Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-09-18 14:11:42
Link | Quote | Reply

The New Zealand Herald said:
Gruesome execution plot at the heart of terror raids

A plot to behead a random member of the public in Sydney has been thwarted by the biggest anti-terror police raids Australia has seen, with one man charged over the plan to "horrify" the community.

Omarjan Azari, 22, who was remanded in custody at Central Local Court, allegedly conspired with Mohammad Baryalei, the most senior Australian member of Isis (Islamic State) to commit the terror act.

Prosecutor Michael Allnutt told the court that Azari was accused of plans designed to "shock" and "horrify" the community.

The plan involved the "random selection of persons to rather gruesomely execute", he said.

Last night a heavy police presence was expected at a snap protest in Sydney's west against the raids. The protest, promoted under a banner featuring the hardline organisation Hizb Ut-Tahrir, called on the Muslim community to "stand as one" against "government aggression" at Lakemba.

Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott, who was briefed before raids on Wednesday night, indicated intelligence showed public beheadings were urged by leaders of Syria-based Isis.

"The exhortations, quite direct exhortations, were coming from an Australian who is apparently quite senior in [Isis] to networks of support back in Australia to conduct demonstration killings here in this country," Abbott said. "This is not just suspicion, this is intent."

Azari, from Guildford in Sydney's west, will face court again on November 13. He was one of 15 people detained during the raids which included 25 search warrants on homes and vehicles.

More than 800 New South Wales and Australian Federal Police raided properties across the suburbs of Beecroft, Bella Vista, Guildford, Merrylands, Northmead, Wentworthville, Marsfield, Westmead, Castle Hill, Revesby, Bass Hill and Regents Park.

Three more raids occurred in Queensland yesterday morning.

Australian Federal Police acting commissioner Andrew Colvin said the raids in Underwood, Logan and Mount Gravatt East southeast of Brisbane were linked to raids in the area last week in which two men were arrested and charged with terrorism-related offences.

One of the Queensland suspects, Omar Succarieh, was seeking bail.

The Sydney plot has raised comparisons with the attack on British soldier Lee Rigby, who was hacked to death on a London street by Muslim extremists last year.

It emerged yesterday that death threats against Christians outside a school and church in Sydney's west have struck fear into parents and churchgoers. Police say two men in a red hatchback hurled abuse as they drove by Maronite College of the Holy Family in Harris Park and Our Lady of Lebanon church on Wednesday. They threatened to "kill the Christians" and slaughter their children while brandishing an Isis flag, a priest said.

NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione warned against any public backlash in the wake of the dawn raids. He said more than 220 police would participate in high-profile Operation Hammerhead, covering transport hubs and important and iconic sites.

The operation followed Australia's outgoing spy chief, ASIO director David Irvine, raising the terror alert level to "high" amid fears of an attack on home soil last Friday.

Chief of Defence Mark Binskin said the defence force was constantly reviewing security at its bases and may adjust the level of security over coming days.

Australia has estimated about 60 of its citizens are fighting for the Islamic State group and Jabhat al-Nusra in Iraq and Syria. Another 15 Australian fighters had been killed, including two young suicide bombers. The Government has said it believes about 100 Australians are actively supporting extremist groups from within Australia, recruiting fighters and grooming suicide bomber candidates as well as providing funds and equipment.

Western governments are facing an uphill battle trying to squeeze the finances of Islamic State jihadists, as the extremists operate like a "mafia" in territory under their control in Syria and Iraq, experts say.

Unlike the al-Qaeda network, which has relied almost exclusively on private donations, Isis holds a large area in Syria and Iraq that allows it to generate cash from extortion, kidnapping and smuggling of both oil and antiquities, analysts say. As a result, the group's funding presents a much more difficult target for Western sanctions compared to al-Qaeda's finances, said Evan Jendruck, an analyst at IHS Jane's consultancy.

Even conservative estimates portray Isis as the world's richest extremist organisation, raking in at least a million dollars a day.

The group is "merciless in shaking down local businesses for cash and routinely forces drivers on roads under its control to pay a tax", a US intelligence official said. "Its cash-raising activities resemble those of a mafia-like organisation."

- AAP, AP, AFP

So now the ISIS is using its international volunteers to extend its reach into western nations. Awesome.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-18 14:16:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Social media is a ***.
By volkom 2014-09-18 14:25:09
Link | Quote | Reply

what drives individuals to want to go out and harm random innocent people?
I know conflicts in the middle east are more about power and control than it is about religion. It just baffles me that people want to hop on the crazy train
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-18 14:26:55
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
what drives individuals to want to go out and harm random innocent people?
I know conflicts in the middle east are more about power and control than it is about religion. It just baffles me that people want to hop on the crazy train

For the leaders it's about more than religion.

Frequently for the rank-and-file recruits it's all about the cause, though. They're either raised with fervent beliefs in the religious/political cause, or they're disillusioned with their own country/etc. and join up because they see this new cause as worthy.

Suckering young men (and women sometimes) into dying for a cause is pretty much the formula for building an army. That's what we do in the US (edit: and it's what everyone else does too. I'm not singling out the US here; it's just a factor. Impressionable young men make amazingly dedicated soldiers.)
[+]
By Blazed1979 2014-09-18 14:31:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Kill them. Death Penalty. Broadcast it right back @ ISIS and say "this is what we will do to anyone who tries to commit acts of terror".

I'm sick of these *** IDIOTS thinking they're acts are Islamic.

Just *** kill them all.
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-09-18 14:32:35
Link | Quote | Reply

ISIS = our anti-christ. But they were created by the US.
so...
By Jetackuu 2014-09-18 14:33:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said: »
Kill them. Death Penalty. Broadcast it right back @ ISIS and say "this is what we will do to anyone who tries to commit acts of terror".

Just *** kill them all.
They are very Islamic.
By Blazed1979 2014-09-18 14:35:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

Just *** kill them all.
They are very Islamic.
No they're not. STFU, when you lump these idiots with the muslim world you give them an example of "everyone in the west wants you dead. fight now, or die. the west crusaders are coming"
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-09-18 14:35:43
Link | Quote | Reply

What is worth noting is how fast these guys are progressing and how well organized they are. Either they have very smart leaders or Idk who's backing them up with greater resources cause they're much stronger than any other terrorists we've seen before.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-18 14:36:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
What is worth noting is how fast these guys are progressing and how well organized they are. Either they have very smart leaders or Idk who's backing them up with greater resources cause they're much stronger than any other terrorists we've seen before.

Not really. Lots of terrorist groups have always had sleeper cells.
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-09-18 14:37:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Just *** kill them all.
They are very Islamic.
And you are their western equivalent.
I wish we could send the 0.0001% of radicals we have in the region to the moon, to meet up with your radicals, so they could kill each other all they want and leave the rest of us to live in peace.

I would buy you a first class seat on that shuttle.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-09-18 14:39:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey, it's that blame the US excuse that pops up every so often. Because Bin Laden and the ISIS leadership weren't radicalized before the US gave them some funding.

As incredibly stupid as the US is in handing out guns and equipment like candy, these jihadists have their designs on a restoration of the caliphate due to their interpretation of religion. Full stop.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-09-18 14:39:18
Link | Quote | Reply

ISIS was armed and trained by the US as a counter-Assad force. They were supplied so many American toys, they decided to turn their guns on the American Backed Iraqi tyranical government and kill everyone who stands in their way.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-18 14:39:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Maldini said: »

Just *** kill them all.
They are very Islamic.
I wish we could send the 0.0001% of radicals we have in the region to the moon, to meet up with your radicals, so they could kill each other all they want and leave the rest of us to live in peace.

Actually I'm not, that would be groups like Hutaree, or the KKK.

I belong nowhere near that shuttle, but you can't keep denying the truth that both religions derive from a very *** up source, but like all apologists, you will probably attempt to.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-09-18 14:41:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Hey, it's that blame the US excuse that pops up every so often. Because Bin Laden and the ISIS leadership weren't radicalized before the US gave them some funding.

They were always Radical. Every society, region, culture and religion has radical elements. What sets them apart is that they have American made weapons and they're using them.

Give the same weapons to some ultra right wing militias in the US and you will see fireworks.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-09-18 14:41:39
Link | Quote | Reply

ISIS was armed and trained by the US as a counter-Assad force. They were supplied so many American toys, they decided to turn their guns on the American Backed Iraqi tyranical government and kill everyone who stands in their way.
I don't know, Al Qaeda got stuff from 'the good guys' too but they never seemed as threatening. Maybe it's just the momentum.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-18 14:42:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Just *** kill them all.
They are very Islamic.

I belong nowhere near that shuttle, but you can't keep denying the truth that both religions derive from a very *** up source, but like all apologists, you will probably attempt to.

What the hell is Hutaree? Sounds like it should be the name of a craft store chain. "In news today, Jo-Ann Fabrics bought out rival chain Hutaree."
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-09-18 14:42:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Just *** kill them all.
They are very Islamic.

How do you pass judgment on 1.6 billion based on the acts of less than 50,000 who have lived in a state of perpetual war for the past 20 years?
By Jetackuu 2014-09-18 14:44:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »

What the hell is Hutaree? Sounds like it should be the name of a craft store chain. "In news today, Jo-Ann Fabrics bought out rival chain Hutaree."
Some Christian radicals.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-18 14:44:33
Link | Quote | Reply

How do you pass judgment on 1.6 billion based on the acts of less than 50,000 who have lived in a state of perpetual war for the past 20 years?
I'm not, I'm passing judgement on your shitty religion. Not to mention your assertion by that statement is ludicrous.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-18 14:45:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know, Al Qaeda got stuff from 'the good guys' too but they never seemed as threatening. Maybe it's just the momentum.

Al Queda didn't fly a plain into one of your major cities, a government installation and various other stuff. :x

ISIS does seem like a legitimate terrorist threat, and I'm an advocate of stomping them out.

But despite my stance on religion, I'm not all for lumping them in with all Muslims. That's hardly appropriate. "Most Muslims" are like "Most Christians", etc. Mostly good people with some silly religious ideas.

It's the fanatics that are problematic.
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-09-18 14:45:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Al Qaeda were armed and trained in the 80's to counter the USSR's expansion into Afghanistan. Their arsenal was severely depleted during that war as the US never openly backed them. It was all covert and the focus of the supplies were anti-aircraft.
Their arsenal was further obliterated when the US went to war with the taliban.

The arms ISIS were supplied just last year, 2013, were cutting edge. Their ability to defeat American trained standing arab armies wouldn't from their superior numbers, support or warfare prowess
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-09-18 14:46:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Isis didn't attack where I live either, so that's not the point.

edit: @Ramyrez
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-09-18 14:47:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not, I'm passing judgement on your shitty religion. Not to mention your assertion by that statement is ludicrous.
You are part of the problem and not the solution. The world would find peace faster without people like you living in it.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-09-18 14:47:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »

They were always Radical. Every society, region, culture and religion has radical elements. What sets them apart is that they have American made weapons and they're using them.

Give the same weapons to some ultra right wing militias in the US and you will see fireworks.

And the global recruiting drive? Was that American too? Al Qaeda in Iraq was a thing before Assad was a thing and the group splintered off due to ideological differences. They were still organized, very much so still radical and had these designs long before any CIA goons tried to turn them against Bashar Al-Assad. I concede that giving them weapons, Humvees and other equipment is my government acting like a bunch of dumbfucks once again.

We learned nothing from Bin Laden.

These cretin are a threat to all civilized society and their rapid gains are both a result of a destabilized Syria thanks to the civil war there thanks to decades of tyrannical Assad family rule and the destabilization of Iraq which is a result of Sunni/Shia divides that long predate any Western intervention. Islam is at war with itself and all I need to do is look at facebook and watch the ignorance unfold. It's tribalism layered upon modern conflicts layered upon American interference.

To say it's all the CIAs fault or the West is to ignore the multi-faceted problem that births international movements like this one.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-18 14:49:03
Link | Quote | Reply

You are part of the problem and not the solution. The world would find peace faster without people like you living in it.
lol, no but whatever helps you sleep at night.

Humanity will never truly know peace, there is always war. We may one day stop killing each other in large numbers, but we will still be at war with something.

Trying to figure out if it will be bugs (NPH <3), other aliens, mutants, zombies or robots first, but we will always be at war.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-18 14:50:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Isis didn't attack where I live either, so that's not the point.

edit: @Ramyrez

Err...no. I realize that.

I just mean that even compared to 13 years ago we get information so much faster, and in much greater quantity.

I'm just saying I don't think they're necessary any "worse" (not to say they're not bad enough as it is); just that you just get much more coming down the pipeline in information.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-09-18 14:50:19
Link | Quote | Reply

When you're all under my Infinite Tsukiyomi they'll be peace.
[+]
First Page 2 ... 8 9 10