France Attacks!

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » France Attacks!
France Attacks!
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-09-19 10:00:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Dont get to use that headline to often anymore'

Quote:
France strikes Islamic State group's depot in Iraq

PARIS (AP) — Joining U.S. forces acting in Iraqi skies, France conducted its first airstrikes Friday against the militant Islamic State group, destroying a logistics depot, Iraqi and French officials said.

Rafale fighter jets accompanied by support planes struck in northern Iraq on Friday morning, and the target was "entirely destroyed," President Francois Hollande said. The four airstrikes on an Iraqi military installation overrun by the militants hit a munitions and fuel depot, a French military official said, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss operational details.

Iraq's military spokesman said dozens of extremist fighters were killed.

"Other operations will follow in the coming days with the same goal — to weaken this terrorist organization and come to the aid of the Iraqi authorities," Hollande said. "There are always risks in taking up a responsibility. I reduced the risks to a minimum."

Qassim al-Moussawi, spokesman for the Iraqi military, said four French airstrikes hit near the town of Zumar, in an area that remains heavily contested by Islamic State fighters even though Iraqi and Kurdish security forces have managed to make headway nearby with the support of U.S. airstrikes.

With the strikes, France becomes the first foreign country to publicly add military muscle to United States airstrikes against the group, which has drawn criticism around the world and in a unanimous U.N. Security Council resolution for its barbarity. Hollande, who said the airstrikes were requested by Iraq's government, ruled out French troops on the ground.

The first French airstrikes in Iraq have added significance: France, one of America's oldest allies, was among the most vocal critics of the decision of U.S. President George W. Bush to conduct military action in 2003 that toppled Saddam Hussein.

Last year, France was ready to join possible U.S. military action against President Bashar Assad's force in Syria, before U.S. President Barack Obama stopped short. French authorities in recent weeks have suggested that the inaction there has fostered the development of the militants.

The strikes come at a time when polls show Hollande is the most unpopular French president in decades — mainly for his handling of France's economic difficulties. But he has drawn higher marks from the French public in the international arena, including by helping drive al-Qaida-linked militants from northern Mali last year and in central African Republic in recent months.

U.S. Central Command said Thursday the U.S. military has conducted 176 airstrikes in Iraq since Aug. 8. On Wednesday, it hit a militant training camp southeast of Mosul and an ammunition stockpile southeast of Baghdad. It has also conducted a number of strikes this week in Iraq's Anbar province, near the strategic Haditha Dam.

The French airstrike took place while U.S. Gen. Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, was in France for meetings with his counterpart, Gen. Pierre de Villiers. The two men were visiting an American military cemetery in Normandy, on the English Channel, when the French strike took place.

Dempsey, who was told of the attack by de Villiers, praised the French action.

"The French were our very first ally and they are there again for us," Dempsey told reporters traveling with him in Normandy. "It just reminds me why these relationships really matter."

He stressed that France wouldn't go beyond airstrikes in support of the Iraqi military or Kurdish Peshmerga forces, and wouldn't attack targets in Syria, where the Islamic State group has also captured territory.

France's military said jets began flying reconnaissance missions over Iraq on Monday.

Source
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-09-19 10:05:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Can't we keep the Isis discussion to a single thread? Don't think we need new ones for every development.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-09-19 10:06:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Its just a mirage, trust me >.>
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-09-19 10:08:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Can't we keep the Isis discussion to a single thread? Don't think we need new ones for every development.

ISIS Warlord shits, Obama jumps, Congress spooked!
[+]
 Cerberus.Stereo
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Stereo 2014-09-19 10:32:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I hope France doesn't surrender to ISIS if they find a sleeper cell in Paris.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Blazed1979 2014-09-19 12:17:44
Link | Quote | Reply

eslim said: »
the US forced france to help with the war and publicize it, all this will do is make more ancestral grudges.
By threatening to remove "French Fries" from all menus across America.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-09-19 12:20:40
Link | Quote | Reply

French fries are actually of belgian origins!
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-09-19 12:23:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said: »
the US forced france to help with the war and publicize it, all this will do is make more ancestral grudges.
By threatening to introduce "Freedom Fries" to all menus across America.
FTFY
[+]
 Siren.Sieha
Server: Siren
user: Sieha1
By Siren.Sieha 2014-09-19 12:46:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »

I got it!
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-09-19 13:55:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Sieha said: »
Shiva.Viciousss said: »

I got it!
I did too!
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-09-19 14:19:36
Link | Quote | Reply

France is fighting this time because surrendering to ISIS means losing heads.
 Phoenix.Michiiru
Server: Phoenix
user: Michiiru
By Phoenix.Michiiru 2014-09-19 14:47:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Atheryn said: »

Oh I see what you did there.
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-09-19 18:29:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Not when i get the opportunity to actually type the Title: France Attacks! - Come on.. thats a once in a life time type of thing there..
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-09-19 18:57:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »

Not when i get the opportunity to actually type the Title: France Attacks! - Come on.. thats a once in a life time type of thing there..
First thing that came to mind? MARS ATTACKS!!
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2014-09-19 19:04:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Atheryn said: »

They'll be lost whether we fight or not.

This is a big mistake, Hollande just ruined the very little he still had, he should be at 0% approval after that.

When will they understand that we have to team up with Russia and China, it's starting to be annoying. I hope Marine will understand that.
 Asura.Ccl
Server: Asura
user: ccl
By Asura.Ccl 2014-09-19 19:45:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Remember lybia, Mali and stuff I'm sure you were born before those happened too.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2014-09-19 20:13:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ccl said: »

Remember lybia, Mali and stuff I'm sure you were born before those happened too.
What about

Though, he may not have been born back then.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-19 20:16:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Angierus said: »
I'm surprised we haven't seen anything show up like this

That's because you used MSNBC.

Their headline forgot to blame Bush for it, otherwise it wouldn't be a MSNBC headline.