maybe what we refer to as science will be the hocus pocus pseudo science of our descendants. Perhaps new paradigms and schools of thought will emerge that consolidate philosophy, the physical sciences, social sciences and God.

I believe science to be the greatest testimony to God. Our practice of science is simply the observation, appreciation and decryption of the creator's code. I believe he intended us to be able to appreciate that. His first word to Mohammed was "Read".

To me, Evolution is a mechanism the creator put in place.
I don't know exactly what quote you're referring to but it sounds reminiscent of the theory that our universe is a consequence of pre-established rules that governed the formation of our reality as we know it. There is no something from nothing. It's more like something from something else we don't quite yet understand (yet).

Science is simply a methodology used to understand our world better. That's it. I'm sure our descendants will eventually look upon our current understanding of the universe as primitively as we look at something like fire or the wheel. It doesn't undermine the utility and successes it's had at advancing our knowledge base. I give zero *** if someone wants to insert religion as a way to give greater personal meaning to the theories that science supports but I cannot *** stand it when the supernatural is used a gap filler or as an obfuscation to discredit sound evidence and logic.
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-09-21 06:24:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Kooljack said: »
tbh i smoke and am actually not in my view religious. i dont go to church. i dont practice much of anything. i just believe in a higher power with some understanding about the world around me. I am a creationist. which is the majority's viewpoint. keep that in mind as you go around calling believers illogical eh? just maybe you wont get trumped by dictionary definitions next time
So you believe that the majority of the world believes the same thing you do....because.
Well, again, you are wrong*

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn9786-why-doesnt-america-believe-in-evolution.html#.VB6zX2IaySM
Quote:
"The US is the only country in which [the teaching of evolution] has been politicised," he says. "Republicans have clearly adopted this as one of their wedge issues. In most of the world, this is a non-issue."

*Not even getting into just because a person is religious it means they are a creationist. Since that is also wrong

[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-09-21 06:27:45
Link | Quote | Reply

"then He turned to the heaven when it was smoke...” (Quran 41:11)

"Have not those who disbelieved known that the heavens and the earth were one connected entity, then We separated them?...” (Quran 21:30)"

Dr. Alfred Kroner is one of the world’s renowned geologists. He is Professor of Geology and the Chairman of the Department of Geology at the Institute of Geosciences, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany.
Quote:
Thinking where Muhammad came from . . . I think it is almost impossible that he could have known about things like the common origin of the universe, because scientists have only found out within the last few years, with very complicated and advanced technological methods, that this is the case.Somebody who did not know something about nuclear physics fourteen hundred years ago could not, I think, be in a position to find out from his own mind, for instance, that the earth and the heavens had the same origin.
Color me skeptical.
Having an origin myth isn't the same thing as being able to describe how and why things occur.

Most religions start with an abyss/void/uniformity, from which uniqueness propagates.
Now, if you can show that Muhammad gave all the theoretical groundwork and formulas which later could be experimentally verified, then you can possibly have an argument about having knowledge out of his time.

If that is what he got out of those quotes, then he may have been good at pre-cambrian geological formations, but that obviously didn't translate into critical thinking in other areas. Which isn't terribly uncommon, unfortunately.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-09-21 06:29:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
The theory is pretty clear on what "nothing" means. and it just that, "the void". Dawkins for example, asserts in his support of the multiverse that our universe was "fine tuned" for stars and galaxies to come into existence. Nothing tunes itself.

Having said that, I do agree with you that the belief in God is a philosophical debate and has not been proved or disproved by science.

Maybe what we refer to as science will be the hocus pocus pseudo science of our descendants. Perhaps new paradigms and schools of thought will emerge that consolidate philosophy, the physical sciences, social sciences and God.

I believe science to be the greatest testimony to God. Our practice of science is simply the observation, appreciation and decryption of the creator's code. I believe he intended us to be able to appreciate that. His first word to Mohammed was "Read".

To me, Evolution is a mechanism the creator put in place.
I don't know exactly what quote you're referring to but it sounds reminiscent of the theory that our universe is a consequence of pre-established rules that governed the formation of our reality as we know it. There is no something from nothing. It's more like something from something else we don't quite yet understand (yet).

Science is simply a methodology used to understand our world better. That's it. I'm sure our descendants will eventually look upon our current understanding of the universe as primitively as we look at something like fire or the wheel. It doesn't undermine the utility and successes it's had at advancing our knowledge base. I give zero *** if someone wants to insert religion as a way to give greater personal meaning to the theories that science supports but I cannot *** stand it when the supernatural is used a gap filler or as an obfuscation to discredit sound evidence and logic.
Or even worse, is used to prevent people from questioning or to set boundaries on knowledge.
By Blazed1979 2014-09-21 06:46:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »

"Have not those who disbelieved known that the heavens and the earth were one connected entity, then We separated them?...” (Quran 21:30)"

Dr. Alfred Kroner is one of the world’s renowned geologists. He is Professor of Geology and the Chairman of the Department of Geology at the Institute of Geosciences, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany.
Quote:
Thinking where Muhammad came from . . . I think it is almost impossible that he could have known about things like the common origin of the universe, because scientists have only found out within the last few years, with very complicated and advanced technological methods, that this is the case.Somebody who did not know something about nuclear physics fourteen hundred years ago could not, I think, be in a position to find out from his own mind, for instance, that the earth and the heavens had the same origin.
Color me skeptical.
Having an origin myth isn't the same thing as being able to describe how and why things occur.

Most religions start with an abyss/void/uniformity, from which uniqueness propagates.
Now, if you can show that Muhammad gave all the theoretical groundwork and formulas which later could be experimentally verified, then you can possibly have an argument about having knowledge out of his time.

If that is what he got out of those quotes, then he may have been good at pre-cambrian geological formations, but that obviously didn't translate into critical thinking in other areas. Which isn't terribly uncommon, unfortunately.

How about Embryonic development?
http://www.islamreligion.com/articles/216/

EDIT: I agree and can relate to your frustration with people who try to close the gap between the unknown or undefined and science with the supernatural.
However, I also leave room for "we just don't know at this current time, maybe we will never know"

And from keeping people from questioning set boundaries, that is traditionally a vatican/church issue. We do have that within the Muslim world, but its not about scientific matters, its more about challenging social norms, such as marriage outside of wedlock. However, even that has changed a lot and modern scholars are using ancient Islamic examples as proof that sex outside of marriage existed and was accepted and that marriage is one type of relationship. It depends on which scholar you ask. The jury is still out for me.
By Blazed1979 2014-09-21 06:55:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »
Kooljack said: »
tbh i smoke and am actually not in my view religious. i dont go to church. i dont practice much of anything. i just believe in a higher power with some understanding about the world around me. I am a creationist. which is the majority's viewpoint. keep that in mind as you go around calling believers illogical eh? just maybe you wont get trumped by dictionary definitions next time
So you believe that the majority of the world believes the same thing you do....because.
Well, again, you are wrong*

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn9786-why-doesnt-america-believe-in-evolution.html#.VB6zX2IaySM
Quote:
"The US is the only country in which [the teaching of evolution] has been politicised," he says. "Republicans have clearly adopted this as one of their wedge issues. In most of the world, this is a non-issue."

*Not even getting into just because a person is religious it means they are a creationist. Since that is also wrong

While I agree with evolution, I don't see it conflicting with creation. Unfortunately the church's persecution of the theory of evolution historically has lead to a social phenomenon where one must be either one or the other. This is not the case in the islamic world evolution and science are not shun or feared as contradicting the religion.
I always found it odd why it was such a popular and controversial subject.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-09-21 07:02:37
Link | Quote | Reply

That's because church often refuses to upgrade with times. A church that was keeping up with the discovery of new knowledge could have said something like 'God saw the potential in monkeys and used their genes to create a more advanced creature which is humans'. There would have been so much less conflict between religion and science if only religion would move with times and incorporate their precepts with science rather than denying and fighting it.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-09-21 07:19:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said: »

Quote:
Color me skeptical.

Confirmation bias?

Careful observation of chicken eggs at different stages will get you that same level of detail.

All of the diagrams and pictures on the site you provided are carefully selected in order to achieve their desired viewpoint.
If you would like non-pre-selected images (or drawings) for comparison, you can look here.
Also, if the information was divinely inspired, then why the hell not accurately and unambiguously depict *all* the embryonic stages?
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-09-21 07:22:12
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-09-21 07:44:18
Link | Quote | Reply

EDIT: I agree and can relate to your frustration with people who try to close the gap between the unknown or undefined and science with the supernatural.
However, I also leave room for "we just don't know at this current time, maybe we will never know"

And from keeping people from questioning set boundaries, that is traditionally a vatican/church issue. We do have that within the Muslim world, but its not about scientific matters, its more about challenging social norms, such as marriage outside of wedlock. However, even that has changed a lot and modern scholars are using ancient Islamic examples as proof that sex outside of marriage existed and was accepted and that marriage is one type of relationship. It depends on which scholar you ask. The jury is still out for me.

The Qur'an is not the first book published on embyros. It is a subject that has fascinated people throughout history. For obvious reasons.

Aristotle
Quote:
For his embryological studies he used the chick embryo, describing among other observations the first sign of the embryo, the early development of the heart and great vessels, the beating of the embryo's heart, and the differences between arteries and veins
http://embryo.asu.edu/pages/generation-animals-aristotle

There are other texts from Egypt in 1800~BC (Kahun Gynaecological Papyrus), Soranus 98 AD, and Muscio 500 AD covering gynecology. Not to mention anything the world lost from the burning of the Library of Alexandria.
By Blazed1979 2014-09-21 07:44:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Quran books are regularly burnt as a means of disposing of copies that have been worn out and are no longer readable or deemed to posses enough physical integrity to be used/read by Governments in Islamic nations.

However, the symbolic burning of the Quran by those who oppose Islam is no different than burning of the American flag.

Also, he asserts that no one should tell him what is sacred. No one did. However, that doesn't mean that symbolic gestures aimed at antagonizing a group of people, won't antagonize them.

Fail.
By Blazed1979 2014-09-21 07:48:37
Link | Quote | Reply

The Qur'an is not the first book published on embyros. It is a subject that has fascinated people throughout history. For obvious reasons.

Aristotle
Quote:
For his embryological studies he used the chick embryo, describing among other observations the first sign of the embryo, the early development of the heart and great vessels, the beating of the embryo's heart, and the differences between arteries and veins

There are other texts from Egypt in 1800~BC (Kahun Gynaecological Papyrus), Soranus 98 AD, and Muscio 500 AD covering gynecology. Not to mention anything the world lost from the burning of the Library of Alexandria.

There's a rather large gap between Aristotles observation of things which can be observed by the naked eye and the Quran's explanation of things happening on a scale that only modern instruments can observe....
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-09-21 07:53:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Triffle said: »
Lakshmi.Saevel said: »
Asura.Triffle said: »
Bismarck.Dubai said: »
Just to correct you, Islam itself does not promote violence nor killing in any sort of way that the ISIS does. More in fact, what ISIS is doing is NOT religious in any sort of way.

And that's coming from a person who is a Muslim and who actually studies/studied the holy scripture.

Qu'ran (4:89) - "They but wish that ye should reject Faith, as they do, and thus be on the same footing (as they): But take not friends from their ranks until they flee in the way of Allah (From what is forbidden). But if they turn renegades, seize them and slay them wherever ye find them; and (in any case) take no friends or helpers from their ranks."

Unless I'm reading things wrong, it says to not befriend anyone who is not a Muslim and to kill anyone who leaves Islam. Now I could be wrong, but if Islam didn't promote violence I'm pretty sure this passage and many like it wouldn't be part of the Qu'ran. Unless of course you're telling me Islam doesn't believe in every part of the Qu'ran and only cherry picks the peaceful parts out of it.

All three of the Abrahamic religions have chapters like that. Religion is used as a form of societal control, it's how the central leader can get everyone else to do what they say without having to constantly dominate them all physically. To prevent people from abandoning you or questioning you, which could be very bad for you, you have to ensure there is a rule that says they can't. Over centuries the other two major religions came to understand that those parts were no longer necessary though some extremely elements took awhile. Islam is a bit tougher because while structurally the religion is no different then the others, it was spread by force and was adopted / interpreted to suite the needs of a conqueror. Modern day interpretations by the majority of the Muslim world are very extreme by contrast to the majority of the Christ / Jewish world. In time this may change as those Muslim nations stop using it as a method to control their own populations.

If they are no longer necessary, that means the parts are discarded. If these texts are supposedly holy perfection and you start discarding parts of them, you are cherry picking. If you have to cherry pick from a perfect text, then the text is not perfect.

Who said anything about being perfect....

They were created and written by humans, humans are not perfect creatures and make mistakes with alarming frequency. I would fully expect anything created by a human to have significant flaws. The Old Testament, which is a holy text in all three Abrahamic religions, was nothing but a series of stories and parables handed down verbally until written text was invented. Like all verbal fables there was a kernel of truth that was then distorted as it went from one story teller to the next.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-09-21 07:55:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Aristotle
Quote:

There's a rather large gap between Aristotles observation of things which can be observed by the naked eye and the Quran's explanation of things happening on a scale that only modern instruments can observe....
You mean when he disected things? And wrote about the observations that can be seen?

Here is a brief history of embryology. The full book goes into more detail
http://embryo.asu.edu/pages/history-embryology-joseph-needham
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-09-21 08:00:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Aristotle
Quote:

Uh, these are things occurring at a scale which is visible by the naked eye. At 28 days, the embryo is at between 0.5 to 1cm.
By Blazed1979 2014-09-21 08:11:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Aristotle
Quote:

Uh, these are things occurring at a scale which is visible by the naked eye. At 28 days, the embryo is at between 0.5 to 1cm.

Can you tell me how one manages to observe that within the womb?
Also the Quran doesn't start at day 28.

Here's an image for reference for you.

Also if you can see your individual sperms when you ejaculate please share whatever it is your eating because I want super sperm as well lol.

[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-09-21 08:25:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Aristotle
Quote:

Can you tell me how one manages to observe that within the womb?
Also the Quran doesn't start at day 28.

Here's an image for reference for you.

That looks about at day 10, for humans.
And you wouldn't necessarily need to observe it for humans. You would simply correlate the common observations in other animals, and extend it to humans. After all, it's not like he was writing a scientific treatise on it.Or, as Kara pointed out, he could have had access to or exposure to The History of Animals.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-09-21 08:26:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Also if you can see your individual sperms when you ejaculate please share whatever it is your eating because I want super sperm as well lol.

Where in the Quran does it describe the role sperm plays in fertilization?
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-09-21 08:27:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Here is the book Aristotle wrote.
http://www.esp.org/books/aristotle/generation-of-animals/html/index.html

He discusses sperm, eggs, uterus, fertilization, fetuses, etc for a variety of animals. He gets some information right, some of it wrong.

If you've never disected an animal I recommend it. Or a virtual disection

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Blazed1979 2014-09-21 08:48:22
Link | Quote | Reply

He discusses sperm, eggs, uterus, fertilization, fetuses, etc for a variety of animals. He gets some information right, some of it wrong.

Doesn't actually mention "sperm". Mentions "spermatic" which is a modern translation. He was speaking of sperm as a fluid, without any understanding of what it was on a microscopic scale.
He knew that it had a role to play in fertilization, but didn't actually know what went on.

The translation has been updated for modern readers to understand which organs he is referring to.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-09-21 08:58:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Doesn't actually mention "sperm". Mentions "spermatic" which is a modern translation. He was speaking of sperm as a fluid, without any understanding of what it was on a microscopic scale.
He knew that it had a role to play in fertilization, but didn't actually know what went on.

The translation has been updated for modern readers to understand which organs he is referring to.
Actually, semen comes from latin meaning seed or to sow. Sperma is latin for sperm or seed.

Edit
http://www.mathpages.com/home/kmath219/kmath219.htm
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-09-21 09:01:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Kooljack and Refreshtwo. I think they are soulmates.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-09-21 09:11:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually, semen comes from latin meaning seed or to sow. Sperma is latin for sperm or seed.

Edit
http://www.mathpages.com/home/kmath219/kmath219.htm

By fonewear 2014-09-21 09:17:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
<Fonewear> Reading is overrated anyway with women

I learned that at Huff Post.

You rang ?
By fonewear 2014-09-21 09:17:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Michiiru said: »