Execute Woman - Starving & Abusing 9-year-old

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » execute woman - starving & abusing 9-year-old
execute woman - starving & abusing 9-year-old
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 13 14 15
By Jetackuu 2014-09-18 10:32:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
So many of the people in there on drug charges or repetition of minor criminal charges are literally HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE or at least borderline intellectual functioning. Not to mention have a host of other psychological problems.

They don't need prison time, they need a support structure. Which is why in many cases they actually do well in prison. They get a set schedule. They get their meds. They get structure.

Then they do their nickel and get released and end up right back doing dumb things because they really don't know any different.

When people say "criminals are really stupid," they don't know how literal that statement can be for so many of the repeat offenders of minor crimes.

They're born not that bright in the first place, are raised in terrible environments never given the help they need, and then are set loose on the world as "adults".

But by all means, let's keep incarcerating them and -- worse -- keep them locked up with the actual violent offenders and the like that people don't want to put to death.

You want to talk about cruel and unusual.
While there's a subset of the population that is exactly as you describe, To declare "so many" is ludicrous and quite frankly rude.

I agree that there should be a separate place for "criminals" that need rehabilitation or treatment for something, and those that are a total detriment to society and should never be mixed with society again. I'm not pro murder though, even as much as the emotional side of me thinks the same way you guys do.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-18 10:33:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
I find it amusing that Jet, lord master of personal defense and gun rights (the ability for the individual to protect oneself with lethal force) is trying to moralize on the ability of the state to dole out capital punishment based on the sum will of the people (the legality of capital punishment per state).

Popular =/= right and I'm for self defense, not killing somebody that's already neutralized as a threat to society.

You can find it amusing all you want.

Oh and inb4 the pro-life crowd talkin' about dead fetuses being murder 'n ***.

also: individual rights>state/federal in my book, always.

What about the individual rights of the tortured, murdered victim to justice?

There is no justice in executions, taking their life does nothing for the victim, they're dead.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-09-18 10:34:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I find it amusing that Jet, lord master of personal defense and gun rights (the ability for the individual to protect oneself with lethal force) is trying to moralize on the ability of the state to dole out capital punishment based on the sum will of the people (the legality of capital punishment per state).

Popular =/= right and I'm for self defense, not killing somebody that's already neutralized as a threat to society.

You can find it amusing all you want.

Oh and inb4 the pro-life crowd talkin' about dead fetuses being murder 'n ***.

also: individual rights>state/federal in my book, always.

What about the individual rights of the tortured, murdered victim to justice?
Justice has nothing to do with ending another persons life. You have that confused with vengence.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-18 10:39:36
Link | Quote | Reply

While there's a subset of the population that is exactly as you describe, To declare "so many" is ludicrous and quite frankly rude.

One of us deals with these people for a living. One of us doesn't.

I make no claim as to what percentage of them fall into this category.

But the physical number is not a small one. "So many" is not ludicrous, rude, nor inaccurate.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-18 10:41:22
Link | Quote | Reply

But the physical number is not a small one. "So many" is not ludicrous, rude, nor inaccurate.

anecdotal ***, and yes it still is ludicrous, rude and inaccurate to assert as such.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-18 10:42:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Justice has nothing to do with ending another persons life. You have that confused with vengence.
There is no justice in executions, taking their life does nothing for the victim, they're dead.

I'm sorry. I cannot agree with you. Every fiber of my being says otherwise. In questionable cases, I am very much in favor of avoiding the death penalty. But in a case such as this?

They've destroyed a life and potentially negatively impacted in a very serious fashion many others.

What is justice, in this instance, if not vengeance?
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-09-18 10:43:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Perhaps, perhaps not, nut at least most here aren't low enough to sink to the level of knocking on somebody picking up a part time job to bring in extra $ while they continue to look for work in their actual field, but apparently you are.

I'm lower than whale ***, ***-o.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-18 10:43:40
Link | Quote | Reply

anecdotal ***, and yes it still is ludicrous, rude and inaccurate to assert as such.

To quote a prison movie,

"How can you be so obtuse? Is it deliberate?"
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2014-09-18 10:44:22
Link | Quote | Reply

not killing somebody that's already neutralized as a threat to society

As long as a person like that is left alive, they will always be a threat.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-09-18 10:45:17
Link | Quote | Reply

My slant towards the death sentence for proven serial killers, murderers, torturers, sadists, rapists and other such violent offenders isn't steeped in vengeance or justice but simply that you've broken the contract between your fellow man and thus no longer harbor any potential within society. You're a mad dog to be locked up for the rest of your life and a waste of precious resources that could be used on others who aren't raving maniacs. You exhausted your ability to be rehabilitated the moment you chose to commit an offense against life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Goodbye and no one will miss you, your wretched existence is a blight on life and your decomposing corpse can be better served nourishing trees, microorganisms or anything more useful than you. It's a tragedy that life need be taken but like the slaughter of animals for food, you'll hopefully serve a better purpose elsewhere.

And that was my Shakespeare for the day.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-09-18 10:49:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sorry. I cannot agree with you. Every fiber of my being says otherwise. In questionable cases, I am very much in favor of avoiding the death penalty. But in a case such as this?

They've destroyed a life and potentially negatively impacted in a very serious fashion many others.

There is no justice in vengeance, you're reacting, emotionally and not logically or ethically.

To quote a prison movie,

"How can you be so obtuse? Is it deliberate?"

I'm not being obtuse at all, but several of the other posters here including you are.

Fuzzy britches.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-09-18 10:50:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Are we glossing over the fact that she spent a decade in prison before being executed?
By Jetackuu 2014-09-18 10:50:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Grumpy Cat said: »

not to society.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-09-18 10:51:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm fully behind rehab for non-violent offenders but the moment you cross into murder, rape, violent torture or any such offenses against life and we can prove you did that ***? Nope, you're done. That's it. You're license to exist has been revoked.

Sorry, there are too many other people out here who could use those resources to better themselves to waste it on someone who kills in cold blood or makes a habit of killing people for a living.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-18 10:52:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
There is no justice in vengeance, you're reacting, emotionally and not logically or ethically.

So answer my question.

What is justice in this instance, oh wise one?

Quote:
I'm not being obtuse at all, but several of the other posters here including you are.

You need to copy Nausi's avatar. You two argue in the same way when you haven't a leg to stand on.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-09-18 10:52:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Ever hear the phrase an eye for an eye makes the world blind?

The whole point is that we are supposed to be better than those we lock away not the ones that sink to the same level.

You're actually starting to sound like a verse out of the bible calling for divine retribution to this wrong doing.

Their deaths serve no purpose. It doesn't bring anyone back. It doesn't change anything.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-18 10:53:50
Link | Quote | Reply

My slant towards the death sentence for proven serial killers, murderers, torturers, sadists, rapists and other such violent offenders isn't steeped in vengeance or justice but simply that you've broken the contract between your fellow man and thus no longer harbor any potential within society. You're a mad dog to be locked up for the rest of your life and a waste of precious resources that could be used on others who aren't raving maniacs. You exhausted your ability to be rehabilitated the moment you chose to commit an offense against life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Goodbye and no one will miss you, your wretched existence is a blight on life and your decomposing corpse can be better served nourishing trees, microorganisms or anything more useful than you. It's a tragedy that life need be taken but like the slaughter of animals for food, you'll hopefully serve a better purpose elsewhere.

And that was my Shakespeare for the day.
2 points:

It takes more resources to kill a prisoner than it does to keep them locked up.

What about these 146 people that were let off death row:

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/innocence-list-those-freed-death-row

(and the possibly many more that were innocent).

In those cases, we as a society are guilty of killing innocent people for no reason, what justice is there in that?

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Are we glossing over the fact that she spent a decade in prison before being executed?
I was going to bring that up earlier when talking about costs, but I couldn't find a cost per year analysis, so had to go with the average (or maybe minimum, forget now) cost of Texas executions. What's your point? are you saying people don't have their legal right to trial and appeal?
By Jetackuu 2014-09-18 10:54:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm fully behind rehab for non-violent offenders but the moment you cross into murder, rape, violent torture or any such offenses against life and we can prove you did that ***? Nope, you're done. That's it. You're license to exist has been revoked.

Sorry, there are too many other people out here who could use those resources to better themselves to waste it on someone who kills in cold blood or makes a habit of killing people for a living.
There's no 100% proof in our court system, and again: it costs more to kill them.
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2014-09-18 10:55:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Grumpy Cat said: »

not to society.

Yes to society.

Unless you want to be completely ignorant of how jacked up our legal system is, where loopholes and cracks in the system are regularly getting criminals that were CONVICTED out of prison on technicalities. Just look at the loony in NY a couple years ago, murdered his grandmother with a hammer and was supposed to be in prison for life, got out and within a week posted up on his roof with a rifle, called 911 for a fire and then blew away the fire department when they showed up.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-09-18 10:55:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
That's not unusual. I think the average wait time for someone on death row is 14 years or something like that. It takes time to exhaust the appeals process and such.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-18 10:55:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Refreshazure said: »
Don't get me wrong: the *** is a waste of oxygen, I know plenty just the same, but as a civilized society we shouldn't be in the business of murder, they're caught and can't harm society anymore, there's no excuse or justification for killing them.

ya it wrong to kill in civilized society and it may cost more but i still think we need to look past that and kill her, child mutilation/murder needs a death sentenced she needs to be in the ground and you cant let that kind of murder go or there may be some one who will mimic her and go "i can get way with it o only get only get life".

Any way back to are back to are regular scheduled drone attacks on muslims
So you're looking past the points that matter in favor of your sick and twisted delusions of justice?

Some of you are just bloodthirsty, it's quite disgusting, and I bet every one of you would be in favor of public executions, and go watch.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-09-18 10:56:07
Link | Quote | Reply

We need to bring down the cost of executions then and I already stipulate in cases where we cannot prove beyond reasonable doubt that individual commit the crime that life imprisonment should be the default sentence.
By Blazed1979 2014-09-18 10:56:33
Link | Quote | Reply

This was enlightening. Thank you for sharing.
I'm slapping myself for having never seen these angles.

EDIT: I'm pro Death penalty for 1 reason; it is the strongest deterrent. If it was on the table in a lot more states I'm certain it would take a sizable chunk out of certain crimes over the medium-long term.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-09-18 10:56:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Refreshazure said: »
Don't get me wrong: the *** is a waste of oxygen, I know plenty just the same, but as a civilized society we shouldn't be in the business of murder, they're caught and can't harm society anymore, there's no excuse or justification for killing them.

ya it wrong to kill in civilized society and it may cost more but i still think we need to look past that and kill her, child mutilation/murder needs a death sentenced she needs to be in the ground and you cant let that kind of murder go or there may be some one who will mimic her and go "i can get way with it o only get only get life".

Any way back to are back to are regular scheduled drone attacks on muslims
So it's wrong but do it anyways? lol...
By Jetackuu 2014-09-18 10:56:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

So answer my question.

What is justice in this instance, oh wise one?

Quote:

You need to copy Nausi's avatar. You two argue in the same way when you haven't a leg to stand on.

There is no justice when an innocent dies, you're the one without legs in this case sir.
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-09-18 10:57:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Then the person filling out their death certificate is either going beyond the scope of their job duty and editorializing the death certificate, or they're selecting a drop down menu on a computer screen and it's the closest thing that fits.

Edit: That or -- doubtful this is the case -- they mean that this person was a murdered and was therefore justifiably executed as such.
When a person is executed it is listed as a homicide. Same with police kills.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-09-18 10:58:14
Link | Quote | Reply

We need to bring down the cost of executions then and I already stipulate in cases where we cannot prove beyond reasonable doubt that individual commit the crime that life imprisonment should be the default sentence.

How do we bring down the cost without allowing them due process of the law?

and there's been many cases of innocents being found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. There's no excuse to kill these people, no reason to, nothing is being gained from it, it only creates more needless death.
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-09-18 10:58:19
Link | Quote | Reply

execution is murder, ergo unjustifiable.

To quote a great philosophy; "But the question of justice has concerned me greatly of late. And I say to any creature who may be listening, there can be no justice so long as laws are absolute."
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-09-18 10:58:26
Link | Quote | Reply

In order to stop them we become them!!!!
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 13 14 15